daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 9th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #1181
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 253

You couldn't get a blanker glass box. Each is the laziest architecture of its day, but if anything I think I slightly prefer what's there now.
Officer Dibble no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old February 9th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #1182
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 1803

This cant even be called architecture.
Old February 9th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #1183
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 321

Yeah it's ugly isn't it.

It's a very weird area the one between Cannon Street/St Paul's Church Yard and Queen Victoria Street. The whole area needs to be redeveloped, the same goes for the area between the Thames and Queen Victoria Street. Random blocks of very low quality placed here and there and blank walls at street level.
Mr Bricks está en línea ahora  
Old February 10th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #1184
delores

Likes (Received): 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
This cant even be called architecture.
It's just a bland re clad very disappointing considering it's location.
delores no está en línea  
Old February 10th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #1185
potto

Likes (Received): 1801

its environment is far worse than its cladding
potto está en línea ahora  
Old February 11th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #1186
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 1953

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Nurse* View Post
Well it would certainly be an improvement, but a bit out of keeping.

(Photo rights reserved by Google and DBK)

God that's shit. Did they do a whip round for their budget? I bet Sandra from IT now owns 50 percent of the lobby, and Dave from Accounts all the chairs.

Last edited by the spliff fairy; February 21st, 2012 at 12:12 PM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #1187
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 176

This may be a disappointing renovation architecturally and urbanistically, but is par for the course in the City. Images on the web show the building from the Cannon Street side, which looks better than when looking from Queen Victoria Street, but overall its simply a reclad of the existing structural frame where the floor plates now extend past the columns, so probably some very valuable square footage has been added to the net floor area. What I feel is a pity is the poor handling of the south end of the building which makes no effort to fit with the street lines, or to make a feature of the SW corner which could add some interest to the form and urban fit of the building into the cityscape. That said, it is no worse than what was currently existing. Its also unfortunate that there was no effort to articulate the Friday Street facade, its just a bland facade tyoical of cornflake box architecture of the 1950s and 60s. However, given its location, I'm sure it will make its forecast revenues, and will probably be reclad in 20-30 years time. What could have been very interesting is if the building was redesigned to fit with and extend the design style and facades of the adjacent former Credit Lyonnais building. Perhaps next time.
Black Cat no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2012, 07:27 PM   #1188
london lad

Likes (Received): 474

Like most of the projects in the City the last 18+ months this is another example of a not to bad building proposed in the mid 2000's being replaced with something cheaper and blander.

This is what was previously proposed.
http://www.tpbennett.com/portfolio/project_profile/10

This started almost a year ago now so should almost be done now.

Not sure what all the fuss is though, considering the site, certainly better than what is there now.
london lad está en línea ahora  
Old February 12th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #1189
delores

Likes (Received): 171

Well the planners should insist on having the old design although not great this is just bland rubbish.
delores no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #1190
london lad

Likes (Received): 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by delores View Post
Well the planners should insist on having the old design although not great this is just bland rubbish.
Well that's the trouble, the chief planners approved this without any trouble which is why it's nearly built now.
The five/six years when they felt threatened by canary wharf and pushed for something a bit different that gave us the current crop of towers, one new Change and the original walbrook has long passed and now it's back to this and dull stone framed office blocks.
london lad está en línea ahora  
Old February 20th, 2012, 08:30 AM   #1191
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 5743

Blackfriars Station re-opens today after 3 years of construction work.
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #1192
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 882

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
Blackfriars Station re-opens today after 3 years of construction work.
Posted the link to an article and some photos in the Transport thread here.

It's looking good.
ill tonkso no está en línea  
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:08 AM   #1193
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 336

Travelled through Blackfriars on the District today - slightly strange that it now stops there. Nice to see it finally open, clean, well lit and spacious, having witnessed the slow transformation over the months and years. Can't for the life of me remember what the underground station was like before though, or maybe I never saw it before it was closed.
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:07 AM   #1194
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 822

It was a typically rundown District Line station. I find them somewhat charming, though I'm sure the new station's a huge improvement.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper
Langur no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #1195
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1628

Richard Rogers: Build as high as possible
6 March 2012
By David Rogers

Richard Rogers has said tall buldings should be built as high as possible because towers at 40 or 60 storeys are virtually indistinguishable from each other.
DarJoLe no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #1196
potto

at last someone in the industry has talked some sense
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #1197
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 882

As much as I respect rodgers, I would hardly say 40 floors and 60 floors is indistinguishable. That's a 50% increase in height.

However, 60 floors can make more economic sense than 40 if you get your lift and core configuration right. Especially with the housing market. London needs more mid wealth hi rise, it all seems to be either council housing or 'luxury'. Building tall could be the solution to the lack of family sized homes, particularly with the massive Public Transport boost the Isle of Dogs is about to get. You could even turn Mudchute into a proper city park. Then there is Nine Elms...

(Though my ideal solution would be to shift some of the demand up North, Brum and Manc have plenty of room and transport capacity)

Last edited by ill tonkso; March 6th, 2012 at 09:52 PM.
ill tonkso no está en línea  
Old March 7th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #1198
potto

Do we really notice the difference between a 3 or 4 story building, no, yet that is a 25% difference. Or the Burj Dubai, it is tall yes, I have to stretch my neck up and because it is taller than the rest when I view it from a mile away, but 100 or 200 or 300 floors? Who knows.

Such differences are indistinguishable in terms of dominance and environmental impact, but these are the key fears that drives the hysteria to chop arbitrary bits off things in this country.

A cathedral here, a tower block there the landscape is littered with structures that appear tall, I doubt if 1% could accurately describe heights in terms of metres or floor count. Someone recalled in another thread that their friend thought 1 Canada Sq was taller than the Shard.

What people do perceive however is elegance, the height/width ratio. It is natural ingrained part of the human psyche, maybe to do with identifying other humans.

He is certainly commenting on the planning systems bizarre desire to knock off 8 floors here and 20 metres there on an already tall building. Meaningless nonsense in terms of urban-scape impact, unless it hits the magic height not to appear from certain viewpoints granted.

Yet this is what the planning system seems to obsess about for each and every application, maybe it is time for clearer and logical guidelines for councillors and the public about the aesthetics and impacts of tall buildings?

With the current level of height micro-management it is merely pandering to pointless fears (assuming the site has been allocated as suitable for tall buildings) to the detriment of the architects ability to extract an attractively proportioned tall building out of the financial constraints of the site.

How that can be useful or positive I don't know.

Last edited by potto; March 7th, 2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old March 7th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #1199
larven

Likes (Received): 679

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill tonkso View Post
As much as I respect rodgers, I would hardly say 40 floors and 60 floors is indistinguishable. That's a 50% increase in height.
If you build enough of them they become virtually indistinguishable.

Years ago HK was building 40 storey residential towers and that has slowly creeped up to the current position where towers of 50, 60 and even 70 storey's are commonplace. Despite the significant increase in height you still perceive the city as high rise and dense whilst only a trained eye would be able to tell you (or even care) how many floors those towers have from a glance. Most people probably wouldn't give the number of floors a second though and merely register a 40 or 60 storey tower as a 'tall building'.
larven está en línea ahora  
Old March 7th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #1200
potto

even an isolated 40 - 50 - 60 story building will have the same light/shadow impact and a perception of dominance yet the taller one may appear more aesthetically attractive.

Closed Thread

Tags
development summary, london

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: