daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > City Images, Architecture & Historic themes

City Images, Architecture & Historic themes Photos, Archi-talk & History.



Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 28th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #3061
Melb_SuperTall
Registered User
 
Melb_SuperTall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 598
Likes (Received): 12

Its just the angle of the shot that makes it seem smaller. I can see so much redevelopment/new development potential in the SW CBD. It would be good if the ugly complex.. I think that's the wtc could be demolished and turned back into parkland as I think it would be great for the part of the city.

Excellent shots btw!
Melb_SuperTall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old February 29th, 2012, 12:36 AM   #3062
PD
perthistan
 
PD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Perth, AUS
Posts: 3,651
Likes (Received): 809

I think it may be also due to thefact that tje lighting on the bigger building hide all the smaller one's and so melbs true density is not shown.
__________________
FuturePerth
PD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 01:00 AM   #3063
t3mpz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perth
Posts: 99
Likes (Received): 0

Because it's not showing southbank?
t3mpz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #3064
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city
 
Fabian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 35,251
Likes (Received): 1037

Southbank is there. I think the fact its taken from a fair way above street level which makes it look smaller.
__________________
Find out why Sydney has become the city that it is today:

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:09 AM   #3065
Dockside
Registered User
 
Dockside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Inner Melbourne
Posts: 3,756
Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Southbank is there. I think the fact its taken from a fair way above street level which makes it look smaller.
About 1/4 of Southbank is visible, not near the lot of it..
Dockside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #3066
Dimethyltryptamine
Pop culture is my bitch
 
Dimethyltryptamine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,994
Likes (Received): 3268

image hosted on flickr

The Story Bridge by Jacob Schneider, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Panoramic Brisbane by denniseagles, on Flickr
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #3067
Dimethyltryptamine
Pop culture is my bitch
 
Dimethyltryptamine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,994
Likes (Received): 3268

image hosted on flickr

On a clear day.... by john cowper, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

DSCN2707 by stormdog, on Flickr
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #3068
Dimethyltryptamine
Pop culture is my bitch
 
Dimethyltryptamine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,994
Likes (Received): 3268

image hosted on flickr

Little Boxes by mylittlepixels, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Melbourne by nikon_rules, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Brighton bathing boxes and Melbourne skyline by jozioau, on Flickr
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #3069
DZH22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 969
Likes (Received): 174

Some really nice skylines there in Australia. They remind me of Canadian skylines, only the warm-weather versions. Both countries punch above their weight in terms of skylines to population. (for instance, my city, Boston, would be the biggest in Australia but has had skyline stagnation for years)

At *this point*, the least interesting (major) skyline on these pages has to be Sydney. It has gone the longest without a game-changing tower, and seems to almost shrink every year as the rest of the cities grow so dramatically (kind of like my city!!!). It must make some of you Sydney'ers (terminology?) completely nuts to know that Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast, and Perth all have towers that not only surpass yours (in height), but also surpass your arbitrarily low height limit!
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #3070
Mornnb
Registered User
 
Mornnb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 6,145
Likes (Received): 1562

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
At *this point*, the least interesting (major) skyline on these pages has to be Sydney. It has gone the longest without a game-changing tower, and seems to almost shrink every year as the rest of the cities grow so dramatically (kind of like my city!!!). It must make some of you Sydney'ers (terminology?) completely nuts to know that Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast, and Perth all have towers that not only surpass yours (in height), but also surpass your arbitrarily low height limit!
Yes it does drive us nuts, the government is awful. But Sydney still has the most interesting, biggest and dense skyline in the country. And plenty of skyscrapers are on the way, Barangaroo and 115 Bathurst Street which will be the cities tallest. We're doing okay in spite of having the most restrictive and development hostile government in the country. The only serious competition is Melbourne, which is still isn't close in density and number of skyscrapers but if something is not done to fix the government Sydney will fall behind.


The CBD together with the suburban skylines:

image hosted on flickr

Sydney Aerial Coastline by pablo808, on Flickr



image hosted on flickr

Sydney skyline from above by meironke, on Flickr
__________________
500px
flickr

Last edited by Mornnb; March 1st, 2012 at 02:53 PM.
Mornnb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #3071
Samuel77
Registered User
 
Samuel77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: omnipresent
Posts: 1,672
Likes (Received): 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Some really nice skylines there in Australia. They remind me of Canadian skylines, only the warm-weather versions. Both countries punch above their weight in terms of skylines to population. (for instance, my city, Boston, would be the biggest in Australia but has had skyline stagnation for years)

At *this point*, the least interesting (major) skyline on these pages has to be Sydney. It has gone the longest without a game-changing tower, and seems to almost shrink every year as the rest of the cities grow so dramatically (kind of like my city!!!). It must make some of you Sydney'ers (terminology?) completely nuts to know that Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast, and Perth all have towers that not only surpass yours (in height), but also surpass your arbitrarily low height limit!
Pretty accurate summary. However even though Mornnb says Sydney has the densest and largest cbd in Oz (it is true), I think Melbourne is only marginally smaller but is the best in the country.

And I believe the terminology is Sydneysiders. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Samuel77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 07:40 AM   #3072
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city
 
Fabian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 35,251
Likes (Received): 1037

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornnb View Post
Yes it does drive us nuts, the government is awful. But Sydney still has the most interesting, biggest and dense skyline in the country. And plenty of skyscrapers are on the way, Barangaroo and 115 Bathurst Street which will be the cities tallest. We're doing okay in spite of having the most restrictive and development hostile government in the country. The only serious competition is Melbourne, which is still isn't close in density and number of skyscrapers but if something is not done to fix the government Sydney will fall behind.


The CBD together with the suburban skylines:

image hosted on flickr

Sydney Aerial Coastline by pablo808, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr

Sydney skyline from above by meironke, on Flickr
The towers at Barangaroo will be game changing for sure.
__________________
Find out why Sydney has become the city that it is today:

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 10:20 AM   #3073
mobus
Registered User
 
mobus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 6,212
Likes (Received): 3380


Melbourne looks like it has dozens more skyscrapers and high-rises than Sydney, yet it doesn't. So weird.
mobus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 01:44 PM   #3074
zulu69
selling my body since 88'
 
zulu69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,230
Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobus View Post
Melbourne looks like it has dozens more skyscrapers and high-rises than Sydney, yet it doesn't. So weird.
Really?











__________________
Sydney: Australia's NYC.
Form is Temporary. Class is permanent.
YNWA.
zulu69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 02:33 PM   #3075
Mornnb
Registered User
 
Mornnb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 6,145
Likes (Received): 1562

Sydney has more but they're packed closer together.


http://stereophotographer.blogspot.c...1_archive.html

Good view aerial view of King Street in Newtown here too:



image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flaneur...n/photostream/

image hosted on flickr

IMG_1274 by Vijay Anand ., on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Sydney Skyline by craigd13, on Flickr
__________________
500px
flickr

Last edited by Mornnb; March 1st, 2012 at 02:57 PM.
Mornnb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 01:25 PM   #3076
fox1
original
 
fox1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Osaka
Posts: 1,175
Likes (Received): 33

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/noelsmyth/6819313785/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/froilan...te/6810185375/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bencue/6741118177/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65700916@N04/6610126863/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markusgebauer/6417748685/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pekoism/816156650/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaredbazley/2811284198/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/caut/3454450454/
__________________
OSAKA rocks the world!...it's scary how much Osaka rocks.
fox1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 08:36 AM   #3077
asdfg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,224
Likes (Received): 253

asdfg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:52 AM   #3078
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city
 
Fabian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 35,251
Likes (Received): 1037

For the record (March, 2012) Sydney has 937 highrise buildings compared to 580 in Melbourne.

Fox1 - Those skyline shots of Brisbane have already been posted.
__________________
Find out why Sydney has become the city that it is today:

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:24 AM   #3079
Dimethyltryptamine
Pop culture is my bitch
 
Dimethyltryptamine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,994
Likes (Received): 3268

Fabian = Goran 2.0 lol?

It's been a while since they were posted, and admittedly they are nice shots

Last edited by Dimethyltryptamine; March 3rd, 2012 at 11:29 AM.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 04:19 AM   #3080
asdfg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,224
Likes (Received): 253

image hosted on flickr

Brisbane - From Dusk Till Dawn by chriskara, on Flickr

I think this is from the same guy as a pic Dime posted last week.
asdfg no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
adelaide, auckland, australia, brisbane, cairns, christchurch, gold coast, mandurahboyz, melbourne, new zealand, newcastle, perth, queensland, sydney, townsville, wellington

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu