daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Vietnam Forum

Vietnam Forum Xin Chào! Welcome to Vietnam

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 14th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #741
tuanhung

Likes (Received): 12

that farmer who stood off the officials in the land grab, did you see the pics of the aftermath they done to his property, his family is basically living in a tent...
tuanhung no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 15th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #742
Tu Do
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

Vietnam: Systematic Crackdown on Human Rights

Quote:
The Vietnam government intensified its repression of activists and dissidents during 2011, and cracked down harshly on freedom of expression, association, and assembly, Human Rights Watch said today in its World Report 2012. Bloggers, writers, human rights defenders, land rights activists, anti-corruption campaigners, and religious and democracy advocates faced harassment, intimidation, arrest, torture, and imprisonment.

In 2011, the government prosecuted at least 33 peaceful activists and sentenced them to a total of 185 years in prison, to be followed by a total of 75 years on probation. Among those convicted for their peaceful advocacy are Dr. Cu Huy Ha Vu, a prominent legal activist; and Phung Lam, Vi Duc Hoi, Nguyen Ba Dang, Pham Minh Hoang, Lu Van Bay, and Ho Thi Bich Khuong, all prominent pro-democracy advocates and human rights bloggers. The authorities arrested at least 27 other rights activists pending investigation and/or trial. At least two bloggers – Nguyen Van Hai(a.k.a. Dieu Cay) and Phan Thanh Hai(a.k.a. Anhbasg– have been held without trial since 2010.

“The human rights situation in Vietnam is poor and worsening, with a steady stream of people being locked up for nothing more than exercising their rights,” said Phil Robertson, deputy Asia director at Human Rights Watch. “Vietnam’s development donors should publicly express unstinting support for Vietnam’s courageous activists and demand the immediate release of everyone who has been arbitrarily detained and imprisoned.”

In its World Report 2012, Human Rights Watch assessed progress on human rights during the past year in more than 90 countries, including popular uprisings in the Arab world that few would have imagined. Given the violent forces resisting the “Arab Spring,” the international community has an important role to play in assisting the formation of rights-respecting democracies in the region, Human Rights Watch said in the report.

In Vietnam, most political detainees and prisoners have been charged with vaguely-worded articles in Vietnam’s penal code that criminalize peaceful dissent. These crimes include “subversion of the people’s administration” (article 79); “undermining the unity policy” (article 87); “conducting propaganda against the state” (penal code article 88); and “abusing democratic freedoms” to “infringe upon the interests of the State” (article 258).

“Vietnam denies imprisoning people for simply expressing divergent political views, but it doesn’t hesitate to use these draconian laws to hammer political dissidents,” Robertson said. “If the government wants to be seen as respecting rule of law, it should meet its international human rights commitments by abolishing these laws and ending its criminalization of these peaceful activists.”

Freedom of religion fared little better as police subjected members of independent religious groups to repeated harassment, intimidation, and arrest. The government targeted unsanctioned branches of the Cao Dai church, the Hoa Hao Buddhist church, Protestant and Mennonite house congregations, and the Unified Buddhist Church of Vietnam (UBCV). Police prevented public celebration of religious events, intimidated and detained participants, and placed prominent leaders of these groups under house arrest. Even registered religious organizations such as the Redemptorist churches in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City were harassedrepeatedly, including a mob attack against the Thai Ha Catholic church in Hanoi.

In April, eight Montagnard Protestant activists were sentencedto prison terms ranging from 8 to 12 years, for allegedly undermining national unity policy. In July, over the protests of diplomats and activists alike, a gravely ill Catholic priest, Nguyen Van Ly, was sent back to prisonafter 16 months of confinement at a church-owned residence while on medical parole.

In November, the Falun Gong activists Vu Duc Trung and Le Van Thanh were sentenced to three years and two years in prison, respectively, for broadcasting news about Falun Gong to China. In December, the People’s Court of An Giang sentenced the religious activistsNguyen Van Lia and Tran Hoai An to five years and three years, respectively, for their peaceful advocacy for Hoa Hao Buddhism. Also in December, the Protestant pastor Nguyen Trung Ton was sentenced to two years in prison for his writings about the authorities’ repression of religion. The police have also detained at least another nineteen Catholic and two Protestant activistsin 2011.

