daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » completed | under construction | proposed | demolished

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 26th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #2321
Neda Say

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
How else would you propose adding the extra 20k seats necessary to host the Grey Cup? I'd say what they've done is the best option available. I like that there is angling in the corners; better than a straight across end zone set of stands that doesn't point the spectators to the field in the corners.
They filled the angles nicely on the ground! I would have just assumed that they could do the same at the level above! That's all!
Neda Say no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 27th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #2322
Nate
У Борщині

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Just noticed this thread on the Stockholmsarenan in Sweden. Despite early allusions to the FargoDome in North Dakota, the Stockholmsarenan was to be the model for the new Regina stadium.

I'm a little fearful that some of the momentum is being lost on the Regina stadium project. The Riders aren't as successful on the field as they were a few years ago and project booster Mayor Pat Fiacco is stepping down.

However, Fiacco's preferred successor Michael Fougere is in favour of the project.
Nah, it's not lost. There's a lot of work going on in the background. The city just approved I think 4 positions to manage the project (business models, negotiating with investors, planning, etc) so I think it's more of a case of lining up all the ducks before pushing forward.
Nate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #2323
elly63

Likes (Received): 76

Bombers announce update on Investors Group Field
BlueBombers.com Staff February 27, 2012

WINNIPEG -- The Winnipeg Football Club announced today an update on the construction and the opening of Investors Group Field.

“As we all know, construction of a major facility is dependent on many different factors,” said Jim Bell, Vice-President and Chief Operating Officer of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

“We were given a comprehensive construction overview last week, and were advised that the construction team has lost over 60 days due to weather. While we are enjoying mild temperatures, high winds have hampered the very dangerous work associated with the erection of the partial roof canopy. Workplace safety is of foremost importance and we support our construction team’s decisions as to when it’s safe to operate the cranes and when it is not. In light of this information, we will play our preseason game on June 20 at Canad Inns Stadium, and plan to open the regular season at Investors Group Field on July 26.”

The July 26 date is dependent on a milestone being met in early May.

“I can assure people that our construction team is working around the clock to make this time up with whatever resources are necessary, and to meet the dates required,” said Ossama AbouZeid, Stadium Project Manager.

“We are asking our fans to bear with us as we work through this process. We are focused thoroughly on giving our fans the best and complete game day atmosphere and experience possible. With that in mind, we are hoping that with our preseason game being held at historic Canad Inns Stadium, and our first four games on the road to the start the regular season, we will be in a position to open Investors Group Field on July 26,” said Bell.

As the organization continues its season ticket allocation program, season ticket holders for 2012 will be credited the difference to equal the value of the 2011 preseason game ticket.
elly63 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 08:44 AM   #2324
JYDA

Likes (Received): 8

SASKATOON EXPRESSES INTEREST TO NHL FOR A FRANCHISE
BOB MCKENZIE
3/1/2012 1:57:00 PM

No one is suggesting the NHL is considering relocating an existing franchise to Saskatoon.

But it is fair to say there have been expressions of interest from parties in the prairie city to purchase, relocate and house an NHL franchise in Saskatoon's Credit Union Centre.

Obviously, if the NHL is faced with relocating another franchise -- those options may have to be legitimately explored in the coming weeks or months with regards to the long-term future of the Phoenix Coyotes -- the most logical landing-spot candidates are Seattle, Quebec City, Kansas City and perhaps Las Vegas.

But interested parties in Saskatoon have contacted the league and suggested there are individuals or parties in Saskatoon who would be willing to ante up the required purchase fee while various levels of government in Saskatchewan would make necessary arrangements to expand and make NHL-suitable the 15,800-seat Credit Union Centre.

Even though Saskatoon's actual population is around 250,000 -- which at face value would seem to be far too small to support an NHL franchise -- the Saskatoon interests are pitching that an NHL franchise there would be supported by the entire province and it would be a viable operation.

In 1983, the St. Louis Blues almost moved to Saskatoon. Then-owner Ralston Purina were going to sell the franchise to Bill Hunter, who was going to relocate it to Saskatoon. The league blocked the move, took the franchise over when Ralston Purina effectively abandoned it and sold it to Harry Ornest, who kept the team alive in St. Louis.

Meanwhile, the NHL continues to focus on negotiations with three groups who have expressed varying degrees of interest in buying the Coyotes from the NHL and working out a deal with the City of Glendale to keep the franchise there long-term. But if those negotiations don't progress in the coming weeks, it's believed the NHL willl have no other option but to begin pursuing a parallel track to look at its relocation options while still trying to make the Phoenix scenario work.

Either way, one would assume by the end of the NHL regular season -- in mid-April -- the league will need to know whether it's staying in Phoenix for another year or relocating the franchise. Conventional wisdom is the league can't wait as long as it did last spring when Atlanta was relocated to Winnipeg in a process that started in late April and was consummated in late May. Ownership group True North in Winnipeg had an existing infrastructure in place that permitted a relatively smooth transition at such a late date.

But as interested as parties may now be in Seattle and Quebec, for example, none are as fully developed or operationally sound as True North was.

In the meantime, the short-term focus of the league is entirely on trying to nail down a completed agreement to purchase in Phoenix.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=389234
JYDA está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 02:50 PM   #2325
Welkin

Likes (Received): 2

Yes, and I understand that Duluth Minnesota has an interest in a NFL franchise. I believe both cities have about an equal shot at obtaining their goal. It is fun to dream though.
Welkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 07:45 PM   #2326
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 4258

The ironic part is that they'd draw far better in Saskatoon than they would in Phoenix.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #2327
Welkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The ironic part is that they'd draw far better in Saskatoon than they would in Phoenix.
There is no doubt about that. They would probably sell out every game just like in Winnipeg. Unfortunately for NHL teams, gate receipts are usually far less than even player expenses and account for less than half of team revenue. You need a lot of corporate support to make an NHL team work and that would be an issue in Saskatoon. Hockey is a great sport but evidently a lousy business (unless you own the Leafs, Rangers or Canadiens) as according to Forbes, 18 NHL teams lost money last year.
Old March 4th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #2328
JYDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welkin View Post
18 NHL teams lost money last year.
And that's why I'm fearing another lockout
Old March 6th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #2329
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welkin View Post
There is no doubt about that. They would probably sell out every game just like in Winnipeg. Unfortunately for NHL teams, gate receipts are usually far less than even player expenses and account for less than half of team revenue. You need a lot of corporate support to make an NHL team work and that would be an issue in Saskatoon. Hockey is a great sport but evidently a lousy business (unless you own the Leafs, Rangers or Canadiens) as according to Forbes, 18 NHL teams lost money last year.
The over corporatization of professional sports has ruined them to a large degree. It's what I find so refreshing about the CFL and CIS. They're still to a large degree about the sport, the fan, and are accessible.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old March 10th, 2012, 06:08 AM   #2330
elly63

Duh, I've just clued in to my own post. On the previous page the two graphics of Mosaic stadium show the year 2012, 33,000 seat bowl configuration and the year 2013, ugly 50,000 seat temporary Grey Cup configuration. For some reason I thought the designs were one and the same (shown from different viewing angles)

The bowl design should look quite good and it will revert back to that after the Grey Cup.

For those who may be sceptical there's really no reason to think the new stadium will not go ahead. Mosaic will be getting a 14 million dollar "temporary" upgrade so it will not be a total embarrassment when it hosts the Grey Cup. This will also create new revenue streams and a better fan experience for the minimum four year period before the new stadium is completed.

The movers and shakers are still insisting upon a new stadium. Why would they do that if they weren't truly meaning to get a new stadium? They could just as easily announce the upgrade as the new solution and be done with it.

We know from experience that the Winnipeg stadium took almost 8 years from conception to completion so a completion date of 2016 for the new stadium may be overly ambitious. This relatively inexpensive renovation will see them through the four years and likely longer.

Last edited by elly63; March 10th, 2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old March 10th, 2012, 06:19 AM   #2331
elly63

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The over corporatization of professional sports has ruined them to a large degree. It's what I find so refreshing about the CFL and CIS. They're still to a large degree about the sport, the fan, and are accessible.
Amen, I don't think you are alone in that view.

There is a growing resentment of overpaid prima donnas or as the kids on the Internet say pre-Madonnas (sic). When fans start siding with greedy billionaire owners over greedy millionaire players you know there is a problem.

When you can't distinguish between A-Rod and Lady Gaga, sports has a problem. When ordinary folk who once were the backbone of professional teams are unable to afford a ticket and the arenas are half occupied by the corporate and IOC suit types (when they bother to show up), pro sports are out of touch.

The rapid growth of MMA is due to the genuine personalities and accessibility of the athletes. The big four had best beware they are rapidly pricing themselves out of the marketplace.
Old March 10th, 2012, 06:28 AM   #2332
isaidso
the new republic

MLB is the only one of the 4 that's still affordable, but it's lost its meaning to me as well. I don't go expecting my team to win and don't care too much if they do. We all know which teams will win the division before the season starts: owners buy championships. I go to sit out in the sun and eat a hot dog. Maybe I'll check out Inter-County League this year.

Old March 10th, 2012, 09:08 AM   #2333
isaidso
the new republic

I imagine they'll likely connect the ACC to Skydome underground once Southcore builds out.

Old March 10th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #2334
isaidso
the new republic

Bombers/Bisons stadium, Winnipeg

Courtesy of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers Football Club

Old March 19th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #2335
Kernowboy71

Likes (Received): 0

Realistically, if Toronto has aspirations to be a Summer Olympics host, then they need to consider how they could use any stadium post games as a legacy.

If Toronto were to build a 40,000 seat stadium in the Port Lands, then this could be used by the Argonauts as a home ground.

There is plenty of technology out there to make a stadium multi purpose.

1) The Stade de France has sliding stands which can be retracted to reveal a running track yet with stands in place is a perfect venue for Rugby Union

2) The new Singapore Sports Hub is employing similar technology

3) the Moses Mabhida stadium in Durban, South Africa has seating technology allowing additional seats to be easily added or removed allowing its normal 54,000 seats capacity to be increased to 80,000 for the Olympic games

A stadium of 40,000 (with retractable stands allowing a Track and Field capacity of 35,000) designed to add an extra 25,000-30,000 seats for a future Olympic games bid - the IOC require a minimum 60,000 seats at the main stadium, would seem to be ideal.
Kernowboy71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #2336
carnifex2005

Likes (Received): 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernowboy71 View Post
Realistically, if Toronto has aspirations to be a Summer Olympics host, then they need to consider how they could use any stadium post games as a legacy.

If Toronto were to build a 40,000 seat stadium in the Port Lands, then this could be used by the Argonauts as a home ground.

There is plenty of technology out there to make a stadium multi purpose.

1) The Stade de France has sliding stands which can be retracted to reveal a running track yet with stands in place is a perfect venue for Rugby Union

2) The new Singapore Sports Hub is employing similar technology

3) the Moses Mabhida stadium in Durban, South Africa has seating technology allowing additional seats to be easily added or removed allowing its normal 54,000 seats capacity to be increased to 80,000 for the Olympic games

A stadium of 40,000 (with retractable stands allowing a Track and Field capacity of 35,000) designed to add an extra 25,000-30,000 seats for a future Olympic games bid - the IOC require a minimum 60,000 seats at the main stadium, would seem to be ideal.
The problem is that if Toronto got the Olympics the legacy will be an NFL team. A 70,000+ stadium is the only thing holding back NFL from going to Toronto.
carnifex2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #2337
Lord David

Likes (Received): 61

If any future Toronto Olympic Stadium is going to be dual purpose (or triple purpose if retractable seating is used for the odd athletics meet), then why not propose a Vancouver BC Place approach?

Have the Toronto NFL team at full capacity, with the CFL Argonauts side using only the first tier, with tarps covering the 2nd one?
Lord David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #2338
Cjones2451

Likes (Received): 7

Saputo Stadium

Although it was great to see almost 59,000 in Montreal this weekend, does anyone have any update on the Saputo Stadium reno? The Montreal Impact's Facebook page has not been update in 2 months and this is supposed to be ready for June.....
Cjones2451 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #2339
JYDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjones2451 View Post
Although it was great to see almost 59,000 in Montreal this weekend, does anyone have any update on the Saputo Stadium reno? The Montreal Impact's Facebook page has not been update in 2 months and this is supposed to be ready for June.....
They showed some footage during the pre-game on saturday. My first impression was that it doesn't look like much has been done
Old March 20th, 2012, 01:05 AM   #2340
Welkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
The problem is that if Toronto got the Olympics the legacy will be an NFL team. A 70,000+ stadium is the only thing holding back NFL from going to Toronto.
It is going to take a lot more than just a 70,000 seat stadium for Toronto to ever get a NFL team. Don't forget that NFL teams can only be owned by individuals and not by corporations (no Rogers or MLSE need apply). So you would need either a team willing to move there (as opposed to moving to Los Angeles, London or San Antonio/Austin) or you would need a very wealthy individual with a spare couple of billion dollars (who would have to outbid all the other billionaires who also want to own a NFL team in their city) to buy a team and move it to Toronto. Considering how poorly the money losing "Bills in Toronto" series went, who would spend that kind of cash to bring a team to a city full of apathetic football fans. I don't know of any football crazy billionaires floating around Ontario looking to buy an NFL team. Even the NFL commissioner thinks that all the NFL in Toronto talk is dead.

Tags
canada, north america