daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #141
600West218

Likes (Received): 1346

question:

Isn't this supposed to be an industrial/manufacturing city?

If so, where is all the industry? I don't see ANY of it in these pictures. Without it the city seems sort of empty and devoid of purpose, even if very nice and clean.

Thanks for all the pics. I am enjoying them.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 14th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #142
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 1722

Great pics. They show impressive, modern and clean neighborhoods. What I find worrying however is the very spaciousness that looks nice on these pictures. I mean no question, this city looks well made for car traffic but it seems out of size for pedestrians in those CBD parts. I mean many roads can be only crossed grade separated and I guess you can end up spending 10 min just to get across such a road. As soon as all inhabitants are wealthy enough to own a car, this could end up to be a tragic place. Someone wrote before that Shenzen is a "car friendly" place, but as soon as a city reaches a certain development this becomes a curse because a car friendly city has a very hard time at being a pedestrian friendly city. I also don't think these grade separated crossings of those huge streets are great fun if you try to get somewhere by bike.

On the other hand the neighborhood with the lofts looked very nice, green and human scaled. I could imagine it to be pedestrian friendly as well. I hope Shenzen has more of that kind.
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #143
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 3666

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
question:

Isn't this supposed to be an industrial/manufacturing city?

If so, where is all the industry? I don't see ANY of it in these pictures. Without it the city seems sort of empty and devoid of purpose, even if very nice and clean.

Thanks for all the pics. I am enjoying them.
I think the industries (especially ones that pollute the air) are somewhere outside the city nowadays. The place I stayed (OCT) was a former industrial area that is now being converted into lofts. Post-industrial era is well underway in SZ it seems.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 01:13 AM   #144
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
Great pics. They show impressive, modern and clean neighborhoods. What I find worrying however is the very spaciousness that looks nice on these pictures. I mean no question, this city looks well made for car traffic but it seems out of size for pedestrians in those CBD parts. I mean many roads can be only crossed grade separated and I guess you can end up spending 10 min just to get across such a road. As soon as all inhabitants are wealthy enough to own a car, this could end up to be a tragic place. Someone wrote before that Shenzen is a "car friendly" place, but as soon as a city reaches a certain development this becomes a curse because a car friendly city has a very hard time at being a pedestrian friendly city. I also don't think these grade separated crossings of those huge streets are great fun if you try to get somewhere by bike.

On the other hand the neighborhood with the lofts looked very nice, green and human scaled. I could imagine it to be pedestrian friendly as well. I hope Shenzen has more of that kind.
Thank you!

From what you describe here it sounds more like Bangkok or KL rather than Shenzhen. I would completely disagree here regarding pedestrian friendliness.

I spent all day walking (well, as much as I physically could... I got so tired that my legs literally almost stopped working in the end). From what I saw and experienced, Shenzhen (along with Singapore) must be the most pedestrian friendly place I have ever been to: wide and spacious pedestrian sidewalks, elevated or underground crossings, loads (and I mean LOADS) of all kinds of open public spaces like parks, squares, fountains or just even more wide pedestrian walks with places to sit down and have a snack or just relax. Not to mention OCT itself... all this creates a very positive and safe atmosphere for pedestrians. To me at least this is what I describe as 'pedestrian friendly'. I didn't have any problems crossing streets because pedestrian crossing of some kind is always nearby and if you know where you are going it would never be a problem (it wasn't a problem to me either even though I didn't know where I was going and just walked around in random places).

The only city in Europe that I have been to which could at least remotely match it in terms of being pedestrian friendly was Munich. It's different by appearance but some planning ideas are somewhat similar.

Unless, of course, by pedestrian friendliness you mean senseless opposition to traffic by principle and all you want are narrow and inconvenient streets where pedestrians can (or are forced) to walk on the road and create chaos (like in London). Then it becomes neither pedestrian nor car friendly. It just becomes shit for everyone. Shenzhen, on the other hand, is great for pedestrians, great for cars and I would guess, fairly good for cyclists. I would think it would be a good idea to give more dedicated space to cyclists though. It's got the space that is so much of a problem in many other cities.

I'll try to illustrate what I mean by pedestrian friendly/unfriendly:

This is NOT pedestriand and NOT car friendly. Mind you, friednliness to pedestrian doesn't mean the same as 'can cross the street anywhere the **** I want'. This is not really important. In fact, it encourages people to act inappropriately and create dangerous situations for others. This picture shows a typical suburban street in London which is lined by buildings, narrow road (albeit this one is somewhat wide) and lacks things like greenery, places to sit down or simply the space to move around, no green lane between the street and pedestrian walk and no visual separation from buildings which makes things very cramped. It simply feels depressing, in some cases stressful and unpleasant to walk in a place like that.

This is a GOOD example of a pedestrian friendly (AND car freidnly... it can be both) environment:

It has plenty of space for pedestrian movement, lots of greenery around, the street is separated by a green lane and is lined with trees from both sides, lined with rubbish bins, and you will always find a place to sit down and have some rest. You can safely cross the street in a dedicated area. The grid planning nature of Shenzhen means that you will have to stick to the pattern of street blocks no matter how you go i.e. you will always have to go straight and or turn 90 degrees and go straight again. This makes crossing the street in safe dedicated places by far the most efficient way to move around. And pedestrian crossings are placed at every street crossing AND sometimes in-between.

Car traffic is organized in a very simple and effective way as well. All in all Shenzhen has implemented a very powerful, long sighted and efficient way of planning which is beneficial to BOTH pedestrians AND cars AND is pleasant and friendly to both.

The reason why I think I am competent to judge this is because I love driving AND walking and, in addition to that, commute on a daily basis by cycling on various kinds of busy roads. Therefore I instantly see and feel what is good and what isn't for each of these modes of moving around. In fact, this is the first thing I look in any city I go. Shenzhen is, if not perfect, then not far from that for all of these modes.

Last edited by Pansori; September 15th, 2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old September 15th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #145
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3681

Any updates?....
Old February 29th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #146
ILoveMichaelJackson

Likes (Received): 15

Thank you, nice thread, would you post some pictures of finished KingKey 100 please?
ILoveMichaelJackson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #147
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMichaelJackson View Post
Thank you, nice thread, would you post some pictures of finished KingKey 100 please?
Thank you. I would post pictures if I was in Shenzhen but unfortunately I won't get to SZ till at least some time next year.
Old March 5th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #148
hhhhh
BANNED

Likes (Received): 83

super cool city.
hhhhh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:11 AM   #149
Ribarca
In the brig

Likes (Received): 1074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Knowing your capabilities as a photographer I would be more than interested to see that happening!
Thanks Pansori! Once the Ping An tower is ready I'm on my way!
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #150
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
Thanks Pansori! Once the Ping An tower is ready I'm on my way!
That's going to be a while though. I hope to visit SZ before that happens. That city is too cool to wait so long.
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #151
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3681

nice thread...more pics please.
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #152
Ribarca
In the brig

Likes (Received): 1074

Quote:
That's going to be a while though. I hope to visit SZ before that happens. That city is too cool to wait so long.
Maybe you are right. It's so nearby. I have only been through it on my to China. Any tip for hotels with nice views?!
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #153
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
Maybe you are right. It's so nearby. I have only been through it on my to China. Any tip for hotels with nice views?!
I stayed in a ¥50 a night hostel in OCT which was the most pleasant place to stay during my travel experiences.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 04:10 PM   #154
VECTROTALENZIS
★★★★★★

Likes (Received): 1220

Quote:
View towards Luohu. This is the part of Shenzhen I didn't see
I think you missed one of the denser parts of Shenzhen. You have only been to one fifth of Shenzhen actually. Shenzhen has much more to offer than what you saw. You must go back and se everything and you are going to be even more impressed of the city.
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2012, 06:09 PM   #155
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post
I think you missed one of the denser parts of Shenzhen. You have only been to one fifth of Shenzhen actually. Shenzhen has much more to offer than what you saw. You must go back and se everything and you are going to be even more impressed of the city.
I spent only one day in Shenzhen... I'm planning to come back. Maybe early next year.
Old September 24th, 2012, 12:36 AM   #156
VECTROTALENZIS
★★★★★★

Likes (Received): 1220

How arrive at Shenzhen's airport? or HK's?
Which airline was it?
During which month of the year did you made this trip?
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 01:33 AM   #157
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post
How arrive at Shenzhen's airport? or HK's?
Which airline was it?
During which month of the year did you made this trip?
I arrived to Shenzhen with AirAsia. At that time (May 2011) there wasn't a metro line yet. As I understand that part of the airport will be shut once the T3 opens.
Old October 16th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #158
teddybear
City Reformist

Likes (Received): 104

Thank you Pansori for sharing your wonderful travel photos! Shenzhen is marvelous!
Old October 17th, 2012, 03:40 AM   #159
Ipiales
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

great!
Ipiales no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asia, china, shenzhen