daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Quebec

Quebec Discussions in english and français

Old March 1st, 2012, 10:18 PM   #481
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 511

Trains down street might function in and around non-car-centric places; I'd only favour a tram down Park were the avenue trams only, although ain't it Park that's being reported as now suffering four years' worth of roadworks?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 2nd, 2012, 01:07 PM   #482
1331Massi

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Trains down street might function in and around non-car-centric places; I'd only favour a tram down Park were the avenue trams only, although ain't it Park that's being reported as now suffering four years' worth of roadworks?
*sarcasm* Why, what do you know? It is! But a tramway certainly couldn't help not kill the street, like what happened to the main. *sarcasm*
1331Massi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 05:10 PM   #483
trainrover

Trains, i.e., lengthily-articulated trams, and cars really don't mix ... merchants would have a fit were cars prohibited from taking the avenue.
Old March 5th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #484
1331Massi

Quote:
Trains, i.e., lengthily-articulated trams, and cars really don't mix ... merchants would have a fit were cars prohibited from taking the avenue.
And people have a hissy fit when the idea of making downtown a tolled area surfaces. In this city, we had almost 500 km (I might be getting that wrong) of tramway lines and the number of cars was limited, and now the thought of it turns people off. In 5 years, when the price of gas is at $4 per liter, people will abandon their cars in favor of public transit. Every 15 cent jump in gas prices is a victory.

I never said prohibited, rather limited, i.e. reduced to 2 lanes in each direction.
Old March 5th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #485
trainrover

The prohibition was my own suggestion. As much as I dislike vehicular traffic and wish it be curtailed, it would take a miracle to bring about any clawback to car usage in and around the inner city, no?
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #486
1331Massi

Quote:
The prohibition was my own suggestion. As much as I dislike vehicular traffic and wish it be curtailed, it would take a miracle to bring about any clawback to car usage in and around the inner city, no?
Sadly, the answer is yes. Or at least for now. There will be huge demand for public transit. Already 2 million people use the bus and metro every day, and that number is climbing every year.

As for middle of the street tram lines, this should be the option on Pie-IX, Parc, Cammilien-Houde (or completely replacing the road) and Queen-Mary, as well as a new service on the abandoned tracks in the Old Port.
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #487
trainrover

My preference is for metros although maybe middle-of-broad-boulevard (like Pie-IX and E & W Henri Bourassa) tramways would work
Old March 7th, 2012, 02:57 AM   #488
1331Massi

Quote:
My preference is for metros although maybe middle-of-broad-boulevard (like Pie-IX and E & W Henri Bourassa) tramways would work
How about middle-of-the-road metro? The train could be enclosed in a glass tunnel and the cars could pass under the tracks. Either that or an elevated track on top of existing buildings (wouldn't work on residential streets, lol).

What happened to everyone else on this thread? You guy still here?

Last edited by 1331Massi; March 7th, 2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old March 10th, 2012, 01:31 AM   #489
BIMBAM

You know what, my worry here is that as demand for transit goes up, as has been predicted, it won't necessarilly increase in availability to meet that demand. This is because the government is broke and can't afford to make the necessary transit investments it needs to. Weren't all those metro extensions announced four years ago? There's already plenty of demand in the areas it was announced the system would be expanded into. But since transport is not profitable, it requires public funds it doesn't generate them, it doesn't get funded. I understand it needs public funds to compete with the publicly built road system, but it's one more cost and just keeps getting put off.
BIMBAM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #490
trainrover

More like decades ago.

Most governments become broke from doling out their constituents' dollars to questionable entrepreneurs. Our overall problem lies in the supposition that the public sector must become profitable; affordability wouldn't be jeopardised if it weren't for this abominable belief, stance, position.

Last edited by trainrover; March 11th, 2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #491
VadBen

Just make elevated trains everywhere. The metro doesn't have to be underground. Here in Osaka they're everywhere, even beside the high school where I teach.

VadBen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #492
VadBen

How do I post photos from iPhone to the forum?
VadBen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #493
Ashok

Likes (Received): 974

I do not believe there is a direct way to upload the photos, you would need using a image hoster than linking those files here. You can use photobucket.com if you want, it is free.

Each image in photobucket.com will have its own link, and once you got the link, just copy paste it in the 'image icon' you find on the top of the text box.
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #494
trainrover

Not much response to my suggestion

Quote:
Quote:

(Clickable...)

interesting-looking switches/points
Old April 20th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #495
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 126

Might be good for the Yellow line if it were to be extended further east into Longueuil.
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:22 PM   #496
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 126

Anyone have a source citing the construction cost per km of the sheltered elevated section? It would be interesting to know how much such a structure would cost relative to an unsheltered elevated line and to see how much the savings would be compared to building underground.
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 10:27 PM   #497
trainrover

... plus imagine the costliness were it to last only 15 years

Quote:

Whether people mover or metro, its '70s drapery plus its track switches must've been interesting ...

Arrière gare

Final day in service

Komaki → Taitung -- time lapse, x2

Taitung → Komaki -- time lapse, x2

clickable...

clickable...
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:03 AM   #498
1331Massi

Quote:
Not much response to my suggestion
Well, I think its a great idea. The Metro doesn't have to be underground. Sadly, the people at the AMT don't think.
Old May 4th, 2012, 02:44 AM   #499
trainrover

Something tells me that the STM are more overground aversive than the AMT
Old May 13th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #500
1331Massi

Quote:
Something tells me that the STM are more overground aversive than the AMT
I would have never thought that! "METRO MUST BE UNDERGROUND CAULIS DE TABARNACLE" might as well be a quote from the chairman himself...

Tags
metro, montreal