daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Old January 18th, 2012, 04:17 AM   #101
WesTexas

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Yes it would hurt to change the scoreboard into a video board as Wrigley would lose its designation as a historic place.
Changing out 1 little part like this changes the historic status? It is 1% of this historic stadium but that would drop its historic status? wow....someone needs to talk to those guys who make the rules on this, because if adding a party patio on the right field wall does not effect the historic status but adding a video board does, then ....WTF??????
WesTexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 18th, 2012, 04:21 AM   #102
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 48

Yea I agree, the scoreboard maybe historic but its the ivy wall that really represent the tradition of Wigley Field. The scoreboard can go.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #103
scolls

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesTexas View Post
Changing out 1 little part like this changes the historic status? It is 1% of this historic stadium but that would drop its historic status? wow....someone needs to talk to those guys who make the rules on this, because if adding a party patio on the right field wall does not effect the historic status but adding a video board does, then ....WTF??????
It does not effect the historic status because it is an addition to the historic structure and not altering it. That's why Fenway still has the old scoreboard in the monster and adding new scoreboards in CF.
scolls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #104
WesTexas

Well Wrigley needs that update. Just saying. Cubs fans are missing out by not being able to see a re play.
Old January 19th, 2012, 02:39 AM   #105
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Well Wrigley needs that update. Just saying. Cubs fans are missing out by not being able to see a re play.
Probably saved Steve Bartman's life.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 02:52 AM   #106
Darloeye

Likes (Received): 50

Do feel sorry for Steve Bartman he was not the only guy who went for the ball that night
Darloeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 03:32 AM   #107
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 842

Quote:
I've gone to dozens upon dozens of games at Miller Park and US Cellular and I can honestly say I don't feel deprived of reply/video when I'm at Wrigley in the slightest. In fact in both places they use video for replays sparingly and is often more used for lame trivia games and promotional adds that I can do well without. Give me the AVG, HR's, RBIs, ERA, K, BBs etc. which the digital board under the current scoreboard already does and I'm satisfied.

In fact I appreciate not having a rather useless video board bombard the stadium with commercial and superfluous info. Contrary to the reputation of Wrigley fans I think that a lack of such diversions actually forces attention of fans on to the field which is how it should be.

Having said that I realize that a few fans have ADD or an IQ <70 and want to be bombarded with useless images. I also realize that owners are greedy and want to make just a few million more that advertising on the rotating jumbotrons would bring in. If the owner could say with a straight face that it would bring in an extra 10-20 million to the ball club or payroll and I would be more sympathetic but I tend to doubt it would be anywhere near that.

That said I think the best solution to appease the owner and ADD fans would be to keep the current scoreboard but put it on a swivel that can rotate 180 degrees with the other side having a giant LED scree on the back. You could have some innings or games with the scoreboard being the "traditional" and the other side being the modern.

It would be a unique solution and undoubtedly more expensive then a stationary scoreboard but it would appease a lot of the purist and progressives If it wasn't deemed prohibitively expensive it would be a worthwhile place to splurge a bit more in order to try to make everyone happy.
-young middle-class lad or lass who feels elated by thinking that he or she has covered all aspects of politics and religion with the help of a few lectures by a certified conspiracy crank or by watching a straight-to-YouTube ‘documentary’. - Nadeem F. Paracha

Its the buddhist in you, it's the pagan in me. Its the muslim in him, she's catholic aint she? Its the born again look it's the wasp and the jew Tell me what's goin on, I aint gotta clue - Jimmy Buffett
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #108
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I've gone to dozens upon dozens of games at Miller Park and US Cellular and I can honestly say I don't feel deprived of reply/video when I'm at Wrigley in the slightest. In fact in both places they use video for replays sparingly and is often more used for lame trivia games and promotional adds that I can do well without. Give me the AVG, HR's, RBIs, ERA, K, BBs etc. which the digital board under the current scoreboard already does and I'm satisfied.

In fact I appreciate not having a rather useless video board bombard the stadium with commercial and superfluous info. Contrary to the reputation of Wrigley fans I think that a lack of such diversions actually forces attention of fans on to the field which is how it should be.

