daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Japan Forum 日本フォーラム > Infrastructure & Citytalk / インフラと街について語る

Infrastructure & Citytalk / インフラと街について語る Mass transit, Urban issues, Architecture etc / 公共交通機、都市問題、建築など

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 50 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 30th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #141
quashlo

Likes (Received): 2658

Recent late-night testing of the E6 series on zairaisen (conventional lines):

No date, but sometime early or mid-January.

2012.01.21:

2011.01.23:

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 30th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #142
quashlo

A news feature on the maglev Chūō Shinkansen, and how it will transform Japan. Japanese only.

Old February 1st, 2012, 12:10 AM   #143
ukiyo
モデレータ judging your posts

Likes (Received): 1819

Thanks for the videos!
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:48 AM   #144
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 126

Interesting to think what this place will be like in 2045 when the full Tokyo-Osaka route of the Linear Shinkansen is realized. I'll be almost 70!

--The zairaisen trains will all be using the latest lightweight and efficient designs
--The "regular" shinkansen trains will travel to places like Sapporo, Nagasaki, Kanazawa, Toyama, and perhaps even serve places in Shikoku, Shimane prefecture, Oita and Beppu in Kyushu.

Don't forget that other mode of travel too...
--electric cars will be the norm here (let Toyota and Nissan have their way)
--Most of the highway system in Japan should be built out by then.
--electric charging stations will be combined with parking lot operators (They're already testing this out here in Yokohama)

Should be an interesting next 30 years! Don't forget that the Tokyo-Nagoya part should open in 2023 sometime... I'll do my best to get a first ride experience posted right here (if this BBS and myself are still around )
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:07 AM   #145
quashlo

It's 2027 for the section to Nagoya.

Aside from the maglev, I'm really looking forward to the rest of the Shinkansen extensions and the variable gauge train. If they can get the technology in service on the Nagasaki Shinkansen and the concept really catches on, things could get really interesting really quick, with some of the far flung cities potentially pushing to get direct "Shinkansen" service.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:15 PM   #146
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 193

Is the Sagamihara-Kofu maglev currently on schedule to open before completion of Tokyo-Nagoya?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:28 PM   #147
quashlo

No, they abandoned the idea of an early phased opening between Kanagawa and Yamanashi:
http://www.asahi.com/national/update...109290043.html

Reasons:
No schedule slack in construction of deep tunnel sections
Train operations control system will not be ready in time
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:37 PM   #148
ukiyo
モデレータ judging your posts

Likes (Received): 1819

Gov't considers free-gauge trains for Hokuriku Shinkansen, local line in Kansai
Quote:
The Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism Ministry is considering introducing free-gauge trains for through services between the Hokuriku Shinkansen Line and a local line to the Kansai region around Osaka, a ministry official has disclosed.

At a Feb. 1 meeting of an experts' panel, an official said that the ministry is considering using trains with variable gauge axels to connect services between the Hokuriku Shinkansen Line and a local line into the Kansai region to enhance convenience and to increase the lines' profitability.

Since the gauges of superexpress lines and local lines are different, free-gauge trains are indispensable for through services between the two types of lines. Shinkansen lines use the standard gauge of 1,435 millimeters while a narrow gauge of 1,067 millimeters is used for local tracks.

Late last year, the national government gave the green light for the construction of the planned Hokuriku Shinkansen Line section between Kanazawa in Ishikawa Prefecture and Tsuruga in Fukui Prefecture.

However, the construction of the Kanazawa-Tsuruga superexpress line is estimated to cost 1.13 trillion yen and the maintenance of free-gauge trains is expected to cost more than ordinary trains, posing a challenge to West Japan Railway Co. (JR West), the operator of the line.

Superexpress trains are currently in service on the Tokyo-Nagano section of the Hokuriku Shinkansen Line, which is nicknamed the "Nagano Shinkansen." Services on the line's Nagano-Kanazawa section are expected to begin in fiscal 2014, and the Kanazawa-Tsuruga section is expected to be completed by fiscal 2025, offering direct train services between Tokyo and Tsuruga. "Thunderbird" limited express trains are currently operated between Osaka and the Hokuriku region via the JR Kosei and Hokuriku lines.

Even though the government plans to eventually extend the Hokuriku Shinkansen Line all the way to the Kansai region around Osaka, its route between Tsuruga and Kansai has not been determined yet. Also due to a shortage of financial resources, it remains to be seen whether and when work will start on the remaining section of the line.

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/natio...na014000c.html
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:45 PM   #149
chornedsnorkack

So, the wheeled Shinkansen opening due dates are as follows:
Nagano-Toyama-Kanazawa - 2014
Kanazawa-Fukui-Tsuruga - 2025
Aomori-Hakkodate - 2015
Hakkodate-Sapporo - ?
What is the progress of Nagasaki Shinkansen?

Any other wheeled Shinkansen before 2027?
Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:36 AM   #150
quashlo

No.

Nagasaki is supposed to be 2018 or so.
Old February 8th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #151
chornedsnorkack

What is the progress of Nagasaki Shinkansen between Shin-Tosu and Takeo-Onsen?
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #152
quashlo

The only segment being worked is Takeo Onsen ‒ Isahaya, as this is the only "new" section under the current plan. The others will be on the existing Nagasaki Main Line using variable-gauge Shinkansen.

Progress is 9.6%.
http://www.pref.nagasaki.jp/shinkans...ruction_4.html
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #153
chornedsnorkack

When shall first Free Gauge Trains be ready for service?
Old February 9th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #154
loefet

Likes (Received): 71

If I'm not mistaken then they are testing the second prototype and developing the third which will be the pre-production one. No idea on when the first one will be ready for service though. Most likely when they open the Nagasaki branch of the Shinkansen network. Unless they find some alternative use for it before.
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #155
keLmikez
Safe, fast, reliable.

Likes (Received): 4

Can you post videos of these free gauge trains?
Old February 9th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #156
loefet

Likes (Received): 71

Just go to this link and look for yourself: Google video search "フリーゲージトレイン"
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #157
Momo1435
S/mileage

Likes (Received): 10928

The Shinkansen 300 series will have last run on 03/16.

To commemorate it's graduation the last set has gotten some special stickers.

The train will run some Nozomi services in February and some special services in March. On 03/16 it will run Nozomi 329 from Tokyo to Shin Osaka.

After 20 years of service it's the end of this classic trains, leaving only the 700 and the N700 on the Tokaido Shinkansen.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #158
fas235
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

good bye old shinkansen !
fas235 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #159
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Likes (Received): 2095

Tokai colors for last days of s100...

http://www.denshaotaku365.com
Sr.Horn está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #160
quashlo

Invitation-only test ride with new JR East E657 series limited express

These are the new sets to be introduced onto Jōban Line limited expresses (Super Hitachi and Fresh Hitachi) with the upcoming schedule changes in two weeks (2012.03.17). When the schedule changes enter effect, about 40 percent of these limited express runs (20 of 30 Super Hitachi runs and 9 of 41 Fresh Hitachi runs) will be operated with the E657 series, replacing some runs currently operated by 651 series and E653 series units.

A few pics from the invitation-only test ride on 2012.02.10 between Sanuki and Mito.
Source: http://rail.hobidas.com/blog/natori/

The test ride was operated with Unit K6, which departed Hitachi’s plant in Kudamatsu, Yamaguchi (southern Japan) on 2012.01.21 and arrived in Katsuta Rolling Stock Center on 2012.01.23. This is at Sanuki.

The test ride certificates issued by JR East to participants. The trains was signed as 臨時 “Extra”.

Pamphlet advertising the new E657, distributed by JR East’s Mito Office.

LED scrolls inside the train… Looks like these are full-color. They specially programmed text just for the test ride.

Car 6

Car 5 (green car)

Green car restroom. One of the better-looking restrooms among newer rolling stock… I think the wood (laminate?) paneling really helps.

Testing the WiMAX wireless broadband inside the train

Arrival at Mito. This photo might show it best, but the livery isn’t actually white—it’s a very light pink.

Videos:

Test ride scenes at Mito (2012.02.10):

Regular revenue service only begins with the schedule changes on 2012.03.17, but the series actually began carrying revenue passengers a little earlier as part of a special run 復興フラガール号 (“Revival Hula Girl”) yesterday (2012.03.03). Scenes at Ueno:

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: