daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Japan Forum 日本フォーラム > Infrastructure & Citytalk / インフラと街について語る

Infrastructure & Citytalk / インフラと街について語る Mass transit, Urban issues, Architecture etc / 公共交通機、都市問題、建築など

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 17th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #21
quashlo

Likes (Received): 2658

If only trees grew faster...
Well, good things come with time I guess.

In the future, hopefully we'll have more streets that look like this:

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 26th, 2012, 03:00 AM   #22
Tyr
King of Bernicia

Likes (Received): 20

I've been wondering, why, even in Tokyo, do the trains stop so early?
Surely at least some lines in Tokyo would have enough potential customers through the night to keep running?
Tyr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 08:03 AM   #23
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr View Post
I've been wondering, why, even in Tokyo, do the trains stop so early?
Surely at least some lines in Tokyo would have enough potential customers through the night to keep running?
Maintenance is done at night. Also, keeping stations open all night is costly, in particular labor costs.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #24
Kimiwind1184
Speed Metal God

Likes (Received): 614

That leads me to ask, when is the last train then? Around midnight? Does that apply for metro as well?
Old February 27th, 2012, 03:48 AM   #25
quashlo

For the private railway lines radiating away from the Yamanote Line and for subway lines within the loop, the last trains typically depart between 00:00 and 01:00. Some JR lines might end before 00:00 because they're longer-distance services, but 00:00 to 01:00 is typically the standard

Of course, as a rider, you have to factor in a couple of things here...

1. Actually getting yourself to the terminal or a transfer station. This can take time, depending on where you are and where you need to be. So instead of leaving the bar at 00:00, maybe you leave at 23:30 instead.

2. Sorting out which train is really the last one for you. These last runs of the day are usually pull-ins heading straight for the train yard, so most of them don't go the full length of the line. There's also the different stopping patterns, so it all depends on which station you live closest to.
Old February 27th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #26
Kimiwind1184
Speed Metal God

Likes (Received): 614

Thank you Quashlo, I found that useful. .
Old February 28th, 2012, 01:28 AM   #27
Tyr
King of Bernicia

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Maintenance is done at night. Also, keeping stations open all night is costly, in particular labor costs.
hmm, maintainance makes sense.
Still kind of sucks that even in the biggest city on Earth they all stop so darn early.

Its not the end of the world, they do start super early again, and its pretty easy to find somewhere to hang aroudn for 4 hours, but still. Makes getting home troublesome.
Tyr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #28

Likes (Received): 693

The greening by 2015 is excellent, how is the progress coming with the removal of utility poles and replacement with trees? I know there was a bit of a setback after the earthquake because tepco said they could no longer afford it.

BTW thanks for the reply about earthquakes in Tokyo in the other thread Ukiyo. I wont be scared to go to Tokyo soon, but if I get crushed in a quake I'll haunt you like The Grudge lol
009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 01:37 AM   #29
Pythagoras
Registered Thinker

Likes (Received): 99

50 reasons Tokyo is the world's greatest city

http://www.cnngo.com/tokyo/visit/bes...yo-no-1-903662

Pythagoras no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #30
quashlo

I remember reading a similar CNN thing a while ago... They also had them for other cities. I guess they just updated the text and graphics a bit and slapped a new date on it.
Old March 13th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #31
Pythagoras
Registered Thinker

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
I remember reading a similar CNN thing a while ago... They also had them for other cities. I guess they just updated the text and graphics a bit and slapped a new date on it.
Most probably. I am not so fan of CNNgo, to be honest.

Oh, they just published a new article about what to do in Tokyo... Again, Tokyo Tower is in the main banner. What a surprise...

Insider Guide: What to do in Tokyo

http://www.cnngo.com/explorations/es...o-tokyo-753662

Pythagoras no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 03:21 AM   #32
ukiyo
モデレータ judging your posts

Likes (Received): 2147

New York, London and Tokyo most competitive cities in the world
Quote:
Among cities, New York, London and Tokyo are some of the strongest competitors in the world.

Even so, their dominance is being threatened by the ongoing economic crisis, a top Chinese think tank said in a report released on Thursday.

Of the 10 cities in the world that are the strongest competitors, Paris, San Francisco, Chicago, Los Angeles, Singapore, Hong Kong and Seoul also have a place, according to a Global Urban Competitiveness Report (2011-2012), which was compiled by the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.

The report said the United States still contains the most cities that are considered to be among the strongest competitors, 37 of the top 100.

Of Chinese cities, Shanghai ranked the highest, coming in at 36th place. Other Chinese cities to make the list were Beijing, in 55th place, Shenzhen, in 67th, and Guangzhou, in 109th.

