daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties » Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 10th, 2012, 06:29 AM   #121
G Tom

Likes (Received): 0

How did it come to be in the first place? Is this some big cover up?

Do they really have zombies inside? Is that why the building is black? What are the conspirators really hiding?
G Tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 17th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #122
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 413

A couple pics I took on Monday

image hosted on flickr

tampa3 055 by TampaMike2, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

tampa3 054 by TampaMike2, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

tampa3 052 by TampaMike2, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

tampa3 050 by TampaMike2, on Flickr
Old February 17th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #123
smiley

Likes (Received): 103

image hosted on flickr

tampa3 050 by TampaMike2, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

That is awesome. Kill a whole block of Florida - for the rest of my lifetime, that block will be dead. Thanks Pam.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #124
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 643

What a ******* joke.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #125
kmthurman

Likes (Received): 65

Going to be a pain in the ass and ask why everyone hates it so much ... I mean it's not a nice design and low density. But it's not classrooms in the traditional sense and it's more inviting than the parking lots that surround it (when they get rid of the damn barracades that block the street regularly). So what is the backstory that pisses everyone off so much?
kmthurman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #126
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 232

It's because they took prime land in the city center and turned it into that.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 01:24 AM   #127
Jasonhouse

Hey, maybe they can project a live stream of medical procedures being performed on that massive movie screen... err... I mean wall... they erected.

If only they had set back the FL Ave side of the building back like they did on the Franklin side, at least the city could hold an epic butts up tournament ever year.
Old February 18th, 2012, 03:18 AM   #128
TampaGuy

Likes (Received): 37

I really like the building and its design, but the location and street interaction is terrible. But maybe there will be a positive in this, maybe it will spur more development.. idk.

But what's here is here.
Old February 18th, 2012, 03:29 AM   #129
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Exactly TampaGuy. Location and street interaction absolutely sucks with this building. I can stick and say there is likely not that much street interaction because almost all of the space in the building is already filled up, but then you say they should had added another floor if that was the case.

I have no doubt this will encourage more development, but the land around it is pretty much taken up. You got the parking garage to the north, some space to the west but then you have one of the ramps to Selmon, the Selmon to the south, and then the Trammel Crow office/hotel project to the east. So I think that is why many are pushing for retail to be a big part of that project, because the employees at CAMLS obviously need retail options and the Trammell Crow is the only true site to make that happen.
Old February 18th, 2012, 04:33 AM   #130
smiley

Because even if you build a 30 story hotel across the street - every time someone walks out the front door of the hotel onto Florida they are going to be staring at essentially a blank cement wall. This is downtown taking up a block. There should have at least been a real door.
I contain multitudes.

Old February 18th, 2012, 05:19 AM   #131
Jasonhouse

Imagine if the CAMLS facade along Franklin had 3-5 storefronts, and what's presently on the Franklin side, was instead on the Florida side. Then the building itself might have value to the community, not just what's occurring inside.
Old February 18th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #132
kmthurman

Likes (Received): 65

Yeah that's a really good point. Plus USF could have made some money with some retail to cover JD alexander vendetta In all seriousness the cement wall side of the building is embarrassing and a failure for them and the community. I just asked because people seem to refere "how the deal got done" but everyone is right about it being a dead block -- which is why what goes around it is important.

The one thing to remember about CMLS -- is that the employees are only one piece. Most of it will be 3 week classes of Doctors from all over coming to do training there. It's why a hotel is going in across the street. The building design is crap it's why Southgate has to be considerably better than currently envisioned. But they don't have a finished design based on what I have heard so hopefully that can change. Porbably not, but it's worth trying.

Those garages won't be there forever either ... so changing the CMLS pattern is important.
kmthurman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #133
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Funny how much of a mammoth concrete eyesore the Ft. Brooke Garage is, yet they still managed to fit retail on the ground floor. Yet it was like pulling tooth for the city council to add retail on the Port Authority Parking Garage and nothing happened.

For CAMLS though, there isn't much we can do now. It's there and it's not complaining about it will convince USF to bulldoze the thing and start all over when it hasn't even opened yet. I still feel like saying, "Maybe the city will get it right next time", but it feels like I've been saying that for a while.

Off Topic though: I was checking the Hillsborough County Property Appraiser site two days ago and noticed that Ferman had recently purchased lot north of Whting between Florida and Morgan. First thing that came to mind was something crazy like a two story car dealership on that site. But i wonder what they're up to buying that site.
Old February 19th, 2012, 03:04 AM   #134
G Tom

Likes (Received): 0

I have to admit, it does seem quite selfish of USF to not use their money to build and pay taxes for retail space that serves no purpose or need of theirs. I mean, just passing up on the lost revenue! Just look how much profit the retail space at every condo built in Tampa brought in immediately! The tenants at Channelside make so much money, that they have to take turns shutting down their businesses, presumably to count all the dough.

You guys are nuts. This is not reality. The only people that walk by there are already drunk, walking to the lightning game, or pushing a grocery cart. Florida Ave is not a pedestrian friendly road. That part of Florida is a race track everyday. If you want a park, go to a park. There are many downtown. If you want to sit on a bench, go to CAMELS. All of the benches in the parks are occupied.

And honestly, have you guys seen it at night? The lights inside make for a far more interesting look than any of the other buildings in the area. If you guys had any real clue about architecture, you would pick on the real disasters of late, like the history museum, childrens museum, and, gasp! The art museum. Those types of buildings belong to the community, and should be architectural gems, but they fall WAY short. This is a private business. They owe us nothing. Leave them alone.
G Tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 03:28 AM   #135
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

You dislike the Art Museum? I actually like the new museum. Compared to what it was before, a major improvement. Glazer's Children Museum, not so much. History Center is alright, although you pretty much have a blank wall facing much of Channelside.

And you know what really would slow down traffic down there? Retail! Add the foot traffic and people constantly crossing the streets, then people will slow down. I never have a trouble crossing Florida Ave. down there though. It's more of people coming off the Selmon and racing down Brorein, that's a hellhole all in it's own.
Old February 19th, 2012, 03:49 AM   #136
smiley

G Tom - I'll ignore most of your rambling, as it is either silly or subjective. But this: "This is a private business." - umm, it is a state university facility on land given by the city.
I contain multitudes.

Old February 19th, 2012, 03:59 AM   #137
Jasonhouse

I'm not talking about putting retail on the Fl side anyways, I'm talking about on Franklin, next to the damn streetcar station. You know, where it should have been mandatory in the first place. The city owned the land for crying out loud.
Old February 20th, 2012, 12:27 AM   #138
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Tom View Post
I have to admit, it does seem quite selfish of USF to not use their money to build and pay taxes for retail space that serves no purpose or need of theirs. I mean, just passing up on the lost revenue! Just look how much profit the retail space at every condo built in Tampa brought in immediately! The tenants at Channelside make so much money, that they have to take turns shutting down their businesses, presumably to count all the dough.

You guys are nuts. This is not reality. The only people that walk by there are already drunk, walking to the lightning game, or pushing a grocery cart. Florida Ave is not a pedestrian friendly road. That part of Florida is a race track everyday. If you want a park, go to a park. There are many downtown. If you want to sit on a bench, go to CAMELS. All of the benches in the parks are occupied.

And honestly, have you guys seen it at night? The lights inside make for a far more interesting look than any of the other buildings in the area. If you guys had any real clue about architecture, you would pick on the real disasters of late, like the history museum, childrens museum, and, gasp! The art museum. Those types of buildings belong to the community, and should be architectural gems, but they fall WAY short. This is a private business. They owe us nothing. Leave them alone.
You are funny, the museums you criticize are the best things built in downtown since the 80's. Then there are the points mentioned already.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:32 AM   #139
Del Mayberry

Likes (Received): 131

Curtis Hixon Hall was no beauty either.
Del Mayberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:47 AM   #140
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Mayberry View Post
Curtis Hixon Hall was no beauty either.
Cutis Hixon Hall was a spaceship. I'm happy with what exists now where the hall used to be.