“The government wants to divorce religion from activism of any type, but freedom of religion includes freedom to speak, write and protest on issues of religious belief, ethics, and rights,” Robertson said. “The United States should re-designate Vietnam a ‘country of particular concern’ for its continuous violations of religious freedom, and rally other governments to press these issues with the leaders in Hanoi.”

Vietnamese law authorizes arbitrary “administrative detention” without trial. Under Ordinance 44 (2002) and Decree 76 (2003), peaceful dissidents and others deemed to threaten national security or public order may be involuntarily committed to mental institutions, placed under house arrest, or detained in state-run “rehabilitation” or “education” centers. Drug users can be held up to four years in government-run rehabilitation centers where they receive very little treatment but are subjected abuse including beatings, torture, forced labor (in the guise of so-called “labor therapy”), and solitary confinement.

Former detainees in drug-detention centers reported being forced to work in cashew processing and other forms of agricultural production, and garment manufacturing and other forms of manufacturing, such as making bamboo and rattan products. Under Vietnamese law, companies that handle products from these centers are eligible for tax exemptions. Some products produced as a result of this forced labor made their way into the supply chain of companies that sell goods abroad, including to the United States and Europe.

An assessment in early 2011 found that 123 drug detention centers across the country held 40,000 people, including children as young as 12. In November, the Hanoi Municipal People’s Committee ordered police to send a land rights activist, Bui Thi Minh Hang, to detention for 24 months in an education center.

“No one should be subject to forced labor and denigration under any circumstances, much less in the name of ‘treatment’ or ‘education,’” Robertson said. “Vietnam should immediately release these detainees, close these abusive centers, and repeal ordinances and decrees authorizing administrative detention.”

http://www.hrw.org/asia/vietnam

http://www.iewy.com/40560-vietnam-sy...an-rights.html
Tu Do no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #743
Mynameischarlie
Mig-28 Pilot

Likes (Received): 0

Vietnam's Contentious Land Law by Asia Sentinel

#1:

http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.ph...184&Itemid=213

#2:

http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.ph...191&Itemid=213

#3:

http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.ph...196&Itemid=213

#4:

http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.ph...223&Itemid=213
Old February 16th, 2012, 12:52 AM   #744
Mynameischarlie
Mig-28 Pilot

China, Vietnam drift in South China Sea

as well from Asia Times/David Brown:

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southea.../NA21Ae02.html
Old February 16th, 2012, 01:36 AM   #745
Mynameischarlie
Mig-28 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanhung View Post
yet you want to deny the same access to ur brothers and sisters back home???
That man got supernatural powers! From time to time he runs into a phone booth!
Old February 16th, 2012, 06:40 AM   #746
vttnguyen

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameischarlie View Post
as well from Asia Times/David Brown:

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southea.../NA21Ae02.html
I found this part interesting "According to international law, Vietnam's historic claim is stronger inasmuch as imperial Vietnam, then France (which colonized Vietnam in the 1800's), and then the Republic of Vietnam ("South Vietnam") exercised sovereignty without a break from the 16th century until 1974, when a South Vietnamese garrison was overrun by Chinese forces" This is why China doesn't want UN involved in the mater because China know the chances of winning is 0 to none.
Let me live in my house by the side of the road And be a friend to man."
vttnguyen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 06:43 AM   #747
vttnguyen

Likes (Received): 1

Why China will not bring the Spratlys issue to the United Nations
By Ted Laguatan
INQUIRER.net

Based on applicable international maritime and related laws, China knows that if she petitions the United Nations International Court of Justice or the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea to affirm her dubious claim that she owns everything in the South China Sea aka West Philippine Sea — her chances of winning are about as likely as having a snowfall in the Sahara desert.

Both Courts have proper jurisdictions to settle sovereignty issues between nations regarding marine territories — such as those concerning the Spratly and Paracel islands.

Let’s imagine what most likely would happen if China does take her case to the International Court of Justice and the representative of China — let’s call him Mr. Lee — is before the Court headed by the Presiding Judge. Consider this scenario:

Judge: “Please inform this Court of the basis for your claim that the entire South China Sea aka West Philippine Sea belongs completely to the People’s Republic of China?”

Mr. Lee: “Thank you, your honor. Our claim is based on the historical fact that this entire area has belonged to us since the Han Dynasty.”

Judge: “How do you intend to prove your case?”

Mr. Lee: “I will present to this Court an almost two thousand year old Han Dynasty map that indicates the limits of the Han Dynasty kingdom.”

Judge: “Let’s assume for purposes of discussion that the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and other surrounding countries were provinces or part of the Han Dynasty during its time even if the map you hold may just actually be a navigational map which does not really define the limits of the Han Dynasty. Now my study of China’s history indicate that the Han Dynasty lasted from 206 B.C. To 220 A.D. Is this correct?”

Mr. Lee: “Yes your honor.”

Judge: “I assume Mr. Lee that you are familiar with Alexander the Great, the young Macedonian king who conquered much of the ancient world.”

Mr. Lee: “I am, your honor.”

Judge: “At the time of his death in 323 B.C., Alexander’s kingdom included Greece, Syria, Persia now known as Iran, Egypt and a part of India. Are you aware Mr. Lee that Macedonia, Alexander’s country — is now known as the Republic of Macedonia?”

Mr. Lee: “If you say so your honor.”

Judge: “Good! You appear to know your history. I assume you are also familiar with the Roman Empire which existed for over a thousand years.”

Mr. Lee: “Thank you your honor, I do read history.”

Judge: “You are then aware Mr. Lee that at its height, the Roman Empire included most of Europe and parts of Africa and Asia.”

Mr. Lee: “I am aware, your honor.”

Judge: “Now Mr. Lee, since the time of Alexander, the Roman Empire and the Han Dynasty — through the course of time and historical events, various independent countries have emerged in Europe, Africa and Asia — which now have their own respective territories. This is a reality which we all have to accept, wouldn’t you say?”

Mr. Lee: “We cannot deny reality, your honor.”

Judge: “Now Mr. Lee, another undeniable reality is that Alexander’s empire, the Roman empire and the Han Dynasty kingdom are no longer existent — am I correct in my observation?

Mr. Lee: “You are correct, your honor.”

Judge: “Now Mr.Lee, in all candor, do you seriously believe that if the Republic of Macedonia and the Italian government were to come before this Court and petition us to affirm that they own the territories of these now independent countries because they were once a part of Alexander’s empire or the Roman empire — that we would be persuaded to grant these petitions?”

Mr. Lee: “I understand what you are getting at, Judge — but most of what we are claiming as ours is marine area and not land.”

Judge: “The Spratlys and the Paracel islands are not land? Anyway, isn’t it a fact that China is a signatory to the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) which she ratified on July 6, 1996 thereby agreeing to be bound by its provisions — and part of which is that anything within 200 miles from the baseline of a country belongs to that country?

Mr. Lee: “China did agree to those provisions at a time when it was not yet aware of the far reaching consequences of UNCLOS to her national interests.”

Judge: “I will not mince my words Mr. Lee. What you mean is that at that time, the world, including China, was not yet aware, that vast deposits of oil and natural gas were to be found within the territorial limits of neighboring countries. Now because of this awareness, even if China knows she is trespassing and violating international law, she is using the coercive might of her size, military or otherwise — to grab these enormous reserves of petrowealth from the territories of her smaller, weaker, poorer neighbors — who badly need these assets to improve the plight of their own people.

Postscript: In view of all the facts and existing applicable law, the likelihood is that the UN court will find China’s petition to be without merit.

Notwithstanding requests from the Philippines, neighboring countries and the United States to bring West Philippine Sea sovereignty issues to the United Nations, China has steadfastly refused to do so. Instead, it is constantly involved in mind games, using scare tactics, insisting that everything in the whole West Philippine Sea is theirs and that this issue is non-negotiable.

