• daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on one | forums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > The Urban Tourist

The Urban Tourist For those who enjoy big city traveling

Old February 11th, 2012, 05:39 AM   #61
Los Earth

Likes (Received): 153

Too all of you who say there is no difference, look at this video
of Europe. Tourists, no?
Los Earth no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 23rd, 2012, 03:49 AM   #62
Darryl

Likes (Received): 24

My answer to the original question generally is that I prefer to visit Western Europe for the simple fact that I have learned that when travelling to poorer places I dislike the way I am treated because I feel like a walking dollar bill. To explain further I mean that I feel that when people are nice to me I do not feel it is genuine but rather because they want some sort of payment. I feel that many people are out to scam me.

For instance, I have been to Prague twice. While Prague is beautiful, the cab drivers constantly try to scam and overcharge you. I experienced this multiple times. People come up to you in the train station and say nice things like "Do you need help finding your train?" when they are not actually offering out of the goodness of their heart, they mean to receive payment when they've completed the act of "goodwill". You go to a club there and an attractive person smiles at you or starts to engage you in conversation and at first you think "this is so nice" only to find they are a prostitute looking, again, for payment. This sort of thing happened repeatedly and really grates at my nerves. I'd like to just be treated nicely as I would to them without anything expected in return.

I got this same feeling in Russia. They expect you to pay them to be friendly to you. LOL Actually, in Russia there is no such thing as friendliness. They just want payment if they are to help you in any way. You won't find a smile anywhere in the country.

When I am in Germany for instance, I don't have this same feeling at all. If someone offers to help you find a train it is simply because they want to help. If they say hello to you at a bar it is because they are interested in meeting you or talking to you. Thats it.
Darryl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 02:44 PM   #63
Laurentzius
Self-styled Vampirologist

Likes (Received): 1779

I don't mean to imply your experiences are inaccurate or irrelevant, but I still think it's a gross exaggeration and quite stereotyping. The Eastern Europeans or more exactly the Slavs might not be as open and friendly or extrovert if you wish as the Southern Europeans for example, but that doesn't make them some sad suicidal people who turn human only when they want to scam somebody. It's just the way they are, and once you get to know them you'll see they are not really different. And to give the Germans as an opposite example is quite hilarious to be honest.

Actually I prefer them to behave this way, at least they are true to themselves. I find it quite annoying when people in the US and some Western European countries give you those big ass smiles automatically every time you look at them although you are a perfect stranger. You could tell those smiles are fake and empty and those people couldn't care less if you dropped dead at their feet.

I'm well aware I'm stereotyping as well, but I'm only trying to show you how this looks from a different point of view. We shouldn't judge people just because their behaviour doesn't fit our own cultural paradigm.

As for people trying to take advantage of you when travelling, try not to stand out in the crowd. People want to make money from tourists in such hot spots like Prague everywhere in the world. Besides you should be suspicious of any hot girl hitting on you, unless you're quite a looker. Anyway, there are lots of good and helpful people around who wouldn't take any money for their help, at least in my country/this part of E Europe. The problem is that quite often tourists shun them away being afraid they want to scam them or kidnap them and sell their organs Hostel style.
Laurentzius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:03 PM   #64
Darryl

Likes (Received): 24

It's not stereotyping, it's a simple fact. The facts are that these situations happened to me on multiple occasions while spending 2 or 3 days in Prague on two different occasions. That is my actual experience.

In comparison, I have been to Germany 12 or 13 times for much longer periods (I actually lived in Germany for 6 months during college) and never once did something like that occur.

I think I just prefer visiting a place where I am on more "equal footing" with the residents there. I am not at all rich, or flashy. I'm just solidly middle-class. I feel I get to see people's true selves when they are not trying to scam me or get some sort of payment from me. My visit and my experience is more pleasant and fulfilling in this environment (where tourists or foreigners are not preyed upon).
Darryl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:31 PM   #65
Laurentzius

I guess you're right in a way, foreign tourists tend to be preyed upon in poorer countries but I've never imagined it's so bad that makes some people avoid them in future. I wonder what places the likes of Bill Gates visit.

Either way, I find it hard to believe that while in Prague you've never met nice people not interested in scamming you or that in Germany nice people have been crowding to meet you.
Laurentzius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #66
Name user 1
user1

Likes (Received): 338

I lived in Prague too and funny thinks was that especially American expected that people will show interest in them because they are from USA. They were loud at public places... or public transport and forget to realise that they are as quest here...

Prague is one of most visited place on Earth and visitors should realise where are money there is crime...
Name user 1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #67
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 1715

I think it has some true core that tourists have to be more cautious of being overcharged or scammed in the new member states than the old ones on average. Even though there is also the general rule that tourist hot spots use to be even more risky in that regards, no matter where.

I can understand it to some extend but I'd hope that it gets less as the new member states get wealthier. Scamming tourists also damages your foreign reputation a lot as well, and tourist sectors also in the new member states will start realizing at some point that its a big long term damage for some small short term profit it causes.

That said, I have not experienced any scamming on me so far, more than one could expect in Vienna as well (overpriced food in touristy restaurants for less than average quality). I have heard various stories from other people I know however.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:30 AM   #68
Los Earth

Likes (Received): 153

Europe does have a difference of borders, No? I mean poor countries is where scammers are (?) you can't argue with that
Los Earth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:31 AM   #69
MachoToughGuy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentzius View Post

Actually I prefer them to behave this way, at least they are true to themselves. I find it quite annoying when people in the US and some Western European countries give you those big ass smiles automatically every time you look at them although you are a perfect stranger. You could tell those smiles are fake and empty and those people couldn't care less if you dropped dead at their feet.
I have found Europeans in most countries to be cold, impolite and far less falsely polite than Americans. There's no difference between East and West, both are as cold as each other on average.

Which Western European countries would you say are falsely polite like the US?
MachoToughGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:39 AM   #70
Laurentzius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Earth View Post
Europe does have a difference of borders, No? I mean poor countries is where scammers are (?) you can't argue with that
It depends on the magnitude of the scams. The biggest scammers in Europe work in the City of London and other such banking/financial centers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachoToughGuy View Post
Which Western European countries would you say are falsely polite like the US?
I guess the UK and the Nordic countries, but admittedly it happens more in the service sector than on the streets.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:58 PM   #71
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3680

nice discussion...

Tags
europe