daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > Victoria

Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:08 AM   #901
mobus

Likes (Received): 2769

Yeah I'm done with Australian projects/skyscrapers. They're getting more and more dull by the minute and constantly being dumbed down into these awful looking generic buildings. They release one incredible proposal, simply to gain approval, then ruin it gradually to save themselves money. Its the same case here. We had a few stunning designs early on, now it looks like some tacky take off of an international building.

We'll see who saves money when there projects go belly up.
mobus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 25th, 2012, 03:21 AM   #902
soorox
メルボルン

Likes (Received): 99

Interesting Developments for Emporium & Bourke St regarding future tenants:

Quote:
''International brands, which we can't name, are all looking at the new space … to complement the prestigious Collins Street address and we are confident of securing new leases,'' he said. ''While the retail environment is challenging, we can remix our centres to cater for customer needs. Furthermore, we are seeing signs that consumers are slowly returning from saving to spending.''

He said close to 14 per cent of tenants across the portfolio were in luxury brands and that was tipped to grow.

Major brands looking at entering Australia, on the back of Zara, Gap and Top Shop, that could look at the Emporium include Abercrombie and Kent, the Sony and Microsoft mega stores, H&M and Uniqlo, among others.
Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/busi...#ixzz1nLsbSp6O

Quote:
while in Melbourne, Apple and Sony are keen on sites in the central business district near Bourke Street Mall.
Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/business/m...#ixzz1nLtABLij

Looks like we are getting some clues regarding International Labels, Louis Vuitton, Bally, Chanel, Prada, BVLGARI, Emporio Armani, Tiffany & Co. amongst others operate stores in Collins St. David Jones next door has concessions for Fendi, Miu Miu, TOD's, Burberry, Coach & Dior, could we see these stores moving over to Emporium to operate stand alone stores?

Also it's great to see Mega stores from Apple, Sony & Microsoft are likely to open up also! Apple is way overdue for a Flagship Melbourne store, they just haven't found the right spot yet!

visitmelbourne.com.au
soorox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 07:33 AM   #903
wongm

Likes (Received): 0

I've got a stack more photos from the past few months here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/legoblo...443206/detail/

Working from this week backwards through time...

Reverse side of the facade, viewed from Little Bourke Street
image hosted on flickr

Start of a core on the south-east corner:
image hosted on flickr

View from Curtin House to the east
image hosted on flickr

Southern end of the site cleared, construction work begins
image hosted on flickr

Work on the basement subway of the new shopping centre: apparently it will link the Myer Bourke Street store to the loading dock beneath the former Myer House (250 Elizabeth Street)
image hosted on flickr

Concrete pile walls mark the new basement
image hosted on flickr

Just a front: the Lonsdale Street facade
image hosted on flickr
Old February 25th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #904
Qantas743
Proud Victorian!

Likes (Received): 123

Was able to confirm today that the upper floors of the Lonsdale St facade will indeed not be occupied by anything/one except a concrete filler as Grollo pointed out.
Old February 25th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #905
acc521
Do you expect me to talk?

Likes (Received): 366

What a waste. I wonder if it will be configured to be able to stick something on that level later on.
acc521 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #906
spiralout

Likes (Received): 61

Indeed! They could at least make it into a showroom or something...apartments flats. Its so selfish
Old February 26th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #907
dockman

Likes (Received): 15

That's very odd. With a premium site like this, you'd think they'd try and add office or residential above. Hopefully they provide provision for expansion in the foundations.
dockman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 02:35 AM   #908
Dockside

Likes (Received): 39

Even if they left the upper levels as a vast open cavity alittle like the Hearst tower's podium, i can just imagine a runway running the length of the building with a soaring ceiling being a hit with the designers, media and the public alike.
Sadly, i think that idea is better and probably alittle cheaper than a faux multi-level concrete box me thinks..
Dockside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #909
John_Proctor

Likes (Received): 288

Definitely wouldn't,t do apartments as the owner wants control not any strata titled residential owners holding them to ransom...
John_Proctor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #910
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 22

Heard someone mention that Mavi jeans were looking at expanding it's Australian presence. Wonder if that could be an option.

I am disappointed that this will become a bland mall design, given that the original concept appeared much more bold. The inner laneways and more open concept really seemed a move to try something new and exciting atleast.
Old February 26th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #911
ooh

Likes (Received): 7

This is a terrible outcome. Yet another wasted opportunity by Melbourne developers.

Love Dockside's idea, kind of like Melbourne central's shot tower.

Could easily have been offices, studios, a gallery, a function centre, the list is endless. Instead what do we get? The cheapest, crappest option available.

I like the idea of a ballroom/function centre, leaving the letters of "MYER'S" exposed as huge windows across one enormous floorplate room. You'd be able to see movement and shadows in the letters at night. Would be a real flagship place for events in the city.

And JP, there is no reason why they couldn't have it residential. Just because they were apartments didn't mean they have to sell them. If the developer wanted to hold control, why not create apartments and retain ownership, lease through a property manager and generate a return that way?
ooh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #912
Qantas743
Proud Victorian!

I was also told that the design hasn't been cheaped down that much so I don't know how accurate the latest render that Grollo posted is.
Old February 27th, 2012, 07:28 AM   #913
mobus

That's good news Qantas, because this really did start off as a world class project. It had potential to become one of the best malls on a global scale in terms of design. It would have put Melbourne on a map for architecture, even more so than now.

Where did you hear this?
Old February 27th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #914
Qantas743
Proud Victorian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobus
Where did you hear this?
Friend of mine works for the company that did the quantity surveying for this project.
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #915
mobus

Fair enough. I wonder which proposal they are actually going with, then.
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #916
Garmatt

Likes (Received): 21

Let's wait and see how this turns out. I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised.
You can't attract the calibre of tenants they are looking for with crap design and cheap finishes. By the same token, you can't go so cutting-edge with the design that it scares those same tenants off. It needs to appeal to as many possible retailers as it can.
It'll be a fine balance. Knowing Melbourne, though, she'll pull it off.
I think the finishes will be top-notch.

Melbourne Central, on the opposite side of Lonsdale, on the other hand, needs to be bulldozed and started again
Garmatt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #917
Garmatt

Likes (Received): 21

I'm also really, really interested to see how the retail component of Upper West Side turns out. I think that could also be a nice surprise (if the rest of the development is anything to go by), and because of it's location it has slipped under the radar somewhat. Remember, the floorspace for that retail development is also huge....
Garmatt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 03:15 AM   #918
tower_dan

Likes (Received): 35

hopefully all the tenants in the (formerly) DFO buildign take up teancy at UWS and they blow that thing to kindgom come!
tower_dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 03:28 AM   #919
John_Proctor

Likes (Received): 288

retail in UWS is relatively limited... its a big site but there is (from memory) only really a smallish mall at ground level (maybe the size of the CBW retail arcade).
John_Proctor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 04:09 AM   #920
ooh

Likes (Received): 7

Slightly off topic, but I was in the old DFO Spencer St mall on Sunday.

The place is depressing, so many retailers have already moved out - there aren't many left to re-locate elsewhere. Every other store is now empty and the place feels very unloved and tired.

Does anyone have any insights into the plans for that joint?
ooh no está en línea   Reply With Quote