daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area

Leeds Metro Area Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 17th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #121
Leeds No.1
Registered User
 
Leeds No.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Leeds, EU
Posts: 25,188
Likes (Received): 713

Had been thinking about this recently and only just remembered to mention it...

To make the City Park higher quality and more deliverable, what about teaming up with organisations such as the RHS to deliver a major attraction that people will visit?

I mention the RHS as all their gardens are country gardens, with only Harlow Carr in the north. Given the opportunity, I'd expect them to be keen on the challenge of developing a high quality urban garden in a flagship location like this.

It would be a coup for Leeds, and would really attract a different group of people who would perhaps normally avoid cities.
Leeds No.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old February 18th, 2012, 04:18 AM   #122
mike okane
Registered User
 
mike okane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Leeds
Posts: 1,801
Likes (Received): 387

Don't know if the Braime steelworks are mentioned in the Southbank document (i'll read the PDFs), but i think it should be bought by the City council and converted into a multi use venue for Exhibitions, Conferences, Music, fleamarkets, sports events etc.in the way the Queens Hall was utilised.The site is large enough to also function as a science/engineering museum, and would create a link to Clarence Dock and the Armouries , saving an impressive building for public use.
mike okane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #123
Austin_rothwell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 944
Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike okane View Post
Don't know if the Braime steelworks are mentioned in the Southbank document (i'll read the PDFs), but i think it should be bought by the City council and converted into a multi use venue for Exhibitions, Conferences, Music, fleamarkets, sports events etc.in the way the Queens Hall was utilised.The site is large enough to also function as a science/engineering museum, and would create a link to Clarence Dock and the Armouries , saving an impressive building for public use.
I think it's mentioned as an adjacent listed building within the document but it's a big site for Braime to even consider relocating from. It doesn't need saving while it's still in use.
Austin_rothwell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 01:30 AM   #124
mike okane
Registered User
 
mike okane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Leeds
Posts: 1,801
Likes (Received): 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_rothwell View Post
I think it's mentioned as an adjacent listed building within the document but it's a big site for Braime to even consider relocating from. It doesn't need saving while it's still in use.
Ta for that info.I thought there was a planning app for housing use on a sign outside the works maybe 4 or 5 years back, but must be mistaken.Obviously good that the works are being utilised for their original purpose!
mike okane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #125
MattN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The M1
Posts: 3,091
Likes (Received): 67

I don't know if it got as far as planning. I do remember seeing an article on the Middleton Today site about how Nicholas Braime was hoping to sell it with the potential for it all to be demolished, but it got listed. Seems strange to me that a man who's ancestors had such a magnificent building built, and which is still in the family, should think like that but what ho. The article claimed that just the canteen is listed but the council's register of listed buildings contradicts this.

I think they eventually decided, given the economic situation that unfolded, that it was unrealistic to expect anyone to buy it any time soon so they decided to keep the business there.
MattN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:47 AM   #126
Leeds No.1
Registered User
 
Leeds No.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Leeds, EU
Posts: 25,188
Likes (Received): 713

Asda set to buy Leeds Tetley’s brewery site EXCLUSIVE

By Jonathan Brown
Published on Wednesday 13 June 2012 06:50

Asda looks set to buy the Tetley’s brewery site at the centre of Leeds, the YEP understands.

Talks could lead to the supermarket chain taking over the entire 22 acre site, in Hunslet, following its five-year temporary use as a gallery, green space and 900-space car park.

A source close to discussions between Asda and Carlsberg, which owns the site, has revealed Asda’s “huge interest” in the land that has led to them being given first option to buy.

It is thought that following the sale, Asda House, in Great Wilson Street, would be relocated to the site.

The source, who did not want to be named, told the YEP: “In overall terms I expect Asda to use it as an opportunity to build on something they did 30 years ago – it was ground breaking to be that side of the river but the world’s moved on.”

He said if Asda vacated its current site seven acre site, Leeds City Council’s ambitions for a large city park could be realised there.

