daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > KiwiScrapers

KiwiScrapers Kia Kaha

Old February 12th, 2012, 02:10 AM   #61
KiwiGuy
Vote for Me (Or Else)

Likes (Received): 762

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambennett View Post
Hey Rob think you will be much happier here http://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/

Why don't you do us all a favour and head over there so you can be with the other bigots. Then we won't have to read the shite you constantly post.
Meanwhile, some of us on the right are sitting here thinking "I do wish these idiots would simply mind their own business."

Sponsored Links

Old February 12th, 2012, 05:14 AM   #62
cambennett

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiRob View Post
corrected it for you.
Sorry forgot that being able to point to some sort of tenuous non white ancestory somewhere in your past allows you to be as bigoted as you like.

Good to hear you are hardworking which it appears you mean this is in contrast to all the immigrants, gays and lefties you dislike so much, you well balanced centerist.

Quote:
Meanwhile, some of us on the right are sitting here thinking "I do wish these idiots would simply mind their own business."
You are just about the only poster here who not only takes Rob seriously but actually agrees with him. Sounds like you might enjoy kiwiblog as well young fella. It has all the most bitter and twisted, mean spirited rantings you can handle. I reckon you'll love it. As for minding my own business -it's just a suggestion - take it or leave it.

Last edited by cambennett; February 12th, 2012 at 05:30 AM.
cambennett no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 07:37 AM   #63
KiwiGuy
Vote for Me (Or Else)

Likes (Received): 762

Quote:
You are just about the only poster here who not only takes Rob seriously but actually agrees with him. Sounds like you might enjoy kiwiblog as well young fella. It has all the most bitter and twisted, mean spirited rantings you can handle. I reckon you'll love it. As for minding my own business -it's just a suggestion - take it or leave it.
Some of us have the benefit of not having our heads shoved too far up our arses. I for one don't subscribe to the teachings of Lenin or Marx and me being of a right leaning disposition doesn't automatically make me a bigot or anything else you people like to label me as.

But go ahead and act like they way you have. It only serves to make my premonitions of your type stronger.
Old February 12th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #64
DML2
Aucklander

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
You are just about the only poster here who not only takes Rob seriously but actually agrees with him..
Because there is only a narrow cross section of NZ society on Kiwiscrapers. There are a lot of people that would agree with his points of view on many topics

:D
DML2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #65
KiwiRob
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:

Good to hear you are hardworking which it appears you mean this is in contrast to all the immigrants, gays and lefties you dislike so much, you well balanced centerist.
Point out where I have ever said I have a problem with gay people, I don't I was merely pointing out that this forum has a very large percentage of gay members. But I'm not overly fond of greens or the radical left and I'd rather NZ closed it doors on immigration or made a very very difficult for people to come here.

Quote:
This is exactly the problem with this page anyone who disagrees with the majority here who are lefty green we are automatically bitter twisted bigoted racists. I'm pretty sure that the points of view expressed by the majority of Kiwiscraper members are in fact a minority view in the wider NZ population.
KiwiRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #66
badbehaviour
From Hamilton, NZ

This is a really boring argument which re-occurs every 6 weeks or so, and certainly doesn't belong in this thread.
badbehaviour no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #67
KLK

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
?.... I'd rather NZ closed it doors on immigration or made a very very difficult for people to come here.
so it should be difficult for people to come and live in NZ, but easy for NZers like yourself to go and work in Europe?
KLK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #68
KiwiRob
BANNED

The reason why I'm in Norway is because I married a Norwegian, family reunification is different from economic migration. I think NZ should limit immigration, it might keep a lot of kiwi's in NZ and not buggering off to Aussie or wherever else, that's got to be good for NZ.
KiwiRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #69
cambennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiGuy View Post
Some of us have the benefit of not having our heads shoved too far up our arses. I for one don't subscribe to the teachings of Lenin or Marx and me being of a right leaning disposition doesn't automatically make me a bigot or anything else you people like to label me as.

But go ahead and act like they way you have. It only serves to make my premonitions of your type stronger.
The teachings of Lenin or Marx. Seriously are you for real? Does this mean by inference that because you are right you "subscribe to the teachings" of Rand or Hyek?

BTW you have premonitions?? That's really interesting. What's that like? Do you do tarot card readings? What can you actually see?

Last edited by cambennett; February 12th, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old February 12th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #70
cambennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML2 View Post
Because there is only a narrow cross section of NZ society on Kiwiscrapers. There are a lot of people that would agree with his points of view on many topics
I would suggest that people who have only mixed within a narrow cross section of NZ society would agree with Rob's views. Just my opinion.

Quote:
I'd rather NZ closed it doors on immigration or made a very very difficult for people to come here.
Yep you are a centerist for sure, and by the way this would do nothting to stop people moving to Australia or anywhere else it would just rapidly shrink our economy as people leaving would not be replaced which would probably lead to an even bigger exodus by kiwis as opportunities got less and less.

Quote:
This is a really boring argument which re-occurs every 6 weeks or so, and certainly doesn't belong in this thread.
Fair call. I'll knock this on the head by not commenting further.

Last edited by cambennett; February 12th, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old February 15th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #71
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Likes (Received): 4181

Quake-hit mall is top of the shops

image hosted on flickr

Westfield Mall by craigsydnz, on Flickr

A shopping centre in earthquake-hit Christchurch was the star performer in New Zealand for global mall owner Westfield last year. Westfield is New Zealand's largest shopping centre landlord with 12 malls worth $1.4 billion which put through $2.2 billion of sales in the December year. Despite a few vacancies the portfolio is 99.5 per cent occupied. Westfield Group yesterday announced its full-year results to December 31 and its accounts showed how earthquake-hit Christchurch makes more money than any other New Zealand city. Riccarton mall made total annual sales in the December year of $407.1 million. The mall was shut for just over a week following the February 22 earthquake, and also lost half a day's trading after the December 23 aftershocks.

Next on the list was Westfield Albany at $305 million followed by St Lukes which made $267.4 million. Newmarket's 277 made $131.7 million, Hamilton's Chartwell $125.5 million and Downtown in Auckland's CBD $68.1 million. The biggest annual retail sales growth was at Riccarton, up 16.3 per cent, followed by Downtown up 5.8 per cent. The biggest drop was at Chartwell, down 16 per cent. Most other malls showed a smaller variance in retail sales growth. Shore City was up 1.8 per cent, and Albany up 2.8 per cent. Westfield (NZ) has 437,483 sq m of total lettable area in New Zealand and 1711 retailers trading from its malls.

Riccarton is also the star performer in terms of having the largest number of tenants at 198 stores, followed by St Lukes, which Westfield plans to double in size, at 194 tenancies. Riccarton also remains the largest of Westfield's investments in New Zealand, at 55,205sq m, followed by Albany at 53,165sq m and Queensgate at 51,735sq m. Overall, the value of Westfield's real estate investment here dropped from $1.46 billion in the December 2010 year to $1.45 billion. Craig Tyson, OnePath equity investment manager in Auckland, praised the numbers. OnePath has a $35 million investment in Westfield.

Westfield Group's net income climbed to A$881.8 million ($1.13 billion) in the six months to December 31, from A$153.1 million a year ago - an increase of 476 per cent. The company yesterday said it had formed a A$4.8 billion joint venture with the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board. Canada Pension will become a 45 per cent joint-venture partner in a portfolio of 12 US properties.

I AM NOT AFRAID OF GLAMOUR, I LOVE IT

BLOG + FLICKR + TWITTER + FACEBOOK + PINTEREST
+ INSTAGRAM
SYDNEY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #72
IThomas
Bitch up your life!

Likes (Received): 3664

Mitre 10 to open new mega stores.

Mitre 10 has confirmed it will complete at least four new Mega stores in 2012 bringing up to 200 new jobs to locations in Whangarei, Rotorua, Manukau and Christchurch. The new year construction programme for New Zealand's largest hardware and gardening retailer began last week with earthworks under way at a new site in the Christchurch suburb of Hornby. The site is about 400 metres from the current Mega store and the expansion will create 10 new jobs. The 11,000 square metre new Hornby store will replace the current store of 5500 square metres as demand in the area has outgrown the location. Mitre 10 Chief Executive John Hartmann also confirmed plans to completely rebuild the Ferrymead Mega store which was damaged in the both major quakes in the city. "We are really committed to the Christchurch area which has been very successful for Mitre 10. The Ferrymead team have been great in continuing to service their area but the store suffered significant damage and we will rebuild it sooner rather than later," said Mr Hartmann. "Site foundation work began in Rotorua (7600 sqm) and Whangarei (5500 sqm) late last year and we are currently in the process of finding general managers for both of those stores. The first major task for those appointees will be to recruit their teams. "We're expecting to recruit up to 60 staff for the new Rotorua store and 30 more staff for the Whangarei Mega store that is replacing the current much smaller Mitre 10 store." Mr Hartmann said up to 80 new jobs will be created when Mitre 10 opens its first Mega store in the Manukau City centre. "There is huge growth through the southern Auckland city area and you also have big catchments of DIY and trade customers in the Alfriston and Clevedon lifestyle block areas. We've had stores in Manukau for more than 20 years but this will be the first Mega store and we think the large format store will suit local demands. Our stores also tend to increase foot traffic in the area bringing benefits to other outlets in the Manukau City centre." Mr Hartmann said the focus on construction of new large format Mega stores was being driven by customer demand and the popularity of the format. "We had to double the size of our first Mitre 10 Mega store in Hastings last year because demand outstripped the site in just seven years and it's the same story for the new Hornby store. The Hastings store was one of eleven new mega outlets opened in the past 18 months and we have several other new Mega store locations in our sights. "The mix of trade and retail facilities, a huge gardening section, cafes, play areas for children and our continued focus on improved products and ranges in the Mega stores is bringing in customers. "The appeal of the format to customers is also being reflected in upward trends in our sales figures and that in turn is driving our growth. The building programme means we have more than double the number of outlets of our main rival in the sector and gives us a truly national footprint. "Our projected group revenue of almost $900 million for the year to June 30, 2012 also means we have surpassed nearest rival Placemakers as No.1 in the retail/trade hardware and home improvement sector by sales."
IThomas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #73
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Northlands is star performer for Kiwi Income

image hosted on flickr

Industrial by Cle0patra, on Flickr

Sales at Christchurch’s Northlands Shopping Centre surged 25% after rival outlets were knocked out by earthquakes last year. Owner, Stock Exchange-listed Kiwi Income Property, reported the result when it revealed retail spending at its six malls around the country for the year ending December 2011. Kiwi Income made the announcement ahead of an investor road show to the United States. In percentage terms the Northland centre’s $390.5 million performance outshone Westfield Riccarton’s jump in sales over the same period by 16.3% to $407 million.

Other malls such as The Palms (privately owned) at Shirley, and Eastgate at Linwood (owned by listed National Property) were both closed in the February earthquake, forcing residents to seek supplies further afield.
Kiwi also enjoyed strong performances at Sylvia Park Shopping Centre (+7.0%) and Lynn Mall Shopping Centre (+5.3%) in Auckland, as well as The Plaza in Palmerston North (+7.5%) and North City in Porirua (+4.2%). “Conversely, the competition-affected Centre Place Shopping Centre in Hamilton, currently undergoing redevelopment, posted negative growth with sales declining 21.4%,” the company said.

The Christmas trading period was particularly strong for the Trust’s portfolio of six shopping centres with December 2011 sales for the portfolio up 10.0%. Standout performers were Sylvia Park, Lynn Mall and Northlands, which recorded December sales increases of 10.1%, 10.5% and 15.2% respectively compared to the same month in the prior year. “Looking ahead, our research indicates that sales growth over 2012 is projected to be 3-4% and over the medium term should continue to grow in line with the general economy at about 4% a year.”

+ INSTAGRAM
Old March 27th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #75
metroman
metroman

Likes (Received): 8

"Queenstown"

http://www.propertyscene.co.nz/prope...retail/7qt95l/
metroman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #76
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 1924

I really do prefer Sylvia Park out of the two behemoths in Auckland. The indoor/outdoor flow and the overall design I feel is better - plus the train station is a big draw. Have you heard anything about the expansion of Sylvia Park in recent months at all anyone?

My Photo Tours: Singapore Dec 2013, Tokyo Dec 2013, New Zealand Dec 2013 and Jan 2014

YouTube Channel
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #77
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
I really do prefer Sylvia Park out of the two behemoths in Auckland. The indoor/outdoor flow and the overall design I feel is better - plus the train station is a big draw. Have you heard anything about the expansion of Sylvia Park in recent months at all anyone?
I also prefer Sylvia Park ... The expansion plans for Sylvia Park have been approved but no idea when construction will take place. Plans have also been approved for Albany Westfield to double in size and it looks as if they are about to start construction at 277 in Newmarket - most tenants have left the building that is to be demolished but there are no renders available As you know - St Lukes has also been approved which will become the Country's largest shopping centre.

It is a real shame that there's a shopping mall culture developing but what can you do

+ INSTAGRAM
Old March 28th, 2012, 12:40 AM   #78
metroman
metroman

Likes (Received): 8

As in Australia I would say there will be a great deal of delaying future expansions. At the moment retail is really struggling to compete with online shopping and within five years the technology for virtual malls will be pretty close to being available to a lot of people. Malls may become white elephants in the future or possibly serve a different function.
metroman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #79
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 1924

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
I also prefer Sylvia Park ... The expansion plans for Sylvia Park have been approved but no idea when construction will take place. Plans have also been approved for Albany Westfield to double in size and it looks as if they are about to start construction at 277 in Newmarket - most tenants have left the building that is to be demolished but there are no renders available As you know - St Lukes has also been approved which will become the Country's largest shopping centre.

It is a real shame that there's a shopping mall culture developing but what can you do
I agree that shopping malls aren't the best thing, but sometimes they can compliment the city centre. Whilst there are lots of malls here (and some darned big ones) as part of the suburbs, the city centre is where all the flagship stores are, much in the same way that Auckland has the boutiques and specialised shopping in the city centre too (heck give me QS and all the other streets around it over St. Lukes anyday)!

277 is pretty good news really. It's better to have a mall integrated into the community like 277 is largely than to have monoliths like Albany or St. Lukes. I hope that the 277 expansion will encourage more and more people to visit Newmarket in its entirety too as that can only be good for all retailers on Broadway (and behind).

I had heard that the expansion plans had been approved (my sis used to work at Sylvia), however, it's a shame construction hasn't been announced. I have high hopes for Sylvia Park! A shame to hear that Westfield is expanding though. I think that Albany is too cut off from the city and transport (despite the Northern Busway being close) for it to be anything but a car-centric mall at present. Sylvia Park, I feel has a better community around it and will hopefully integrate more closely with it as time goes on. Sure it's a little bit of an island now, but far less so than Albany. I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroman View Post
As in Australia I would say there will be a great deal of delaying future expansions. At the moment retail is really struggling to compete with online shopping and within five years the technology for virtual malls will be pretty close to being available to a lot of people. Malls may become white elephants in the future or possibly serve a different function.
Not so sure about that. Scandinavia, for all its love of buying online, is still expanding malls, a new one opened in the centre of Stockholm this weekend (see here) and is building the biggest mall in Scandinavia at the new football arena currently, yet has almost completely done away with mainstream record and DVD stores. Why? Because people purchase movies and music online here now (especially with spotify and most mobile phones having free 4G internet access now). With 1GB/s broadband common at home mainstream music and video retailers were no longer needed so they've gone as you can just download films you want to watch on your TV to your hard disc. You still have niche and specialist music and video stores but no more mainstream music/videos outside of department stores (as they don't specialise on one particular product).

That said, other sectors of retail are more popular than ever. Why? Because there are some things that the internet cannot replace. The act of walking down the street and browsing clothes. It's not the same to see clothes or shoes in particular on the screen, you want to touch them, try them on, check their quality etc. With electronics, you want to have a play with them, check they have the functions you need etc etc. I'm sure you get my point.

So, whilst internet shopping may replace some things, it certainly won't replace everything by any stretch of the imagination.

My Photo Tours: Singapore Dec 2013, Tokyo Dec 2013, New Zealand Dec 2013 and Jan 2014

YouTube Channel

Last edited by Svartmetall; March 28th, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 11:55 AM   #80
KaneD

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
The reason why I'm in Norway is because I married a Norwegian, family reunification is different from economic migration. I think NZ should limit immigration, it might keep a lot of kiwi's in NZ and not buggering off to Aussie or wherever else, that's got to be good for NZ.
But how did you become to marry a Norwegian? Was it because you were working in a country outside NZ or your spouse was working in NZ?
KaneD no está en línea   Reply With Quote