Having said that I realize that a few fans have ADD or an IQ <70 and want to be bombarded with useless images. I also realize that owners are greedy and want to make just a few million more that advertising on the rotating jumbotrons would bring in. If the owner could say with a straight face that it would bring in an extra 10-20 million to the ball club or payroll and I would be more sympathetic but I tend to doubt it would be anywhere near that.

That said I think the best solution to appease the owner and ADD fans would be to keep the current scoreboard but put it on a swivel that can rotate 180 degrees with the other side having a giant LED scree on the back. You could have some innings or games with the scoreboard being the "traditional" and the other side being the modern.

It would be a unique solution and undoubtedly more expensive then a stationary scoreboard but it would appease a lot of the purist and progressives If it wasn't deemed prohibitively expensive it would be a worthwhile place to splurge a bit more in order to try to make everyone happy.
the first time I went to baseball it was as Safeco in Seattle, and they have a video screen just like that.

The fans were far more excited about the cartoon speedboat races between each inning than they were about the baseball.

I don't even really like baseball much, but a Sunday afternoon at Wrigley was a great experience. It was all about the game. No distractions.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #109
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sport....html#comments

Cubs May Need City's OK for New Sign

Ball club can't alter certain elements of the historic stadium

By Jennifer Schwarz

| Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012

The Cubs plan to put up a new 75-foot electronic sign in Wrigley's right field.

The organization unveiled the sign’s design at the Cubs Convention over the weekend, but they may need to ask the Commission on Chicago Landmarks for permission to install it.

The City Council landmarked several “historic elements” of Wrigley in a 2004 agreement. The landmarks include the exterior and marquee sign at Clark and Addison, the manned center-field scoreboard, ivy-covered brick walls, and the uninterrupted sweep of the stadium’s bleachers and grandstand.

The ball-club would need permission from the commission to alter any of these elements, according to The Chicago Sun-Times.

Cubs staff doesn’t believe the sign requires approval and says the change doesn’t affect any of Wrigley’s historic features. Staffers did say, though, they’d be willing to work with the commission if city officials disagree.
-young middle-class lad or lass who feels elated by thinking that he or she has covered all aspects of politics and religion with the help of a few lectures by a certified conspiracy crank or by watching a straight-to-YouTube ‘documentary’. - Nadeem F. Paracha

Its the buddhist in you, it's the pagan in me. Its the muslim in him, she's catholic aint she? Its the born again look it's the wasp and the jew Tell me what's goin on, I aint gotta clue - Jimmy Buffett
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #110
WesTexas

O lord. "Historic Committees" get in the way of progress. The Ivy and Sign out front are the only 2 things I think of when I think of Wrigley.

What will happen when that park is to old and is no longer fit to hold games? Gotta move on a some point.
Old January 21st, 2012, 08:43 AM   #111
RaiderATO

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
The Ivy and Sign out front are the only 2 things I think of when I think of Wrigley.
I think of those two things, and...
-scoreboard
-NL pennants
-W flag
-bleacher seats
-day games....
RaiderATO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:39 PM   #112
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 212

You don't think of the overall look of the stadium at all then?

You could stick ivy and a sign onto Tropicana Field. It wouldn't make it Wrigley.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #113
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...eyUSPlTq0RvLYF

U.S. Cellular Field: Home of the Chicago Cubs?
By 'Duk | Big League Stew – 20 hours ago

It's the question that bubbles up whenever the Chicago Cubs talk about taking the scalpel to Wrigley Field and putting it through the extensive renovation it desperately needs: Just where would the team play if the construction work required shutting the Friendly Confines down for a season?

For all the silly talk about making Cubs fans drive 90 miles north to Milwaukee's Miller Park, there's really only one logical option, of course. That would be U.S. Cellular Field, home of the crosstown rival Chicago White Sox and located about a brisk eight-mile jog from the corner of Clark and Addison. There are even some local rumbles that the Cubs are considering taking up residence at The Cell for the 2013 season, though team officials are currently denying that arrangement.

From NBC Chicago:

Workers at U.S. Cellular tell a different story (than the Cubs' denial). They say they are being warned of a much busier 2013 season (as in, prepare for double the games). (South Side) bar owners tell a similar story.

Again, the Cubs say they haven't thought that far ahead and that they are working on a plan to secure funds to renovate the stadium ahead of the 99th season there.

There are any number of issues the Cubs have to work through before they even think about subletting somewhere, namely securing some public funding for this work.

But as Neil deMause of Field of Schemes speculates, the surfacing of this story could be the Cubs way of floating a "trial balloon" to see how their fans regard the idea of trucking it south for an entire season. I suspect the more practical members of the Cubs' fanbase wouldn't see a problem with taking up residence at U.S. Cellular for a year, especially if it meant returning to retro-fitted comforts of Wrigley the following season. There's also a precedent of such a move working: The Yankees played two seasons at Shea Stadium when old Yankee Stadium was being renovated over 1974 and 1975.......

Of course, there's also the issue of whether or not South Siders would be down with welcoming Cubs fans to their turf for an entire summer.

And to answer that question, a trial balloon won't be necessary at all.

(No, they would not.)

Old February 16th, 2012, 01:36 AM   #114
mrakbaseball
Vorsprung durch Technik

Likes (Received): 12

U.S. Cellular Field was publicly funded. If the Cubs did have to play there for a season or two what would the Sox have to complain about?
mrakbaseball no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 02:10 AM   #115
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 48

Yea why would Sox care, it could mean more money in the pocket for the owner, rent and all that,
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 07:11 AM   #116
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderATO View Post
I think of those two things, and...
-scoreboard
-NL pennants
-W flag
-bleacher seats
-day games....
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #117
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,4867565.story

Wrigley Field bleachers renovation begins

11:36 a.m. CST, February 17, 2012
The Chicago Cubs have started work on the renovation of the right field bleachers.

Chicago Tribune photographer Zbigniew Bzdak took aerial photos of the construction while in a helicopter for an assignment. Thursday.

The Cubs plan to build a patio in the right field corner and install a 75-foot-wide and 7-foot-high LED sign in right field. The sign will flash game statistics and advertising, city officials said.
An aerial view of the construction work on Wrigley Field's right field bleachers. This photo was taken Thursday

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,4867565.story

Old April 3rd, 2012, 10:54 PM   #118
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,4826782.story

Mayor Emanuel: Wrigley renovation talks in 'final stages'
Others say they don't know of any imminent deal

By Kristen Mack and Ameet Sachdev, Chicago Tribune reporters

April 4, 2012

Mayor Rahm Emanuel on Tuesday declared he's in the "final stages" of talks on a plan to renovate historic Wrigley Field, catching off-guard stakeholders from the North Side to City Hall to Springfield.

Lest too much hope spring eternal on the cusp of Opening Day, all parties involved cautioned a deal isn't imminent and several hurdles would have to be overcome.

"The conversations have been productive, but there is no agreement at this time," Emanuel spokeswoman Sarah Hamilton said hours after the mayor made his comments.

Emanuel in recent weeks has been pushing the need to rebuild Chicago. But the issues at Wrigley have lingered for years as two team owners have stressed the need to fix the crumbling ballpark and modernize amenities like bathrooms, kitchens and concourses.

Previous owner Tribune Co. wanted the state to buy and fix Wrigley in 2007 when Rod Blagojevich was governor. That approach went nowhere, and details of the negotiations came out after the now-imprisoned ex-governor was criminally charged.

In late 2010, new Cubs Chairman Tom Ricketts struck out with his idea of using future gains in city and county ticket taxes to help pay for the stadium's face lift. That, Ricketts said, would allow the family to invest $200 million to develop land near the ballpark into offices, restaurants and retail.

That idea has been a non-starter with Emanuel, and it didn't appear much had changed Tuesday when the mayor was asked about the status of Wrigley talks ahead of Thursday's season opener against the Washington Nationals.

"I will not put my money in their field so they can take their money and invest around the field and get greater economic value," Emanuel said.

But Emanuel didn't shut the door on tax money being used in some fashion. Now the mayor and the Cubs are trying to reach an agreement that would allow the team to use a portion of the amusement tax, along with money put up by the Ricketts, on the ballpark and development surrounding Wrigley, according to a source familiar with the negotiations.

The mayor wants the Ricketts family to put "some skin in the game" and guarantee that the city will receive a base level of annual amusement taxes and get some public use out of the development, the source said. The owners agree to that in principle, according to the source.

Not that Emanuel was ready to talk specifics after his strong remark about talks being in the final stages.

"Always remember that I'm here to represent taxpayers, but I'm not here to subsidize private investors with public dollars," Emanuel said.

When asked whether an amusement tax would be part of a plan, Emanuel said, "Every piece fits together. I'll let you know the whole piece when we're ready."

The mayor is trying to thread the needle with Wrigley. Emanuel has raised vehicle sticker fees and water rates as City Hall scrapes for every dime to balance its budget, so the use of tax money could bring blowback from voters if not sold effectively.

Emanuel's insistence that team owners put their own money into Wrigley is "an issue of optics," said William Brandt Jr., chairman of the Illinois Finance Authority, which possibly could issue bonds involved in a stadium renovation. "The optics are important here."

The quiet talks stretching over several months represents a new approach for Ricketts, who went public with his plan before getting buy-in from key politicians, including then-Mayor Richard Daley, and watched it promptly get buried. The team said little on Tuesday.

"We know efforts like these take time and we will continue to work hard to reach a consensus," Cubs spokesman Julian Green said in a statement.

Gov.Pat Quinn'sadministration has had little involvement in discussions at this stage and has yet to be approached with a plan.

"We're waiting for details," Quinn said. "I've talked to the mayor in general about it, but I think most people would feel that it's important that the Cubs themselves, the team, put some money into their own stadium."

Ald. Thomas Tunney, whose 44th Ward includes Wrigley Field, said aldermen have not been briefed by the Emanuel administration on how the renovation would be financed.

"There is a whole menu of different ideas, but they are just ideas," Tunney said.

One option, the alderman said, would be creating a special taxing district around the ballpark that would be funded through either property, sales or amusement taxes. In most tax increment financing districts, property taxes paid to local governments are frozen for up to 23 years, and any additional tax collections are used to build infrastructure that promotes economic development.

With the city still facing future budget deficits in the hundreds of millions of dollars, the economic benefits to the city as a whole will have to be clear, Tunney said.

If Emanuel and the Cubs were to reach agreement, they'd have to sell a plan in Springfield. Senate President John Cullerton, D-Chicago, a vocal supporter of the need to renovate Wrigley, has been involved with the mayor in "ongoing talks with the Cubs," said Cullerton spokesman Ronald Holmes.

"We're pleased with the mayor's enthusiasm. We're pleased that he's thinks we're close," Holmes said. "The Cubs haven't actually given us a proposal. As far as I know, no specifics have been agreed upon at this time by all individuals in the room."

There's not much construction that could be done at the ballpark before early October, given that there's six months of baseball to be played.

In Springfield, there isn't likely to be much appetite for dealing with Wrigley Field until after the November election. All 177 lawmakers are on the ballot running in new districts this fall, and it's easier to ask them to take a politically tricky vote after the election.

The lame duck session at the Capitol has proven to be a politically potent time. Many lawmakers know they've kept their jobs for at least two years, and some of those who lost their seats historically have been more willing to go along.

Following the November 2010 election, lawmakers voted for a major income tax increase, legalized civil unions and banned the death penalty. The rebuilding of Soldier Field, which involved tax money, was approved by lawmakers after the November 2000 election.

Tribune reporters Hal Dardick, Ray Long, Monique Garcia and John Byrne contributed

Last edited by nomarandlee; April 4th, 2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 11:07 PM   #119
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...7.photogallery

The new LED board

The new LED board

Ron Santo statue

Old April 4th, 2012, 04:14 AM   #120
JJG

Likes (Received): 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...7.photogallery

The new LED board

The new LED board

You know, I'm more of a modernist (if that's a word), but even I think this is wrong...
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago