daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 24th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #1261
yoshef
I like beer.

Likes (Received): 512

Who are they objecting to? MDHC already has permission to build the river terminal

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made

The only thing I can think of is the application for RGF to do the required dredging, by Sefton council, which has also been approved afaik?

Sponsored Links

Old February 24th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #1262
skit_uk
Towerholic

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshef View Post
Who are they objecting to? MDHC already has permission to build the river terminal

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made

The only thing I can think of is the application for RGF to do the required dredging, by Sefton council, which has also been approved afaik?
As I say i only caught the end of it, it may have been about cruise ship facilities. Ignore me
Old February 24th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #1263
yoshef
I like beer.

No prob skit, talking to myself!

There is this, but it's old news, from November....

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9367...ntainer_trade/

Quote:
Liverpool eyes container trade

3:29pm Wednesday 16th November 2011 in News By Keith Hamilton , Shipping & Heritage Reporter

Liverpool eyes container trade
FIRST it was Southampton’s cruise ships – now Liverpool is aiming to hijack a slice of the port’s container trade.

Not content with trying to pirate Southampton’s cruising industry, the northern city is now poised to receive a further cash handout enabling it to tempt container ships away from the south.

Taxpayers’ money, thought to total £30m, now looks likely to be poured into a major dredging project allowing giant container ships, like those which berth in Southampton, to negotiate the River Mersey.

Leader of Southampton City Council, Royston Smith, described Whitehall’s decision to hand over the Government money as “inexplicable’’.

Mr Smith said: “I shall be certainly contacting the Government requesting clarification as to why this public money should be going to fund the dredging of the Mersey.’’ This comes as Southampton anxiously waits for the Government decision on whether or not Liverpool will be successful in its bid to become a “turnaround’’ port for cruise ships.
Old February 24th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #1264
bluesnapper

Likes (Received): 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Shaw View Post
Interesting.
Do you have a link pl?
Nothing on the Soton Daily Echo site, as yet
http://derbosoft.proboards.com/index...ad=8503&page=2
bluesnapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #1265
Cast Iron Shaw

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesnapper View Post
Thanks for this

From what I have found out subsequently there is no, nor should there be, any protest against Peel's proposed Panamax terminal

However understand there has been some comment from the Local Council in Soton about the £35m RDF grant to Sefton Council which will be passed onto Peel to pay towards the dredge

One of their councillors was complaining about the difficulty in getting Govt grants in their part of England and also issues with obtaining planning permission which have affected port expansion down there.

It seems, as often the case, the media is probably making a mountain out of a molehill.
Cast Iron Shaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 01:52 AM   #1266
Howie_P

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Peel Ports purchases 4x4 Ro-Ro tractors for Liverpool Port
01 Mar 2012 - Port Planning, Terminal Handling

The Terberg RT 283 Tractor (pictured) is
now in use at the Port of Liverpool.
Image: Peel Ports

Terberg RT 283 Tractor units delivered to Liverpool Port

Peel Ports has announced that it has added to its portfolio of operational equipment at the Port of Liverpool in the shape of new Terberg RT 283 Tractor units.

The Tugmaster units, which are specially designed for heavy haul Ro-Ro operations, will be deployed at the Liverpool terminals where they are now on site.

The 4x4 Ro-Ro tractors, boasting a 165 tonne gross combined weight (GCW), were purchased from Netherlands-based Terberg Benschop B.V.

“This latest investment in operational equipment will significantly improve the Ro-Ro capability of the port to the benefit of our customers and end-users and is in response to this growing sector,” said David Huck, head of port operations for Peel Ports Mersey.

“The addition of the Terberg RT 283 Tractor units boosts our overall business efficiency at the Port of Liverpool, by helping to increase our service offering and capacity.”

The Port of Liverpool is the largest of the Peel ports, handling over 33 million tonnes of cargo, representing more than 50 per cent of the Group's annual trade.
Source: Port Technology
Howie_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 01:24 AM   #1267
yoshef
I like beer.

Good article on the Liverpool Daily Post website about Cammell Lairds...

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...9623-30432532/

(well its full of nautical puns again)

Last edited by yoshef; March 3rd, 2012 at 01:34 AM.
yoshef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:32 AM   #1268
kevsy21

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshef View Post
Good article on the Liverpool Daily Post website about Cammell Lairds...

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...9623-30432532/

(well its full of nautical puns again)
Thats a good article,lets hope all goes to plan for Cammel Lairds.

My Liverpool Blog-- http://urbanliverpool.blogspot.com/
kevsy21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #1269
yoshef
I like beer.

Quote:
Peel Ports embarks on £300m river terminal
5 Mar 2012, 11:46
Peel Ports started the procurement phase for the construction of the long-awaited deep-water container terminal at the Port of Liverpool on Monday.
The landmark in-river terminal, designed to attract far larger container ships to the Mersey than can currently be handlded, will be branded Liverpool 2, in recognition, Peel Ports said, of its status as the largest inmvestment in the city since Grosvenor's Liverpool One retail scheme.
http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news...-terminal.html
Old March 5th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #1270
bluesnapper

Likes (Received): 273

So now we have a Liverpool One and a Liverpool 2, wonder when and where Liverpool 3/Three will be?
bluesnapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #1271
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 2146

A ridiculous name but fantastic news all the same.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #1272
Howie_P

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Peel Ports seeks bids for £300m Liverpool terminal

5 March, 2012 | By Tom Fitzpatrick

Peel Ports has begun the search for contractors to build a new £300m deep-water container terminal at the Port of Liverpool.

