daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > Victoria

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:53 AM   #521
Dash 222

Likes (Received): 37

Thanks everyone!
Dash 222 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:32 AM   #522
Dockside

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
Given the current job losses occurring in the Vic economy, even if it was trending upwards it may be a struggle to maintain it. Confidence will dictate the course the market takes in this sector.
When we start lossing tens of thousands of jobs thats when you start to worry, the media have done a good job in making people think that Vic is about to be sunk.

Victoria will just diversify its economy to fill the void of lost work, its happend before and it well happen again, and usually its for the better..
Dockside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 01:52 PM   #523
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
When we start lossing tens of thousands of jobs thats when you start to worry, the media have done a good job in making people think that Vic is about to be sunk.

Victoria will just diversify its economy to fill the void of lost work, its happend before and it well happen again, and usually its for the better..
Fair points raised but as the media actually sets the tone, there is an effect on the confidence of the population. This in turn drives further issues and often more jobs lost.

I agree about diversification but it is not an overnight process.

If confidence improves there will be a far more stable market to build from. Let's hope things start to brighten up.
Old February 28th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #524
melbournee12

Likes (Received): 39

Noticed they've got petitions going at fwp in the lobby, they sent a notice round to each room telling us to sign them. Seemed to be a few signatures.
Makes me laugh, people shit me.
Old March 8th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #525
JamesinOz1

Likes (Received): 0

It appears that Melbourne may be experiencing an economic downturn. If there's an apartment glut triggering a bust in the CBD there may be many holes in the ground for up to twenty years, unfortunately. I hope they'll force developers to beautify these potential holes in the ground should a bust happen. I think Melbourne's plans for the CBD to be a forrest of skyscrapers is great, however if history is anything to go by it's possible that things could get ugly for a while...literally. I hope I'm wrong however I remember the last time this happened twenty years ago.
JamesinOz1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #526
tower_dan

Likes (Received): 126

resi towers rarely built until there is enough sales to warrant building... none fo the holes in teh ground will be there for 20 years.
tower_dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 02:33 AM   #527
Dale

Likes (Received): 1794

FYI: I was in Australia in 1991, around the time of what Aussies were considering a full-on depression.

There were a few holes in the ground in Brisbane. None that I recall in Melbourne.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 03:06 AM   #528
Qantas743
Proud Victorian!

Likes (Received): 195

If you go by the media, Victoria is facing a recession and this would no doubt have a profound impact on building activity.

Also, less jobs = less people who have money to spend on new apartments.
Old March 9th, 2012, 03:34 AM   #529
tower_dan

Likes (Received): 126

the point he made was that there would be holes in teh ground from the failed projects. and my point was that apartments have a fall safe that they wont even start until majority are sold off. so they woudnt start excavtion then stall... offices are a bit different, but nowdays post GFC office towers also have mroe locked in pre commitment before they get going.
tower_dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #530
The Collector

Likes (Received): 29

We have learned from the mistakes of the past.
Nowadays, a resi tower needs to be majority pre-sold to get finance to get up and an office tower needs to be pre-leased to get finance to get up.

If construction has started, it is highly likely (about 95%) to be completed!

You might see some vacant sites, but not holes in the ground.

http://www.thecollectormm.com.au/

I collect, therefore I am.
The Collector no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 01:50 PM   #531
Grollo
Developer

Likes (Received): 371

http://www.residentswithoutrights.com.au/index.html

Old March 31st, 2012, 02:02 PM   #532
Qantas743
Proud Victorian!

Likes (Received): 195

Oh lordy...
Old March 31st, 2012, 02:58 PM   #533
MelbourneOnTheRise
We are the 99%

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grollo View Post
Funny, I don't remember Melbourne being voted the world's most liveable city BEFORE the CBD and surrounds' urban renewal began on the back of high density apartment buildings!

It is the CBD's DENSITY of people and buildings that makes it so liveable. The ex-pat workers those livability rankings are written for are not talking about Cranbourne and Werribee when they rant and rave about how livable Melbourne is. They're talking about the CBD: skyscrapers, the metropolitan nexus of transport, employment, world-class education institutions, creativity and all. Not tumbleweeds on a farm.
Neoliberalismís single most damaging legacy is that the realization of its bleak vision (denigration of collective action and veneration of the profit motive) has isolated us enough from one another that it became possible to convince us that we are not just incapable of self-preservation but fundamentally not worth saving.

Naomi Klein
MelbourneOnTheRise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:02 AM   #534
M0ST

rant alert

but why don't FWP buy the land next door, like what that guy did in south yarra. the precedent set at VCAT (correct me if i'm wrong) was that this is not a planning issue (when one landowner compensates or contracts another landowner / body corporate not to build) so why not go down that road. no risk for schiavello (money for jam), resident's get to keep their privacy / views / sense of superiority, etc. and we get spared this ongoing hypocrisy and BS writ large. why don't the residents of FWP put their money where their mouth is ... not holding my breath mind. people complain about the nanny state, but at first sign of a negative outcome run crying to all and sundry who'll listen and start pointing the finger! dammit. and i was such a good mood after enjoying all of m12's photos too.

peace
M0ST no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:42 AM   #535
Carlton123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneOnTheRise

Funny, I don't remember Melbourne being voted the world's most liveable city BEFORE the CBD and surrounds' urban renewal began on the back of high density apartment buildings!

It is the CBD's DENSITY of people and buildings that makes it so liveable. The ex-pat workers those livability rankings are written for are not talking about Cranbourne and Werribee when they rant and rave about how livable Melbourne is. They're talking about the CBD: skyscrapers, the metropolitan nexus of transport, employment, world-class education institutions, creativity and all. Not tumbleweeds on a farm.
Actually they are taking into account Melbourne and it's suburbs as there are parts of them that are more livable than the CBD.
Carlton123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 12:10 PM   #536
motion

Likes (Received): 31

can somebody check official papers what is happening with this, apparently this is now 192m
motion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 12:34 PM   #537
MelbourneOnTheRise
We are the 99%

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton123 View Post
Actually they are taking into account Melbourne and it's suburbs as there are parts of them that are more livable than the CBD.
Actually you're making that up to suit your monopolistic agenda. Its fine for you to buy an apartment in Prima/Pearl but as soon as someone else wants to buy a similar apartment nearby, suddenly its the end of the world.
Neoliberalismís single most damaging legacy is that the realization of its bleak vision (denigration of collective action and veneration of the profit motive) has isolated us enough from one another that it became possible to convince us that we are not just incapable of self-preservation but fundamentally not worth saving.

Naomi Klein
MelbourneOnTheRise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 01:43 PM   #538
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 886

Just a quick read over that residents without rights poster ? If they say that buildings should be 24 mtrs apart........yet Freshwater Place tower is either on the boundary or close. So adjoining property can't have the same rights ?
Old April 1st, 2012, 02:31 PM   #539
Carlton123

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012
Just a quick read over that residents without rights poster ? If they say that buildings should be 24 mtrs apart........yet Freshwater Place tower is either on the boundary or close. So adjoining property can't have the same rights ?
And rightly so if habitable rooms are built near each other. It doesn't have to be about views, it could be about access to the sunlight that they bought those apartments for.
Carlton123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 03:25 PM   #540
Tyson

Likes (Received): 187

DDO38 states that there "should" be a 24 metre separation, it does not "require" 24 metres though. It mentions that developers can apply to reduce this separation if the Design Objectives are met.

Also in regards to sunlight it states that developments should ensure "adequate" solar penetration. Note that it does not say "maintain existing" solar penetration. Just what constitutes "adequate" is up for debate.

In any case trying to use the DDO38 as a case to reject the Queensbridge proposal doesn't seem like a solid argument considering the vague and unquantifiable objectives in that schedule.