daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.



Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:24 PM   #141
balthazar
User
 
balthazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: laputa
Posts: 5,036
Likes (Received): 1498

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69534825@N07/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/c_a/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45830593@N03/
__________________
quando si dorme si beve male (René Daumal)
balthazar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old November 23rd, 2011, 03:14 AM   #142
SoroushPersepolisi
Moderator
 
SoroushPersepolisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tehran
Posts: 11,342
Likes (Received): 1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist
Genova has some truly old quarters.

This last photo, though, embarrass me deeply as a fellow Italian: in 2011, there should be NO clothesline hanging from external wall altogether. Niente. It make otherwise nice city areas look like slums.
i think it looks lovely and so alive
so real and traditional, reminds you of nonna doing the laundry and the kids playing some calcio in the tight streets
dont be afraid
__________________
See TEHRAN, The Capital of IRAN

[/URL]
SoroushPersepolisi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:19 AM   #143
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Breda<->'s-Hertogenbosch<->Eindhoven triangle
Posts: 17,113
Likes (Received): 3975

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoroushPersepolisi View Post
i think it looks lovely and so alive
so real and traditional, reminds you of nonna doing the laundry and the kids playing some calcio in the tight streets
dont be afraid
Sorry, mate (I'm assuming you are from ME from your location).

My "nonna" and his beloved 60 year-married husband (my grandfather) worked up to 60 hours a day to their bones so that the family (my parents' generation) would escape poverty and all the things associated with it. No glamour on wasting your life playing calcio on streets or wasting your time doing manual laundry when machines do that for you

Traditions are usually rotten and low-class anyway. Glad to see nobody of my age care about that stuff except the nostalgic. But that is off-topic.

=====================

Parts of the old quarters of Genova have extremely narrow streets. Less than 2m wide, that is it. It makes buildings extremely uncomfortable for almost no privacy from windows and, in lower floors, no direct sunlight anytime of the day.

As a result, it is not a typical historical quarter where gentrification and retrofitting would be enough to give the place a better look. It has been dominated by poor inhabitants which don't care much about their buildings, and sometimes are hostile to projects to clean up the area.

If they succeed getting rid of the worst elements there, I'm sure that as a large-scale architectural museum or monument-esque neighborhood it will make an awesome place, if inhabitants leave for most of it.

I have an example here on Google Street View (you can navigate to areas around it). That area is just unsafe/unhealthy for modern living. They could make it a museum with controlled environments of the whole place, or demolish part of the buildings to create wider streets (I'm not even talking about making them car-accessible, just provide room for air and sunlight to get on the windows).
__________________
"For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, clear and wrong."
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:16 PM   #144
balthazar
User
 
balthazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: laputa
Posts: 5,036
Likes (Received): 1498

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/guidosky/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11686364@N08/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12678738@N02/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/janosgaborvarga/
__________________
quando si dorme si beve male (René Daumal)
balthazar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 08:06 PM   #145
1772
Registered User
 
1772's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,274
Likes (Received): 731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Sorry, mate (I'm assuming you are from ME from your location).

My "nonna" and his beloved 60 year-married husband (my grandfather) worked up to 60 hours a day to their bones so that the family (my parents' generation) would escape poverty and all the things associated with it. No glamour on wasting your life playing calcio on streets or wasting your time doing manual laundry when machines do that for you

Traditions are usually rotten and low-class anyway. Glad to see nobody of my age care about that stuff except the nostalgic. But that is off-topic.
WTF?
Are you a marxist or something?
Part of whats so great about Italy is the fact that they HAVEN'T lost their sense of traditions and culture despite increasing their standard of living.

I mean, sure, you can be rootless, ultra-modernistic, depressed and liberal like northwest Germany, the Netherlands or Scandinavia...
Or you can be catholic, traditional, proud of your culture and your heritage.

You seriously sound like either a marxist or an eastern block person un-sure of himself, only interested in what "modern life" has to offer.

Northern Italy and the countries around the alps are seriously the best part of Europe.
The mixture of traditionalism/catholic conservatism and work ethic, inovationalism and organizational skills is just staggering.


Sorry for ranting, but I cant stand people that are embarassed by their heritage and worship the god of modernism.
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #146
balthazar
User
 
balthazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: laputa
Posts: 5,036
Likes (Received): 1498

More from the alleys
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daniela-h/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicolasgailland/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49644073@N03/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bakshi77/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/morwen2010/
__________________
quando si dorme si beve male (René Daumal)
balthazar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #147
balthazar
User
 
balthazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: laputa
Posts: 5,036
Likes (Received): 1498

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50421315@N00/
__________________
quando si dorme si beve male (René Daumal)
balthazar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #148
balthazar
User
 
balthazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: laputa
Posts: 5,036
Likes (Received): 1498

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8895671@N04/
__________________
quando si dorme si beve male (René Daumal)
balthazar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #149
balthazar
User
 
balthazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: laputa
Posts: 5,036
Likes (Received): 1498

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tluc/
__________________
quando si dorme si beve male (René Daumal)
balthazar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #150
balthazar
User
 
balthazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: laputa
Posts: 5,036
Likes (Received): 1498

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/erika_tolgyesi_pitto/
__________________
quando si dorme si beve male (René Daumal)
balthazar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 03:11 PM   #151
balthazar
User
 
balthazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: laputa
Posts: 5,036
Likes (Received): 1498

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubik_mangrove/
__________________
quando si dorme si beve male (René Daumal)
balthazar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 04:27 PM   #152
tommolo
Registered User
 
tommolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Milano
Posts: 2,375
Likes (Received): 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Genova has some truly old quarters.
This last photo, though, embarrass me deeply as a fellow Italian: in 2011, there should be NO clothesline hanging from external wall altogether. Niente. It make otherwise nice city areas look like slums.
What do you want an hipertechnological dryier made of tempered steel? C'mon, we're in 2012 now, we're trying to move back to nature and sustainability, and the fact of having sun drying our clothes it's a blessing. It's a pure ecological luxury. We're completely sustainable and we never felt into some modern error that occurred according XXth century dogmativism, still being very carefully in not losing anything modern technologies have to offer us. You know what being italian means? I'm middle class, I'm not rich at all, but I live in front of a XIII century castle, and I work as a journalist on the web, and I'm probably the biggest technology geek you've eer seen. And live happily with that. That aequilibrium is like a miracle, but I tell you...we did it, We're in XXI century and we still look like ourselves. Never lose your soul, mate.
Genova shows us that in a wonderful way!
tommolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:15 AM   #153
balthazar
User
 
balthazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: laputa
Posts: 5,036
Likes (Received): 1498

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62538764@N07/
__________________
quando si dorme si beve male (René Daumal)
balthazar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #154
balthazar
User
 
balthazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: laputa
Posts: 5,036
Likes (Received): 1498

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23236964@N03/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53535488@N03/
__________________
quando si dorme si beve male (René Daumal)
balthazar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #155
CF221
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 1,681
Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommolo View Post
What do you want an hipertechnological dryier made of tempered steel? C'mon, we're in 2012 now, we're trying to move back to nature and sustainability, and the fact of having sun drying our clothes it's a blessing. It's a pure ecological luxury. We're completely sustainable and we never felt into some modern error that occurred according XXth century dogmativism, still being very carefully in not losing anything modern technologies have to offer us. You know what being italian means? I'm middle class, I'm not rich at all, but I live in front of a XIII century castle, and I work as a journalist on the web, and I'm probably the biggest technology geek you've eer seen. And live happily with that. That aequilibrium is like a miracle, but I tell you...we did it, We're in XXI century and we still look like ourselves. Never lose your soul, mate.
Genova shows us that in a wonderful way!
Well said!
__________________
Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
CF221 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 12:53 AM   #156
balthazar
User
 
balthazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: laputa
Posts: 5,036
Likes (Received): 1498

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69534825@N07/
__________________
quando si dorme si beve male (René Daumal)
balthazar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #157
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire
 
El_Greco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Posts: 17,564
Likes (Received): 1443

Suburbanist and his ideas...
__________________
My Photos : Bergen|Brussels|Fes|Lisbon|London|Madrid|Naples|Paris|Rome|Rotterdam
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #158
TheReconstructer
Registered User
 
TheReconstructer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hoorn
Posts: 507
Likes (Received): 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Suburbanist and his ideas...
If he ruled the world I think everything build was glass and steel, not that I hate New York, Brasilia and Seattle or something like those three cities but there also have to be some 'old' stuff, which remind the generations of now/future of the generations before them, how they lived and learn from the passed...

What is wrong with hanging your clothes at lines above streets, alley's et cetera? That gives in my opinion many streets an extra character. It's a natural way and it doens't give any extra problems for the ozon layer Not everything has to be modern, some traditional stuff doesn't always hurt someone.....

Last edited by TheReconstructer; February 25th, 2012 at 02:33 PM.
TheReconstructer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #159
tommolo
Registered User
 
tommolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Milano
Posts: 2,375
Likes (Received): 795

Yeah that's the spirit! In clothing we have now widened our horizon: once there was only classic dresses, and now there is a very cheap and comfortable sporty clothing I wear all the day all the days, but when comes the occasion, I can dress elegant too, and no one tells me I'm a retrograd or a nostalgic just because I'm all dressed up classically. But in acrhitecture that simple fact is very struggled: people just proceeded with a substitution of ALL the classic with ALL modern. But that's very shortminded since every progress should be a widening of choices, not a simple substitution of them removing completely what's past. I want to have, like I have in clothes, the full freedom in architecture to choice if that day I want to go classical or go sporty!
tommolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #160
TheReconstructer
Registered User
 
TheReconstructer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hoorn
Posts: 507
Likes (Received): 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommolo View Post
Yeah that's the spirit! In clothing we have now widened our horizon: once there was only classic dresses, and now there is a very cheap and comfortable sporty clothing I wear all the day all the days, but when comes the occasion, I can dress elegant too, and no one tells me I'm a retrograd or a nostalgic just because I'm all dressed up classically. But in acrhitecture that simple fact is very struggled: people just proceeded with a substitution of ALL the classic with ALL modern. But that's very shortminded since every progress should be a widening of choices, not a simple substitution of them removing completely what's past. I want to have, like I have in clothes, the full freedom in architecture to choice if that day I want to go classical or go sporty!
great job and spirit tommolo great you want freedom so show it in real life how you see freedom
TheReconstructer no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu