daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 20th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #1521
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 232

So it would have run down Lombard St?
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 20th, 2012, 03:47 AM   #1522
Paddington

Likes (Received): 817

Crookedest Freeway.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 10:07 AM   #1523
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 4527

The Golden Gate Bridge already carries 105,000 vehicles per day on six lanes, so there's not much spare capacity.

Traffic volumes on urban arterials in San Francisco are extremely high, for instance Highway 1 (Park Presidio Blvd & 19th Avenue) carry 60,000 -100,000 vehicles per day. They basically function as at-grade freeways.

my clinched highways • highway pictures @ Flickr and Youtube
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #1524
jchernin

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
I'm sure it opened up some scenic views for people in the city, but there's no good way to get from SFO to the Northern suburbs.

I live in the North Bay (the Bay Area's northern suburbs). To get to SFO, there are no North-South freeways in SF so that is indeed the best route. Because of the difficulty of getting to SFO, many fly out of Oakland instead. Personally, I don't mind the surface streets, but the high-traffic volumes mean statistically many more pedestrians are injured or killed along these streets (especially Highway 1 Park Presidio Blvd/19 Ave and Highway 101 Van Ness Ave).

They started to study building underground freeways at both of these locations, but with SF saturated with so many NIMBYs, the project didn't get very far. (http://www.tollroadsnews.com/node/2635) Although I always thought it would make a lot of sense. Driving along 19th Ave and seeing the HOMES along the side I wonder who would pay over half a million for one of these?

Here's another resource on the Golden Gate Freeway (http://www.kriske.com/highway/480/index.html) which would've connected the Bay and Golden Gate Bridges.
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #1525
I-275westcoastfl

I hear driving in SF is worse than NYC.
Old February 20th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #1526
tradephoric

Likes (Received): 15

Here's a video of a drive down 19th Ave in San Francisco. This was taken at 2 PM on a Wednesday and it took the driver 25 minutes to drive 6.3 miles from Alemany Blvd (14:49:00) to entering the tunnel as you approach the Golden Gate Bridge (15:14:15).

According to INRIX San Francisco has some of the highest congested freeways in America (in 2006 San Fran was ranked as the 4th most congestion city even though they are only the 13th most populous metro).

To sum up...
San Francicso freeway congestion sucks....
San Francicso surface street congestion sucks...
tradephoric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #1527
I-275westcoastfl

Yeah it looks bad, but thats what happens when you have a decent amount of people driving in an area of population in a city that lacks freeways. In my part of the county it takes 30 mins to do about 10 miles at around the same time and we are way less urban than SF. But we also lack freeways and get stuck at long traffic signals.
Old February 21st, 2012, 01:06 AM   #1528
Paddington

Likes (Received): 817

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradephoric View Post
Here's a video of a drive down 19th Ave in San Francisco. This was taken at 2 PM on a Wednesday and it took the driver 25 minutes to drive 6.3 miles from Alemany Blvd (14:49:00) to entering the tunnel as you approach the Golden Gate Bridge (15:14:15).

According to INRIX San Francisco has some of the highest congested freeways in America (in 2006 San Fran was ranked as the 4th most congestion city even though they are only the 13th most populous metro).

To sum up...
Wow, what a mess. You think it might be better to go up the eastern side of San Francisco, take the Bay Bridge over, then take the other bridge that's further up north back over to the Northern suburbs?
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 01:10 AM   #1529
Xusein
Xornimo

Likes (Received): 3452

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
I hear driving in SF is worse than NYC.
I think that has to do with the fact that SF only has two bridges so unless you come from the south, you don't have much choice. Although Manhattan is an island, there are several bridges and tunnels so you have alternatives.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 02:03 AM   #1530
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
I think that has to do with the fact that SF only has two bridges so unless you come from the south, you don't have much choice. Although Manhattan is an island, there are several bridges and tunnels so you have alternatives.
Yeah I know NYC has way more people but it goes to show you that having a proper road network is key to moving people. I know from experience getting out of Manhattan is easy but the lack of options to go east on Long Island where you have I-495 or I-278 thats where the congestion starts.
Old February 21st, 2012, 02:56 AM   #1531
Tommy Boy
MEGATALLS for AMERICA

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradephoric View Post

To sum up...

VERY nice video, but I don't understand why it is'nt a median barrier in the middle. It seems kind of dangerous that 3 lanes on each direction but no median barrier.

Build another Golden Gate bridge a twin sister that has also communiter rails on That would have been very nice.

Golden Gate is very majestic bridge just beautiful
Tommy Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 02:57 AM   #1532
Tommy Boy
MEGATALLS for AMERICA

Likes (Received): 6

I meant on the bridge with the median barrier or middle barrier. Nothing else
Tommy Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 04:20 AM   #1533
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
I meant on the bridge with the median barrier or middle barrier. Nothing else
Many of the lanes on the bridge are reversible.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:01 AM   #1534
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Wow, what a mess. You think it might be better to go up the eastern side of San Francisco, take the Bay Bridge over, then take the other bridge that's further up north back over to the Northern suburbs?
It's possible, but depending on destination and origin it's a 12 - 20 mile detour and I-80 is not devoid of congestion either. Plus you have to pay more tolls (2 times instead of 1 time on a return trip).

Old February 21st, 2012, 08:51 PM   #1535
Xusein
Xornimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Yeah I know NYC has way more people but it goes to show you that having a proper road network is key to moving people. I know from experience getting out of Manhattan is easy but the lack of options to go east on Long Island where you have I-495 or I-278 thats where the congestion starts.
Long Island is pretty much a cul-de-sac but the options are better for those in other parts of the Tri-State.
Old February 21st, 2012, 09:00 PM   #1536
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are numerous expressways and parkways for intra-Long Island traffic. Getting off Long Island, especially to Connecticut or New Jersey is the main problem. Both expensive and congested.

Old February 21st, 2012, 10:25 PM   #1537
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
Long Island is pretty much a cul-de-sac but the options are better for those in other parts of the Tri-State.
This is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
There are numerous expressways and parkways for intra-Long Island traffic. Getting off Long Island, especially to Connecticut or New Jersey is the main problem. Both expensive and congested.
Yeah but you don't leave the congestion until about the Cross Island Parkway. Driving North is easy and you get many options, going to Jersey I'll agree isn't that pleasant.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 04:50 AM   #1538
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Not to mention that there are a few ferry services that go between Long Island and Connecticut which allow you to avoid most of the traffic (even though it might not save much time).
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 04:56 AM   #1539
Xusein
Xornimo

They are used a lot but I don't believe many use them as "bypasses" of NYC. Unfortunately I don't think there ever will be a bridge between CT and LI, too expensive and NIMBY land.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:25 AM   #1540
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Maybe Penn's woods knows what this is.

A four-lane highway dead-ends in the woods of King of Prussia, PA, a suburb of Philadelphia.

Canceled highway. Here's some more info.

http://www.phillyroads.com/roads/PA-23/

"The AAR can't do a worse job than the FRA is currently doing." --Alon Levy
The FRA is easily the most incompetent regulatory agency in America. Why Republicans always focus on the EPA instead, is beyond me.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states