daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > New York City

New York City Development News | WTC | Naked NY

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2012, 04:00 AM   #1
urbanlife78

Likes (Received): 7

Moving to NYC!!

Well almost, it looks like we will be moving to Bayonne, NJ for a few months or for the summer until we get settled, find jobs, and find a place in Brooklyn. A friend of ours' roommate is moving out so everything seems to be perfect timing for us.

Should be getting to NYC by early to mid May and will probably get to take the month of May off before looking for work cause our rent is lower than what I am paying in Portland, and we should have ourselves a little nest egg of cash before we get there to make the transaction a little easier on us.

So hopefully things will work out for us and we will be long term residents of NYC....though I never thought I would ever be living in New Jersey, not even for a few months, but whatever, we will make the most out of it.
urbanlife78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 16th, 2012, 04:05 AM   #2
Nexis
Greetings form New Jersey

Likes (Received): 1302

Bayonne is a Suburb - City , Quiet , yet a dense city. Safe , very little crime , great public Transit , a few nice waterfront parks , and decent shopping.... You might want to stay in Bayonne , rents in Brooklyn are higher then 1500$ in the good areas...
Copy and Paste the code from the Photo onto the forum.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #3
urbanlife78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Bayonne is a Suburb - City , Quiet , yet a dense city. Safe , very little crime , great public Transit , a few nice waterfront parks , and decent shopping.... You might want to stay in Bayonne , rents in Brooklyn are higher then 1500$ in the good areas...
Bayonne will definitely be our stepping stone neighborhood, from what I have heard it sort of has a dense small town feel to it, which will make the transition nice. But overall, our plan is to move into the city, we have been looking at the Northwestern part of Crown Heights for a while. And living in Bayonne while we get settled in and look for jobs will make it much easier to apartment hunt in NYC and be able to see places first hand and that day rather than try and look for a place to live 3000 miles away.

Plus I think my gf is going to enjoy living with one of her friends for a little bit, even if the apartment we will be sharing is super tiny for three people and a little dog.
Old February 18th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #4
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 485

What kind of jobs are you and your GF expecting to get? How much money do you think you'll make?

I'm curious about this solely for my own purposes.
Old February 19th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #5
urbanlife78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
What kind of jobs are you and your GF expecting to get? How much money do you think you'll make?

I'm curious about this solely for my own purposes.
Well she is hoping to get an office job with her background, we are ballparking $40-60K. And my income will depend on the job, I want to find something in architecture, which will probably pay very little, but I also have been working in hotels for a long time and should be able to find a job in that with tips until I can find something better in architecture. So I could be tacking on another $20-40K depending on what happens with me.
Old February 19th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #6
Nexis

100k is great on the NJ side , but between the higher taxes and costing living a couple on the NY side might become frustrated. Between the Taxes and cost of living you might lose 20-24k of your income in NYC. The average in Urban Jersey varies from 15-17k. With gas going up NYC , cost of food gets hit first which eats into your income.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:21 AM   #7
urbanlife78

Quote:
100k is great on the NJ side , but between the higher taxes and costing living a couple on the NY side might become frustrated. Between the Taxes and cost of living you might lose 20-24k of your income in NYC. The average in Urban Jersey varies from 15-17k. With gas going up NYC , cost of food gets hit first which eats into your income.
Oh yeah, NYC isn't going to be cheap by any means, but if we let that be our deterrent, then this move would of never happened.
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #8
urbanlife78

Well it looks like it is a done deal, we will be moving to Bayonne in a couple months for the summer, then once we get settled we will be looking for a place over on Classon in Crown Heights, we were definitely much more impressed with that area on the second visit.
Old March 1st, 2012, 03:45 PM   #9
Nexis

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well it looks like it is a done deal, we will be moving to Bayonne in a couple months for the summer, then once we get settled we will be looking for a place over on Classon in Crown Heights, we were definitely much more impressed with that area on the second visit.
Crown heights are you kidding me , that's one of the more dangerous areas of Brooklyn like East New York , yes its changing but its still got alot of racial issues....and crime spikes every now and then.
Old March 1st, 2012, 06:17 PM   #10
urbanlife78

Quote:
Crown heights are you kidding me , that's one of the more dangerous areas of Brooklyn like East New York , yes its changing but its still got alot of racial issues....and crime spikes every now and then.
And this is why I like that neighborhood, it is a huge neighborhood, maybe even too big to be just one neighborhood. But the good thing is that when you say that name it scares off most New Yorkers and keeps the rents pretty stable and the northwestern part of Crown Heights has more in common with Prospect Heights than it does Crown Heights.

I have made a couple trips over there so far and have really liked the atmosphere and have yet to feel the least bit unsafe on Washington, Classon, and Franklin.
Old March 1st, 2012, 09:04 PM   #11
tpe

Likes (Received): 695

Good to see you on your way, urbanlife78. And it is good to make the move in stages. May is not that far off, to be sure, but looks like you have everything thought out.

Good luck!
tpe está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 09:07 AM   #12
urbanlife78

We have been doing the math with our money and we could live in Bayonne for almost a year without jobs, so that definitely takes the pressure off finding work, which shouldn't take either of us that long to do. Of course when we move to Brooklyn we better have a good amount of income coming in to stay afloat.

But yeah, the whole moving in stages has definitely made everything about this so much easier.
Old March 5th, 2012, 04:54 AM   #13
tpe

It's good to be conservative with your resources, and having the reserves set aside is a very good idea. I hope you can find jobs quickly enough so you don't have to burn out most of what you have set aside. It helps a lot that you are going about this move very deliberately.

In spite of costs and adjustments, I trust that you will enjoy yourselves here. I'm sure you'll miss many things about the Portland area (this is where you are coming from correct?), but hope you will find other things here to tip the scales decisively.
Old March 10th, 2012, 06:45 AM   #14
urbanlife78

Yeah, now that everything seems to be falling into place, this move is already starting to look easier. Heck, I even have a friend here in Portland who has a friend in NYC that might be able to get me a job with the company he works for, which would be an easy, fun job for me which would be a very nice change of pace from what I have been doing this past decade.
Old March 10th, 2012, 08:13 AM   #15
tpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yeah, now that everything seems to be falling into place, this move is already starting to look easier. Heck, I even have a friend here in Portland who has a friend in NYC that might be able to get me a job with the company he works for, which would be an easy, fun job for me which would be a very nice change of pace from what I have been doing this past decade.
Whatever the pace, you must try to have some time to enjoy what the city has to offer. It's curious that many people live very narrow lives here -- in spite of everything that is open/accessible to them. It's the greatest irony of living here, IMO. Don't fall into this trap.
Old March 10th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #16
Nexis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpe View Post
Whatever the pace, you must try to have some time to enjoy what the city has to offer. It's curious that many people live very narrow lives here -- in spite of everything that is open/accessible to them. It's the greatest irony of living here, IMO. Don't fall into this trap.
Hench why most New Yorkers bash New Jersey to death , the reason behind is that they've never left New York to Explore New Jersey and then rumors of course swirl and the Media seems to hate Jersey and we get stereotyped.
Old March 10th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #17
urbanlife78

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpe View Post
Oh yeah, I am all about exploring and taking in the area I am living in. It is actually funny with my friends there, the ones that are from NYC tend to never want to go outside of their neighborhood or burrough, and the ones that are transplants are much easier to talk into going anywhere.

Yeah, while living in Bayonne, I plan on taking in what the Jersey side has to offer as much as what the rest of NYC will provide.
Old March 11th, 2012, 07:04 AM   #18
tpe

Well, it is unfortunate that many here do seem to lack curiosity. I do tend to agree that certain groups of transplants -- especially those without the preconceptions common to people who have lived most of their lives around these parts -- tend to be more inquisitive and open-minded when it comes to exploring other areas besides Manhattan or their particular neighborhoods.