In the previous ranking, Beijing had come in at 60th place and Shanghai at 37th.
The survey took into consideration a city's economic strength, technology and global influence.
http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_15533227.htm
You can read the entire report here: http://www.gucp.org/en/admin/WebEdit...3093252216.pdf
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #33
ukiyo
モデレータ judging your posts

Researchers: Tougher exhaust standards reduced stroke deaths
Quote:

Along with cleaner air, researchers found one other major benefit after the Tokyo metropolitan government tightened standards on exhaust emissions from diesel vehicles in 2006: a decline in deaths attributed to strokes.

The stroke death rate declined 8.5 percent in Tokyo’s urban areas after the tougher regulations were enacted in 2006, research showed. The drop means that 632 people annually were spared from dying following a stroke in the capital’s 23 wards.

The health ministry estimates that the stroke death rate will drop by 6.4-8.5 percent if the Japanese population’s average blood pressure is lowered by about 2 points.

“That would mean that the number of people dying of strokes will decrease by about 10,000 across Japan,” said Yoshihiro Kokubo, who heads the Department of Preventive Cardiology at the National Cerebral and Cardiovascular Center. “Reducing air pollution has health benefits on par with lowering blood pressure.”

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_...AJ201207040013
Old July 5th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #34
ukiyo
モデレータ judging your posts

Tokyo: Monocle rates the city 7th most liveable
Quote:
June 26 – Monocle Magazine's annual Quality of Life survey has elevated Tokyo to 7th most liveable city up two spaces from last year. And since the establishment of the magazine’s ranking system in 2007 Tokyo has held on in the top ten.

The magazine notes: "Its reputation as a neon-lit city of the future is, to some extent, justified, but what strikes outsiders most are the quiet backstreets and the almost small-town sense of civic responsibility.

“Tokyo has all the benefits of the big city: first-rate public transport, restaurants, shopping and culture, with few of the downsides.

“The streets are clean and the crime rate impressively low. In Haneda - now a full international as well as domestic airport - Tokyo also has one of the most efficient airports in the world.

“Most remarkable is the way the city's residents go about their business. If you tried to replicate Tokyo in another country it wouldn't work since what really makes Tokyo function so well is its courteous, hard-working inhabitants." (MONOCLE July/August 2012, Issue 55")

More: http://www.sportsfeatures.com/olympi...-most-liveable
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:27 AM   #35
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 473

Has there been any densification/new construction in the cities that make up Western Tokyo?
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #36
ukiyo
モデレータ judging your posts

Not in particular, but there's always redevelopment and new residential towers going up. Just look at the construction subforum.

BTW I forgot to post the list of cities. I'll highlight all the japanese ones. It's interesting to note Tokyo is the highest rated "large city" in the list. The only other one is Paris really.

Monocle's Most Livable Cities Index 2012 (official)
1 Zurich
2 Helsinki
3 Copenhagen
4 Vienna
5 Munich
6 Melbourne
7 Tokyo
8 Sydney
9 Auckland
10 Stockholm
11 Kyoto
12 Fukuoka

13 Hong Kong
14 Paris
15 Singapore

http://www.monocle.com/sections/affa...e-Survey-2012/
Old July 7th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #37
Jakub
3D

Another one http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulli.../city-rankings

Spatially Adjusted Liveability Index, top 10:
1. Hong Kong 87.8,
2. Amsterdam 87.4,
3. Osaka 87.4,
4. Paris 87.1,
5. Sydney 86.0,
6. Stockholm 86.0,
7. Berlin 85.9,
8. Toronto 85.4,
9. Munich 85.1,
10. Tokyo 84.3
Jakub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 12:00 AM   #38
ukiyo
モデレータ judging your posts

^ that one isn't official and here's the criticism: http://www.economist.com/blogs/graph...est-city-world
Old July 8th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #39
Jakub
3D

As they wrote themselves - it was an attempt to modify the present index. I guess none of those rankings is completely correct. Probably, even the word livable needs more complex definition. For example why Zurich should beat Auckland or why Helsinki is better than Tokyo?
Jakub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 02:42 AM   #40
ukiyo
モデレータ judging your posts

^ The other ones have better metrics than especially the "green" one for the one you posted, also it is unofficial and they had a population cut off. But yeah all those rankings are subjective. I like the monocle one the most because I agree with its criteria and their reasons seam fair.

But I do hope this is the beginning of the future of the EIU ranking, since their official one is quite biased (and they even say so).

Last edited by ukiyo; July 9th, 2012 at 03:06 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: