search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > Baltimore / Washington DC

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:19 PM   #16501
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2206

A while back it was reported that a developer was looking to build a 78-unit apartment building at 511 Saint Paul Place which currently houses a vacant two-story commercial building. That building now has a "For Sale" sign on it. Anybody know if the apartment development is dead?

Here's the original article: http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore...omplex-in.html

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
PeterSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:24 PM   #16502
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2206

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch View Post
Yeah, those buildings are beautiful. Vacants are having a good few years.

http://northcalvertgreen.com/
These look like really nice homes for a good price. Any sense of who is buying them? It looks like there are income requirements on who can buy; does this mean that the units must also be owner-occupied?

PeterSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:42 PM   #16503
pertplus

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
A while back it was reported that a developer was looking to build a 78-unit apartment building at 511 Saint Paul Place which currently houses a vacant two-story commercial building. That building now has a "For Sale" sign on it. Anybody know if the apartment development is dead?

Here's the original article: http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore...omplex-in.html
The docket shows clues as to what plans they have, and a search shows that it is approved with conditions:

2011-554 521-45 St. Paul St. (PMC Property Group)
To construct a 2-sty. addition atop c/o Stanley Fine existing 2-sty. office bldg. & use premises to house 78 dwg. units. GRANTED WITH CONDITIONS

Also interesting:

2101-11 Pennsylvania Ave. (Sphinx Club Complex, LLC)
To consolidate lots, develop a 3-sty. c/o Roscoe Johnson, III structure as museum with offices, restaurant-including live entertainment & outdoor tables. GRANTED

Last edited by pertplus; March 2nd, 2012 at 11:48 PM.
pertplus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:52 PM   #16504
CrazyDre26

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post

It went before the BMZA in January. The developer needed BMZA approval because 20 parking spaces were required under the zoning and none were proposed. Planning recommended approval as long as the developer provided some off-street spaces in former loading dock area. I'm not sure if the Board accepted this recommendation, but it sounds like the main concern was parking.

About North Calvert Green, most of the buyers have been professional couples and at least one of them is a family with school-age children. The income limits start at $72,000 for a single person and go up at about $10,000 increments from there. We've had interest from a lot of JHU folks including several professors and doctors, as well as professionals who work for the government in DC.

It's really an amazing transformation considering that many of those same houses were controlled by drug gangs just a few years ago.
CrazyDre26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 07:10 PM   #16505
KLynch

Likes (Received): 794

Looks like DC is working hard to lure the Redskins Training facility the District.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...klR_story.html

This probably also doesn't fare well for the United in DC, because this will take up most of the city's efforts and money at the most crucial time for DC United to try to get something done.
KLynch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 07:59 PM   #16506
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 142

I guess when you go around buying up every piece of commercial real estate available you tend to attract attention to yourself.

http://citypaper.com/news/smoked-out...sEnabled=false
DemolitionDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:57 PM   #16507
Gsol

Likes (Received): 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDre26 View Post
It went before the BMZA in January. The developer needed BMZA approval because 20 parking spaces were required under the zoning and none were proposed. Planning recommended approval as long as the developer provided some off-street spaces in former loading dock area. I'm not sure if the Board accepted this recommendation, but it sounds like the main concern was parking.

About North Calvert Green, most of the buyers have been professional couples and at least one of them is a family with school-age children. The income limits start at $72,000 for a single person and go up at about $10,000 increments from there. We've had interest from a lot of JHU folks including several professors and doctors, as well as professionals who work for the government in DC.

It's really an amazing transformation considering that many of those same houses were controlled by drug gangs just a few years ago.
Why in the Hell should the city care about parking spaces? Isn't that for any prospective tenant to be concerned about? Anyone who wants to rent in the building will find parking, or he won't. But that's not the city's concern.
Gsol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 12:57 AM   #16508
rockin'.baltimorean

Likes (Received): 2022

Quote:
Looks like DC is working hard to lure the Redskins Training facility the District.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...klR_story.html

This probably also doesn't fare well for the United in DC, because this will take up most of the city's efforts and money at the most crucial time for DC United to try to get something done.
again, all the pieces are fallin' in place to move d.c. united here....

At this point, kevin payne (the president of d.c. United) has gotta' be thinking "damn. Maybe the d.c. city council doesn't want us here".

Last edited by rockin'.baltimorean; March 4th, 2012 at 01:59 AM.
rockin'.baltimorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 02:55 AM   #16509
KLynch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsol View Post
Why in the Hell should the city care about parking spaces? Isn't that for any prospective tenant to be concerned about? Anyone who wants to rent in the building will find parking, or he won't. But that's not the city's concern.
Because we are not New York and never want to be. Everytime a building is built without parking, it's the homeowners that suffer.
Old March 4th, 2012, 05:02 AM   #16510
CrazyDre26

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Because we are not New York and never want to be. Everytime a building is built without parking, it's the homeowners that suffer.
I think availability of street parking is directly proportional to very successful neighborhoods and high property values. Yes, can sometimes be difficult to find parking in many of the waterfront neighborhoods, but that's because those neighborhoods are filled with people lucky enough to own expensive cars and expensive real estate.

Most city neighborhoods don't have a "parking problem." I would bet that many residents, and perhaps even Councilman Cole, would laugh at you for being upset about not having enough parking. Most of us would love to be in your situation (and have stable property values, low crime, very few vacant houses and lots of energetic young people in addition to a general lack of street parking)!
CrazyDre26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 05:45 AM   #16511
waj0527

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDre26 View Post
I think availability of street parking is directly proportional to very successful neighborhoods and high property values. Yes, can sometimes be difficult to find parking in many of the waterfront neighborhoods, but that's because those neighborhoods are filled with people lucky enough to own expensive cars and expensive real estate.

Most city neighborhoods don't have a "parking problem." I would bet that many residents, and perhaps even Councilman Cole, would laugh at you for being upset about not having enough parking. Most of us would love to be in your situation (and have stable property values, low crime, very few vacant houses and lots of energetic young people in addition to a general lack of street parking)!
Its not just waterfront neighborhoods. I live in Mt Vernon and parking is tough here. Good point, well taken though.
waj0527 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 05:47 AM   #16512
KLynch

My neighborhood has a really bad parking situation, and I wouldn't describe most of us as having nice cars or expensive real estate. When I get off of work at 11pm on a Friday and get home and have to park a mile from my house, I certainly don't sit around and think, wow, I'm just lucky to be here. By no means should I seek that real estate codes exist, or that the city cares about it's residents, or that parking should ever be considered. Let's not care about what really matters, let's all just live an architects dream, and make every thing like NYC and not worry about what actually matter to our citizens. Taller buildings, no street parking lots, don't worry about parking, build, build, build! What a great idea.

Let's get real here, we have a virtually non existent rail system, a bus/CCC system that turns a 5 minute ride into a half an hour, and a bunch of cab drivers that live to screw you over. This is a car city, and gosh forbid these greedy developers, who many times don't even live in this state, don't get their way because they are trying to build something without parking.

I a meeting with Councilman Cole next week and the first thing I am asking him is about parking and what can be done. I'd be willing to bet all the money in the world he doesn't laugh.

Last edited by KLynch; March 4th, 2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old March 4th, 2012, 06:03 AM   #16513
waj0527

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
My neighborhood has a really bad parking situation, and I wouldn't describe most of us as having nice cars or expensive real estate. When I get off of work at 11pm on a Friday and get home and have to park a mile from my house, I certainly don't sit around and think, wow, I'm just lucky to be here. By no means should I seek that real estate codes exist, or that the city cares about it's residents, or that parking should ever be considered. Let's not care about what really matters, let's all just live an architects dream, and make every thing like NYC and not worry about what actually matter to our citizens. Taller buildings, no street parking lots, don't worry about parking, build, build, build! What a great idea.

Let's get real here, we have a virtually non existent rail system, a bus/CCC system that turns a 5 minute ride into a half an hour, and a bunch of cab drivers that live to screw you over. This is a car city, and gosh forbid these greedy developers, who many times don't even live in this state, don't get there way because they are trying to build something without parking.

I a meeting with Councilman Cole next week and the first thing I am asking him is about parking and what can be done. I'd be willing to bet all the money in the world he doesn't laugh.
Let's not disparage the CCC too much. I take it daily and it's fine. The only time there are issues with extended travel times is when traffic is awful. It'd be really nice to have a substantial rail system tho.
waj0527 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 06:14 AM   #16514
KLynch

It's not a bad option. But If you work in sales, or have your own business, or move around a lot, it's not a realistic option. My minutes in the day are very valuable as are many people's. I can get to Fell's Point in 5-10 minutes, it takes me longer than that to walk to the bus stop, let alone wait for it to get there, ride it, wait for another bus, and finally get there.

This is a city that needs cars, and while mass transit is great let's not pretend like it works for everyone. I think most people in my neighborhood (The one where we should feel so fortunate to be here and not worry about building stuff without parking) only use the CCC occasionally. If you compare the amount of cars on Rte 2 to the amount of people at the Bus/CCC stops at 8am, it's probably at least 100/1
Old March 4th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #16515
RavensFan0606

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
If you compare the amount of cars on Rte 2 to the amount of people at the Bus/CCC stops at 8am, it's probably at least 100/1
And this is what needs to change.
“Neighborhoods built up all at once change little physically over the years as a rule...[Residents] regret that the neighborhood has changed. Yet the fact is, physically it has changed remarkably little. People's feelings about it, rather, have changed. The neighborhood shows a strange inability to update itself, enliven itself, repair itself, or to be sought after, out of choice, by a new generation. It is dead. Actually it was dead from birth, but nobody noticed this much until the corpse began to smell.”
RavensFan0606 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 06:50 PM   #16516
Infoman
/BMOREBOY

Likes (Received): 303

^agreed.
Old March 4th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #16517
baltimoreisbest

Likes (Received): 67

Does anyone know if the old Provident Bank building is slated to undergo renovation/conversion to rental at any point in the near future?
baltimoreisbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #16518
oneworld25

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

Let's get real here, we have a virtually non existent rail system, a bus/CCC system that turns a 5 minute ride into a half an hour, and a bunch of cab drivers that live to screw you over. This is a car city, and gosh forbid these greedy developers, who many times don't even live in this state, don't get their way because they are trying to build something without parking.

I'm a little surprised to be hearing this from you. I get the idea from your posts that your politics lean to the right. So I assume you believe in the free market and less government regulation. Yet you seem to think it is ok for the government to force developers into providing more parking than they otherwise would in order to meet some sort of arbitrary parking requirement. UCLA professor of urban planning, Donald Shoup has done a great deal of research on this issue and has shown that parking requirements increase sprawl, discourage density, and even increase the cost of housing!

See these links for what I'm talking about:

http://www.uctc.net/papers/351.pdf
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/15/bu...my/15view.html

Shoup's book, the High Cost of Free Parking is also an interesting read, for those who are interested in the subject.
oneworld25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #16519
rockin'.baltimorean

Likes (Received): 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreisbest View Post
Does anyone know if the old Provident Bank building is slated to undergo renovation/conversion to rental at any point in the near future?
where is this building located?

rockin'.baltimorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #16520
oneworld25

Likes (Received): 1

I also wanted to post this story about a new apartment complex in Santa Monica that is being built without any parking whatsoever. If LA the car capital of the world can become a transit friendly city, then Baltimore certainly can.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2011/1...evelopment.php

Quote:
What is the world coming to? The city of Santa Monica this week approved a development agreement for a 56 unit mixed-use building in its downtown core and didn't ask the developer to build any parking. The development will be located on a 7,500 square foot parcel at Broadway and Fourth on the site of an existing auto repair facility (is that unintentional irony?). The site is one block from the future Expo Line terminus at the corner of Fourth Street and Colorado Avenue, so people who live in the new building could commute from Santa Monica to Culver City or Downtown LA or Pasadena and not even have to own a car. What is this, Chicago?

The Lookout News reports that, instead of building parking, project developer Steve Henry will pay $125,000 for transit improvements (to "help offset to cost of building bike lanes, the Esplanade project on Colorado Avenue, the Expo Light Rail line and other transit projects") and contribute a laundry list of other benefits (according to the development agreement, those include a Transportation Demand Management plan, "round floor arcade that enhances the adjacent sidewalks," extra affordable units, minimum LEED Silver certification, rooftop solar panels, and a local hiring provision for construction).

The five story building (56 feet tall) will include 48 studios, eight one bedrooms, and 4,159 square feet of ground floor commercial space, which the LN says will house a restaurant. And just to repeat: no on-site parking. The project is designed by Michael Folonis.
oneworld25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
baltimore, development, development summary