daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area

Leeds Metro Area Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire

Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:26 PM   #221
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 365

No, nobody here should represent all of us. We are individual people with different opinions and should all be heard separately. The more of us complaining the better to be honest.
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:33 PM   #222
LeedsLad

Likes (Received): 15

Not sure a planning objection can be that something isn't tall enough?... Perhaps could argue it looks poor, given the large footprint combined with lack of height, or some words to that effect?

I'd be more along the lines of would like to see something more arcitecturely pleasing, being as daring as the recent Broadcasting Tower...
LeedsLad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:57 PM   #223
FreddyFresher

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeedsLad View Post
Not sure a planning objection can be that something isn't tall enough?... Perhaps could argue it looks poor, given the large footprint combined with lack of height, or some words to that effect?

I'd be more along the lines of would like to see something more arcitecturely pleasing, being as daring as the recent Broadcasting Tower...
If you were to post as one, you would have to include your real names for reasons of transparency. If anonymous, you could in theory have a vested interest. I'm sure several individual objections would be more effective.

On the design, just complain about the proportions and massing. The design looks ridiculous, its like a wall. Making the footprint smaller and its height greater could solve this.
FreddyFresher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 09:02 PM   #224
Aaronj09
Not a Registered User

Likes (Received): 973

I have already put an 'objection' on this project. I don't mind it really, but we certainly have enough poor quality grey-black-white cheap tacky crap cladding in Leeds

As LeedsLad said, I also mentioned BT
Aaronj09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #225
spacemansam

Likes (Received): 3

Having the smaller footprint would increase the green area surrounding it. This could be a nice mixture of green space and contemporary architecture. A taller more slender tower with glass/ reflective cladding to match the reflectiveness of the Leeds met uni sandstone colour building and reflecting all that surrounding green space. It would also go well with the refurbed concrete blocks. A good combination in my eyes
spacemansam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 07:05 AM   #226
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 365

I've formally made my objection to it.
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #227
Lad 2011
Loiner

Likes (Received): 445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherkin View Post
I've formally made my objection to it.
Good i hope it puts a spanner in the works
Lad 2011 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #228
LoveTheCity
LS17

Likes (Received): 59

At what email address would one use to formally object to this proposal? ;-)
LoveTheCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #229
Aaronj09
Not a Registered User

Likes (Received): 973

Click here

Register first though obviously
Aaronj09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #230
this_city

Likes (Received): 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronj09 View Post
Click here

Register first though obviously
I decided to join this party
this_city no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #231
Lad 2011
Loiner

Good, the more against it the better.

So far Gherkin, Aaronj09 & This city have sent an objection against it, did anyone else?
Old January 31st, 2012, 08:02 PM   #232
Shiny_Dave

Likes (Received): 19

Notes from the August City Centre panel on the pre-app from Downing:

Members seemed more bothered about the tree's than building itself. Also, are the two parts I've highlighted in bold completely contradictory?

Quote:
Pre-Application Presentation - Pre-App 11/00400 -Proposed Student Accommodation at Leeds Met City Campus, Calverley Street and Woodhouse Lane, Leeds pdf icon PDF 278 KB

To consider the report of the Chief Planning Officer and receive a pre-application presentation on proposals for proposed student accommodation on land at Calverley Street and Woodhouse Lane, Leeds.

This is a pre-application presentation and no decision on the development will be taken, however it is an opportunity for Panel Members to ask questions, raise issues, seek clarification and comment on the proposals at this stage. There is no opportunity for public speaking about the proposals outlined in the presentation”.

Minutes:

The Panel received a pre-application presentation on proposals for new student accommodation on land at Calverley Street and Woodhouse Lane, Leeds. The presentation afforded Members the opportunity to ask questions, raise issues, seek clarification and comment on the proposals at this stage in the application process, although no decisions were made.

Mr T Skipper and Mr D Dyson addressed the Panel on behalf of the developer. Site plans, floor plans, computer generated 3D graphics and slides showing the elevational details and levels were displayed at the meeting

The following points were highlighted during the presentation:

- The site was surrounded by sensitive buildings

- The permeability of and access to this site were key considerations which informed the appearance of the development

- Phase 1 of the development included new links from Calverley Street to Woodhouse Lane and a new pedestrian route to the site boundary. This second phase would provide a further route from the University’s Rose Bowl building, through the Phase II site and on to the University itself

- The new building was deigned to be a signature building to create another edge to the new public square included in Phase I. A terraced area was proposed to enhance the public realm, off-set from the central public square

- The site was located within that part of the city centre designated the “tall buildings” zone. Slides showing the 21 storey proposal in-situ were displayed which showed relative heights in the area and the impact of the block on key city views

- Phase II would provide active frontages through the inclusion of a student drop-in centre to Woodhouse Lane and cafes/kiosks to Calverley street at ground level

- The floor plan for subsequent levels was displayed showing the student facilities available including 1 DDA compliant room per floor and communal areas.

- Modern materials would support the linear and simple form of the block

Members noted the contents of the presentation and discussed the following points:

The proximity of the new build to the Inner Ring Road and suitable noise mitigation measures such as improved landscaping
The feeling that the terraced area would not be fully utilised and the preference for improved landscaping to that area instead
Concern that those mature trees which are scheduled for removal should be replaced with a variety of trees which will be beneficial to the whole site.
Similarly Members were keen to see a substantial compensatory landscaping scheme

RESOLVED –

a) To thank the developer for the presentation

b) That the contents of the presentation and the comments made by Members be noted
link to full minutes here
Shiny_Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 07:08 PM   #233
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 176

The two refurbished buildings are now clear of scaffolding, giving a better idea of how things will look. Some foundation works going on behind, although it appears to be associated with the existing buildings rather than having anything to do with the new 21 storey tower.

Old February 21st, 2012, 07:35 PM   #234
this_city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker
Some foundation works going on behind, although it appears to be associated with the existing buildings rather than having anything to do with the new 21 storey tower.
Yeah, seem to be tidying up the remnants of the old low rise block that they knocked down to turn into a plaza. Took some pics yesterday, will post shortly
Old February 21st, 2012, 08:44 PM   #235
this_city

Right, some pics from 20/02/2012

image hosted on flickr

Photo Stream-207 by 3chordboy, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Photo Stream-206 by 3chordboy, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Photo Stream-208 by 3chordboy, on Flickr
Old February 21st, 2012, 09:55 PM   #236
Val Verde

Likes (Received): 92

Looks good to me although I wonder how long it will take for that concrete to decay to that dull appearance it had previously?
Val Verde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:51 PM   #237
Lad 2011
Loiner

Porbably 30 years but who cares :P
Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:13 PM   #238
Immunda Leodis

Likes (Received): 107

Big improvement!!!
Immunda Leodis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:31 PM   #239
Rob
Proponent of Leeds

Likes (Received): 176

Some good photos there (Talisker's city scape photo is particularly pleasing). I have to say they really have polished up well and are a huge improvement. They certainly look better than a lot of new builds.
Rob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #240
tigerman

Likes (Received): 309

I am not so sure they look so good up close - but they look OK in these pics.

tigerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote