daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Old February 19th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #601
testdrive

Likes (Received): 121

I don't know who Stephen Smith is but I think all Melemour was trying to do is find a source that would back up what they said on the TV. That said it looks like I may have jumped the gun cuz now King5 says this:
http://www.king5.com/video?id=139562608&sec=549037
I learned a lesson today
testdrive no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 19th, 2012, 02:01 AM   #602
xyagentguy

Likes (Received): 7

Is it my understanding that the whole thought out and structured process for this arena is meant to put in on the lightening fast track to approval? They want this done NOW, right?
xyagentguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 02:21 AM   #603
testdrive

Likes (Received): 121

You are going to get people who are going to try to derail it as is the case in the paper today http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._arena18m.html
The bit in the story about the e-mail being pvt and not representing the Mariners feelings, if one were a bit jaded, seems not very plausable. I only say that because from the get go people are taught that e-mails should never be considered pvt. and in her position she should know that and if she doesn't they ought to be looking for a new director of that dept. Even if it was an informal survey if you put it out there it risks becoming public so I wonder if it was a way to send a message about the Mariners true feelings. Pure speculation on my part.
I understand the traffic issue, so it will interesting to see how the city/county will respond if road upgrades will be necessary. I wonder about the concern about road closures due to the tunnel construction being an issue. He said that will be a 2 year closure and to me it seems it will take that long to build an arena making that a moot point. I don' think there will ever be a better offer than this. Hansen is putting up $290 million of his own money no one elses's, and if the city doesn't do everything in its power to make it happen that IMO will seal his political future.

Last edited by testdrive; February 19th, 2012 at 02:42 AM.
testdrive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 03:16 AM   #604
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities
I wonder what will they name this new sport arena? Amazon Center? Starbucks Center?
There is no way in HELL it will EVER be named after Starbucks. That bridge was burned beyond repair. I still despise Howard Schultz.

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.
http://www.sonicsgate.org/
Seattlelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #605
AzChristopher

Likes (Received): 10

Traffic is such a lame excuse. There is not a lot of overlap between the MLB and NHL/NBA seasons. And an actual good baseball team that had fans show up would cause more traffic than adding 15 to 20k more people to an area that has been designed to handle sports traffic.

And Key Arena, really? That lady comes off as an idiot.
AzChristopher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #606
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyagentguy View Post
Is it my understanding that the whole thought out and structured process for this arena is meant to put in on the lightening fast track to approval? They want this done NOW, right?
I haven't read about any timeline, or a lot of what's out there. But from a napkin perspective, the land aq / EIS / design / financing / civic will stuff might be compressed into a couple years.

There's no such things as a "lightening fast track" for a contentious public topic like this in Seattle. Much of what can be sped up can also be forced back to normal speed by lawsuits and politics.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #607
LCIII

Likes (Received): 607

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzChristopher View Post
Traffic is such a lame excuse. There is not a lot of overlap between the MLB and NHL/NBA seasons. And an actual good baseball team that had fans show up would cause more traffic than adding 15 to 20k more people to an area that has been designed to handle sports traffic.

And Key Arena, really? That lady comes off as an idiot.
Agreed. And her email conflicts with the public statement made by the Mariners in support of the arena project. With any luck this will cost her her job...
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 12:54 AM   #608
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 926

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCIII View Post
Agreed. And her email conflicts with the public statement made by the Mariners in support of the arena project. With any luck this will cost her her job...
Isn't losing a job a tad severe? She misused email she doesn't own, a warning or probation would be appropriate, termination would only be warranted if there were a pattern of misuse.
Old February 20th, 2012, 03:24 AM   #609
LCIII

Stupidity should be stamped out immediately. Fire one employee over this and the rest will have learned a very valuable lesson.
Old February 20th, 2012, 03:29 AM   #610
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 926

My partner is a successful IT Director. He finds your position irresponsible.
Old February 20th, 2012, 03:30 AM   #611
LCIII

...um ok...haha
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:56 AM   #612
JiminyCricket

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Stupidity should be stamped out immediately. Fire one employee over this and the rest will have learned a very valuable lesson.
Lucky for the rest of us that your dictator management practices don't work out very well for the manager, in every single case that it has ever been implemented.
JiminyCricket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 05:02 AM   #613
LCIII

Actually not true at all. But I suppose it is lucky for those guilty of stupidity in the workplace...
Old February 20th, 2012, 05:05 AM   #614
JiminyCricket

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Actually not true at all. But I suppose it is lucky for those guilty of stupidity in the workplace...
sorry, I meant in America. In China I hear it works quite well.
JiminyCricket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 05:48 AM   #615
LCIII

Still not true...but this isn't an apropriate conversation for this thread given how off topic it is. Feel free to pm me if it's that important to you.
Old February 20th, 2012, 07:43 AM   #616
mlemour

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminyCricket View Post
Did you seriously just use Stephen A. Smith as a credible source?

Astonishing.
Considering when he is not on 1050 AM in New York and 710 ESPN Los Angeles on the same day, he is in the NBA office pretty much every working day. He knows people and they give him information. I know that is hard to take but if your in the NBA office everyday, you would get inside information from people too. Plus Michael Jordan is one of his friends. Sometimes Jordan might give him some info.

I don't know what Chris Broussard does or how he gets his info. Or Mark Stein!

Indeed!
mlemour no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #617
LCIII

Let's try to stick to quotable, traceable sources instead of all your "so-and-so knows so-and-so and he said (blank)"...it's getting us nowhere because it can't possibly all be true.
Old February 20th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #618
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 173

Very good article about the arena sich'-'iation:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._arena19m.html

Still hoping for it to come to fruition.
Old February 20th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #619
SJM

Likes (Received): 46

So in taking some notions from the amazon thread, I think nbbj should design the arena. They did design the iconic staples center.
SJM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 12:05 AM   #620
mlemour

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Let's try to stick to quotable, traceable sources instead of all your "so-and-so knows so-and-so and he said (blank)"...it's getting us nowhere because it can't possibly all be true.
Un traceable you say?? I am glad you brought that up. Your trying to let me prove myself again. Well here you go....

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_...a=39140&p=3&n=

Look at 40:23

Your 2/2 in being wrong. I figured you were thinking If I were a poker player, I'd call his bluff, but this isn't poker so he's not likely to deliver. Well I delivered.
mlemour no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
seattle