Demolition of 37 buildings on the site of the historic brewery site is expected to finish in mid-July.

John Rowe, chairman of Leeds Campaign for Real Ale, said: “Turn it into some soulless, basic call centre and administration office for an American-owned chain of supermarkets seems very much a kick in the face for the citizens of Leeds.”

Click here to register and have your say on the stories and issues that matter to you

Development at the brewery would fit into a revamp of 40 acres of land on the south side of the River Aire, known as the Leeds South Bank, to create housing, jobs and green space. An informal masterplan to help guide future development in the area was adopted by the council last year.

The project will also include land owned by Asda, the council, and Northern Irish developer McAleer and Rushe.

As part of this the council consulted with South Bank landowners, over plans for an up to 12acre city centre park.

Dr Kevin Grady, director of Leeds Civic Trust, said: “For the city centre park to go ahead in the longer term it was one of those things that Asda moving locations would be rather helpful towards, so it would not be inconceivable that a move like that would happen.”

He said Asda probably wouldn’t need all of the 22 acre site, which has been valued at £65million. It is though the super market chain would sell off what they don’t need when the market picks up.

Coun Richard Lewis, the council’s executive member for development, said: “We remain committed to the agreed planning framework for the city’s South Bank – which includes housing and offices as well as a city park.”

A Carlsberg UK spokeswoman said: “Carlsberg UK continues to look at opportunities for the future of the Tetley’s site.”

Asda declined to comment.
Leeds No.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 12:07 PM   #127
SalsaShark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Leeds
Posts: 372
Likes (Received): 72

Asda relocating does seem very beneficial to Leeds for the development of the South Bank and a well-positioned city centre park, rather than it being massively out on a limb. So, overall this strikes me as good news, despite the grumbles from CAMRA.

But how come the proposed gallery at the Tetley's site is only a 5-year temporary measure? Did I miss something? We desperately need a decent modern art gallery, so I would hope that after the 5 years it would be relocated rather than dropped.
SalsaShark está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #128
Leeds No.1
Registered User
 
Leeds No.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Leeds, EU
Posts: 25,188
Likes (Received): 713

I wonder what PSL have to say on the issue. It hadn't been mentioned before that the art gallery was temporary use.
Leeds No.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 03:39 AM   #129
Mister City
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,226
Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalsaShark View Post
Asda relocating does seem very beneficial to Leeds for the development of the South Bank and a well-positioned city centre park, rather than it being massively out on a limb. So, overall this strikes me as good news, despite the grumbles from CAMRA.

But how come the proposed gallery at the Tetley's site is only a 5-year temporary measure? Did I miss something? We desperately need a decent modern art gallery, so I would hope that after the 5 years it would be relocated rather than dropped.
I really hope Asda doesn't buy the site. I'm in total agreement at with CAMRA. To turn this into a bland HQ for ASDA would be a total disaster!! Why can't it be turned into some sort of tourist attraction. It is in a prime location and could be turned into something gret that could really put Leeds on the map!!!
Mister City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 04:29 AM   #130
Aaronj09
Not a Registered User
 
Aaronj09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The posh part of Leeds
Posts: 9,952
Likes (Received): 1403

A bland HQ? Have you not seen Co-op's HQ? How is that bland at all? It's striking. Asda could easily build something similar. And once Asda relocate, the council's plans for a large park will finally become a reality. It makes total sense.
__________________
Void
Aaronj09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #131
Suburban Knight
ßANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Leeds!
Posts: 4,208
Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1 View Post
I wonder what PSL have to say on the issue. It hadn't been mentioned before that the art gallery was temporary use.
Presumably it was one of the terms discussed in negotiations originally.
__________________
Sometimes I wonder if the world's so small
That we can never get away from the sprawl
Living in the sprawl
Dead shopping malls rise like mountains beyond mountains
And there's no end in sight
I need the darkness, someone please cut the lights
Suburban Knight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #132
Suburban Knight
ßANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Leeds!
Posts: 4,208
Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronj09 View Post
A bland HQ? Have you not seen Co-op's HQ? How is that bland at all? It's striking. Asda could easily build something similar. And once Asda relocate, the council's plans for a large park will finally become a reality. It makes total sense.
Don't take the bait, he always talks nonsense and doesn't think about what cities actually need!
__________________
Sometimes I wonder if the world's so small
That we can never get away from the sprawl
Living in the sprawl
Dead shopping malls rise like mountains beyond mountains
And there's no end in sight
I need the darkness, someone please cut the lights
Suburban Knight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #133
Philo
Registered User
 
Philo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 119
Likes (Received): 9

Would ASDA seriously occupy all the old brewery site? It's huge! Maybe three times the existing footprint of ASDA headquarters, looking at the council's south bank documents. It seems to me that one key thing would be to get public access through the site from bridge end south to gt wilson street and crown point road, and possibly east west as well, so that it's not the monolithic obstacle that the brewery was. That would be to reinstate some of the traditional road layout. But would that be compatible with what ASDA wants to do with it?
Philo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #134
Mister City
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,226
Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Knight View Post
Don't take the bait, he always talks nonsense and doesn't think about what cities actually need!
Excuse me!! There's no need to be so rude!! I don't agree with all your opinions but I've never insulted you so please don't insult me!!
Mister City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #135
10123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,605
Likes (Received): 342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philo View Post
Would ASDA seriously occupy all the old brewery site? It's huge! Maybe three times the existing footprint of ASDA headquarters, looking at the council's south bank documents. It seems to me that one key thing would be to get public access through the site from bridge end south to gt wilson street and crown point road, and possibly east west as well, so that it's not the monolithic obstacle that the brewery was. That would be to reinstate some of the traditional road layout. But would that be compatible with what ASDA wants to do with it?
It's nearly four times the size of the current HQ.



It's expected they'll sell any land they don't use.

Considering the price of the site- 65 million - I would expect something on the scale of the Coop HQ. Otherwise they wouldn't spend a huge amount on the land.
10123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #136
alphaxion
Elegantly Twisted
 
alphaxion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Like a statement of truth from a politician, always shifting
Posts: 7,456
Likes (Received): 1282

It'll be a damn groundscaper, you mark my words

I doubt it will get higher than 4 or 5 levels
__________________
http://www.verticalslice.tv - Your slice of geek news and culture!
alphaxion está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #137
Lad 2011
\___Loiner___/
 
Lad 2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Leeds
Posts: 4,374
Likes (Received): 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaxion View Post
It'll be a damn groundscaper, you mark my words

I doubt it will get higher than 4 or 5 levels
I think the opposite... we will most likely see something tall.
Lad 2011 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #138
Alexi Lalas
Registered User
 
Alexi Lalas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Leeds
Posts: 799
Likes (Received): 20

I don't think that tall builds generally suit one Tennant very well. They're much better suited to having a number of companies in, spread over the different floors. I would be very suprised to see anything more than 4 or 5 floors. Anything more would not be practical.
Alexi Lalas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #139
Leeds No.1
Registered User
 
Leeds No.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Leeds, EU
Posts: 25,188
Likes (Received): 713

I'm backing alphaxion. Why would it be something tall? It's a big site in a sparsely developed area. There's no reason for it to be tall.

If it's the height of Indigo Blu I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Leeds No.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #140
Leeds No.1
Registered User
 
Leeds No.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Leeds, EU
Posts: 25,188
Likes (Received): 713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexi Lalas View Post
I don't think that tall builds generally suit one Tennant very well. They're much better suited to having a number of companies in, spread over the different floors. I would be very suprised to see anything more than 4 or 5 floors. Anything more would not be practical.
True, although in the case of a big company like ASDA they could easily fill a tower. However, the geography of the area makes me doubt it'd be anything tall.
Leeds No.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu