daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 10th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #21
fbeavis

Likes (Received): 146

Suicide is considered a grave sin in the Abrahamic religions (Xtianity, Islam, and Judaism)

That's why the suicide rate is low in religious countries such as Brasil, the Philippines, or just about any Islamic nation.
fbeavis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 10th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #22
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 6454

UK suicide stats for 2010 were published recently.

Key points

Overall rate, 11.1 per 100,000 adults. About 8 times higher than the homicide rate....

In 2010 there were 5,608 suicides in people aged 15 years and over in the UK, 67 fewer than the 5,675 recorded in 2009

There were 4,231 suicides among men in 2010 (17.0 per 100,000 population)

In women there were 1,377 suicides in 2010 (5.3 per 100,000 population)

In 2010 suicide rates were highest in those aged 45-74 at 17.7 per 100,000 for men and 6.0 per 100,000 for women

There were big reductions in the suicide rate during the 80s and 90s but the trend has been flat over the past few years.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/subnat...-bulletin.html
Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #23
pesto

Likes (Received): 328

A couple of thoughts.

The main reason that that developing countries are low is that people die at younger ages, record keeping is poor and administrative accuracy doubtful.

The "Ibrahimic countries" theory doesn't seem to work very well since it would include Eastern Europe, which is at the very top. There is probably also some doubt about the "low" suicide levels as well since countries with religious influence over the govt. will get pressure to underreport.

The highest rates are NOT among developed countries; as mentioned above, they are among Eastern European countries. The presumed reasons are lack of a strong cultural ethic against suicide and lack of hope due to authoritarian govts. and weak economies.

Japan has always been high, since suicide is considered quite acceptable by many. France and Belgium (largely Catholic) have recently seen increases strong enough to make them local issues socially. The causes are controversial.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #24
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 6454

I have heard it said that in countries with a strong taboo against suicide official records are often likely to say 'slipped and fell off the balcony' rather than 'committed suicide by jumping' to preserve the feelings if the family as it is often considered shameful...
Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 06:09 AM   #25
SydneyCity

Likes (Received): 163

Australia is 9.7/100,000, which is lower than the USA but higher than the UK. For Aboriginal Australians, it is closer to 30/100,000.
Old February 12th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #26
aaabbbccc

Likes (Received): 148

I was reading an article in a Moroccan Newspaper and saw it on a documentary TV show as well
Suicide is a growing problem but not an epidemic yet , in one week there were 7 cases of suicide in Morocco and in one month there were 28 cases based on the news article . Most of them are Cops , wealthy business men , and young girls , some were older people , the most common method , shooting themselves and pills
Although in Morocco you can face up to 5 years in prison for such act , the ones that failed to kill themselves got help and did not get punished for their actions and I am glad that they got help . None of them as far as I know were charged with attempted suicide , there were even some non moroccans in that category , they also got some help. I will try to get a source for the suicide rate in Morocco , I know it is relatively low but still it is a concern , since it is growing problem there
Old February 12th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #27
Copperknickers

Likes (Received): 28

Sorry, but the idea that developed countries have high suicide rates is ridiculous. The only reason why this is so is that developing countries do not log them correctly. It is estimated that 54% of all suicides take place in China and India, though they only have about 2/3 of the world's population, together. In fact, the pressure of life in developing countries is much greater: most suicides there take place due to financial problems, failure in exams and failure to live up to the expectations of parents and grandparents. It's much less in developed countries about lifestyle, more about loneliness and social problems indirectly associated with work or not connected at all.
Copperknickers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #28
Prythen
Custom User Title n°27

Likes (Received): 13

Well, in the map shown on Wikipedia (2004 ), it says, less than 3/100 000 for Morocco.
Prythen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 01:28 AM   #29
aaabbbccc

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prythen View Post
Well, in the map shown on Wikipedia (2004 ), it says, less than 3/100 000 for Morocco.
that is 2004 , but recently it has increased , nothing major yet as I said before but it is a concern
Old February 13th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #30
Prythen
Custom User Title n°27

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaabbbccc View Post
that is 2004 , but recently it has increased , nothing major yet as I said before but it is a concern
Ok.
I wonder if they did another study on that
Prythen no está en línea   Reply With Quote