daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:23 PM   #1101
Jericho-79

Likes (Received): 5

It bares mentioning that in the US, almost all "downtown" NFL stadiums are not situated downtown proper, per se. These stadiums are built on the edge of a city's CBD/downtown core. These stadiums are separated from the congested blocks of tall buildings and skyscrapers by highways, rivers, parking lots, smaller establishments, etc.

I think Ford Field is one of the only exceptions.

Even Farmers Field would located south of the busy financial district of Los Angeles.
Jericho-79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:23 AM   #1102
JJG

Likes (Received): 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
It bares mentioning that in the US, almost all "downtown" NFL stadiums are not situated downtown proper, per se. These stadiums are built on the edge of a city's CBD/downtown core. These stadiums are separated from the congested blocks of tall buildings and skyscrapers by highways, rivers, parking lots, smaller establishments, etc.

I think Ford Field is one of the only exceptions.

I'm guessing (and all of these are pretty much on the EDGE of downtown:

- BoA Stadium
- Browns Stadium
- CenturyLink
- Edward Jones Dome
- Gerogia Dome
- M&T Bank
- LP Field
- Paul Brown
- Tripple H Metrodome
- Lucas Oil
- Soldier Field.

Strange. You'd think if they could get baseball parks IN downtown, they could do the same for football. Unless, cost is the reason....?
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:16 AM   #1103
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 2

Football stadiums, unless doubling as convention space, are a waste of valuable downtown land. 355 days out of the year, the stadium is empty with little activity except the couple hundred people who work there. It doesn't generate foot traffic or business around it either.

Compare that to a baseball stadium that is in use more than 80 times a year or an arena that can be in use as many as 250 or 300 days a year. All of those days you have activity around the stadium that help the surrounding, valuable, downtown area, whereas football is 10 days a year. That is why you see baseball stadiums and arenas downtown, but not football stadiums.
ryebreadraz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:18 AM   #1104
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Football stadiums, unless doubling as convention space, are a waste of valuable downtown land. 355 days out of the year, the stadium is empty with little activity except the couple hundred people who work there. It doesn't generate foot traffic or business around it either.

Compare that to a baseball stadium that is in use more than 80 times a year or an arena that can be in use as many as 250 or 300 days a year. All of those days you have activity around the stadium that help the surrounding, valuable, downtown area, whereas football is 10 days a year. That is why you see baseball stadiums and arenas downtown, but not football stadiums.
Makes sense.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:44 PM   #1105
EIE31

Likes (Received): 0

Cant say that im that fussed with wrestling but if they fill this place out that would be impressive.

Does anyone have an idea what attendance they will be expecting when the stadium is configured for wrestling ??
EIE31 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 03:39 AM   #1106
Jericho-79

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I'm guessing (and all of these are pretty much on the EDGE of downtown:

- BoA Stadium
- Browns Stadium
- CenturyLink
- Edward Jones Dome
- Gerogia Dome
- M&T Bank
- LP Field
- Paul Brown
- Tripple H Metrodome
- Lucas Oil
- Soldier Field.
Like I said, these NFL stadiums are located in the downtown vicinity. However, they're separated from the CBD/DT core, where all the tall buildings are clustered together. EJD and the Georgia Dome are exceptions.

Quote:
You make a good point. EJD and Georgia Dome, I guess, double as additional convention space, as both stadiums are attached to downtown convention centers.

Farmers Field would have similar status as well.
Old February 24th, 2012, 03:48 AM   #1107
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:

Also, most baseball stadiums have the crowds concentrated toward the front of the stadium, while the back is typically open-air without much seating. That's much better to host a myriad of events such as concerts and other events where you don't want to stare at the backside of someone throughout the performance.

AND baseball stadiums tend to take up less space, so they're easier to find space for, and they have a lower capacity so parking is easier to create as well.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #1108
Jericho-79

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
AND baseball stadiums tend to take up less space, so they're easier to find space for, and they have a lower capacity so parking is easier to create as well.
In that case, do you think Dodger Stadium or Angel Stadium could be squeezed in on a city block in downtown Los Angeles?
Old February 26th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #1109
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79

In that case, do you think Dodger Stadium or Angel Stadium could be squeezed in on a city block in downtown Los Angeles?
Depends on what you mean by city block. The Coliseum is downtown and is bigger than Dodger Stadium. Personally, I would like them to build a new Dodgers stadium where the LA Sports Arena is. But that's another conversation.
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 03:56 AM   #1110
Darloeye

Likes (Received): 50

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news...cle885127.html
Darloeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 02:03 AM   #1111
Jericho-79

So I watched Wrestlemania 28 on pay-per-view last night. And while WWE was hyping next year's Wrestlemania 29, they showed nighttime footage of the Manhattan skyline, Times Square, the NY Stock Exchange, Rockefeller Plaza, etc.

During the video package, WWE made this announcement: "Next year, Wrestlemania comes to New York City!"

Why can't WWE just say that Wrestlemania 29 will take place in New Jersey? Why is WWE lying to their audience regarding the actual location of Wrestlemania 29?

After all, the Wrestlemania 29 logo has "NY/NJ" in it.

Old April 3rd, 2012, 10:51 PM   #1112
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
So I watched Wrestlemania 28 on pay-per-view last night. And while WWE was hyping next year's Wrestlemania 29, they showed nighttime footage of the Manhattan skyline, Times Square, the NY Stock Exchange, Rockefeller Plaza, etc.

During the video package, WWE made this announcement: "Next year, Wrestlemania comes to New York City!"

Why can't WWE just say that Wrestlemania 29 will take place in New Jersey? Why is WWE lying to their audience regarding the actual location of Wrestlemania 29?

After all, the Wrestlemania 29 logo has "NY/NJ" in it.

Anyone have a quick link for a free-source "Not this shit again" picture?
Old April 4th, 2012, 12:37 AM   #1113
MrChavcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
Anyone have a quick link for a free-source "Not this shit again" picture?
MrChavcore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #1114
Jericho-79

I'm not trying to start anything.

I just think it's supid that WWE won't just come out and say that Wrestlemania 29 will be emanating from New Jersey.

For every other pay-per-view that WWE does at the Meadowlands, they acknowledge that the event is taking place in Jersey.
Old April 4th, 2012, 03:41 AM   #1115
JJG

You guys bitching about someone mentioning wrestling again?

If we're talking about stadiums, we mention the events that take place at those stadiums as well. If you're gonna talk about and post pictures of the Super Bowl, Kickoff Weekend, and any concert at MetLife Stadium, then I think people have the right to mention Wrestlemania.

Get over already and quit with this snobby ass attitiude twoards it.
Old April 4th, 2012, 04:29 AM   #1116
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
I'm not trying to start anything.

I just think it's supid that WWE won't just come out and say that Wrestlemania 29 will be emanating from New Jersey.

For every other pay-per-view that WWE does at the Meadowlands, they acknowledge that the event is taking place in Jersey.
If Wrestlemania took place at FedEx Field, would you expect them to say that it was in Maryland or DC? I would hope they would say DC, because without DC, Maryland doesn't have a stadium. It's in Maryland ONLY because of DC.
Old April 4th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #1117
MrChavcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
You guys bitching about someone mentioning wrestling again?

If we're talking about stadiums, we mention the events that take place at those stadiums as well. If you're gonna talk about and post pictures of the Super Bowl, Kickoff Weekend, and any concert at MetLife Stadium, then I think people have the right to mention Wrestlemania.

Get over already and quit with this snobby ass attitiude twoards it.
i was under the assumption the "not this shit again" statement had more to do with the new jersey/new york issue than wrestling.
MrChavcore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #1118
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChavcore View Post
i was under the assumption the "not this shit again" statement had more to do with the new jersey/new york issue than wrestling.
welll... both.... But mainly the New Jersey thing
Old April 4th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #1119
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darloeye View Post
APRIL FOOLS!
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #1120
JJG

Quote: