daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Sri Lanka > Tourism, Photos & Heritage

Tourism, Photos & Heritage Showcasing Sri Lanka to the world beyond

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 19th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #701
kanchana29

Likes (Received): 0

hi guys checkout my youtube channel, i am currently in progress of processing and uploading around 40hrs of video of driving around the country and colombo night and day time where i have recorded road conditions inc complete colombo to galle of the highway , the channel is http://www.youtube.com/user/kanchana29 also please Visit my blog @ http://blog.kancando.com for more stuff on sri lanka, the blog is dedicated to my exploration of our island home!
kanchana29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 1st, 2012, 01:07 PM   #702
Amal

Likes (Received): 344

Some more nice pics:

Pics: Davo Muttiah

Last edited by Amal; February 1st, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
Amal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:46 PM   #703
kanchana29

Hey everyone check out my blog entry about places to see in sri lanka http://kancando.blogspot.com/2012/01...sri-lanka.html

and also my flicker album on Colombo at night, more pictures will be added soon! http://www.flickr.com/photos/kancand...7628507969187/
kanchana29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #704
mrpanini

Likes (Received): 191

Late seventies?

mrpanini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 01:22 AM   #705
British-Bangladeshi

Well done Sri Lanka, Colombo looks very beautiful....
British-Bangladeshi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #706
sjinadasa
SL

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanini View Post
What's that old building in the place where Galadari is now situated ? What sort of a moron would approve the demolition of such a building to erect the current monstrosity
sjinadasa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 06:29 AM   #707
saraprobe

Likes (Received): 252

Diyawanna walkway and leisure area unveiled for public

Defence.lk
Old February 27th, 2012, 06:32 AM   #708
saraprobe

Old February 27th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #709
FazilLanka

Likes (Received): 1

Amazing transformation now in Colombo and even in outskirts of Capital.We still have a long way to go but the progressing trend is a positive direction.
FazilLanka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #710
Mace

Likes (Received): 3

Great photos.

Sri Lanka certainly has potential to become the first developed country in South Asia. All the vital stats are there – high literacy, high life expectancy, low infant mortality, replacement level fertility rate, educated populace, decent infrastructure, excellent geography and location. Sri Lanka doesn’t have the crippling poverty, mass illiteracy, malnutrition, or overpopulation of India.

With the right leadership Sri Lanka is ripe for economic takeoff and it looks like it’s taking off with 8% + economic growth since the war ended. Wth sustained growth it can reach First World status.

Do you foresee Sri Lanka becoming a developed country by 2030? If not, why not? If South Korea (which started off at a lower base than Sri Lanka in the 70s) managed this why not SL?
Mace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 06:03 AM   #711
saraprobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace View Post
Great photos.

Sri Lanka certainly has potential to become the first developed country in South Asia. All the vital stats are there – high literacy, high life expectancy, low infant mortality, replacement level fertility rate, educated populace, decent infrastructure, excellent geography and location. Sri Lanka doesn’t have the crippling poverty, mass illiteracy, malnutrition, or overpopulation of India.

With the right leadership Sri Lanka is ripe for economic takeoff and it looks like it’s taking off with 8% + economic growth since the war ended. Wth sustained growth it can reach First World status.

Do you foresee Sri Lanka becoming a developed country by 2030? If not, why not? If South Korea (which started off at a lower base than Sri Lanka in the 70s) managed this why not SL?
The only issue i can see here is that stiff labor laws prevail in sri lanka, power cost and rift with the west which usually thrive the investments where we have seen rest of the country.
This is my manifesto if we are to become a first world country.

*Amend labour laws and make it investor friendly

*hunt for cheap energy option , possibly nuclear energy , one big arse plant should be enough for at least another decade

* Reconciliation and change the SL's constitution accordingly and impalement and action an effective human right plan in long run but must me done quickly as possible
Old February 28th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #712
Praetorian

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Great photos.

In Sri Lanka there is unfortunately a short sighted, short term selfish mentality present in all levels and strata's of society which has been cemented as a permanent feature thanks to democracy.

People only think about the today and satisfying the now, they care little for the future or next week and do things without much foresight and without ever being bothered about the consequences. This is why the war took so long, why important macro infrastructure projects are happening now when they should have been done decades ago and why driving is a nightmare.

Until the mentality of the people change, Sri Lanka will not at least any time soon.

Last edited by Praetorian; February 28th, 2012 at 04:19 PM.
Praetorian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #713
Praetorian

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraprobe View Post
The only issue i can see here is that stiff labor laws prevail in sri lanka, power cost and rift with the west which usually thrive the investments where we have seen rest of the country.
This is my manifesto if we are to become a first world country.

*Amend labour laws and make it investor friendly

*hunt for cheap energy option , possibly nuclear energy , one big arse plant should be enough for at least another decade

* Reconciliation and change the SL's constitution accordingly and impalement and action an effective human right plan in long run but must me done quickly as possible

Quote:
and rift with the west
There would be no "rift" if we were constantly on our knees and went around saying "yes bass, sorry bass". We'd have "great relations" then. The war would still be there and the country would be stuck in the same rut it has been since the 70s and 80s going nowhere. Is that what you would prefer? It is the "price" we pay for our independence and doing what is in our interests.

Quote:
Reconciliation and change the SL's constitution accordingly and impalement and action an effective human right plan in long run but must me done quickly as possible
There is no "human rights" problem in Sri Lanka. What Sri Lanka has like in any other country are criminal activities PLUS poverty being passed off as "human rights violations" for various propaganda efforts and again due to the Wests frustrations and bitterness that Sri Lanka is not saying "yes bass, sorry bass" like good little brown people.

"Reconciliation" works BOTH ways. Thus far nothing from the Tamil side (i.e. from those who endlessly complain) apart from the usual demanding and taking without giving anything back.

There should be NO RUSH for any "political solution" or constitution change regarding this. What is this obsessive rush to get things through on this front? We went through 30 years of war and now people want to rush a "solution" to a decade old "problem" without discussion and debate. Do we really know what the "problem" even is? How can we prescribe a solution to an unspecified problem? We need long time, long term discussion and debate to hammer all the details out. Those who demand a rushed solution NOW are afraid that if there is proper discussion and debate people will discover that there is no real problem, and that the “problem” (i.e. Tamil whining) since its inception has been built on arrogance, artificial claims and nothing genuine.

Last edited by Praetorian; February 28th, 2012 at 04:32 PM.
Praetorian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #714
FazilLanka

Likes (Received): 1

Are We Ready??

Quote:
Great photos.

I didn’t want to get in to the political argument here. To be a 1st developed nation by 2030 really depend on well defined long tem goals have been put to practice and what are the strategies and remedies to tackle any unseen economical and political disturbances. Can Sri Lanka put forward in one direction to achieve the single goal of achieving the status of a developed nation? That’s all depend on how the mass is motivated and political leaders and professional bodies are line with accelerating the development goals.
My major concern is alienating from the West is not in our interest. Though we see some Chinese and Indian Investments have come to Sri Lanka, we still need a large amount of investment from West in the manufacturing, health Care, Education and R&D, and other sector of service industries. Private sector is the key to boost economic independence that means we need to bring well recognized companies to do the business here without putting tighter regulations. How Singapore, Malaysia, and even Korea have done.

Last edited by FazilLanka; March 2nd, 2012 at 08:02 AM. Reason: GR
FazilLanka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 12:52 AM   #715
banuthev
~ Sri Lanka ~

Likes (Received): 8

Very nice Colombo Pictures .. Thanks for sharing !!
banuthev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 07:13 AM   #716
ramendu.ganguly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Honestly you people going on and on about how dirty the rest of S. Asia is and How clean Sri Lanka is, I went to Sri Lanka a few months ago, and I'll admit, Colombo is relative clean compared to "most" South Asian Cities. But, the whole country is not like that. Kandy seemed okay at parts, but on the whole was no different to most Indian cities. Same with Galle. Wide roads, good infrastructure, and cleanliness are relatively rare in lankan cities outside Colombo.

Mumbai is dirty in parts, and clean and organized in others, and most of our metros are like that. In Delhi and Kolkata, infrastructure and cleanliness are very good in many places, but not all. Bangalore is more or less cleaner and more organized than Colombo. On the whole, Colombo is probably more orderly and organized than most of our main metros.

But if you see some mid-sized indian cities like Ahmedabad,Kochi, Trivandrum, Baroda, Surat, Chandigarh, Nagpur, Pune, Jaipur and quite a few others, you will see that they are just as clean if not cleaner and more organized than Colombo. Also, most of these cities are bigger than Colombo.

I don't want to start an argument over whose country is better, but I've seen a lot of people in this thread so some nasty things about India, so I just wanted to set things straight.
ramendu.ganguly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 07:19 AM   #717
ramendu.ganguly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

BTW, I have nothing against Sri Lanka or its people. North Indians, South Indians, Sri Lankans all can trace their roots to a common source, and our culture is very similar.

Even as a North Indian, when I visit Sri Lanka, I don't feel like I'm in a foreign land like when I'm in Europe, China, etc. We have a lot in common, and that should bring us closer.

That's why all these unnecessary remarks about calling one country filthy and saying the other country is superior is all unnecessary. Let's just set aside our differences and be friends.
ramendu.ganguly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 11:10 PM   #718
Mace

Likes (Received): 3

Driving through Colombo, Sri Lanka.

Colombo looks clean, green, and well-developed!
Mace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #719
EshE

Likes (Received): 81

Colombo the Green City.. Nice video..
EshE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #720
Amal

Likes (Received): 344

Pics: Janesha B

Vesak festivities..

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Pics: Mahesh_F

image hosted on flickr

Pics: Gane

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Amal; May 12th, 2012 at 09:42 AM.
Amal no está en línea   Reply With Quote