daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 20th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #2441
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by CovAD View Post
I think they'd be mad to move. OK, the new site is along an area which is likely to see more passing footfall, but where they are they've got a MSCP attached directly to the cinema. This one wouldn't have any parking by the looks of it.
Yup... I've used Skydome cinema in the past and it's pretty handy...

Do cinemas really need footfall?

Sponsored Links

Old February 20th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #2442
kthulhu

Likes (Received): 4

The cinema is there probably to create footfall in the centre, especially in the evenings.

The Odeon in the Skydome is certainly well served with its own built-in car park, but if I've understood the plans correctly, there'll be car parking around the back of the large apartment store - this would probably have an exit directly into the main shopping area, which would then mean a short walk to the cinema nearby, I assume.
Old February 21st, 2012, 09:57 AM   #2443
skybluecity

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTroll View Post
I think that's why I'm indifferent... I guess if they don't have people signed up for the units, they won't even start it.

Would organic growth be like this: there's an area with a concentration of businesses that attract people already, so other businesses would move into the surrounding area and form a cluster. The routes leading into this area then take advantage of the footfall and start to boom... Ideally somewhere with traffic and easy car access and pedestrian access?

This is sort-of happened in a 'mini-way' in Earlsdon, and I suspect if it was possible, people would be converting the houses down Albany road into shop fronts/bars/offices/businesses.
You'd start with the market. The market is the only element of the scheme that will be funded largely with public money - a combination of council funding, EU money and a grant from the regional development agency (or whatever it is called now) I suspect - something similar to how FGS is being funded.

Why is it that we take the view that we do nothing until funding is in place for everything? The market already has decent enough footfall and this would surely increase following the upgrade; and this in turn would make it easier to secure funding for later phases and attract businesses to the area.

Perhaps the demolition of Coventry Point has something to do with it? I just feel that if we stand still for another 3 years it'll be too late.
skybluecity no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:58 AM   #2444
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

I saw a Foot Locker shop in the upper precinct this morning. Is this new?

The former Coventry Blaze store is becoming a hair salon...
Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:01 PM   #2445
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluecity View Post
You'd start with the market. The market is the only element of the scheme that will be funded largely with public money - a combination of council funding, EU money and a grant from the regional development agency (or whatever it is called now) I suspect - something similar to how FGS is being funded.

Why is it that we take the view that we do nothing until funding is in place for everything? The market already has decent enough footfall and this would surely increase following the upgrade; and this in turn would make it easier to secure funding for later phases and attract businesses to the area.

Perhaps the demolition of Coventry Point has something to do with it? I just feel that if we stand still for another 3 years it'll be too late.
You answered your own question... They are waiting to get people signed up before building so they don't end up with half filled/half completed developments that no one wants.

I guess they'll be pushing this at MIPIM... Just as they pushed the Jerde plan at MIPIM, and the Friargate plan at MIPIM...

I agree - 3 years is a long time and it may well be too late. I think it's already too late.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:48 PM   #2446
Fernando Partridge

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
I saw a Foot Locker shop in the upper precinct this morning. Is this new?
No, it's always been there (a few doors down from River Island iirc), although I'm half doubting myself now.
Fernando Partridge no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:22 PM   #2447
Sebadude

Likes (Received): 13

Foot Locker used to be in a smaller unit under Broadgate House, where Gregg's is now. They must've moved to the Lower Precinct unit about ten years ago.
Sebadude no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:29 PM   #2448
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Peacocks is closing two sites in Coventry - not sure which, as there are three: Central Six, West Orchards & Holbrooks Co Op (Not sure what that is?!)

Last edited by NewTroll; February 22nd, 2012 at 09:40 PM.
NewTroll no está en línea  
Old February 25th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #2449
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

They are putting in a full app for Bishop Gate

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/new...sWidget-bottom

Still think it's a terrible development, and one that will be about as much benefit to the city centre as IKEA was - and does Coventry _really_ need more 'pedestrian boulevards'? Another ASDA, Sainsbury's or TESCO... YAWN. Go on, surprise me and announce it's WAITROSE... LOL!

I went into the city centre on Friday night and walked up through Priory Place from Pool Meadow (8:30) - it was absolutely deserted, and two of the units look closed again. The Chinese had about five people in it and 'maison' was empty. Opposite Pool meadow the ground floor of the building seems to be filled with glass advertising the space as restaurant space and there's a (Closed?) Nigerian Restaurant called Solace. Quite a depressing place at the moment, and clearly the restaurant units are not economically viable - I expect they'll end up being fast food joints.

On the other hand, this evening, Bella Italia and Pizza Express at Belgrade Plaza were absolutely heaving...

"The Millennium came to Coventry and all we got was this useless empty space, a bridge to nowhere and a square of bars that no one wants. Oh, and two nice blank walls."
Old February 25th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #2450
Dr Pepper

Likes (Received): 40

Co-op?

M&S Food?

UK's biggest Lidl/Aldi/Iceland/Heron Foods/Booths?
Old February 25th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #2451
Dr Pepper

Likes (Received): 40

Official Coventry Thread 5 up and running.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...6#post88886766
Old February 25th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #2452
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Likes (Received): 220

Quote:
I went into the city centre on Friday night and walked up through Priory Place from Pool Meadow (8:30) - it was absolutely deserted, and two of the units look closed again. The Chinese had about five people in it and 'maison' was empty. Opposite Pool meadow the ground floor of the building seems to be filled with glass advertising the space as restaurant space and there's a (Closed?) Nigerian Restaurant called Solace. Quite a depressing place at the moment, and clearly the restaurant units are not economically viable - I expect they'll end up being fast food joints.

On the other hand, this evening, Bella Italia and Pizza Express at Belgrade Plaza were absolutely heaving...

"The Millennium came to Coventry and all we got was this useless empty space, a bridge to nowhere and a square of bars that no one wants. Oh, and two nice blank walls."
I always wondered why they never built a large residential area around here to attract people to actually live in this part of the city, granted there is no canal but I'm sure this could have been a potential Brindley Place around here. I suppose what blocks any attempt a doing this is the hotel and Priory hall but this has such potential to be a lived in area. Even before building, just looking at the bus station late at night, I could tell that would be no way of producing a lively area with out, well, people. Definitel needs quality apartments and I'm disappointed that that apartment block on the corner never got built.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #2453
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon2000 View Post
I always wondered why they never built a large residential area around here to attract people to actually live in this part of the city, granted there is no canal but I'm sure this could have been a potential Brindley Place around here. I suppose what blocks any attempt a doing this is the hotel and Priory hall but this has such potential to be a lived in area. Even before building, just looking at the bus station late at night, I could tell that would be no way of producing a lively area with out, well, people. Definitel needs quality apartments and I'm disappointed that that apartment block on the corner never got built.
Exactly.

I think it needs more reasons for people to go there! Brindley place covers all angles, doesn't it? Huge cultural/leisure venues, offices and apartments. And because people seem to head up there from the station, you've got a fairly good line of businesses from the station onwards.

They just keep building units for things in Coventry that they can't fill. No one works in that area, few people live there, and there's virtually no reason to go there in the evening! And you have to park in those horrible car parks under the ring road - and the area is generally absolutely awful! I really do think if they started removing these horrendous buildings they put up and started turning them back into proper city streets it might help.

Down there you have that weird empty square behind the Cathedral with Priory Hall over it... Then all the service areas of Priory Hall... that horrible hotel over the road, the blank wall of the bus station... And let's be blunt, bus stations are usually in shitty parts of town anyway.
Old February 26th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #2454
We-Are-Borg-1987

Likes (Received): 8

When Priory is eventually demolished it will be a great opportunity, but it will also open up a horrendous view of the ring road for visitors to the cathedral!

I think Bishopgate is ok. The Jerde plan was for offices etc, but that would divert companys from Friargate so Bishopsgate makes sense. I do agree with the Ikea comparison though, but at least Bishopsgate gets the space filled or it could be empty for many years.
We-Are-Borg-1987 no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2012, 11:57 AM   #2455
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by We-Are-Borg-1987 View Post
When Priory is eventually demolished it will be a great opportunity, but it will also open up a horrendous view of the ring road for visitors to the cathedral!

I think Bishopgate is ok. The Jerde plan was for offices etc, but that would divert companys from Friargate so Bishopsgate makes sense. I do agree with the Ikea comparison though, but at least Bishopsgate gets the space filled or it could be empty for many years.
Bishopgate only makes great sense in that it's got direct access from the ring road and is, in effect, like an out of town store with great road access.

The idea that it'll end up with another 'square' next to it lined with shops and cafes is absolutely fantasy world. No one will walk up there from the precinct, and customers at the supermarket will probably drive in, do their shopping and never leave the building.

We had this bullshit when IKEA was planned and it was going to have a square near it. Maybe if that part of the city centre was filled with apartments/housing it'd make more sense, but it's a totally dead area. The only other business round there is a funeral parlour!

Absolutely ridiculous, and the whole thing is a scam to get permission - IKEA was supposed to have street level frontages, but they quickly ditched that.

At least Bishopgate isn't as rank as IKEA. The sixties may have been bad, but IKEA takes mediocrity to new levels!
Old February 27th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #2456
skybluecity

I have friends from the Cotswalds who had never been to Coventry until Ikea was built. Now they come regularly and sometimes venture into the city centre proper.

The building itself is horrible from most angles, and for that reason I wish it hadn't been built, but to suggest everyone drives in and drives out is very lazy thinking indeed and quite simply not true. We went there yesterday and we also walked into town to get a few bits we'd otherwise have gone to Asda or Tescos for.

As for Ikea Plaza - it's just a road junction (a quite clean and decluttered one at that) so I don't see what the fuss is there, apart from the silly name which hints at something much grander. Council should have insisted on those shop units though.

Bishopsgate - no real issue with this providing they follow through with the shop units and leisure centre. Hopefully it will improve the chances of us seeing Bishop's Place and the Trinity Mirror residential development. I suspect it won't make much difference, but you never know. The main positive is the ring-road level crossing - it might make the ring-road lobby realise that's it's not meant to be a bypass.

We'll see.
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #2457
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluecity View Post
I have friends from the Cotswalds who had never been to Coventry until Ikea was built. Now they come regularly and sometimes venture into the city centre proper.

The building itself is horrible from most angles, and for that reason I wish it hadn't been built, but to suggest everyone drives in and drives out is very lazy thinking indeed and quite simply not true. We went there yesterday and we also walked into town to get a few bits we'd otherwise have gone to Asda or Tescos for.

As for Ikea Plaza - it's just a road junction (a quite clean and decluttered one at that) so I don't see what the fuss is there, apart from the silly name which hints at something much grander. Council should have insisted on those shop units though.

Bishopsgate - no real issue with this providing they follow through with the shop units and leisure centre. Hopefully it will improve the chances of us seeing Bishop's Place and the Trinity Mirror residential development. I suspect it won't make much difference, but you never know. The main positive is the ring-road level crossing - it might make the ring-road lobby realise that's it's not meant to be a bypass.

We'll see.
I'm sure some people do explore further, but there was a report a while back in which traders in Spon Street and City Arcade complained about the lack of footfall in the area - as City Arcade is the main route from IKEA to the precinct, then it's clearly not made much of a difference. I would suggest that the majority of visitors to IKEA don't explore. For every person you know who does, I can think of someone I know who doesn't. What's even quiet sad is that I know a few people who'd rather drive to the Walsall IKEA than use the one here...

We bumped into some confused people in Belgrade Plaza car park the other week looking for IKEA! We told them they'd parked in the wrong car park.

The fuss with IKEA plaza? It's a large space (Too large and empty) but even worse it's a busy intersection with a lot of passing trade, and one of the few roads from the ringroad into the city centre that has pedestrians (The ringroad has surface level crossing.)... Whole towns have grown up around intersections. What has it got in it? IKEA's _awful_ cafe, and... nothing else. Some flowerpots and lot of litter and that horrendous road system around the Arena...

Businesses in Coventry city centre complain that there's no passing trade... and people have few places in the city with passing trade to set up a business... yet where there is passing trade the council just allow a corporation to build a blank wall and an empty square! (The same goes for the adjacent street, which is shocking.)

Even in the small Spanish town my Mum lives in for half a year virtually every single building that faces a main road has ground floor units... They generally fill up with a mix of businesses.

This goes back to my comments about the ringroad - if it is going stay (Which it is) then the city centre needs to be reconfigured to take advantage of it... Surely this means making sure that the roads between the ringroad and the precinct that do carry traffic aren't just lined with blank walls?

If you look at pictures of the old Coventry, the intersections in the city centre tended to have businesses around it. It's where routes meet and where there's traffic... Broadgate was a major intersection.

The crazy thing about IKEA Plaza is that it's got a bloody residential area just next to it and a large apartment complex around the corner!

I'd have insisted that IKEA and that apartment block opposite put in ground floor units. Now it's too late.

"I went to Coventry and I all I got was attacked by tumbleweed in an empty square."

Last edited by NewTroll; February 27th, 2012 at 11:42 PM.
NewTroll no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #2458
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Hey, Skybluecity, we're migrating to the new thread:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1#post88949621

Let the squabbling commence!
Old February 28th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #2459
skybluecity

Quote:
Hey, Skybluecity, we're migrating to the new thread:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1#post88949621

Let the squabbling commence!
Yeah, just seen that. Thought it was quiet on here

Just to clarify about Ikea Plaza, I am talking about the intersection itself (I like the fact it was decluttered), not the buildings (or lack of) that frame it. I agree totally on that issue.
Old July 5th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #2460
Scazmattaz
New to London

Likes (Received): 0

You might find that Browns isn't around for a long time, its on the market as an 'ongoing concern'.

Closed Thread

Tags
coventry