daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Baltimore / Washington DC



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 4th, 2012, 05:02 AM   #16501
CrazyDre26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Remington
Posts: 254
Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch View Post
Because we are not New York and never want to be. Everytime a building is built without parking, it's the homeowners that suffer.
I think availability of street parking is directly proportional to very successful neighborhoods and high property values. Yes, can sometimes be difficult to find parking in many of the waterfront neighborhoods, but that's because those neighborhoods are filled with people lucky enough to own expensive cars and expensive real estate.

Most city neighborhoods don't have a "parking problem." I would bet that many residents, and perhaps even Councilman Cole, would laugh at you for being upset about not having enough parking. Most of us would love to be in your situation (and have stable property values, low crime, very few vacant houses and lots of energetic young people in addition to a general lack of street parking)!
CrazyDre26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old March 4th, 2012, 05:45 AM   #16502
waj0527
Registered User
 
waj0527's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 2,261
Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDre26 View Post
I think availability of street parking is directly proportional to very successful neighborhoods and high property values. Yes, can sometimes be difficult to find parking in many of the waterfront neighborhoods, but that's because those neighborhoods are filled with people lucky enough to own expensive cars and expensive real estate.

Most city neighborhoods don't have a "parking problem." I would bet that many residents, and perhaps even Councilman Cole, would laugh at you for being upset about not having enough parking. Most of us would love to be in your situation (and have stable property values, low crime, very few vacant houses and lots of energetic young people in addition to a general lack of street parking)!
Its not just waterfront neighborhoods. I live in Mt Vernon and parking is tough here. Good point, well taken though.
waj0527 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 05:47 AM   #16503
KLynch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Baltimore
Posts: 1,782
Likes (Received): 229

My neighborhood has a really bad parking situation, and I wouldn't describe most of us as having nice cars or expensive real estate. When I get off of work at 11pm on a Friday and get home and have to park a mile from my house, I certainly don't sit around and think, wow, I'm just lucky to be here. By no means should I seek that real estate codes exist, or that the city cares about it's residents, or that parking should ever be considered. Let's not care about what really matters, let's all just live an architects dream, and make every thing like NYC and not worry about what actually matter to our citizens. Taller buildings, no street parking lots, don't worry about parking, build, build, build! What a great idea.

Let's get real here, we have a virtually non existent rail system, a bus/CCC system that turns a 5 minute ride into a half an hour, and a bunch of cab drivers that live to screw you over. This is a car city, and gosh forbid these greedy developers, who many times don't even live in this state, don't get their way because they are trying to build something without parking.

I a meeting with Councilman Cole next week and the first thing I am asking him is about parking and what can be done. I'd be willing to bet all the money in the world he doesn't laugh.

Last edited by KLynch; March 4th, 2012 at 06:17 AM.
KLynch está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 06:03 AM   #16504
waj0527
Registered User
 
waj0527's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 2,261
Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch View Post
My neighborhood has a really bad parking situation, and I wouldn't describe most of us as having nice cars or expensive real estate. When I get off of work at 11pm on a Friday and get home and have to park a mile from my house, I certainly don't sit around and think, wow, I'm just lucky to be here. By no means should I seek that real estate codes exist, or that the city cares about it's residents, or that parking should ever be considered. Let's not care about what really matters, let's all just live an architects dream, and make every thing like NYC and not worry about what actually matter to our citizens. Taller buildings, no street parking lots, don't worry about parking, build, build, build! What a great idea.

Let's get real here, we have a virtually non existent rail system, a bus/CCC system that turns a 5 minute ride into a half an hour, and a bunch of cab drivers that live to screw you over. This is a car city, and gosh forbid these greedy developers, who many times don't even live in this state, don't get there way because they are trying to build something without parking.

I a meeting with Councilman Cole next week and the first thing I am asking him is about parking and what can be done. I'd be willing to bet all the money in the world he doesn't laugh.
Let's not disparage the CCC too much. I take it daily and it's fine. The only time there are issues with extended travel times is when traffic is awful. It'd be really nice to have a substantial rail system tho.
waj0527 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 06:14 AM   #16505
KLynch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Baltimore
Posts: 1,782
Likes (Received): 229

It's not a bad option. But If you work in sales, or have your own business, or move around a lot, it's not a realistic option. My minutes in the day are very valuable as are many people's. I can get to Fell's Point in 5-10 minutes, it takes me longer than that to walk to the bus stop, let alone wait for it to get there, ride it, wait for another bus, and finally get there.

This is a city that needs cars, and while mass transit is great let's not pretend like it works for everyone. I think most people in my neighborhood (The one where we should feel so fortunate to be here and not worry about building stuff without parking) only use the CCC occasionally. If you compare the amount of cars on Rte 2 to the amount of people at the Bus/CCC stops at 8am, it's probably at least 100/1
KLynch está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #16506
RavensFan0606
Registered User
 
RavensFan0606's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Patterson Park
Posts: 224
Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch View Post
If you compare the amount of cars on Rte 2 to the amount of people at the Bus/CCC stops at 8am, it's probably at least 100/1
And this is what needs to change.
__________________
SUPPORT THE RED LINE
RavensFan0606 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 06:50 PM   #16507
Infoman
/BMOREBOY
 
Infoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Greenville
Posts: 2,990
Likes (Received): 67

^agreed.
__________________
-Infoman/BMOREBOY
Infoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #16508
baltimoreisbest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 361
Likes (Received): 16

Does anyone know if the old Provident Bank building is slated to undergo renovation/conversion to rental at any point in the near future?
baltimoreisbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #16509
oneworld25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 210
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch View Post
My neighborhood has a really bad parking situation, and I wouldn't describe most of us as having nice cars or expensive real estate. When I get off of work at 11pm on a Friday and get home and have to park a mile from my house, I certainly don't sit around and think, wow, I'm just lucky to be here. By no means should I seek that real estate codes exist, or that the city cares about it's residents, or that parking should ever be considered. Let's not care about what really matters, let's all just live an architects dream, and make every thing like NYC and not worry about what actually matter to our citizens. Taller buildings, no street parking lots, don't worry about parking, build, build, build! What a great idea.

Let's get real here, we have a virtually non existent rail system, a bus/CCC system that turns a 5 minute ride into a half an hour, and a bunch of cab drivers that live to screw you over. This is a car city, and gosh forbid these greedy developers, who many times don't even live in this state, don't get their way because they are trying to build something without parking.

I a meeting with Councilman Cole next week and the first thing I am asking him is about parking and what can be done. I'd be willing to bet all the money in the world he doesn't laugh.
I'm a little surprised to be hearing this from you. I get the idea from your posts that your politics lean to the right. So I assume you believe in the free market and less government regulation. Yet you seem to think it is ok for the government to force developers into providing more parking than they otherwise would in order to meet some sort of arbitrary parking requirement. UCLA professor of urban planning, Donald Shoup has done a great deal of research on this issue and has shown that parking requirements increase sprawl, discourage density, and even increase the cost of housing!

See these links for what I'm talking about:

http://www.uctc.net/papers/351.pdf
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/15/bu...my/15view.html

Shoup's book, the High Cost of Free Parking is also an interesting read, for those who are interested in the subject.
oneworld25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #16510
rockin'.baltimorean
Registered User
 
rockin'.baltimorean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Owings Mills, Md. / Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 6,025
Likes (Received): 1250

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreisbest View Post
Does anyone know if the old Provident Bank building is slated to undergo renovation/conversion to rental at any point in the near future?
where is this building located?
__________________
B'more Birds' Nest..........Go Orioles!!!! Go Ravens!!!!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
rockin'.baltimorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #16511
oneworld25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 210
Likes (Received): 1

I also wanted to post this story about a new apartment complex in Santa Monica that is being built without any parking whatsoever. If LA the car capital of the world can become a transit friendly city, then Baltimore certainly can.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2011/1...evelopment.php

Quote:
What is the world coming to? The city of Santa Monica this week approved a development agreement for a 56 unit mixed-use building in its downtown core and didn't ask the developer to build any parking. The development will be located on a 7,500 square foot parcel at Broadway and Fourth on the site of an existing auto repair facility (is that unintentional irony?). The site is one block from the future Expo Line terminus at the corner of Fourth Street and Colorado Avenue, so people who live in the new building could commute from Santa Monica to Culver City or Downtown LA or Pasadena and not even have to own a car. What is this, Chicago?

The Lookout News reports that, instead of building parking, project developer Steve Henry will pay $125,000 for transit improvements (to "help offset to cost of building bike lanes, the Esplanade project on Colorado Avenue, the Expo Light Rail line and other transit projects") and contribute a laundry list of other benefits (according to the development agreement, those include a Transportation Demand Management plan, "round floor arcade that enhances the adjacent sidewalks," extra affordable units, minimum LEED Silver certification, rooftop solar panels, and a local hiring provision for construction).

The five story building (56 feet tall) will include 48 studios, eight one bedrooms, and 4,159 square feet of ground floor commercial space, which the LN says will house a restaurant. And just to repeat: no on-site parking. The project is designed by Michael Folonis.
oneworld25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #16512
KLynch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Baltimore
Posts: 1,782
Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneworld25 View Post
I'm a little surprised to be hearing this from you. I get the idea from your posts that your politics lean to the right. So I assume you believe in the free market and less government regulation. Yet you seem to think it is ok for the government to force developers into providing more parking than they otherwise would in order to meet some sort of arbitrary parking requirement. .
This has absolutely nothing to do with politics. This has everything to do with the building codes that particular neighborhoods desire. I am pro business, but all things have to abide by rules. If you try to build things in neighborhoods that the neighborhood doesn't approve of it is a slap in the face to that neighborhood and a selfish money grab.

Clearly you guys just don't get it when it comes to parking in relation to how it effects the residents in these areas. I suggest going to a SBNA, Fed Hill, or Locust Point meeting and tell these people your ideas about parking. See how well that goes over? See what the first thing a developer is grilled about when proposing anything. And guess what, we get what we want because of it. Isn't that democracy at it's finest? Mt. Vernon didn't approve of that building.... it is what it is... back to the drawing board or show you care about what the community cares about.

The fact that there is so much resistance to parking requirements just boggles my mind and we'll just have to agree to disagree. We have a good conversation going on about it on the South Baltimore board, it you want to read more about why cars are so important to your average professional down here.
KLynch está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #16513
New_Balto
God's Most Chosen
 
New_Balto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Balto., Mary_Land 212**; 30-some odd miles Nor'east of lil' bro D.C.
Posts: 1,486
Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'.baltimorean View Post
where is this building located?
I thought everyone knew where to find Provident Bank, which is 114 E. Lexington St., corner of Lexington & Calvert:http://maps.google.com/maps?q=114+Ea...QyuS_e0YGt_VWw



Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreisbest View Post
Does anyone know if the old Provident Bank building is slated to undergo renovation/conversion to rental at any point in the near future?
This was one of Baltimore's last and largest home grown banks that also got caught up in the housing boom/bust.

This location is now an M&T Bank branch.
__________________
~****~****~****~
BALTIMORE: "Greatest City On Earth"

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Balto View Post
Quote:
There are some people who think I made Baltimore look bad but they mostly hate the Wire. And the Wire’s the best show to ever be on television. Apart from Pee-wee’s Playhouse and Howdy Doody.
- John Waters

Last edited by New_Balto; March 4th, 2012 at 10:34 PM.
New_Balto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 01:47 AM   #16514
delawhere
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 120
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch View Post
This has absolutely nothing to do with politics. This has everything to do with the building codes that particular neighborhoods desire. I am pro business, but all things have to abide by rules. If you try to build things in neighborhoods that the neighborhood doesn't approve of it is a slap in the face to that neighborhood and a selfish money grab.

Clearly you guys just don't get it when it comes to parking in relation to how it effects the residents in these areas. I suggest going to a SBNA, Fed Hill, or Locust Point meeting and tell these people your ideas about parking. See how well that goes over? See what the first thing a developer is grilled about when proposing anything. And guess what, we get what we want because of it. Isn't that democracy at it's finest? Mt. Vernon didn't approve of that building.... it is what it is... back to the drawing board or show you care about what the community cares about.

The fact that there is so much resistance to parking requirements just boggles my mind and we'll just have to agree to disagree. We have a good conversation going on about it on the South Baltimore board, it you want to read more about why cars are so important to your average professional down here.
It would be better to spend money on things other than parking, like improved transit. We can listen to the voices that shout the most (like at your meetings) or we can go with ample research into why more and more parking is a bad idea.

Just because you love your car culture, just because you may need a car for your job, does not make you the majority or the example we should cater to.

More and more subsidized parking in Fed Hill is a bad idea. It will hurt the neighborhood more than help it.
delawhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 02:03 AM   #16515
rockin'.baltimorean
Registered User
 
rockin'.baltimorean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Owings Mills, Md. / Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 6,025
Likes (Received): 1250

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
Has anyone else noticed red squares with white x's appearing on vacant buildings throughout the city? Does anyone know what these signify?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDre26 View Post
If you see that sign, it basically means "most dilapidated house on the block:" they tell firefighters that in case the building is on fire, the roof is already collapsed or unstable.
well, if you consider the fact that dilapidated homes (such as this one below @ the corner of Ayrdale Ave. & Garrison Blvd) are hot beds for dead bodies, squatters, the homeless, & deliberately-started fires, wouldn't it make sense to simply knock it down?


just sayin'...


__________________
B'more Birds' Nest..........Go Orioles!!!! Go Ravens!!!!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
rockin'.baltimorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 02:09 AM   #16516
KLynch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Baltimore
Posts: 1,782
Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawhere View Post
It would be better to spend money on things other than parking, like improved transit. We can listen to the voices that shout the most (like at your meetings) or we can go with ample research into why more and more parking is a bad idea.

Just because you love your car culture, just because you may need a car for your job, does not make you the majority or the example we should cater to.

More and more subsidized parking in Fed Hill is a bad idea. It will hurt the neighborhood more than help it.
I'm out!
KLynch está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #16517
rockin'.baltimorean
Registered User
 
rockin'.baltimorean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Owings Mills, Md. / Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 6,025
Likes (Received): 1250

the new metro west social security administration campus is movin' right along.....











__________________
B'more Birds' Nest..........Go Orioles!!!! Go Ravens!!!!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
rockin'.baltimorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 03:06 AM   #16518
CrazyDre26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Remington
Posts: 254
Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch View Post
I'm out!
KLynch, I agree with many of your points. There ought to be a fair balance.

Currently, our city's zoning code mandates suburban-style development with large setbacks from the street and (in my opinion) excessive amounts of off street parking spaces. Since the typical structured parking space costs anywhere from $15,000 to $30,000 to build, developers are discouraged from undertaking big projects in Baltimore, which prevents us from achieving higher density and making public transit more practical.

On the other hand there are cities built exclusively for cars like Atlanta, Houston and Phoenix just to name a few, that have ample parking just about everywhere. But they lack the vibrant street life present in a compact, walkable neighborhood like South Baltimore. Living without a car there is really difficult, regardless of your profession.

Personally, I moved here from one of those cities and promptly sold my car, because getting around without one is easier here than anywhere I've ever lived (besides Germany). I work in real estate and have managed just fine, and that's while living in a neighborhood that has very little of the mixed uses and transit access that you have in SoBo.

Once upon a time, Fed Hill/Riverside/LP was once just another working class neighborhood where people didn't have to fight over parking spaces. If you feel so strongly about parking, perhaps you should consider moving to another part of the city where parking is a cinch. You could be a leader of another Baltimore neighborhood's urban renaissance. You could buy three houses for the same price as your tony Riverside rowhome. We would certainly welcome more people (income-earning professionals) like you up here in Remington!
CrazyDre26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 03:39 AM   #16519
KLynch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Baltimore
Posts: 1,782
Likes (Received): 229

I've already lived through the renaissance of South Baltimore, I don't have the energy for another one. I hope the best for Remington, those areas between Mt. Vernon and CV have serious momentum right now.

I don't want to live in the type of place where parking was just fine, and then a developer builds an apartment building with no regard for the neighborhood and all the sudden I can't park when I get home from work late at night, or have plans at night or sometimes even at 7pm.

I've probably had 7 different roommates and not a single one of them could have existed without a car between job demands and grad school programs in areas not accessible by mass transit, or mass transit wouldn't get them there on time. I have a rental house same thing with all 8 tenants I've had.

A lot of people live in SoBo because they can get out of the city quickly, making it ideal for jobs with responsibilities in the burbs or DC or people with family responsibilities in the burbs. I have one friend who took the CCC to work, and he had to stop because he almost got fired for being late too many times... he now drives.

Here's the question is it worth losing many of these people just because we don't consider parking? Or should we just wait around for the people who want to live the ultra urban lifestyle? Also, people need to keep the perspective of people who grew up around here. Many of us have family within 45 minutes of here and they aren't willing to come pick you up all the time. I've only known one person not to have a car down here, and she was from Illinois and worked downtown.

There are several properties down here that would have been developed a long time ago if they were that desirable. It would be no sweat off the city's back to throw a couple tax breaks at a few properties to help a developer willing to build a garage. And all those who love the CCC so much will benefit too because it will create more "Parking Taxes" the thing that funds the CCC. A few hundred more parking spots would go a long way in benefiting the existing properties and existing small businesses. And probably help to keep more people around when their kids are in middle school.

Last edited by KLynch; March 5th, 2012 at 03:47 AM.
KLynch está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 05:20 AM   #16520
scando
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 4,723
Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
Its not just waterfront neighborhoods. I live in Mt Vernon and parking is tough here. Good point, well taken though.
Yes. In one of my previous lives, I lived in Mt Vernon. My choices were between no car and 30 parking tickets per month like the other people in my building. With no realistic transit, I made the decision everybody I knew around there made sooner or later, which was to move out of the city. Later on, I moved back, but in a neighborhood where having a car was realistic. Next time I moved it was the other big trump card, which is kids and schools. Some years ago, the City decided to require parking with new downtown buildings. It's intrusive and expensive for developers, but I don't know how they could NOT do that. Not having parking is a recipe for empty buildings. Unfortunately just putting good schools into the building code isn't as simple as requiring parking spaces. I am really curious about the new Mt Vernon Mill re-building in Hampden. It isn't obvious that there's any place to park THERE either since it's 50 feet straight down to the Jones Falls.
scando no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
baltimore, development, development summary

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu