daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Closed Thread

Old February 28th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #1841
NW Mike

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCIII View Post
Its funny for me to see people complaining about rent costs but compared to NYC and DC where I lived before coming here the rents are cheap! At the end of the day it costs a pretty penny to live in nice spaces in desireable locations. Thats just the way it is.
I'm seeing many new renters coming in for Amazon or Microsoft. These individuals are from the east coast or abroad and have no problem paying these rents. They feel they are very affordable.

Sponsored Links

Old February 28th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #1842
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Mike View Post
I'm seeing many new renters coming in for Amazon or Microsoft. These individuals are from the east coast or abroad and have no problem paying these rents. They feel they are very affordable.
Just because there might be people willing to pay it doesn't make it affordable.
Old February 28th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #1843
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCIII View Post
Its funny for me to see people complaining about rent costs but compared to NYC and DC where I lived before coming here the rents are cheap! At the end of the day it costs a pretty penny to live in nice spaces in desireable locations. Thats just the way it is.
Agreed. My tiny 2 bedroom shit hole apartment in an up and coming, but certainly not there yet, neighborhood in Brooklyn was 1,600/mo. I was on the top floor (5th) with no elevator and no laundry in the building. The tub was too small to use, the toilet was wedged between the tub and wall, the bathroom sink overhung the tub, the heat was oil radiators and constantly on to the point you had to open the window while it was snowing, the kitchen tiles were coming up, my bedroom was the size of a parking spot, the windows were drafty, the stove was puny, the front door to the building was ****ed up, there were cockroaches... etc...

Now I have a significantly larger 2 bedroom apartment in Greenwood/Phinney with superior appliances, a laundry room, an elevator etc and it's only 1,000/mo.

Of course there's a lot more to why rent is higher there (supply and demand) and my building was directly above a L line station which took you directly to 14th Street in Manhattan, so it had its perks. But I like what I have here!

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.
http://www.sonicsgate.org/
Seattlelife no está en línea  
Old February 29th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #1844
Ruffhauser

Likes (Received): 1152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlelife View Post
My tiny 2 bedroom shit hole apartment in an up and coming, but certainly not there yet, neighborhood in Brooklyn was 1,600/mo. I was on the top floor (5th) with no elevator and no laundry in the building. The tub was too small to use, the toilet was wedged between the tub and wall, the bathroom sink overhung the tub, the heat was oil radiators and constantly on to the point you had to open the window while it was snowing, the kitchen tiles were coming up, my bedroom was the size of a parking spot, the windows were drafty, the stove was puny, the front door to the building was ****ed up, there were cockroaches... etc...
Get to the bad stuff already.....
Ruffhauser no está en línea  
Old February 29th, 2012, 03:40 AM   #1845
InlandEmpire
Mixologist

Likes (Received): 21

I dunno. I guess if I had to live in a shithole just to get to say I live in NY, I'd rather not. It would be depressing to come home to that after working all day just to afford said shithole.

My 1 bed on the hill is going for 2k now, and to me that's a lot of money, but I guess trade off is the building is new and nice.
InlandEmpire no está en línea  
Old February 29th, 2012, 04:32 AM   #1846
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 224

All I had known my whole life was Kirkland and Seattle. I had an opportunity to try something after college before settling down and I did it. Wouldn't take it back for anything. With that said I have no desire to live there again but it was awesome experience.

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.
http://www.sonicsgate.org/
Seattlelife no está en línea  
Old February 29th, 2012, 06:20 AM   #1847
SteveM

Likes (Received): 3

On the NYC-Seattle comparison front: I'm living in NYC now. As of about a month ago, I was considering moving back to Seattle but have decided to stay in NYC for the time being (it's complicated; grad school, my wife's job and our 2-year-old kid are all factors).

The thing to understand about NYC rents is that because it's such a walking/transit city, location matters a LOT. So rents vary far more dramatically by neighborhood than in Seattle -- one person I know lives in an enormous 3BR apartment in Washington Heights (a poor-ish but very safe neighborhood at the North of Manhattan) paying about $1600, while another pays at least twice that for a 1BR in Battery Park City, near downtown.

Seattlelife's apartment along the L line was probably basically free or unoccupied 20 years ago, $800 10 years ago, and could be $2400 in 10 more years if Williamsburg continues to gentrify.

It'll be interesting to see if the neighborhood polarization effect applies to Seattle as it gets more walking/transit oriented. When my wife and I were considering moving back, I basically only wanted to consider neighborhoods along the present/future light rail lines. I'm not sure if I'm alone in that, but if I'm not, I could imagine significant polarization.

On the other hand, Seattle will never be as transit-oriented as NYC.
SteveM no está en línea  
Old February 29th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #1848
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 992

My partner and I are at the preliminary stages of choosing where to purchase. He works down in SODO, I am a flight attendant. Proximity to light rail for me is becoming a lot more important than in the past, so it looks like Rainier Valley or Beacon Hill for us. If you'd have told me 20 years ago that I'd consider those neighborhoods, I would have thought you were crazy, but here we are.
Old March 1st, 2012, 01:25 AM   #1849
LCIII

Likes (Received): 645

DJC says city leaders met today to discuss land use, zoning and planning agenda for 2012...Here's hoping they all said "Up! Up! Up!!!"
LCIII no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2012, 01:45 AM   #1850
jessejb

Likes (Received): 266

Awesome! Getn hiiiiiiigh in here.
jessejb está en línea ahora  
Old March 1st, 2012, 09:19 AM   #1851
BellevueBoy

Likes (Received): 1

The DJC says the midrise building on Elliott across from the Art Institute is going to start this August. They demoed that building years ago, it's good to finally see something get built.
BellevueBoy no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2012, 04:22 PM   #1852
SteveM

Likes (Received): 3

A plan to redevelop some of the county juvenile detention center, which is currently a huge parking lot and a small building. The whole thing is on 12th, just south of the Seattle U part of 12th.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ecourt01m.html

I'm not sure whether this would be better funded out the general fund (rather than a special-case levy), but I like the fact that selling some of the land to a developer is part of the funding package. And the area could definitely use some more residential.

In any case, nothing's going to happen any time soon.
SteveM no está en línea  
Old March 2nd, 2012, 12:19 AM   #1853
benleis

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
A plan to redevelop some of the county juvenile detention center, which is currently a huge parking lot and a small building. The whole thing is on 12th, just south of the Seattle U part of 12th.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ecourt01m.html

I'm not sure whether this would be better funded out the general fund (rather than a special-case levy), but I like the fact that selling some of the land to a developer is part of the funding package. And the area could definitely use some more residential.

In any case, nothing's going to happen any time soon.
Personally it would make more sense to move the entire facility to another location with cheaper land and fund it partly via the sale of the entire site.
I have to wonder on the desirability of building residential property directly adjacent to a detention facility. That's certainly not my idea of a good neighbor.

Ben
benleis no está en línea  
Old March 2nd, 2012, 02:22 AM   #1854
meku

Likes (Received): 53

More dorms to offset some of the halfway-houses and seediness would be ideal.
meku no está en línea  
Old March 2nd, 2012, 05:46 AM   #1855
mSeattle

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by benleis View Post
Personally it would make more sense to move the entire facility to another location with cheaper land and fund it partly via the sale of the entire site.
I have to wonder on the desirability of building residential property directly adjacent to a detention facility. That's certainly not my idea of a good neighbor.

Ben
I don't think anyone wants youth detention to be a big business, in-city or on the outskirts. The only thing I think is bad about the center from the outside is it's large surface parking lot and from what I can remember it seems to be set back from the streets.

Plant a bunch of big trees and/or tall art instillations around it and we wouldn't know it was there.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 06:29 PM   #1856
jlbjlb

Likes (Received): 28

Colman

[IMG]
jlbjlb no está en línea  
Old March 3rd, 2012, 06:45 PM   #1857
SJM

Likes (Received): 53

awesome its growing! Now we just need to remove that viaduct
SJM no está en línea  
Old March 3rd, 2012, 07:20 PM   #1858
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 162

Four more years until it will be gone for good.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2012, 07:34 AM   #1859
Doomgoggles
Unregistered non-user

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
Four more years until it will be gone for good.
Or one big quake
Doomgoggles no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #1860
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomgoggles View Post
Or one big quake
No quakes please. Not in our lifetime.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags