daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > The Urban Fabric > Transport / Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 29th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #701
deskoh91
Land Transport Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 32

hope more details about the terminal can be announced soon. I hope they can aim for the Stansted model. barebones aesthetically but not to the point of creating an airconditioned metal shed.
deskoh91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 29th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #702
hybridace101

Likes (Received): 52

TR returning to T2 will return the bottlenecks at passport control we normally don't experience. I wonder where 5J will be based in later this year.
hybridace101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #703
Brandonn

Likes (Received): 4

Isn't this wasting public funds? I thought the Budget Terminal was constructed and used not even more than 10 years ago? Why?
Brandonn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #704
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1423

Quote:
Originally Posted by deskoh91 View Post
hope more details about the terminal can be announced soon. I hope they can aim for the Stansted model. barebones aesthetically but not to the point of creating an airconditioned metal shed.
I agree. Stansted looks visibly pleasing unlike what we and KL have at the moment........I wonder how big this terminal will be and if it can cater to all the budget carriers once it is operational
Old February 29th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #705
Mith252
Proud to be Malay-Chinese

Likes (Received): 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonn View Post
Isn't this wasting public funds? I thought the Budget Terminal was constructed and used not even more than 10 years ago? Why?
I think this is to accommodate the growing demand for budget airlines. They have basically underestimated the growth and now the terminal needs an upgrade.

Btw, if you can't see the images I posted, I have deleted them.
Mith252 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 10:34 AM   #706
circleline4
Whoop

Likes (Received): 77

New Changi Terminal 4 to replace Budget Terminal

Quote:
SINGAPORE: Singapore's Budget Terminal will be closed on September 25 and demolished to make way for the construction of a new Terminal 4 at Changi Airport.

Changi Airport Group (CAG) gave this confirmation after Channel News Asia first broke news of the impending closure on Wednesday.

In a statement, CAG said construction of Terminal 4 will begin in 2013 and is expected to be ready by 2017.

The new terminal will be a larger passenger building, with the capacity to handle 16 million passengers per annum.

It will be designed to enable efficient passenger processing and quick turnaround of aircraft, and will not have aerobridges.

Unlike the present Budget Terminal, Terminal 4 will also have a wide choice of retail and food and beverage offerings, as well as passenger amenities that will better serve the needs of travellers.

To facilitate the construction of Terminal 4, airlines currently operating in the Budget Terminal will move their operations to Terminal 2 and will start operations there from September 25 at 6am.

The affected airlines are Berjaya Air, Cebu Pacific, Firefly, South East Asian Airlines and Tiger Airways.

CAG said it has had discussions with the airlines operating at the Budget Terminal since late last year regarding the terminal's closure, and it will work with the respective airlines to ensure a smooth transition of their operations, and minimise inconvenience to passengers as far as possible.

It said more details on each airline's operations at Terminal 2 will be provided nearer the effective date.

CAG said the new terminal will help to sustain the long-term growth of Changi Airport.

It said the existing Budget Terminal handled more than 4.6 million passenger movements last year.

And Changi Airport, with a total capacity of more than 70 million passengers per annum, still has room to accommodate air traffic growth.

CAG said it believes in planning ahead to ensure there is capacity to handle further increase in traffic demand.

Over the past decade, passenger traffic at Changi Airport has increased at a compounded annual growth rate of 5.2 percent. In 2011, Changi handled a total of 46.5 million passenger movements, a year-on-year increase of 10.7 percent.

Singapore-based carriers - Singapore Airlines, SilkAir, Tiger Airways, Jetstar Asia and Scoot - have ordered new aircraft and foreign carriers have also expressed the desire to grow their air links with Singapore.

- CNA/de
T4 came earlier than predicted...
Old March 1st, 2012, 10:52 AM   #707
Mith252

So am I. I thought it would take a much longer time or at the land next to Changi Air Base East. Well, hope to see a rendering soon.

Old March 1st, 2012, 10:58 AM   #708
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1423

I hope this terminal will be able to rival what KL plans to open next year.............
Old March 1st, 2012, 11:16 AM   #709
horlick97

Quote:
Originally Posted by horlick97 View Post
There is another thread on Changi Terminal 4.

Changi will have to consider various points:
- Should T4 be at where budget terminal is or at the land between runway 2 and 3?
- How many Terminals should Changi has eventually? Should T4 be a single mega terminal that will see the rationalisation of T1, 2 and 3 also?

Airports seem to have relatively short shelf life (to obsolescence) in the last 50 years or so.

Beyond Terminal capacity, an equally critical issue is the runway capacity and airspace congestion.
Ah, T4 is the new budget terminal, and at where the current budget terminal is. Will look forward to more details. Not sure if the other facilities like the Kitchen will also get affected. My hope is they can take the opportunity to rationalise things a bit, including the road system there.

But, at 16mil/year, rather smallish, especially when compared with KLIA2.

Looks like runway 3 will be used for soon.
horlick97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 11:39 AM   #710
Mith252

Well, Terminal 1 can accommodate about 21 million, Terminal 2 23 million and Terminal 3 22 million passengers. So I guess Terminal 4 would be about 76% the capacity of Terminal 1.

Old March 1st, 2012, 11:45 AM   #711
y2koh

Likes (Received): 117

It's actually a good move. I think we would be covering our ears and shouting "la la la" if we still pretend to ignore the fact that budget airlines will be the future of air travel.

Even businesses are now looking at budget airlines to save costs, and more importantly ensure accountability within the organization. Even CEOs are travelling on budget airlines for short haul flights.

I believe that Changi has weighed the advantages of building T4 as a budget terminal, vs transferring them to T1 permanently. Location wise T1-3 are still favourable. And it will be difficult to connect T4 seemlessly to the rest of the terminals, especially logistics wise. At the same time, the decision to build T4 as a budget air terminal without aerobridges, ensures that there will not be any waste in resources that have already being put in place.
y2koh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 02:33 PM   #712
jactkwn

Likes (Received): 0

without aerobridges? that means passengers will need to walk down the plane and walk into Terminal 4.

If Terminal 4 is a budget terminal, it is ok. Otherwise, it is very strange!
jactkwn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 03:46 PM   #713
eX.A.K.R.

Likes (Received): 18

I guess the original Terminal 4 was supposed to be between runways 2 and 3, but growing demand for budget travel meant that they changed plans a bit, decided to build a souped-up budget terminal in place of the original, and call it Terminal 4.

That's my guess, anyway.
eX.A.K.R. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 03:54 PM   #714
Brandonn

Any chance that the skytrain from any of the existing terminals will be linked to T4; or the ERL running through T4?
Brandonn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 04:05 PM   #715
ddes

Likes (Received): 248

Actually, it should be noted that the bulk of LCC operations by passenger numbers were, and still is carried by the low-cost carriers, namely AirAsia and Jetstar who've chosen to remain in Terminal 1 to be closer integrated to the full-service operators they've aligned themselves with or rely on for feeding of passengers. Hence, it is unlikely they will move.

However, I hope the new terminal will be built with long-haul low-fare carriers in consideration (although I remain skeptical in the model, it has been a mixed bag, and odds are not in its favour).
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:11 AM   #716
skystopper

Likes (Received): 6

No aerobridge again? So the new Terminal 4 might be a replica of a larger Budget Terminal, just that it will perhaps look more decent? I think they should seriously reconsider it again to avoid a demoliation of the terminal in future.
And I wonder if the Skytrain will be extended to Terminal 4. This terminal wasn't exactly the one that they planned back then, so plans might change too?
skystopper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 08:05 AM   #717
ddes

Likes (Received): 248

Actually, the Skytrain expansion is just about right. Provisions to T4 for a skytrain station are located at the southern part of T2 (near Starbucks), so the route would just continue down the road.

From this, I gather that rather than spreading the terminals out, Changi Airport is trying to keep as much expansion as possible between the two existing runways. It's understandable, given that Heathrow handles over 65 million passengers in a space roughly the same size as Changi.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 01:57 PM   #718
zobbified

This is not much of a surprise. There has been chatter of the BT going since 2011Q3.

While there won't be aerobridges for T4, I hope they do make provision for them to be installed in the future.

OT: Is there a need to copy and paste entire articles? See -> General reminder about quoting content
zobbified no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #719
horlick97

Notwithstanding the relatively recent opening of T3 and the upgrading of T2 and T1, what else are needed to further improve Changi? I hope when they plan the T4 (new budget terminal), they will take the opportunity and exercise the discipline to review and review things to continously streamline various things.

Some of these include:
- Access roads and recirculation to the various terminals. it is not just the availability of access roads, but also the optimisation of them.
- Carparks, especially T1,
- People Movers connectivity to all the terminals, incl the new T4.

With regard to the new T4, reading from what is in the public domain, I am concerned that there do not seem to be clear strategic articulation of what the new budget terminal or LCC mean. It seem rather piece-meal, followers (rather than providing the thought leadership) kind of thinking, like:
- 16mil capacity? Hello, how big is the new KLIA2?
- No aerobridges...emm....still thinking along the same line as a decade ago when budget terminals means being spartan and 'don't expect quality/experience'?
- Connections to other terminals? No commitment yet?

...my concerns, question marks........
horlick97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 05:09 AM   #720
zobbified

Can't really compare the future T4 to KLIA2 even though both are BT/LCCT replacements. The current capacity of KUL is 40M (70M with KLIA2). Whereas for SIN it's 73M (82M with T4). In 2011, SIN handled 46.5M while KUL handled 37.7M. From the figures, KUL is nearing maximum capacity with its current infrastructure and SIN still has plenty of buffer. Don't forget the primary users of T4 will be no different from the ones currently using the BT. T4 will most likely be designed with provisions for future expansion.
zobbified no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
aviation, changi airport, singapore airlines