daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 13th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #1121
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 798

Looks like Hymuak House on Duke St is getting the student refurb treatment by the same peeps who are doing St Andrews Church. Looks like quite a good job from the renders.
http://www.propertyfrontiers.com/Int...mmodation.aspx

Sponsored Links

Old December 13th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #1122
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 2139

Great news.
Old December 15th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #1123
buggedboy

Seems to have sold out already.
http://www.principalinternational.co...ty/duke-street
Old December 19th, 2011, 06:38 AM   #1124
Medici
Beppo

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedboy View Post
Looks like Hymuak House on Duke St is getting the student refurb treatment by the same peeps who are doing St Andrews Church. Looks like quite a good job from the renders.
http://www.propertyfrontiers.com/Int...mmodation.aspx

Does anyone know if Frensons are being held to account regarding empty Georgian terraces on Duke Street? These really detract at the top end of the road. Duke Street could do with a big hotel in the way Hanover Street has been redesigned, perhaps on the site of the former car park near the junction with Slater Street. Also does anyone know when work on the hotel in Chinatown is due to start? Duke Street should be brought back into use as a major city centre thoroughfare connecting the Anglican cathedral and China town with L1 and the waterfront.
Medici no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #1125
buggedboy

There was going to be a smaller hotel on the site of that vacant land, but LCC refused it on teh basis that the site would also contain a big MSCP. This was deemed unacceptable.

As to teh Scandanavian Hotel. The last thig I hear was that the Cabinet approved (last month I think) a report relating the the valuation of the land that was CPO'd all that time ago. Only once that is settled I think will the scheme go ahead.
Old January 6th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #1126
buggedboy

Application gone in for a bar at 25 Parr St. The same company behind Socio-Rehab in Manchester, which is ironic because the proposed site is next door to Brink.
Old January 19th, 2012, 01:26 AM   #1127
Portobello Red

Likes (Received): 1536

Pic by exacta2a
image hosted on flickr
Portobello Red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 02:06 AM   #1128
tomo90

Likes (Received): 186

Ropewalks still needs a lot of work. I was walking around there on sunday and the area around Base2stay is a bit didgy and thats putting it politely.
tomo90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #1129
Neilsatiscitycentre

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo90 View Post
Ropewalks still needs a lot of work. I was walking around there on sunday and the area around Base2stay is a bit didgy and thats putting it politely.
Correct, yet the movers and shakers at the likes of Liverpool City Council would have you believe all is wonderful. If they stopped patting themselves on the back for a minute and took a walk around the area, they'd see that there is loads and loads still to be done. Very, very little has improved on Duke Street itself for the last 6 or 7 years, for example.

Anyone ever take a look at the litter which collects behind the railings at The Liverpool Institution at the junction of Seel Street and Colquitt Street? And those student flats are lived in! Disgusting! Despite me sending countless of emails over a long period of time to my local councillors nothing was ever done about it. What a disgraceful way to treat one of the most historic buildings in that part of town. Shameful!
Neilsatiscitycentre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 11:42 PM   #1130
tomo90

Part of it looks like it needs a bulldozer.
Old January 20th, 2012, 05:51 AM   #1131
Dane_e

Likes (Received): 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo90 View Post
I think this is the same for the entire city centre. While there is continuing progress, much of the commerical district is a mess i.e. Dale Street, Victoria
Street and Tithbarn Street. The same goes for the gateway area around Lime Street and the lower end of Brownlow Hill/ London Road.
Dane_e no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #1132
tomo90

I disagree with Victoria Street I think that once the old Natwest becomes something then that will be fine. Dale Street is a mess but has a lot of potential. Lime Street is embarrassing (the actual street not the station).
Old January 20th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #1133
PhilG
Liverpool

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilsatiscitycentre View Post
Anyone ever take a look at the litter which collects behind the railings at The Liverpool Institution at the junction of Seel Street and Colquitt Street? And those student flats are lived in! Disgusting! Despite me sending countless of emails over a long period of time to my local councillors nothing was ever done about it. What a disgraceful way to treat one of the most historic buildings in that part of town. Shameful!
It'll only get worse i'm afraid, i've emailed Liverpool Direct numerous times and nothing ever gets done, have you ever looked slightly off road at grass verges/bushes, the rule seems to be that as long as the immediate pavement is clear then leave the rest, they usually blame a landlord/occupier and then say there is nothing they can do, there is no enforcement these days.

You should see some of the streets around Anfield, it's embarrassing given the amount of away fans and visitors that are literally wading through filth, i've sent in pictures in the vain hope of shaming someone but to no avail, it's accepted these days.
Old January 20th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #1134
buggedboy

El Bandito Tequileria opens on Slater StreetEl Bandito aims to take our bad experiences with Tequila, and exchange them for good ones instead. This will be done, for it is the way of El Bandito!
We asked Danny Mcniell what is unique about Bandito, what makes it special. This was his reply:
El bandito is owned by the two local lads who own Santa Chupitos. John Ennis and Matt Farrell. It is contained within the same building as Santa Chupitos, however the concept and actual entrance are completely separate. I was very fortunate enough, after working for a year for matt and john in santa chupitos, that they gave me the opportunity to design and run a new project. Myself, Matt and John converted what used to be a newsagents into what you now know as El bandito. We like to think of it as a 'Tequileria'. It has a very dark, rustic interior, with a few splashes of colour from the hand made mexican tiles. It's only a small space with a capacity of 30.
We're not labelling ourselves as a shooter bar or anything like that. We are a full on tequila bar. All our cocktails are tequila based, but don't worry there is something in there for everyone. I devised the menu to accommodate people who have had a rough experience with tequila in the past, and those who already enjoy the sweet vegetal flavours it is so famous for. What we want to do is to educate people about tequila. So many of us have a bad perception about it, but in truth, it's one of the finest spirits in the world, just people haven't had access to decent tequila. We're bridging that gap and showing guests just how fantastic tequila is, not just with the quality of the products or cocktails, but with our actual own knowledge. Come down and we will tell you everything you need to know about this wonderful spirit, and hopefully make sure you have fun along the way!
Danny.
So there you have it.... another amazing hang out for you all to fall in love with. This is why we love the RopeWalks so! Sigh...
Old February 1st, 2012, 12:57 AM   #1135
buggedboy

Banksy rat street art on whitehouse pub to be preserved

The Whitehouse. Its been bought numerous times by various people aiming to capitalise on the now infamous Banksy mural of a rat which takes up its entire facade. Located on the corner of Berry Street and Duke Street, the aim is to restore the former pub for use as a modern day premises.

In a positive step towards actually making this happen, Liverpool city council has approved plans for it's renovation - but this time we think it might happen. Ascot Property have secured £400,000 for the regeneration works, with the building eventually planned to house a national coffee chain. No word yet as to which one.

All of this is fantastic, as it signifies a marked investment at the entrance to Duke Street, a part of RopeWalks with huge business potential. Many fine buildings line the street awaiting entrepreneurs to take them on and capitalise on the RopeWalks' overall trend-bucking ascension in the face of gloomy national economy figures. Indeed, Liverpool as a whole is the fastest growing economy outside London. RopeWalks is a major factor in this.

We can't wait for them to get started!

http://www.ropewalksliverpool.com/bl...o-be-preserved

Interesting to see if this one finally gets off the ground. Not sure how Banksy would feel about his work adorning a Costa Coffee.
Old February 8th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #1136
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 2139

New Seel Street ‘creative hub’ granted 4am licence

A FOUR-floor creative hub that could attract renowned music artists and exhibitors to Liverpool has been approved.

The venue located at 40 Seel Street in the city centre and described as “hugely exciting” by councillors and businessmen was given the green light yesterday.

Owned by Frensons Ltd the premises will house a recording studio, photographic studio, a band rehearsal room and bar and exhibition space.

Applicant Alfie Torres insisted the venue would not become “a vertical drinking establishment”, but would be “dynamic and a boundary-less use of space.”

Mr Torres, who is behind The Masque, Jacaranda and The Peacock, said: “We are speaking to a worldwide arts exhibition to give 3D surround sound visual experience for 150 people, launched with the Arts Council.”

Mr Torres said his vision was to unveil a facility akin to the alternative Kazimier nightspot in Wolstenholme Square which grew in popularity during 2011.

Liverpool council licensing committee chairman Cllr Christine Banks granted the application to allow the as-yet unnamed venue, where studio Binary Cell is currently based, to trade and serve alcohol until 4am.

Those behind the project said they had spent £150,000 so far and would likely invest a further £150,000 to complete the venue.

Cabaret nights could become a feature of the nightspot and actress and comedian Chrissy Rock has been earmarked for a performance.

PC Stuart Moore, Merseyside Police’s licensing officer, successfully argued for the closing time to be reduced from 6am to 4am

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...#ixzz1lniQOGQB
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #1137
buggedboy

Didn't do too well with the jacaranda or masque did he?
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #1138
Hans Groover

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
New Seel Street ‘creative hub’ granted 4am licence

A FOUR-floor creative hub that could attract renowned music artists and exhibitors to Liverpool has been approved.

The venue located at 40 Seel Street in the city centre and described as “hugely exciting” by councillors and businessmen was given the green light yesterday.

Owned by Frensons Ltd the premises will house a recording studio, photographic studio, a band rehearsal room and bar and exhibition space.
Why not just reopen The Flying Picket?!?
Hans Groover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #1139
buggedboy

The owners don't want it as a music venue. They chucked em out to develop it, but the recession hit. Now they are stuck with a building they cannot sell but are still trying.
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #1140
Hans Groover

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedboy View Post
The owners don't want it as a music venue. They chucked em out to develop it, but the recession hit. Now they are stuck with a building they cannot sell but are still trying.
Another example of why there should be a punitive tax levy for unproductive land grabbing.
Hans Groover no está en línea   Reply With Quote