Procurement is underway to find a principal contractor for the terminal development and a contractor to carry out dredging, infilling and quay wall construction work.

The project, named Liverpool 2, is the key part of the 20-year Mersey Ports Master Plan for growth and future developments at the Port of Liverpool and on the Manchester Ship Canal.

The construction programme comprises of a new 854 metre quay wall, the in-filling of the newly created land-mass, the dredging of a new 16.5 metre deep berthing pocket adjacent to the quay wall, the installation of ship-to-shore quay cranes and modern cantilever rail mounted gantry cranes and associated supporting infrastructure works.

Liverpool 2 programme Douglas Coleman said: “The commencement of the procurement process is a landmark stage in the development of the Liverpool 2 container terminal, and we anticipate massive interest from companies throughout the ports construction industry. This is a technically complex project, but eminently achievable.”

The quay wall will requiring 30,000 cu/m of concrete, 15,000 metres of steel piles and 6,100 metres of new crane rails.

Dredging of the berthing pocket will remove around one million cu/m of material from the Mersey; and almost three million cu/m of infill material will be required to create the new container area.

Associated infrastructure will require the construction of 3,500 metres of new road, 230,000 sq m of surfacing and 2,500 metres of fencing.

Mr Coleman said: “CRMGs are a highly-efficient use of space. We have given this great thought, and the adoption of CRMG technology also means that ships are going to be serviced very quickly.

“They are more modern than our current straddle carrier operation, and are a high-technology solution. This will be one of the UK’s most modern container terminals, and that includes the crane technology.”

Peel Ports Mersey managing director Gary Hodgson said the project would be the biggest boost to the area since construction of the Liverpool ONE development in 2008.

He added: “By any standard it is a significant development and a major investment. By commencing the procurement process today, we have shown our commitment to the building of Liverpool 2.

“This is a clear message to the industry, to our stakeholders and to the community in the Merseyside Region and the greater North West that we are serious about the growth and investment we outlined in the Mersey Ports Master Plan consultation last year.”
Source: Construction News
Howie_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #1273
LABlue

Likes (Received): 97

Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesnapper View Post
So now we have a Liverpool One and a Liverpool 2, wonder when and where Liverpool 3/Three will be?
maybe I imagined it but I thought they were going to call the huge proposed bio-sciences project in town "Liverpool 2"

As long as they call it Everton 3 I'll be happy
LABlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #1274
yoshef
I like beer.

That could be Liverpool Two Too
Old March 5th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #1275
HollyBlack

Likes (Received): 52

Probably should keep it in perspective.

£300m would buy less than two new Boeing 747 aircraft.
Or barely 20% more than an Airbus A380.

Interesting question that springs to mind is how feasible it would be to berth an ocean liner there (and presumably put a New Riverside railway station there for passenger access).

Last edited by HollyBlack; March 5th, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
HollyBlack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:08 PM   #1276
Gutterfighter

Likes (Received): 14

I posted this on the business thread earlier but it probably sits better here.

http://www.communities.gov.uk/news/newsroom/2100221

Backdated business rates bills for port related firms has been lifted.
Gutterfighter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:30 PM   #1277
yoshef
I like beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutterfighter View Post
I posted this on the business thread earlier but it probably sits better here.

http://www.communities.gov.uk/news/newsroom/2100221

Backdated business rates bills for port related firms has been lifted.
Goodstuff
Old March 6th, 2012, 03:12 AM   #1278
jets9

Likes (Received): 64

Liverpool 2....I like that.
A 854 Metre wall, is that sufficient for 2 super container ships, or is it 3.
Which begs the question, is there any room for further berthing expansion?
If trade really boomed and there was a need for further expansion where would it go?
jets9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 03:43 AM   #1279
Dane_e

Likes (Received): 108

I seem to remember reading a while ago maersk have not ruled out building their own in river terminal. How reliable this information is questionable as I think I read it in the Daily Post.

Also, what is the plan for the site of the nature reserve? Could an extra ship berth there or is the plan to have associated infrastructure constructed on the site?
Dane_e no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 03:47 AM   #1280
Dane_e

Likes (Received): 108

Here is the article from 2010

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...34-27630581/2/

Quote:
River Mersey £250m quayside plans to lure world's biggest shipping line Maersk to Liverpool

THE world’s biggest container shipping line could start services at the Port of Liverpool once construction of a proposed £250m in-river quayside is completed.

Maersk UK chief Annemette Jepsen made the undertaking in an interview with LDP Business.

The news comes as it emerged that Peel Ports Mersey is dusting off previously shelved plans to build an in-river berth at Seaforth.

Peel has also said the revised plans will be much bigger than the original scheme.

This large double river berth would allow the new generation of jumbo container ships to dock in Liverpool.

Although Liverpool is the headquarters for Maersk Line UK & Ireland, its ships don’t currently use the port.

Danish-owned Maersk is the world’s biggest container shipping line and its vessels dock at most other major UK and Irish ports.

In contrast, Merseyside is served by five to six scheduled Maersk container trains a day that travel between Felixstowe to Stobart’s Mersey Multimodal Gateway scheme (3MG) in Widnes.

“With a Post-Panamax Liverpool berth, we would certainly review our network of UK ports,” said Annemette Jepsen, senior director, cluster manager of Maersk UK & Ireland, based in Liverpool.

Read More http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...#ixzz1oIUbrQJc

Dane_e no está en línea   Reply With Quote