By so doing, the gigantic oil hungry dragon seeks to condition the national minds of her neighbors to forcibly accept inequitable bilateral settlement agreements — without United Nations or United States involvement. The Philippines, Vietnam and other neighbor countries must not fall into this trap. They should unite and create an alliance and insist — with the aid of the global community, with military means if necessary — that China should respect their rights and leave their national patrimony alone.

The most loudly applauded part of President Benigno Simeon Aquino’s State of the Nation speech was his strong affirmation that what belongs to the Philippines stays in the Philippines. Everyone understood his meaning: The Philippines will stand firm against China’s bully tactics and mind games in trying to grab our energy and marine resources.

What a big difference to have a trustworthy President who provides moral leadership and looks after the interests of the nation instead of one ready to sell out the country’s patrimony for personal gain.
Let me live in my house by the side of the road And be a friend to man."
vttnguyen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 06:54 AM   #748
Siddude

Likes (Received): 15

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/...139355998.html

"It is not just Vuon’s future that is at stake, they say, but also the future of the country’s Communist Party in an era when the methods of the past are becoming less effective against the problems of the present".

The countdown for the decline of Viet Cong power keeps ticking away little by little. Viet Cong are so greedy and so thieving they only have themselves to blame when all this will blow up in their greedy faces! I personally think Viet Cong should rebrand their Communist Party into a party of crooks, liars and thieves!
Siddude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 07:15 AM   #749
tuanhung

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vttnguyen View Post
I found this part interesting "According to international law, Vietnam's historic claim is stronger inasmuch as imperial Vietnam, then France (which colonized Vietnam in the 1800's), and then the Republic of Vietnam ("South Vietnam") exercised sovereignty without a break from the 16th century until 1974, when a South Vietnamese garrison was overrun by Chinese forces" This is why China doesn't want UN involved in the mater because China know the chances of winning is 0 to none.
you reap what you sow, certainly there must have been some sort of agreement during the vn war to get the backing of china, only to have them bite back on their words that no such deal existed....we all know how vncs is when it comes to making a deal and saying no deal existed....
tuanhung no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #750
doehomey
BANNED

Quote:
Timely commentary by Doehomey can be found here:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1113
doehomey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 02:42 AM   #751
doehomey
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanhung View Post
you reap what you sow, certainly there must have been some sort of agreement during the vn war to get the backing of china, only to have them bite back on their words that no such deal existed....we all know how vncs is when it comes to making a deal and saying no deal existed....
The only deal which might or might not have occurred was between new friends the USA and China. Drop your looser or about to be lost cause ( South Vietnam) and continue with ping pong diplomacy. Of course, what does Doehomey know. Alot of fools on this board know more.
Old February 17th, 2012, 02:55 AM   #752
coolink
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2299

Quote:
Originally Posted by doehomey View Post
The only deal which might or might not have occurred was between new friends the USA and China. Drop your looser or about to be lost cause ( South Vietnam) and continue with ping pong diplomacy. Of course, what does Doehomey know. Alot of fools on this board know more.

yeah we don't need internet to learn......so Vietnam can put up firewall and block the internet all she wants, it doesn't affect us

and it works again't all interests to bring down the current governemnt

and I left Vn for no reason, I used to be in Autralia, now Houston Texas
coolink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 03:15 AM   #753
doehomey
BANNED

Quote:
That man got supernatural powers! From time to time he runs into a phone booth!
How hard it is in the daily life of Doehomey! Sometimes it seems like a job fit only for a superhuman. Training for the Olympics in the morning! Fighting terrorists in the afternoon! Taking care of his harem in the evening! Finally sitting down to read news and skyscrapers, you have a bunch of fools tell you, "Doehomey you have to do this! Doehomey you have to do that! Doehomey, I didn't opened up a history book nor a civics book but you are stupid if you don't listen to me!"
Old February 17th, 2012, 03:27 AM   #754
coolink
BANNED

don't forget in Vietnam they block Facebook
and they arrest people who speak up against corruption in Vietnam

and doehomey comes here telling Vietnamese you can learn depsites internet blockage, and you can live a great life under the communist government, so don't fight, however let me go to Australia or Houston wherever the hell that is......

anyhoo......the story of the song writter VietKhang got arrested by the commie government is being brought to the American public

Old February 17th, 2012, 03:28 AM   #755
coolink
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by doehomey View Post
How hard it is in the daily life of Doehomey! Sometimes it seems like a job fit only for a superhuman. Training for the Olympics in the morning! Fighting terrorists in the afternoon! Taking care of his harem in the evening! Finally sitting down to read news and skyscrapers, you have a bunch of fools tell you, "Doehomey you have to do this! Doehomey you have to do that! Doehomey, I didn't opened up a history book nor a civics book but you are stupid if you don't listen to me!"
it;s been a thousand times and Doehomey couldn't tell all his friends here how and why he came to America......or Autralia
and not staying in Vietnam with the wonderful commmunist government
Old February 17th, 2012, 05:11 AM   #756
inarpend
Vụ Án 2 bao cao su

"Doehomey want to say to you fan-dong Inarpend, Coolink, Siddude, Vttnguyen, Tuanhung, etc:

Doehomey really "opened up a history book" and "a civics book" (sic). That's why doehomey can't say why doehomey love commies but don't want to live with commies; doehomey take advantage everything that is un-commies yet doehomey got doehomey's panties in a knot when you fan-dong criticize doehomey's government.

You fools don't know how great doehomey is since doehomey inspires from the communist hochiminh, who taught doehomey to be very "smart" and very "honest"."

PS: Oh my God, HAHAHAHAAAA.
inarpend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 05:45 AM   #757
coolink
BANNED

you know why he cares about "civic work"?

last time I said I tossed the national statistic report into the trash, simply because I was busy
but for Doehomey, it's the end of the world. because I'm the only person who does that in this country, so I should be fined and arrested according to the civic law
Old February 17th, 2012, 06:12 AM   #758
Siddude

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...bSIR_blog.html

Funny Viet Cong and a handful of countries abstain or voted against a resolution condemning Bashar al Assad massacring of his own people! Look who Viet Cong align itself ? It is virtually a who's who of sh*t for brain countries: Zimbabwe, Myammar, Uganda, North Korea, Iran, Russia, China.. etc. No wonder so many people have such a low, low, low opinion of VC rule Vietnam!

No wonder all the idiot Viet Cong are so barbaric! Primitives will stay with primitives. Cavemen will forever stay as cavemen!

Oh well, Syria today is Viet Cong future tomorrow.

Remember little Viet Cong to be safe start transferring your money out now!!! Such greedy and shameless hypocritical douchebags !

I think you guys pay too much attention to doehomey, our resident Viet Cong village idiot! Notice he never say anything of substance or knowledgeable? He blabbers his mouth for the sake of blabbing his mouth. Childish but that how VC raise their children. No critical thinking, no analysis, no forethought. That's why VC rule Vietnam is a pathetic turd world sh*thole! It's universal knowledge that communism was a pathetic of joke that no European dare to embrace anymore. If the continent that gave birth to this idea thinks it is a joke, they why would it be believable in Asia? Only people who join VC are opportunists seeking to sell their own people for a tael of Chinese gold and silver! They are pathetic!

Two words for Viet Cong: "Arab Spring". It is coming to Vietnam sooooon!

Last edited by Siddude; February 17th, 2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old February 17th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #759
coolink
BANNED

siddude you are so funny....... you're like titanic98 news-and-politics version
Old February 20th, 2012, 03:51 AM   #760
Siddude

Check out the Commie festival! I guess Viet Cong did not realize the Cold War is over and their allies (USSR, East Germany, Hungary, Romania, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, etc.) bit the dust and are now free, civilized and respected throughout the world. SO why Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia are now members of the Western alliance Nato? Life after communism is a lot better for these countries eh?

Viet Cong still have allies in China, North Korea, Cuba and Laos? LOL... What happened to COMMUNISM? Not a good idea? Bac Ho thought it was! )) Should I list the GDP per capita of all these countries?

Please explain Viet Cong, I don't understand?

Tags
saigon, vietnam