daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #161
carnifex2005

Likes (Received): 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjones2451 View Post
Do you think it will be TSN only or will CBC and CTV bid for some too? I think Sportsnet won't bid on it, too much invested in the Blue Jays
Sportsnet will bid on it because they need more inventory now that they have Sportsnet One. That and CFL gets far more ratings than Blue Jays baseball.
carnifex2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 25th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #162
JYDA

Likes (Received): 12

It was reported a few months ago that Sportsnet is taking a pass on bidding for the CFL contract.
JYDA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #163
carnifex2005

Likes (Received): 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
It was reported a few months ago that Sportsnet is taking a pass on bidding for the CFL contract.
Really? If that is the case, that would definitely hurt the revenue of CFL teams in the future. It's sort of sad that TFC and Vancouver Whitecaps (in their first year) have more revenue per year ever than established CFL teams do in their 100th year (apparently only the Rough Riders make more than TFC and the Whitecaps per year).
carnifex2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #164
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 5149

How much does the CFL get from US television rights? To gain a stronger financial footing, the CFL really needs to start earning television broadcast revenue from beyond Canada.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #165
JYDA

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
How much does the CFL get from US television rights? To gain a stronger financial footing, the CFL really needs to start earning television broadcast revenue from beyond Canada.
I think that's a bit of a pipe dream to be honest. Between high school, college, arena, UFL, and of course NFL there's just so much domestic football content for americans to consume before watching a foreign league.
JYDA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 12:54 AM   #166
vadin

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
I think that's a bit of a pipe dream to be honest. Between high school, college, arena, UFL, and of course NFL there's just so much domestic football content for americans to consume before watching a foreign league.
In the U.S., we already get CFL games on the NFL Network. I don't know anyone who watches it regularly, though. I doubt the NFL Network pays very much for the rights.
vadin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 02:58 AM   #167
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadin View Post
In the U.S., we already get CFL games on the NFL Network. I don't know anyone who watches it regularly, though. I doubt the NFL Network pays very much for the rights.
we sometimes get games on tape delay here on Metro Sports
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 03:10 AM   #168
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Between high school, college, arena, UFL, and of course NFL there's just so much domestic football content for americans to consume before watching a foreign league.
Our seasons starts much earlier than theirs, so there will always be a few months with no competition at all. Besides there's a market for everything, you just need to search it out. There's also tv broadcasting rights beyond Canada/US.

0.1% of the overseas sports market is better than zero and this is a business after all. They'd be stupid not to try.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old February 26th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #169
shhyvoodoo

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Who watches Arena Football and the UFL?? High School ehh only big games maybe.. A true football fan is gonna watch the CFL in the states.
I've been watching it on ESPN 3 for years now and they show every game..
It would be nice if Directv and TSN or whoever gets the TV rights in Canada get together and give the CFL the same treatment they are giving the Super Rugby 15 season.. Show every game in HD compliments of Directv and they can put the games on the same channel they got set aside for the rugby season.. But i don't know if the NFL is gonna like that too much..

The NFL really has no problem with the CFL because they want players that don't make NFL rosters to have another alternative and it's the reason why the NFL WILL NEVER expand into Canada despite what others may think or want...
shhyvoodoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #170
Cjones2451

Likes (Received): 9

Getting back on topic....

WINNIPEG -- The Winnipeg Football Club announced today an update on the construction and the opening of Investors Group Field.

“As we all know, construction of a major facility is dependent on many different factors,” said Jim Bell, Vice-President and Chief Operating Officer of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

“We were given a comprehensive construction overview last week, and were advised that the construction team has lost over 60 days due to weather. While we are enjoying mild temperatures, high winds have hampered the very dangerous work associated with the erection of the partial roof canopy. Workplace safety is of foremost importance and we support our construction team’s decisions as to when it’s safe to operate the cranes and when it is not. In light of this information, we will play our preseason game on June 20 at Canad Inns Stadium, and plan to open the regular season at Investors Group Field on July 26.”

What do you think the milestone is....My guess is they have to have the roof up on both sides, which looking at where they are now seems like a TON of work

The July 26 date is dependent on a milestone being met in early May.

“I can assure people that our construction team is working around the clock to make this time up with whatever resources are necessary, and to meet the dates required,” said Ossama AbouZeid, Stadium Project Manager.

“We are asking our fans to bear with us as we work through this process. We are focused thoroughly on giving our fans the best and complete game day atmosphere and experience possible. With that in mind, we are hoping that with our preseason game being held at historic Canad Inns Stadium, and our first four games on the road to the start the regular season, we will be in a position to open Investors Group Field on July 26,” said Bell.

As the organization continues its season ticket allocation program, season ticket holders for 2012 will be credited the difference to equal the value of the 2011 preseason game ticket.

Last edited by Cjones2451; February 27th, 2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: missed my own comments :)
Cjones2451 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 04:26 AM   #171
isaidso
the new republic

26 days after the season starts is a long time to wait for a home opener. Will they configure the stadium at 40,000 for it?

Old February 29th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #172
will101

Likes (Received): 485

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadin View Post
I do. Although since NFL Network gives it such a low priority that I would have to agree with your conclusion about rights fees. Sometimes the only way I see a game is because the automatic DVR function found it.
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 01:03 AM   #173
isaidso
the new republic

Originally posted by trebor204

Old March 3rd, 2012, 02:15 AM   #174
Marvo

Likes (Received): 0

Series of photos from bombers website www.bluebombers.com

Looking at these and recent photos it really makes me question the need for a roof on stadiums, who are we kidding? this is Canada, we are kind of used to extreme weather here so why spend 80% of the budget and time (guess) on engineered trusses and arches. In the summer bring a jacket in case it rains and those 2 or 3 games at the start of winter bring a blanket .... heck the money you could save by not building a roof send all season ticket holders and a jacket and blanket!!

I would much rather see stadiums like this with unbelievable site lines where everybody is on top of the action rather than cozy and warm with a little faux roof high above..... rant over.

Not sure there are quite enough people standing around doing nothing in this last shot
Marvo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 09:16 PM   #175
Jericho-79

Likes (Received): 7

Wow. It must be difficult completing construction projects in the snow.
Jericho-79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #176
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
we sometimes get games on tape delay here on Metro Sports
CFL is also on MSG network in NYC, tape delayed.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #177
Cjones2451

Likes (Received): 9

Love these pics!!!! Great to see another perspective other than the one on the bluebombers.com site

Looks like since the announcement on the delay a couple of weeks ago, they have really kicked into overdrive to get caught up. They announced that to be done by July 26's Home Opener they had to hit a milestone by May, my guess is they need to have both roof trusses in place to be done on time

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Originally posted by trebor204
Cjones2451 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 04:16 AM   #178
will101

Likes (Received): 485

Pardon me for a stupid question, but why are they already building the lower level on the 'sunny' side, when the upper level there is only partially completed, while on the 'shady' side the upper level seems to be structurally complete, but with no part of the lower level in place?
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 04:37 AM   #179
koolio

Likes (Received): 1340

Damn ... it seems that there is perma snow on the ground in Winnipeg during the winter months. I wonder if they actually had a mild and dry winter like we did in Toronto or was is business as usual. I bet their mild winters are harsher than the worst Toronto winters.
Old March 7th, 2012, 04:43 AM   #180
Terri288
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

About damn time, WPG!

CanadInns is a hole, plain and simple.
Terri288 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnipeg