daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Old January 11th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #161
Kenni
Super Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
For the upteenth time, it would cost more to renovate the Coliseum than it would to build a new stadium. The NFL isn't going to play at the Coliseum anytime soon.
Um, we're just talking?

Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 12th, 2012, 08:59 AM   #162
Lord David

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
For the upteenth time, it would cost more to renovate the Coliseum than it would to build a new stadium. The NFL isn't going to play at the Coliseum anytime soon.
Of course not. Any expansion/upgrade to the stadium will be Olympics specific and would benefit the Universities in the region more than the NFL.
Lord David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #163
Jericho-79

Likes (Received): 5

Hey everyone. Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead.

But I have one question.

Is it true that the Coliseum is located in a sketchy neighborhood?

I've heard many Los Angeles residents say that the University Park area is a bad place to be, unlike L.A. Live in South Park.
Jericho-79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #164
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 349

The Coliseum is not in a great neighborhood. But it's not the worst either. It's right across the street from USC, which is a pretty safe campus considering the location. That area is up and coming though with the new Village development.

http://village.usc.edu/
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #165
soup or man
Diamondz...

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post

But I have one question.

I've heard many Los Angeles residents say that the University Park area is a bad place to be, unlike L.A. Live in South Park.
Nowhere near as bad as people like to say.
Old February 12th, 2012, 01:04 AM   #166
Jericho-79

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
The Coliseum is not in a great neighborhood. But it's not the worst either. It's right across the street from USC, which is a pretty safe campus considering the location. That area is up and coming though with the new Village development.

http://village.usc.edu/
Quote:
Nowhere near as bad as people like to say.
Thanks for the info, guys.

A lot of my friends in Orange County are hesitant to go to the Bruce Springsteen concert at the Sports Arena, because (as they say) the surrounding area is not really safe.

But I don't see how University Park could be all that different from South Park in terms of safety.
Old February 12th, 2012, 04:56 AM   #167
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Thanks for the info, guys.

A lot of my friends in Orange County are hesitant to go to the Bruce Springsteen concert at the Sports Arena, because (as they say) the surrounding area is not really safe.

But I don't see how University Park could be all that different from South Park in terms of safety.
Well when the Coliseum last had a NFL team South Park was exactly the same as it. There was no LA Live and it was sketchy too. Since, Staples Center, LA Live and the rest of the development has gone up, making it a great area. University Park isn't the worst area, but it hasn't grown and developed quite as quickly as South Park. When some of the planned development in the area is done though, it will be great. Going to the Sports Arena for a concert will be just fine.
ryebreadraz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 04:59 AM   #168
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
Of course not. Any expansion/upgrade to the stadium will be Olympics specific and would benefit the Universities in the region more than the NFL.
Now that it looks like USC is going to get the master lease to the stadium there is a chance that it can get the necessary renovations. If the Coliseum Commission somehow manages to maintain control of it though, no chance. They just wouldn't have the money to make it happen. Even if/when USC gets the master lease though, they're not going to upgrade it to make it viable for an Olympics. That's a renovation well beyond what they need, want and can afford.
ryebreadraz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #169
Jericho-79

I have another question, guys.

The Coliseum has an official capacity that is around 2,000+ more than the Rose Bowl's official capacity.

I would imagine that the Trojans sell out all of their games.

Has there ever been a non-sporting event that didn't manage to sell out at the Coliseum?

I ask this because U2 held a huge concert at the Rose Bowl back in 2009. I wanted them to perform at the Coliseum, but I was afraid that not even U2 could fill up a stadium that is bigger (capacity-wise) than the Rose Bowl.
Old February 12th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #170
Xavier VII

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:

The Coliseum has an official capacity that is around 2,000+ more than the Rose Bowl's official capacity.

Has there ever been a non-sporting event that didn't manage to sell out at the Coliseum?

I ask this because U2 held a huge concert at the Rose Bowl back in 2009. I wanted them to perform at the Coliseum, but I was afraid that not even U2 could fill up a stadium that is bigger (capacity-wise) than the Rose Bowl.
There were over 93,000 fans at the Gold Cup Final at the Rose Bowl last year, so the official capacity isn't accurate. After the renovations the Rose Bowl is going down to about 88,000 though, so the Coliseum will have a much higher capacity then.

I imagine there have been plenty of events at the Coliseum that didn't sellout, like raves and motocross.
Xavier VII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #171
soup or man
Diamondz...

Quote:

Raves are big at the Coliseum though now banned.

Old February 14th, 2012, 02:21 AM   #172
Jericho-79

Maybe it's just me, guys.

But every time I see a picture of the Coliseum, it looks bigger than the Rose Bowl AND the Texas Memorial Stadium.
Old February 14th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #173
Marckymarc
Namasté

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, guys.

But every time I see a picture of the Coliseum, it looks bigger than the Rose Bowl AND the Texas Memorial Stadium.
it IS huge. In fact, if the stands circled the east end as they do the west it would seat about 120,000.
Marckymarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #174
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 141

yup, a preseason Dodgers game a couple years ago had an amazing attendance of 115,000!!

more pictures are posted on page 2 of this thread

image hosted on flickr
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #175
will101

Likes (Received): 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
yup, a preseason Dodgers game a couple years ago had an amazing attendance of 115,000!!
Were there actually 115,000 people is attendance, or did they just distribute 115,000 tickets? The account I read pointed to the latter, with right around 100K actually there.
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #176
soup or man
Diamondz...

From wiki:

Quote:
The attendance for the exhibition game on March 29, 2008, between the Boston Red Sox and the Los Angeles Dodgers, was 115,300,[29] setting a new Guiness World Record for attendance at a baseball game. The previous record of an estimated 114,000 was in the 1956 Summer Olympics at Melbourne Cricket Ground for an exhibition game between teams from the USA Military and Australia.
Old June 16th, 2012, 04:28 AM   #177
soup or man
Diamondz...

Quote:

But I have one question.

If you are still interested, here is a 3D flythrough of all the projects proposed and/or complete in University Park (USC). Quite a few of these are complete. The entire area around USC is changing dramatically and with the Expo Line recently opening (with 3 stops on campus), USC is truly being a urban university.

And The Village at USC
Old June 17th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #178
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 119

classic
Old June 17th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #179
Jericho-79

Quote:
If you are still interested, here is a 3D flythrough of all the projects proposed and/or complete in University Park (USC). Quite a few of these are complete. The entire area around USC is changing dramatically and with the Expo Line recently opening (with 3 stops on campus), USC is truly being a urban university.
Thanks man.

So Exposition Park (where the Coliseum is located) is not officially part of the USC campus?
Old August 1st, 2012, 04:03 PM   #180
MAHS1989

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
This is my favorite as well. I found an article that explained the proposed renovation here http://football.ballparks.com/NCAA/P...C/newindex.htm. Very nice design. Basically all the exterior walls would be left intact. I like how it still has that classic look but all the modern amenities. It still looks like it could be part of the original plans unlike Soldier Field. By reading the article the renovation would have great flexibility. Seating 68,000 for NFL and being to expand to 80,000 for college games. It also went on to say the field could be adjusted for a future Olympic bid. I'm not familiar with Los Angeles, and when I did visit I did visit the Coliseum, but I think renovating this stadium would be nicer than building a new stadium. Not being from LA I'm not sure the benefits of building a new stadium.
grea idea for the icon stadium, with changes (athletic track), for the new best stadium in football, olympics and soccer (maybe rugby) in united sttes of america
MAHS1989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles