daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Economy, Infrastructure and Transportation > Business, Economy and Services

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2012, 11:42 PM   #81
greenandgold
Zebras in My Stadium

Likes (Received): 123

watched Safe House. it was quite good, I loved the Langa scenes of jumping over the shacks... lol.. Although the movie doesn't really give reason why its all happening here but somewhat it was a personal relief to watch a South African shot movie without reference to South African apartheid history all that tired story line.... As for Denzel (who partly wrote the movie) and the director, well done on the movie given the budget and the experience of the director which was his first movie outside Europe.
greenandgold no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 29th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #82
old school

Likes (Received): 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydon View Post
The red MyCiTi lanes visible on the right outside the Civic Centre Station

What's wrong with Ryan Reynold's accent in Afrikaans?????

Pinot Noir, Pinotage, Panache...
old school no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 08:59 AM   #83
Lydon

Likes (Received): 2392

Quote:
Originally Posted by old school View Post
What's wrong with Ryan Reynold's accent in Afrikaans?????

Pinot Noir, Pinotage, Panache...
I never said there was anything wrong with it...I said it was "hilarious." It was so unexpected.
Old February 29th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #84
old school

Quote:
I never said there was anything wrong with it...I said it was "hilarious." It was so unexpected.

OK, got it...

Thanks...

Pinot Gris, Malbec, Chablis...
Old March 1st, 2012, 08:57 AM   #85
Lydon

Old March 1st, 2012, 10:31 AM   #86
Diggerdog

Likes (Received): 837

Quote:
OK, got it...

Thanks...

Pinot Gris, Malbec, Chablis...
Hey old school, what's with the grape names? Big wine drinker?

Malbec and Carmenyere make the most delicious reds in the world, IMO, when they originate from Argentina and Chile, obviously.
And Pinot Gris/Grigio for whites.

But a good chenin here at home gets me through, especially at the price, and Fairview on it's own could keep me wine-happy for decades!
Old March 2nd, 2012, 09:19 PM   #87
old school

Quote:
Just surprised you liked something made in the US of A...

Old March 2nd, 2012, 09:20 PM   #88
old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggerdog View Post
Hey old school, what's with the grape names? Big wine drinker?

Malbec and Carmenyere make the most delicious reds in the world, IMO, when they originate from Argentina and Chile, obviously.
And Pinot Gris/Grigio for whites.

But a good chenin here at home gets me through, especially at the price, and Fairview on it's own could keep me wine-happy for decades!
Thanks for the tip; I'll go on the hunt this weekend...

Cheers...
Old March 2nd, 2012, 09:39 PM   #89
Lydon

Quote:
Just surprised you liked something made in the US of A...
Me? How come?
Old March 3rd, 2012, 12:54 AM   #90
old school

Quote:
Me? How come?
Because, you've said the world could get along fine without the US of A and have NEVER said anything positive about the US of A on Oasis that I'm aware of...

No worries, mate; I like South Africa...

Peace...
Old March 3rd, 2012, 09:41 AM   #91
Lydon

Quote:
Because, you've said the world could get along fine without the US of A and have NEVER said anything positive about the US of A on Oasis that I'm aware of...

No worries, mate; I like South Africa...

Peace...
Erm...you're clearly confusing me with someone else I'm usually the one telling people to stop hating on the US and find something better to do.
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:00 PM   #92
ZATUGA

Location: Macon - France, Viana do Castelo - Portugal, Johannesburg - South Africa
Likes (Received): 6

Sean Bean to star in 'Devil's Peak' trilogy: Series is based on South African author Deon Meyer's novels

Sean Bean has been set to topline a trilogy of "Devil's Peak" films, based on South African author Deon Meyer's novels.

Bean will portray Detective Benny Griessel, the protagonist of the thriller series that begins with "Devil's Peak." Other entries include "13 Hours" and "7 Days."

Ads by Google

Producers are Malcolm Kohll ("Formula 51"); Michael S. Murphey ("District 9," "Dredd"), through his Kalahari Pictures banner; and Ofir Kedar ("A Thousand Kisses Deep").

Hersch Klaff, Robbie Little and Robert Fig will exec produce. Little's the Little Film Co. is handling international sales for the trilogy and will introduce the project to foreign buyers for the first time in Cannes.

Producers are eyeing a September start date for principal photography on the first installment. The film will be shot in Cape Town, South Africa.

"I believe that Deon Meyer will do for the South African thriller what Stieg Larsson did for the Scandinavian crime novel," Kohll said.

Murphey's producing credits include "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" and "A Nightmare on Elm Street: Freddie's Revenge." He formed Kalahari Pictures in 2002.

The Little Film Co.'s international sales slate includes "Defiant," starring Toni Collette and Dev Patel, and romantic comedy "Ameriqua," starring Bobby Kennedy III, Alec Baldwin, Alessandra Mastronardi and Eva Amurri. The company's sked also includes "The Clinic," "Beneath the Darkness," "Coming and Going" "Northern Soul" and "Eye of the Storm." The Little Film Co. is also handling sales for select territories on "Dracula 3D" -- an official selection of the Cannes Film Festival (Midnight Screening).
Old July 4th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #93
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 412

John Cleese back for Spud 2
2012-07-04 14:41

Cape Town – British actor John Cleese is again set to play The Guv in the second Spud movie titled Spud: The Madness Continues .

The producers of the hit movie based on John van de Ruit's popular series of novels, announced that writer-producer Donovan Marsh will return to the director's chair and most of the original cast will be back to reprise their roles.

"The first film did really well, topping the box office during the summer holidays in 2010," says producer Ross Garland.

"The movie has also received significant international interest, with sales to the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Scandinavia, Turkey and the Middle East.

Rob van Vuuren

"We've had significant support from a pool of local investors for the sequel, illustrating South Africa’s strong affection for the Spud series."

Along with British screen legend John Cleese, who returns for Spud 2 as The Guv; South African-born, Australia-based teenager Troye Sivan returns in the title role as John 'Spud' Milton, as well as the rest of the Crazy 7 (minus Gecko, who died in the first movie).

Jason Cope returns as malicious housemaster Sparerib, Tanit Phoenix as the seductive Eve, Jeremy Crutchley as headmaster Mr Glockenshpeel and Aaron McIlroy and Julie Summers as Spud's mad parents.

Spud: 2 will also feature a cameo performance from Rob van Vuuren, revealed co-producer Brad Logan.

The second movie sees Spud Milton return to boarding school where he is no longer the smallest nor youngest boy in the hostel and presents to him (and his now Crazy Eight crew) new challenges.

The producers have been hard at work casting some of the new roles in Spud 2, with the three prefects Anderson, Emberton and Death Breath, a highlight.

Spud: The Madness Continues is currently being filmed in Kwazulu-Natal.

http://www.channel24.co.za/Movies/Ne...pud-2-20120703
Old July 4th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #94
NaijaSwag

Likes (Received): 1232

How come RSA movies are not that popular in other parts of Africa? I mean we get bollywood movies and hollywood, why is SA films not popular?
NaijaSwag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #95
RODDAS

Likes (Received): 3404

Old July 4th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #96
NaijaSwag

what roddas?
Old July 4th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #97
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 412

do they get released there? Bollywood is a totally different scale to what we do in terms of home grown movies.
Old July 4th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #98
NaijaSwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysan1 View Post
do they get released there? Bollywood is a totally different scale to what we do in terms of home grown movies.
No, but bollywood movies doesn't get released either.

But maybe you guys need to do a good job of advertising to more african countries! Nigerian nollywood is all over africa well apart from north africa lol, some south africans enjoy naija movies.
Old July 4th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #99
RODDAS

Likes (Received): 3404

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaijaSwag View Post
No, but bollywood movies doesn't get released either.

But maybe you guys need to do a good job of advertising to more african countries! Nigerian nollywood is all over africa well apart from north africa lol, some south africans enjoy naija movies.
Not just African countries. SA produces a lot of good quality stuff like; music, movies etc. they just don't promote them. every time i go there i discover so much that would cater well to UK market.

I bought a Lira Cd years back and all my friends in the UK was fighting me for it. SA needs to promote more. Also, develop a film industry akin to nollywood. low budget films of good quality telling true to life stories. flood the market with them, this will in turn help nollywood to develop quality-wise.

I've seen a couple trailers for SA films on you-tube via SSC, non of them are promoted or shown outside SA, or are they?
Old July 4th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #100
Lydon

Charlize to cause a stir in Cape Town
July 2 2012

SOUTH African-born Oscar-winning actress Charlize Theron is expected in the city for part of the filming of Mad Max 4: Fury Road later this year.

The first Mad Max post-apocalyptic film directed and written by George Miller and Byron Kennedy was shot as an Australian action movie and released in 1979, then Mad Max 2, also known as The Road Warrior, in 1981 and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome in 1985.

Replacing Mel Gibson who played the part of the apocalyptic anti-hero, Tom Hardy has been cast to play Max Rockatansky. Other celebrities joining the pair include Nicholas Hoult and Zoe Kravitz.

Theron has shaved her head for her role as Furiosa, an original character in the series, ahead of filming in Swakopmund, where most of the scenes will be shot before moving to Cape Town.

It is not clear whether her character is good or evil, but reports by media stated that her character will be missing part of her arm and a stunt double will help out with scenes where the body part is visible.

The Mad Max crew is believed to include about 700 people, which would be one of the biggest crews to come to the city.

Yesterday, Moonlighting Film Production Services chief executive Philip Key said he was unable to divulge further information on the film or the production.

“I can’t release any details on the film as yet, but Cape Town has become a very popular choice of setting,” he said.

The film is expected to be screened in theatres by early next year. - Cape Times

Source: IOL News