daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Cities, Places, Travel and Geography

Cities, Places, Travel and Geography Discussions and Photos of highrises, urbanity, architecture and the built environment of cities and places in the Philippines.
» Metro Manila | Luzon | Visayas | Mindanao

View Poll Results: ..
.. 0 0%
.. 0 0%
.. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 25th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #4881
wolfram74
BANNED

Likes (Received): 493

actually, our Constitution provides that there should be a regular reapportionment of districts:

1987 Constitution
Article VI. The Legislative Department
Section 5. (4) Within three years following the return of every census, the Congress shall make a reapportionment of legislative districts based on the standards provided in this section.

----------

ang problema, hindi ito nasusunod ng ating mga congresista. busy sa impeachment, hearing tungkol sa sex tape, and other assorted topics. :nuts: :bash:
wolfram74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 25th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #4882
achernar
Hurricane Hunter

Likes (Received): 0

many provinces in the Philippines are very underrespresented in congress... Cebu, Laguna and Bulacan to name a few...

Caloocan and Quezon City is very underrepresented too.
achernar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #4883
freightrunner

Likes (Received): 277

About Batanes. Saan naman kaya napupunta yung PDAF ni Mrs. Abad? At siyempre meron ding extra allocation for local projects si Butch mismo e parang wala namang improvemnet kahit man lang sana yung port or airport nila. Of course I know the people prefer to leave things as they are so as not to spoil the beauty of the place but then again as I mentioned what do they spend their money on?
freightrunner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #4884
nvii
Level III Ironmonger

Likes (Received): 15

^ yung mga provinces kasi, kahit gaano pa yan kaliit, kelangan may 1 representative. nasa Constitution yan eh.

iba naman ang kaso sa mga city at highly-urbanized municipalities. mas mabilis dumami ang mga tao kesa sa bilis ng paggawa ng mga bagong districts.
nvii no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #4885
sisigman
Admiral

Likes (Received): 54

the term "Metro Clark" is beginning to rise.

my problem with this is that Clark is not even a political unit. It's not a Sitio, not a Purok, not a Barangay, not a Municipality, not a City, not a province. It's just a zone. It sounds very colonial to me, too, na para bang wala man lang Kapampangan/native touch, unlike Metro Cebu, or Metro Davao, even Metro Manila.

Metro Angeles is listed as an acknowledged term, like for example in NEDA's research papers. It's one of the two existing metropolitan areas in Central Luzon (the other being Metro Olongapo in Zambaes). However, since there is sibling rivalry between San Fernando, Pampanga and Angeles, I am most certain "Metro Angeles" will be met with disgust by the Fernandinos. Angeles prides itself for being an autonomous city, San Fernando prides itself as the province's and region's capital city. Two prides clash at walang papaawat. Unlike Metro Olongapo, mas walang issue kasi Olongapo City is the only city of Zambales. Hindi maiinggit ang Municipality of Subic.

How to solve?
-Consistent top-performing highly urbanized city in the whole North Luzon

Last edited by sisigman; March 24th, 2012 at 04:13 PM.
sisigman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #4886
sisigman
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jochval View Post
the same lang yan dati sa Cebu na planong hatiin sa tatlong probinsya, kasi tinitake advantage nila ang pagiging maunlad nito, pero madaming tumututol, sana ganyan din sa CamSur, mas maganda kung nag-iisa...
not necessarily. kapag nag-iisa kasi, ang kawawa ay yung mga towns na hindi sentro, kasi hindi sila matututukan... tama ang point ng Nueva Camarines na kapag hinati ang CamSur, mas made-decentralize ang progress sa dalawang centers, imbes na isa.

a micro-example is Angeles City. Dalawa po ang downtown nito... Isa sa east (poblacion), isa sa west (balibago). Mas even ang development, kesa isa lang ang downtown.

I dont know about the political situation sa CamSur, pero ito lang ang masasabi ko. It's not necessarily maganda kung nag-iisa, at the expense of the other towns.

Secession has always been because the residents of the seceding area feel they are being neglected by the center -- culturally, economically, politically, or a mixture of these.
Old March 24th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #4887
sisigman
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by manileño View Post
^^ :lol::lol:

A good example is Malay, Aklan where Boracay is. It's only a municipality but no doubt its income beats 2/3rds of all your cities. Why is it not a city? Aside from the fact that a beach paradise will cease to be just that when you start calling it a city. Plus it's just weird. Boracay City :lol: There's Subic, Zambales and Morong, Bataan too (now important locations for SBMA investments) plus Nasugbu, Batangas with its leisue and real estate boom, Mabalacat, Pampanga home to Clark Airport and Logistics City, etc.
Points to consider:

-- Boracay is administratively independent of the Municipality of Malay / Province of Aklan (it is administered by the Philippine Tourism Authority)

-- Malay has only about 30,000 population, a far cry from the requirement to become a city

-- Can't call it Boracay City, as Boracay is just an island name. It's not even a political unit. It's not a barangay. It is made up of three Malay barangays: Balabag, Manoc-Manoc, and Yapak

-- Mabalacat will now be a city
Old March 24th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #4888
sisigman
Admiral

Quote:
yea, im not a big fan of 'prestige tags' either or whatever you call them. i just call it what it is.
Cebu City and metropolis = Cebu, just like i call Makati or QC simply Manila. Same thing.

Im not from Metro Manila. I'm from Manila, simple. See? i never lived within the city limits of "Manila City" but i call myself manileño haha and proud to be one :D

drop the metro, drop the city. we're no politicians so why bother :D
simply because there's a difference. i think prestige is not even in the minds of people. just proper identification. and for me, I prefer proper identification than simplification, because simplification leads to misinformation.

Cebu City is really Cebu City, which is different from Metro Cebu, which includes other cities in the Cebu province like Lapulapu, Talisay, and Mandaue.

Manila is not called Manila City due to prominence not only nationally but internationally (since it's the capital). Most if not all capital cities in the world do not use City. These are "global" cities, and as such, do not need the label "city" on the basis of global recognition -- like Paris, Tokyo, Seoul, Los Angeles. In fact, the country they belong to need not be identified because considered ng common know ledge na kapag Paris, nasa France ito, so no need to say "Paris, France."

If you're a resident of Quezon City, and claim you come from "Manila," that is still acceptable since QC is part of Metro Manila, shortened into Manila. It's the reason it's called Ateneo de [metro] MANILA university, not Ateneo De Quezon City University. But if you wish to be more specific, you really have to say Quezon City, because it's really a separate territory from Manila the city.

For most Visayans/Mindanaoans, anyone who comes from Luzon is said to come from Manila. Like when I visited a friend in Davao City, he introduced me to his grandparents as someone who came from Manila. I had to correct him, na I came from Pampanga, not Manila. But then he told me, "para madali." I can't allow these simplifications because Manila is not Pampanga. If I'd have to be more specific, I would, and claim I came from Angeles [City].

I notice you campaign very much against the use of these terms. Not all think of those prestige prestige things you're saying. Sometimes, it's just about proper identification.

On the part of governance, attaching city to your name can boost the morale of the residents, which is positive.

I don't get the negative aura on the city label.

Last edited by sisigman; March 24th, 2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old March 25th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #4889
nike2.5
BANNED

ang manila ay para sa pilipino, kahit bisaya ka,waray,mindanaoan o ilocano pag may bahay ka sa metro manila,rizal,cavite at bulacan pwede mong sabihin manileno ka, as long as nasa puso mo at dyan mo nilalagay ang dugo at pawis mo
nike2.5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #4890
hakz2007
Moderador

Likes (Received): 2990

hakz2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 05:08 AM   #4891
Rodel

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by achernar View Post
many provinces in the Philippines are very underrespresented in congress... Cebu, Laguna and Bulacan to name a few...

Caloocan and Quezon City is very underrepresented too.
even Pasig
manila-bangkok-pattaya-bali-singapore-kuala lumpur-hanoi-haikou-hongkong-amsterdam-maastricht-nijmegen-vaals-hamburg-rome-paris-london-southampton-capetown-los angeles-san diego-san francisco-raleigh-las vegas-arizona-baguio-banaue-legazpi-naga-puerto princesa-laoag-vigan-subic-angeles-bohol-davao
Rodel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 06:27 AM   #4892
SamwiseGamgee
... steadfast and loyal.

Likes (Received): 3903

Quote:
yea, im not a big fan of 'prestige tags' either or whatever you call them. i just call it what it is.
Cebu City and metropolis = Cebu, just like i call Makati or QC simply Manila. Same thing.

Im not from Metro Manila. I'm from Manila, simple. See? i never lived within the city limits of "Manila City" but i call myself manileño haha and proud to be one :D

drop the metro, drop the city. we're no politicians so why bother :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisigman View Post
simply because there's a difference. i think prestige is not even in the minds of people. just proper identification. and for me, I prefer proper identification than simplification, because simplification leads to misinformation.

Cebu City is really Cebu City, which is different from Metro Cebu, which includes other cities in the Cebu province like Lapulapu, Talisay, and Mandaue.

Manila is not called Manila City due to prominence not only nationally but internationally (since it's the capital). Most if not all capital cities in the world do not use City. These are "global" cities, and as such, do not need the label "city" on the basis of global recognition -- like Paris, Tokyo, Seoul, Los Angeles. In fact, the country they belong to need not be identified because considered ng common know ledge na kapag Paris, nasa France ito, so no need to say "Paris, France."

If you're a resident of Quezon City, and claim you come from "Manila," that is still acceptable since QC is part of Metro Manila, shortened into Manila. It's the reason it's called Ateneo de [metro] MANILA university, not Ateneo De Quezon City University. But if you wish to be more specific, you really have to say Quezon City, because it's really a separate territory from Manila the city.

For most Visayans/Mindanaoans, anyone who comes from Luzon is said to come from Manila. Like when I visited a friend in Davao City, he introduced me to his grandparents as someone who came from Manila. I had to correct him, na I came from Pampanga, not Manila. But then he told me, "para madali." I can't allow these simplifications because Manila is not Pampanga. If I'd have to be more specific, I would, and claim I came from Angeles [City].

I notice you campaign very much against the use of these terms. Not all think of those prestige prestige things you're saying. Sometimes, it's just about proper identification.

On the part of governance, attaching city to your name can boost the morale of the residents, which is positive.

I don't get the negative aura on the city label.
Actually, kids, the "CITY" in "Cebu City", "Iloilo City", "Davao City", "Cotabato City", "Zamboanga City", et. al., - back when cities were really cities and not just some barriotic semi-urban centers surrounded by sugarcane fields - were there to differentiate the same from their mother provinces of the same names, and nothing else. On the international front, New York City is still identified as such - New York CITY - to differentiate it from New York State, and likewise with Oklahoma City, Kuwait City (from Kuwait the country), etc.

Now everyone thinks that if they live in a place with "CITY" on its name, they are already a cut above those living in places that are not "cities". :nuts:

Manila is just Manila, not "Manila City". Everybody knows that it's a city. Quezon City is called as such to differentiate it from Quezon Province. No offense, but what is "Babuyan City"?

And to no one in particular, please don't ask me, "Ano probinsya mo?" I live in a city that is probably older and more cosmopolitan than yours. :D

Rant over. :lol:

Last edited by SamwiseGamgee; April 14th, 2012 at 06:41 AM.
SamwiseGamgee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #4893
nike2.5
BANNED

manila means being a filipino, a multicultural and ethnical place, and manila where the capital of the republic situated, city is just a city, but the word manila is the place where love meets dreams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 15th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #4894
12jairien14
iluvia hermosa

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by achernar View Post
bakit kaya hindi gawing proportional ang population kada district? ibang districts dito may about 1,000,000 population, meron ding below 200,000... bakit hindi pantay?

hindi katulad sa USA na equal talaga ang population per district...
wala tayo sa USA...nasa PILIPINAS tayo :lol:

C
U I D A D L A T I N O d e A S Y A

O R G U L L O d e M I N D A N A O
12jairien14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #4895
nike2.5
BANNED

manila city depende sa population ng barangay, pag lunaki na hahatiin at gagawa ng isang barangay, meron din 0 population na barangay ang manila city

brgy lawton
park n ride
rizal park
Old April 18th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #4896
Ady001

Likes (Received): 102

Amusing posts here :)

Question though, what are the possibilities of now bedroom municipalities/cities being part of their respective provinces to break off from their mother provinces and be officially part of Metro Manila? Some of these towns which could be possibly part of a larger MM would include:

-SJDM, Bulacan
-Cainta, Rizal
-Taytay, Rizal
-San Pedro, Laguna
-Imus, Cavite
-Bacoor Cavite
Ady001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #4897
jochval
Urban Geek

Likes (Received): 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ady001 View Post

Question though, what are the possibilities of now bedroom municipalities/cities being part of their respective provinces to break off from their mother provinces and be officially part of Metro Manila? Some of these towns which could be possibly part of a larger MM would include:

-SJDM, Bulacan
-Cainta, Rizal
-Taytay, Rizal
-San Pedro, Laguna
-Imus, Cavite
-Bacoor Cavite
may mga nag-attempt na ba magextend sa Metro Manila? candidate din ba ang Antipolo City? HUC na din sila kasi..hehe
Old April 18th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #4898
leeryanhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeryanhunter View Post
BACOOR AND IMUS WAITING NA LANG FOR PLEBISCITE

Republic Act No. 10161
An Act Converting the Municipality of Imus in the Province of Cavite Into a Component City to Be Known as the City of Imus Approved by the President on April 11, 2012

Republic Act No. 10160
An Act Converting the Municipality of Bacoor in the Province of Cavite Into a Component City to Be Known as the City of Bacoor Approved by the President on April 11, 2012

source: http://www.senate.gov.ph/lis/pdf_sys...e=republic_act
Sino kaya unang magcoconduct ng plebiscite. Sana sabay na lang
leeryanhunter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #4899
freightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jochval View Post
may mga nag-attempt na ba magextend sa Metro Manila? candidate din ba ang Antipolo City? HUC na din sila kasi..hehe
Antipolo deferred their plebiscite on becoming an HUC which is a noble move by the local officials. Ibig sabihin they're not after power and/or money.
Old April 18th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #4900
freightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ady001 View Post

-SJDM, Bulacan
-Cainta, Rizal
-Taytay, Rizal
-San Pedro, Laguna
-Imus, Cavite
-Bacoor Cavite
Opinion ko lang: Zero, nada, zilch, wala. Kasi kung i-eexpand pa ang M Mla then when and where is it going to end? Same thing with the independent city/HUC system. At some point in the future all the towns within a province would be qualified to become HUC and of course they want to avail themselves of the privileges and be independent and then there would be nothimg left for the province. Magiging power na lang na matitira sa province is taxation thereby reducing it to a virtually non-perfoming entity which could lead to dissolution. :nuts:

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: