daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Sheffield Metro Area

Sheffield Metro Area For Sheffield, Doncaster and Rotherham

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 73 votes, 4.97 average.
Old February 7th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #4481
ThomasB443
Silence Will Fall

Likes (Received): 4

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sculpt...atue_1_4220496

Quote:
Sculptor vows to forge ahead with steel statue

A 40-metre high sculpture is being proposed as an iconic landmark for the Sheffield City Region. Sheffield City Council has invited ideas for a statue in the Lower Don Valley and this project is one being put forward for consideration.The proposed design created by local sculptor Steve Mehdi has already received widespread support from Sheffield Chamber of Commerce and a number of public and private sector organisations. Pictured: The design which is being proposed will be installed close to where the Tinsley Towers used to stand.

Published on Tuesday 7 February 2012 10:04

THE sculptor behind plans for a massive Man of Steel statue overlooking Meadowhall says he is pressing ahead with the multi-million pound project despite closing his art gallery in Sheffield.

Steve Mehdi shut his Ecclesall Gallery, on Ecclesall Road, after just three years, because of a lack of commissions in 2012 and the “poor economic climate in general”.

But he said he would soon be submitting a full planning application for the 40m statue to Rotherham Council and he was making a 10ft model to go on public display.

The former policeman, aged 55, of Grindleford, Derbyshire, said: “We put our heart and soul, and a significant investment, into the business and worked six days a week.

“We were disappointed to reach this decision, but feel we had no option given the global downturn, the timescale of which is unpredictable and beyond our control.

“I hope this will help dispel the questions surrounding the future of the Man of Steel project and I look forward to announcing more progress soon.”

The artist said the project, which is set to cost in the region of £2.4 million, could include an internal spiral staircase and a viewing platform.

Mr Mehdi said: “It is expected the money will come entirely from private investment, but may require ‘topping up’ with Arts Council or other funding, once we know the final figure.”

He added: “Inevitably, a project of this size is difficult to cost accurately with so many factors involved, and it’s likely to be higher.”

The scheme has the backing of Sheffield Chamber of Commerce and the approval ‘in principle’ of Rotherham Council.

Richard Wright, Sheffield Chamber’s executive director, said: “My understanding is that work is ongoing on a larger model and putting in a stair and viewing platform, inside the head as the northern eye so to speak.”
I Particulary like the viewing platform idea and great too see this been pushed!
Millenium Tower
My Projects and Designs

"They'll never expect three people to attack 12,000 Dalek battleships. Cos we'd be killed instantly. So it would be a fairly short suprise. Forget suprise."
ThomasB443 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 8th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #4482
NewcastleOwl

Likes (Received): 54

It'd be worth a bob or two in scrap at today's prices! What precautions do they propose to prevent it being cut down in the night?

Also, what happened to the steel footballs idea?
NewcastleOwl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #4483
Mr Brightside

Likes (Received): 191

The demolition of Hambleton House has been granted!this is a crime, maybe we should try and get the occupy people in there to save it!Looks like we are gonna have another empty bit of wasteland in the city centre then!

Here is the officers report.

http://195.59.165.58/WAM/doc/Officer...df&pageCount=4
Mr Brightside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #4484
Bladerunner

Likes (Received): 58

Crazy. Buildings should only be demolished if plans exist for replacing them.
Bladerunner está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #4485
hella good
PUT YOUR PAWS UP

Likes (Received): 325

A travesty! I am very disappointed in the councils decision and the demolition of this building is another that can be added to their gigantic book of mistakes, the more recent of which includes the deco building on Penistone road.

Please do not use, modify or redistribute any of my photography or artwork without my express permission
hella good está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #4486
FirthParker

Likes (Received): 0

Spot on Bladerunner. Its a crying shame that this building is going.

Is there a chance of saving this building by applying for listed status?
FirthParker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #4487
hella good
PUT YOUR PAWS UP

Likes (Received): 325

Already been tried I'm afraid, and English Heritage denied it

Please do not use, modify or redistribute any of my photography or artwork without my express permission
hella good está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #4488
Master_P

Likes (Received): 19

Wouldn't expect anything else from our ridiculous council. They normally pass anything people don't want while turning down anything worth saving or that attracts investment. Clueless.
Master_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #4489
Steel City Suburb

Stupid decision I think.

The only saving grace would be opening up the river beneath.
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #4490
TakeMeHigher
Oh bugger

Likes (Received): 28

It is the only decision possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
Crazy. Buildings should only be demolished if plans exist for replacing them.
It's a fair point, but the problem isn't with the planning system or even with the owners. It is with the rates system that charges owners for services that they are not receiving while the building is empty. Owners don't demolish a potential asset for fun or profit.

Please write to your MP, write to the Chancellor, write to the Secretary of State For Business, and write to the PM if you feel strongly about this issue. Point out that empty rates bills are devastating our cities, towns and villages and doing lasting damage to the environment and communities.
TakeMeHigher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #4491
NewcastleOwl

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasB443 View Post
http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sculpt...atue_1_4220496

I Particulary like the viewing platform idea and great too see this been pushed!
To follow up my question about the steel football alternative sculpture on this site I've found this Nov 2010 article:
http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/...o_m1_1_2751853

This suggest that the location was moved and the ball is either already in place or the idea dropped when the 2018 World Cup Bid failed miraculously. I've not driven this stretch of M1 for years; is it there where the bull used to be?

Going back to the 'Man of Steel': I can well understand the enthusiasm for stainless steel as the material in Sheffield, but it's surely going to atract objections from the Highways Agency beacuse of glare to drivers ("near ex-cooling tower site" = reflection of low sun from south west in winter blinds northbound drivers on viaduct!). Also why is the sculpture sitting down doing nothing, it gives out the message "Sheffield: City of Steel, where steelworkers once sat idly about gazing wistfully at the outside world beyond the castings shop and dreaming of escape"?

A more light-hearted suggestion for sculptures on this site was (jokingly) proposed in the following article. I actually think this suggestion is more poignant / will have more resonance with the locals:
http://articlemagazine.co.uk/2011/04...-gateway-icon/

Last edited by NewcastleOwl; February 10th, 2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: typo
NewcastleOwl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #4492
muddycoffee
E = MC²

Likes (Received): 31

noticed that the new flats on Penistone road are now underway

Old February 10th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #4493
muddycoffee
E = MC²

Also noticed that the site of the foremer Devonshire arms pub

opposite the former wards breweries. Has got diggers and large pipes on the ground. They appear to be doing some groundwork or something.
Old February 14th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #4494
blades_lad
Like a glove

Likes (Received): 8

Not sure which thread to put this update on as there's 2

The first is that there was a JCB trundling around on the new markets location along with a few council people this morning

the second is that there were a few planners looking at Deacon House at the bottom of The Moor (the one next to staples) with a few clipboards

Last edited by blades_lad; February 14th, 2012 at 03:49 PM.
blades_lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #4495
larven

Likes (Received): 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by blades_lad View Post
the second is that there were a few planners looking at Deacon House at the bottom of The Moor (the one next to staples) with a few clipboards
There are some plans in mind for that building.
larven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #4496
arepeejee
<Witty comment here>

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycoffee View Post
Also noticed that the site of the foremer Devonshire arms pub

opposite the former wards breweries. Has got diggers and large pipes on the ground. They appear to be doing some groundwork or something.
There was a big mains water leak on Eccy Road last saturday, it looks like Yorkshire water are putting in new concrete mains piping as a result.
Old February 15th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #4497
Steel City Suburb

Crane on site at Broad Lane. Stalled apartments?
Old February 15th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #4498
AdamBlade
@codaplanning

Likes (Received): 22

I saw that too, got a little excited.
AdamBlade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #4499
Steel City Suburb

What re the proposals for the site?
Old February 21st, 2012, 05:32 PM   #4500
muddycoffee
E = MC²

I've been out and about today and noticed that the disused public toilets under the former heeley railway station has had a new UPVC door fitted and a workman today was pulling the old grill from the windows and giving it a lick of paint. It looks like the space is going to be brought back into use.

here's a google pic of them from a couple of years ago.

To my knowledge they have been closed since at least the 1970s, although I have a vague recollection of taking a slash in there in 1975 or something like that..

Tags
development summary

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: