daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2012, 08:39 PM   #41
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 272

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwebb View Post
Looks quite bland like I wouldn't look at it twice but if it adds height to the skyline then happy days

Your obsessed with "SIZE", He he he he
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 1st, 2012, 08:42 PM   #42
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 314

Not sure what I'm looking at here ... is that 'Vancouver-esque' building a redesign of Metropolitan ,,, err, sorry .... No.1 Hagley Road, or is that a new build??!
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 09:37 PM   #43
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 632

Erm, its a refurb of the tower, and a new build, if that's what you mean?

ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:52 PM   #44
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecological View Post
Building's like this in prime areas cant remain as they are if nobody frigging wants them.
From what I've seen it's far from unwanted and it has a high level of occupancy. Personally I'm not keen on the makeover and after a couple of days I still think it looks like a Benidorm tower block. I'd like to see more detail but the new build in the gap between 1 and Tricorn looks interesting though.
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:59 PM   #45
sefton66

Likes (Received): 541

I think people need to reserve their judgement until more detailed plans come out, we've seen one render and its only outline, I'm sure the final tower design will look much better.
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:10 PM   #46
joshwebb

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum X View Post
Your obsessed with "SIZE", He he he he
ohh god im as bad as a woman
joshwebb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 01:08 PM   #47
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by U475 Foxtrot View Post
From what I've seen it's far from unwanted and it has a high level of occupancy. Personally I'm not keen on the makeover and after a couple of days I still think it looks like a Benidorm tower block. I'd like to see more detail but the new build in the gap between 1 and Tricorn looks interesting though.
Not saying it's unwanted.

I'm saying the owners of the building probably feel the rental yield it's currently getting is far less than what they could achieve with money ploughed into it for a different use.

We can't blame them for that and the fact they are looking to invest millions of pounds into quite a drab area should be welcomed by all in the city.

I'm sure what ever is proposed won't be passed without making sure it's right.
Ecological no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:39 AM   #48
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecological View Post
I'm sure what ever is proposed won't be passed without making sure it's right.
Well if that great big new supermarket going up over the road is anything to go by, then I wouldn't be so sure...
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 10:55 AM   #49
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
Well if that great big new supermarket going up over the road is anything to go by, then I wouldn't be so sure...
Arf!!

Forgot about that.
Ecological no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 04:57 AM   #50
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Likes (Received): 220

again, I repeat and maintain: Madin's building isn't the problem but the area around it due to poor planning and implentation.

Nope, I like this building which, to be honest has aged quite well and all it needs is a scrub. I had no idea it was so old until I saw that Harold Baim clip of Telly Savalas describing Birmingham - you can even see Fiveways roundabout without the greenery!

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #51
sefton66

Some more info and a different view

View from gatecrasher
http://www.property-magazine.eu/news...y/19883/15136/

Quote:
Henderson submits planning application for No.1 Hagley Road in Birmingham

No.1 Hagley Road (1 / 2) No. 1 Hagley Road, the 140,000 sq ft, 19 storey landmark office tower, is the latest building to benefit from regeneration plans for the Five Ways area, in Birmingham. The building’s owners, Henderson Global Investors, has submitted a planning application to ensure the building’s viable future and to develop an underutilised car parking area. Local architecture practice, Associated Architects, who masterminded the Mailbox, has developed plans to ensure the building will be an icon for a future generation.

The 1970’s tower will be transformed into a bright and modern apartment block, providing up to 182 well proportioned city centre homes. Four new penthouse floors with spectacular views will add a new skyline feature at the top.

The plans also propose the development of the extensive car parking area, which at present provides a lifeless frontage to the busy Hagley Road. Here, Henderson has proposed a new building, up to 14 storeys high, to provide up to 165,000 sq ft of either hotel or student accommodation with scope for retail and leisure uses on the ground floor.
http://www.property-magazine.eu/hend...ham-19883.html
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #52
GrAfiK_248

Likes (Received): 41

"ensure the building will be an icon for a future generation" -
GrAfiK_248 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #53
joshwebb

Looks about 60m to me
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #54
sefton66

Actually Josh...

80.5 metres + podium(?m) for tower with 4 floor extension
47 metres + podium (?m) for new 14 storey build

not sure how tall the podium is currently I'm guessing 2-3 metres
Old February 20th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #55
sefton66

looking through the design and access statement the new build is going to be one huge hotel...

Student Accommodation (sui generis) 0-450 beds
Hotel (C1) 0-525 beds

http://eplanning.birmingham.gov.uk/N...rod_DC_PLANAPP
Old February 20th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #56
joshwebb

Ohh I thought the new build was taller?
Old February 20th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #57
sefton66

Nope max of 14 storeys which will be 47m from the top of the podium, not sure how tall the podium is though

The tower will be 80.5m with the max 4 floor extension, again from the top of the podium
Old February 20th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #58
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
looking through the design and access statement the new build is going to be one huge hotel...

Student Accommodation (sui generis) 0-450 beds
Hotel (C1) 0-525 beds

http://eplanning.birmingham.gov.uk/N...rod_DC_PLANAPP
More likely it'll be student flats than a massive hotel. They're just seeing what they can get away with on site at the moment, though.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #59
sefton66

totally agree I was more shocked at the number of rooms, for what looks like will be a small building really, I thought it would have had 250-300
Old February 21st, 2012, 09:33 AM   #60
Spread
Brummie & Proud

Likes (Received): 111

http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/westm...-_Daily_E-mail

No.1 Hagley Road to be converted into flats

21st February 2012

HENDERSON Global Investors is planning to redevelop its 140,000 sq ft No 1 Hagley Road office tower in Birmingham into an apartment block.

And a new 165,000 sq ft building is planned on the site of the building’s current car park, possibly to be used as a hotel.

The 19 storey No.1 Hagley Road building in the Five Ways area has been an office building since it was built in the 1970s and its current tenants include transport company National Express.

But it seems its owners foresee better prospects from a different usage of the site which fronts Five Way Island at the the top of Broad Street. Henderson has submitted a planning application to convert the building into an apartment block, providing up to 182 flats. Four new penthouse floors will add a new skyline feature at the top.

The plans also propose the development of the car parking area, which at present fronts the Hagley Road. Henderson has proposed a new building, up to 14 storeys high, to provide up to 165,000 sq ft of either hotel or student accommodation with scope for retail and leisure uses on the ground floor.
Local architecture practice, Associated Architects has worked up plans for the scheme.

Martin Payne, fund manager at Henderson Global Investors, said: “Although No.1 Hagley Road continues to provide economical office accommodation for current and potential tenants through a flexible leasing structure, we are aware of the changing needs of the business community and the local area. We want to ensure that the building will continue to be utilised to its best potential for many years to come.

“The proposals will not only give a viable long-term use to the building, but also generate the ability to greatly enhance the external appearance of this major landmark which sits in one of the key gateways to the city centre.”
Spread no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: