daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Cultural and Sporting Venues

Cultural and Sporting Venues From Football Stadiums to Opera Houses.

Old January 19th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #1
JamesWales

Likes (Received): 0

Cardiff Devils-New Arena

There has been a fair bit of talk recently about a new arena for the Cardiff Devils in Cardiff Bay. Essentially they currently play in a 2000 seat temporary arena when their city centre arena was pulled down to make way for St Davids 2.

No firm news on the size, or how multi-purpose it will be. Rumours suggest there will be 2 rinks, one for public use and one with spectator seating. It's likely to have a minimum of 4-5000 seats.

What similar rinks have been built recently that may give a clue as to what we'll end up with?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sports/...1466-25611575/
JamesWales no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 19th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #2
cinosanap
Profile of the Rising Sun

Likes (Received): 8

Was Manchester built recently? Don't know the size, though.
cinosanap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #3
ben77

Likes (Received): 30

Maybe something like the NIC nottingham

http://www.national-ice-centre.com/about/
ben77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:23 PM   #4
CorliCorso

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinosanap View Post
Was Manchester built recently? Don't know the size, though.
It opened in early 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
There has been a fair bit of talk recently about a new arena for the Cardiff Devils in Cardiff Bay. Essentially they currently play in a 2000 seat temporary arena when their city centre arena was pulled down to make way for St Davids 2.

No firm news on the size, or how multi-purpose it will be. Rumours suggest there will be 2 rinks, one for public use and one with spectator seating. It's likely to have a minimum of 4-5000 seats.

What similar rinks have been built recently that may give a clue as to what we'll end up with?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sports/...1466-25611575/
I remember hearing that the plan would be two rinks, one a 6,000 seater arena and the other a 2,000 seater one so the Devils could still play while there was an event on. But I heard that at least two years ago.

Nottingham has a similar set-up, but I don't know how much the smaller rink holds - not enough to host Panthers games, anyway.
CorliCorso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:04 AM   #5
Luke80

Likes (Received): 1

The most recent was the Manchester Phoenix's temporary rink in Altrincham. I was up there watching a game with Guildford on Sunday. I think the Cardiff one is slightly bigger though.

They were supposed to have a new rink built ready for next season but I presume the current economic climate has put that back a few years.

Been into the NIC briefly (not for a game) and yes it has 2 ice pads. The arena seats 7,500 in hockey mode and the other isn't used for games - no/very few seats.

I think for the Devils, a 2,500-3,000 seater rink would be perfect. But they may not get any say in how large it is or what else it will be used for.
Luke80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:49 AM   #6
JamesWales

I think an equally big question is whether it will serve as an all-purpose arena, replacing the Cardiff International Arena in the city centre. If it did, it would need to be around 6-7000 in capacity at least.

The Devils crowds are right up and games often sell out. I think the current rink holds around 2,100, so presuming some pent up demand, and an improved arena, I'd like to think the Devils could get 3-4,000 regularly, which in a 7,000 capacity arena isn't ridiculous.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens anyway.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 05:32 PM   #7
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 186

I went to see Cardiff Devils in their temporary rink in December. To be honest, the temporary rink was pretty decent. A little rough around the edges, but could provide a decent enough home with a few adjustments.
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #8
JamesWales

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoody View Post
I went to see Cardiff Devils in their temporary rink in December. To be honest, the temporary rink was pretty decent. A little rough around the edges, but could provide a decent enough home with a few adjustments.
I agree, but Highbury was a decent enough home for Arsenal, and Maine Road was a decent enough home for Manchester City.

The answer has to be in moving though. The list of niggly problems with the current rink is far too long to offer a permanent solution.

I agree though, that it has been a worthy temporary replacement.
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #9
JamesWales

Well the Devils have a new multi-millionaire owner, who it seems is putting the development of the new arena high on the agenda. Quite exciting times really.

http://www.cardiffdevils.com/Newsheadline.aspx?cpid=712

Interview with the new owner, and article here. The article mentions a new 3,000 capacity venue, which would presumably be multi purpose.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/cardiff...1466-25990229/
Old April 12th, 2010, 01:48 AM   #10
AndrewC

Likes (Received): 4

Is there are any more news on this? The 3,000 capacity mentioned above - is that the most likely capacity - would the Devils' owners be tempted to plan for a potentially bigger future fanbase?
Old August 28th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #11
JamesWales

Planet Ice have won the tender for a new 3,000 seater Ice Hockey Arena in Cardiff Bay.

Due to be completed by 2012

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/cardiff...1466-27153992/
Old August 28th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #12
Sir Gar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
Planet Ice have won the tender for a new 3,000 seater Ice Hockey Arena in Cardiff Bay.

Due to be completed by 2012

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/cardiff...1466-27153992/
Great news, any images as of yet?
Sir Gar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #13
DaiB
Maaaaaaaaarvellous

Likes (Received): 22

This is on the BBC website:

Old September 19th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #14
AndrewC

Likes (Received): 4

ever so slowly and surely the Steelers carry on going from having the newest, nicest stadium in the league the oldest, shitest stadium in the league. D'oh!!
AndrewC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #15
JamesWales

Latest news announced today on the new Cardiff Devils arena. A company has won the tender for the construction of a 3,000 seater arena, a second (public use /training) ice rink and a 150m indoor ski centre.

A couple of images are in the below stories. Cardiff Devils are hopeful of being in there for 2013/14 season.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/cardiff...1466-30207547/

http://www.leisureopportunities.co.u...&codeID=299063
Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:34 AM   #16
Darloeye

Likes (Received): 50

^ Great news. Wish we had more money in the sport. losing the Vipers was a blow to the North east area
Darloeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #17
cinosanap
Profile of the Rising Sun

Likes (Received): 8

Good to see. Surprised that the arena will be smaller than the Flyers' barn, though.
cinosanap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #18
Schmeek

Good stuff. I wonder, with w-s-m building their own massive indoor ski slope, will it be possible that each will be visible from the other across the channel? I know on a clear day cardiff is very visible from weston.
But I dont think weston's slope will be on the waterfront so maybe not.
Schmeek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #19
JamesWales

Is Weston definately building one then? I think there is an indoor snow facility in Tamworth, so if there was one in Weston too, it limits the catchment area for the one in Cardiff.

I'm mainly pleased about the Devils arena though, and that crucially it will be a twin-pad.
Old June 12th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #20
JamesWales

From Construction News:

3,100 capacity arena to commence in January..Snowsports centre later in 2013..if you believe the dates..!

Cardiff council agrees £150m price for winter sports development
12 June, 2012 | By Tom Fitzpatrick

Cardiff County Council has agreed a £150 million deal with developer Greenbank Partnerships for a new winter sports development.

The final cost is £50m less than first expected, with construction work expected to get underway early in 2013.

Master planning of the development commenced in 2000, followed by full site remediation in 2003.

Construction is anticipated to be completed within five years achieving its objective of combining state-of-the-art sports, leisure and entertainmentwith high quality waterfront residences, hotels, bars, restaurants and major retail.

New facilities will include a ski slope and snow facility, an ice arena with seating for around 3,000 spectators; public and corporate food and drink facilities, a multi storey car park of a minimum of 750 places, retail units, café/restaurants and up to two hotels.

Construction of the 3,100 seat ice arena is expected to start early in 2013 followed by work on the snow facility in the summer.