daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 9th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #3161
BellevueBoy

Likes (Received): 1

So back to development news. I stumbled across a blog that posted up the whole DJC article regarding the recent sale of the Taco Time site in downtown Bellevue. Still a long ways away but always good to hear about potential future developments. That southern third of DT Bellevue could be where a lot of future residential growth will occur since the northern third has filled up during the past decade.

http://craighillteam.wordpress.com/2...of-the-day-67/
BellevueBoy no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2012, 02:52 AM   #3162
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 921

Poor Taco Time. They moved to (built?) this location after being booted from the current Bravern site. Now where will I get my mexi fries?!

I know, a ways off from now.
CityView Jim no está en línea  
Old February 11th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #3163
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 223

Kemper Freeman discuss about his properties including Lincoln Square II.

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/n...alks-shop.html
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea  
Old February 11th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #3164
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2107

Thanks for posting. It'll be interesting to see how the company changes after he's gone.
LCIII no está en línea  
Old February 11th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #3165
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 921

I'm wondering why Kemper does't go for apartment towers in Lincoln II. Imagine creating a place for shoppers to live as well as employees of the shopping district.

Just saying, a stronger mix would be better than just having wealthier condo owners.
CityView Jim no está en línea  
Old February 11th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #3166
bgwah
honk!!!

Likes (Received): 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityView Jim View Post
I'm wondering why Kemper does't go for apartment towers in Lincoln II. Imagine creating a place for shoppers to live as well as employees of the shopping district.

Just saying, a stronger mix would be better than just having wealthier condo owners.
I wouldn't be surprised if they added apartments eventually. I think it's been mentioned in plans before. I doubt retail employees could afford to live in them, though.
bgwah no está en línea  
Old February 11th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #3167
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 2711

A quote of Freeman's from the article:

“So many of us go along with what everyone else is doing – like lemmings lining up to go over the cliff. Word must get back even to the lemmings. The biggest motive for people is to do what everyone else is doing. I don’t understand it,” Freeman said.
That attitude may explain his long-standing opposition to light rail on the Eastside, which he has spent about $4 million fighting. He argues that bus rapid transit would cost half as much as light rail and have three times the ridership and could be implemented in three years. He’s debated the issue 400 times and said he will never stop opposing light rail, despite being “vilified” for filing a lawsuit over what he believes will be an illegal expenditure of highway funds on construction of the light rail project.

I guess The same argument can be made about banal suburban sprawl and shopping centers.

Capitol Hill está en línea ahora  
Old February 12th, 2012, 03:35 AM   #3168
CrazyAboutCities

Quote:

Probably because he is afraid if he build an apartment tower, it will bring "poor" people to his properties. It is one of main reasons why he doesn't want light rail in the first place.
Old February 12th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #3169
just4ivaylo

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:

Why would he? Would that benefit him and his bottom line? No, because there's no way that most of those workers will be able to afford the market price for any of those apartments. I do agree with you that it would be nice to have a stronger mix of people, but it just won't happen.
just4ivaylo no está en línea  
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #3170
BellevueBoy

With all this news about Amazon building more office space over in downtown Seattle, it'd really be great if Microsoft could do something similar in Bellevue. There's a handful of office proposals in the pipeline that are just waiting for a tenant to sign before breaking ground. Lincoln Square II and the NE 8th tower would both make sense for them since they would be located next to Microsoft's current offices.
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #3171
LCIII

Screw that- Microsoft should finally put a substantial office in downtown Seattle. It would be easier to compete with the bevy of companies that are recruiting tech talent downtown. They could be 5th and Columbia's anchor tenant and immediately have the sexiest offices in the city- maybe on the west coast even!
LCIII no está en línea  
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #3172
BellevueBoy

haha, that'd be nice too but I don't think Microsoft will ever have a big office presence in Seattle. They have a small office in SLU and had one in Pioneer Square which they vacated last year.
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:57 PM   #3173
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueBoy View Post
With all this news about Amazon building more office space over in downtown Seattle, it'd really be great if Microsoft could do something similar in Bellevue. There's a handful of office proposals in the pipeline that are just waiting for a tenant to sign before breaking ground. Lincoln Square II and the NE 8th tower would both make sense for them since they would be located next to Microsoft's current offices.
Microsoft already has a ton of office space in downtown Bellevue, I'm not sure we could expect them to do much more. Especially since their days of rapid employee growth seems to have passed.
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #3174
LCIII

Yes but Bill knows what's up. They have helped make north of downtown a hot spot with their Foundation HQs. Hopefully they'll see the recruiting advantages of being where people want to be and just finally put a substantial office here.
LCIII no está en línea  
Old February 17th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #3175
CrazyAboutCities

Few years ago, Microsoft announced that they would expand into downtown Seattle but they dropped the plan during recession. Maybe they could try again when they start to grow again.
Old February 18th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #3176
LCIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
Few years ago, Microsoft announced that they would expand into downtown Seattle but they dropped the plan during recession. Maybe they could try again when they start to grow again.
Fingers crossed!
LCIII no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #3177
InlandEmpire
Mixologist

Likes (Received): 42

With Seattle going through the 'boom' that it is, I wonder when Bellevue will join the action again. Curious what the apartment vacancy rate is downtown -
InlandEmpire no está en línea  
Old February 20th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #3178
BellevueBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandEmpire View Post
With Seattle going through the 'boom' that it is, I wonder when Bellevue will join the action again. Curious what the apartment vacancy rate is downtown -
The apartment market was overbuilt in DT Bellevue during the last boom. In the 3 year span between 2007-2010 over 2000 new units were built which is a ton for a market like Bellevue to absorb. Unfortunately I think it'll be at least a year before we see any new apartment construction in DT Bellevue.
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #3179
LCIII

There are a ton of condos left over too, right? Bellevue Towers are only 50% sold, correct?
LCIII no está en línea  
Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:44 AM   #3180
just4ivaylo

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCIII View Post
There are a ton of condos left over too, right? Bellevue Towers are only 50% sold, correct?
A little bit over 50% by now, I'd guess, but not much.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/bel...old-2012-02-01
just4ivaylo no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
stipson