daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Economy, Infrastructure and Transportation > Sporting Infrastructure and Events > The Touchline

The Touchline Sports

Old February 15th, 2012, 07:40 AM   #1
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 287

Super 15 - 2012

A new year, the season is beginning, time for a new thread.
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 15th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #2
annman
Annman

Saru to use TV clout in Super Rugby battle
Craig Ray | 15 February, 2012 06:180 Comments

Patrick Lambie during the Sharks training session at Mr Price Kings Park on February 14, 2012 in Durban
Image by: Steve Haag / Gallo Images

SOUTH African rugby will use its TV clout to press for a sixth team in Super rugby next year.

The five local teams in the Super 15 have sent a new proposal to the SA Rugby Union (Saru) putting their case for expanding the tournament to the Super 16 from 2013.

Now it will be up to Saru to persuade its Australian and New Zealand counterparts to agree to that expansion and award the extra side to South Africa. This would spare South African rugby the pain of relegating one of its five current Super 15 teams to make way for the entry next year of the Southern Kings, to which Saru has already committed itself.

Unless Saru is successful, which at this stage seems unlikely, one of the Bulls, Cheetahs, Lions, Sharks or Stormers will drop out next year. The five have, however, presented an argument based on the South African television viewership of the Super 15.

According to statistics supplied to the Super 15 organising body, Sanzar, by Repucom, South African viewers made up 62% of the Super 15 television audience in 2011.

"We're taking a firm stand because South African sides bring the most commercial value to the table. You only have to look at the broadcast deal to understand that," said Sharks chief executive Brian van Zyl.

"Sanzar would be stupid not to help us."

The television trend in favour of South Africa has been apparent forseveral years. Local channe,l Supersport, pays the most for broadcast rights. Simply put, SA brings in the most money and viewers -yet income is shared equally between the three national unions.

"If you look at the television viewership, we (South Africans) are the basis of the whole agreement," said Bulls chief executive Barend van Graan.

"Sanzar must be reasonable because we have a unique situation in our country and they must give a little to make the whole process sustainable on our side. If one team were relegated, it would probably be the end of them."

Supersport has said it will follow Saru's lead.

Counting against South Africa's proposal is a feeling that there is no appetite for expansion on the other side of the Indian Ocean. Sanzar chief executive Greg Peters has already dismissed the likelihood.

"Sanzar has sold the current structure of Super rugby to broadcasters and commercial partners for a period ending on December 31, 2015. Until that time, expansion is not possible," he said.

Australian Rugby Union boss, and Sanzar board member, John O'Neill agreed, saying: "We're in the second year of a five-year deal in which we sold to the broadcasters a 15-team competition. Changing that deal in midstream is not really on."

The situation has become so delicate that Saru has tried to gag local Super 15 chief executives on the matter. Saru chief executive Jurie Roux has been negotiating contracts with Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer's potential back-room staff and is not keen to fly to Sydney, only to be told politely where to get off by his Australian and New Zealand counterparts.

If the five current Super 15 teams are so concerned, why did they vote to include the Kings next year? Only Van Zyl offered an insight.

"The Kings issue has been around so long, and there has been so much political pressure, that it was an emotional decision," Van Zyl said. "There is a hell of a lot of pressure being put on everyone, from equity partners to government, to include the Kings. It's such a hot potato, if only one union said no to the Kings inclusion, there could have been a backlash."
Old February 15th, 2012, 07:47 AM   #3
annman
Annman

Someone, PLEASE explain this to me, what is the obsession with the Southern Kings?! They just lost a friendly against the Lions in George 88-0!!!

Don't say, "to grow rugby in the EC." Rugby development occurs from the ground-up, schools, then clubs, then VodaCom Cup, then Super15, not top down.

How can they relegate another team? This seems it could be grounds of a legal battle by a union against SARU. How, for arguments sake, could this mickey-mouse operation (they haven't proved differently on the scoreboard), kick someone like say, the Cheetahs off the Super 15 if SANZAR does not budge on the commitment to 15 teams? Surely "relegation" can only be imposed on the worst team, not the worst team other than the Southern Kings... it does not seem legal.

Well done if SARU can get it changed to the Super 16, however I doubt the Southern Kings can outperform any SA team. They are NOT a side that is of standard; not yet anyway. I dare SARU tell the people of the Free State (or some other union) they no longer have a team, after a straight losing season for the Southern Kings, because we "just must make way for them." I can see Bloemfonteiners going down to PE, beating up random people, painting every building Orange and dumping rotten cows and sheep on every urban open space.

Last edited by annman; February 15th, 2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old February 15th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv

Likes (Received): 31

Its bullshit, Kings should just accept the fact they arent good enough.

Anyone seen the Bulls away kit? Its pink

Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 06:53 AM   #5
Marsupalami

Likes (Received): 75

I'm here in Melbourne just now, and cant wait to see the Rebels getting whipped by our boys - no matter which team it is from SA - they have my support - and yells from the bleachers! - they do have a nice stadium though!
image hosted on flickr

AAMI Park HDR by melburnian, on Flickr
Old February 16th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #6
Letter16

Likes (Received): 1

its time to try something else. whether its the kings or anyone else. SA has been living with the real embarassement in the lions and to a lesser extent the cheetahs looking at how they have done with their years in super rugby. years of under performance with no real incentive to improve. they are gauranteed a spot back every year. saying the kings wont cope is a failure to recognise the advantages of incumbancy. obviously the kings or any other franchise that is currently not playing super rugby would not be competitive with you average super14 franchise. give them the same sanzar money and the ability to pay and attract talented and ambitious players with the promise of super14 exposure and only then can you know whether the descision was wise. how can anyone do worse than than the following record:
(lions and cats ranking in superrugby)
SUPER 12
2002-11th
2003-12th LAST
2004-12th LAST
2005-11th
SUPER 14
2006-13th
2007-12th
2008-13th
2009-12th
2010-14th LAST no wins (record)
SUPER 15
2011-14th

Last edited by Letter16; February 16th, 2012 at 03:20 PM.
Letter16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #7
Capitol1

Likes (Received): 18

Bulls 2012 Home Kit

Bulls 2012 Away Kit

I think it is something different to the usual...
Old February 17th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #8
Diggerdog

Likes (Received): 739

Dear Bulls

Seriously?
Old February 17th, 2012, 12:24 AM   #9
Deebo.
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Sharks need to move into MM Stadium....and blow up Kings park stadium...its 2012 not the 60s....what kind of shitty mentality is that to have a brand new stadium yet sign a lifetime deal to stay at kings park
Deebo. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 06:28 AM   #10
Switch

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo. View Post
Sharks need to move into MM Stadium....and blow up Kings park stadium...its 2012 not the 60s....what kind of shitty mentality is that to have a brand new stadium yet sign a lifetime deal to stay at kings park
Because MM Stadium is a terrible stadium for Rugby!

The seat are far from the playing surface.
The is a hole in the stadium where the poles will be and the prevailing wind blows straight into it!
The sharks have huge medical and training facilities within Kings Park which they would loss if they moved.

When MM Stadium was being designed they didn't consult The Sharks at all. Now that is a stupid mentality!!!
Old February 17th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #11
Deebo.
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
Because MM Stadium is a terrible stadium for Rugby!

The seat are far from the playing surface.
The is a hole in the stadium where the poles will be and the prevailing wind blows straight into it!
The sharks have huge medical and training facilities within Kings Park which they would loss if they moved.

When MM Stadium was being designed they didn't consult The Sharks at all. Now that is a stupid mentality!!!
Deebo. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #12
musiccity
Retired Mod

Likes (Received): 4435

Awesome! Wish rugby was more popular here in the States..
My whole life I've been dying and wishing to live and experience everything possible.
When I told em' my dreams they just said it ain't logical, now I can see it it's optical"

musiccity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:33 AM   #13
annman
Annman

I see KAK coming...

SANZAR firm on S15 expansion
2012-02-21 12:14

Johannesburg - SANZAR chief executive Greg Peters reiterated on Tuesday that the Super Rugby competition could not be expanded to accommodate a sixth South African team until 2015.

“What we have said is that we will always talk to our partners as we should have dialogue with the joint venture partners,” Peters said.

“But we have sold our format of Super Rugby for five years, expiring in 2015, which has a conference format to it.

“If you don’t have that, you don’t have the format we sold the broadcasters and commercial partners until 2015.”

This follows the SA Rugby Union’s (SARU) decision at the end of January to include the Southern Kings in the 2013 Super Rugby season while the future of the current SA franchises was left hanging in limbo.

Earlier this month it was reported that the current five teams - the Stormers, Bulls, Lions, Cheetahs and Sharks - sent a letter to SARU threatening to boycott the 2013 season if any of the five were excluded from the competition.

SARU, however, refuted the reports, with the national rugby body’s chief executive, Jurie Roux, setting the record straight.

"No threat of a boycott was made," Roux said at the time.

"But the franchises have made it plain that the only option to them is the expansion of Vodacom Super Rugby.

"They also pledged their support for the Kings' inclusion in 2013 as well as for SARU's efforts to persuade SANZAR to include a sixth South African franchise."

Peters said any threat of a boycott by teams would be fruitless as they had agreed to the current format.

“The threat of boycott has been rebutted by Jurie Roux as the CEO of SARU," Peters said.

"The franchises are bound by terms of a joint venture contract and broadcasting contracts around the world, so the threat of a boycott is hollow."

The SANZAR boss said the option of expanding the competition had been investigated and found not to be viable.

“We have looked at the 16 team option in the past and within our current format it just doesn’t work," he said.

"It would be a big ask to move away from what we have sold to our broadcasters and commercial partners for five years.

“Remember we are only just about to start year two of that new format.

"That is the position and we have considered and had a look at various options to try and fit 16 teams in and they simply don’t work.”

It has also been reported that SARU would have the backing of South Africa’s broadcaster rights holder, SuperSport, in its negotiations for expansion which would give it some bargaining power.

Peters, however, said it was not as simple as that as there were a number of factors that would determine whether South Africa could be successful in their lobbying down the line.

“That is one of the major factors, obviously, the amount of money that the broadcasters across the three territories fund the game.

"They are key stakeholders and this is something the Kings have asked before.

“It is not just SuperSport, it is Fox Sport in Australia and Sky TV in New Zealand, and commercial partners Vodacom, FxPro and Investec who are naming rights sponsors of the competition.

“Plus the franchises, who now have built a commercial model on having eight home games every year, so obviously that needs to be factored in as well.”

Peters said the issue would again be addressed at a SANZAR meeting in Sydney in March.
Old March 10th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #14
Diggerdog

Daylight FREAKIN ROBBERY!

Fuck SAKES, add Keith Brown to the list of worlds worst refs, only Bryce is on there at the moment.

The Cheetahs won that game everywhere except in that refs mind. I am so mad about this, these fucking inept twats are making a joke out of our beautiful game. And nothing is ever done about it!
The scrum penalties were laughable, but the last penalty - wtf!?

Man, I need a drink already!
Old March 17th, 2012, 08:48 AM   #15
Diggerdog

STORMERS! Top of the log, let's keep it that way boys!
Old March 19th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #16
Diggerdog

...and as an avid Stormers supporter, I have no problem admitting that the CHEETAHS play the most exciting rugby in the whole competition. Actually, they did last year as well.
I love the way they run it from anywhere - they really play the way their name sounds.

Yesterday the scores were tied when the siren went, they were deep in their own half under pressure.
They got the ball, most sides would have kicked it out and taken the draw.
But they went through 14 phases or more and scored a thriller of a try.
Respect!
Old March 19th, 2012, 03:02 AM   #17
Marsupalami

Likes (Received): 75

I was at the match in Melboune, and man was it great to be the only dude in the stands with my Bok jersey and saffa scarf going ballistic!! The try was right under my nose! even my kiwi mate was cheering for melbourne lol. there was a stunned silence after the try, and the stadium was empty by the time the cheetahs converted the try coz the peeps were in such distress at what they had seen. i feel bad for melbourne, they are a new franchise, and struggling like no other Aussie state to find a home for super-rugby in a season where Aussie rules completely and utterly dominates life here in Melbourne. The rebels fans are passionate, buut after 3 losses, are they going to waste $50 a tickets for much longer, James O'Connor regardless. PS - I hate that dude lol
Old March 19th, 2012, 07:06 AM   #18
SpringBokBoi
Innocence=happiness

I was there aswell cheering 4 tha cheetahs. Not a great game but still worth the money. The last try was great and it was right in front of me. All in all goodnite out
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for you are with me"
Pslam 23:4
"It's a Nu DAY, Its A NU Dawn, Its a NEw Life 4 mE"
The RainBow Continent
SpringBokBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #19
Inertia
Bloody Agent

Likes (Received): 50

Do you guys live in Australia?
Inertia está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #20
SpringBokBoi
Innocence=happiness

Yeh im a student in Melbourne at the moment
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for you are with me"
Pslam 23:4
"It's a Nu DAY, Its A NU Dawn, Its a NEw Life 4 mE"
The RainBow Continent
SpringBokBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote