daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > Transport and Infrastructure

Transport and Infrastructure Transport, infrastructure and other related discussions

Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:38 AM   #21
abckris

Likes (Received): 210

I don't think banning it is a solution because there are people who make honest living out of it. Regulation is the word. Regulation includes punishment for offenders. So I think some people who are responsible may be complicit that is why it is flourishing, for how would people collect metal pieces in broad daylight without someone arresting, prosecuting and jailing them? Something's got to give!!! Either the thieves or those responsible.
abckris no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 4th, 2012, 07:04 AM   #22
Arzedu

Likes (Received): 150

Vandals strike again! 40 street light poles gone! And there is a checkpoint nearby!

Vandals struck on Wednesday night and cut down over 40 street light poles along the stretch of road leading from the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport to Mombasa road. An eye witness Anthony Munene who works at the airport said he was reporting for work at around 5am in the morning while he noticed several young men carrying away the poles and loading them onto a lorry.
Unconfirmed reports indicated that the poles were in high demand from scrap metal dealers operating in Mlolongo who were offering the vandals huge sums for the poles and other metal. Vandals have also vandalised the railguard of the flyover at the railway crossing near General Motors. Last September, Roads minister Franklin Bett called for the banning of the scrap metal business which he said was contributing to the vandalisation of road signs and road rails.
The urged Prime Minister Raila Odinga to direct the relevant ministry to review the business if the road infrastructure is to be protected. Last month, Kenya Power managing director Eddy Njoroge said the company lost Sh30 million when a power line was brought down after vandals stole two steel towers at Lukenya, Machakos county "Vandalism does not affect KPLC alone but the entire Kenyan economy," Njoroge said and estimated that the company has lost about Sh6 billion to vandals in the last ten years. He estimated the loss to the national economy stood at over Sh11 billion over the same period. Vandalism has also forced the Nairobi City council to introduce plastic covers for manholes two years ago after all the metal covers were stolen.

Source: The Star (http://www.the-star.co.ke/national/n...oad-vandalised)
Arzedu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #23
tallglassy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 527

Ban the scrap metal trade!
tallglassy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #24
Malaika254

Likes (Received): 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallglassy View Post
At the rate this thing is increasing, it seems to be the only viable solution.
Malaika254 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #25
Mistah ILL WILL
My Name In Arabic is وليم

Likes (Received): 271

When I was young ... I recall some streetlights were made out of concrete .... simple solution revert back to this ... end of story .....
Old March 4th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #26
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistah ILL WILL View Post
When I was young ... I recall some streetlights were made out of concrete .... simple solution revert back to this ... end of story .....
I think you are refering to the streetlight poles one finds in areas like the CBD. Those street poles were imported from the UK before independence but outlived even the earlier metallic poles that used to be painted green with a white base (for those of you who still remember Nairobi before the 90's).

I think thats a very practical idea when it comes to the street lights but what about the rest of the street furniture? The rails, signage? Im sorry but I support a total ban on this trade. Its the most practical solution to this problem.
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #27
JARIBU

Likes (Received): 114

And if it cannot be banned, then use alternatives: like concrete light poles and barriers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallglassy View Post
JARIBU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #28
samounde

Likes (Received): 38

yep i agree. 40 street lamps and they even got a lorry to transport them..this is horrible
samounde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 12:46 AM   #29
kaguangi1

Likes (Received): 206

police wewe wacha kulala there are known metal dealers in kenya why is it zoo hard to investigate all them am sure they are five.
kaguangi1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 05:16 AM   #30
Arzedu

Likes (Received): 150

Kenya's biggest flaw rests with the so-called police. They are basically a bunch of criminals. For how else do you explain the fact that while these 'dealers' were busy carting away the poles, the police checkpoint at JKIA main entrance was barely a km away? Once I was being dropped by a taxi at the airport, and they asked my taxi man, "Do you have a certificate for tinting the car?" I nearly dropped off my rocker with my guffaw.
Arzedu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #31
samounde

Likes (Received): 38

My friend in nakuru was telling me that they steal bars from your windows and even gates when they know that ur not around. How do you protect window bars and the gate?
samounde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #32
Mistah ILL WILL
My Name In Arabic is وليم

Likes (Received): 271

Bandits @ it already ......

Old March 8th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #33
Adm.Adama

Likes (Received): 1251

"We are behaving worse than Animals" hahaha Oh Philip you're just to funny but you have a point kenyans need to start behaving like they are the 21th century and ban all scrap metal trading for atleast 10years until the situation is under control
Adm.Adama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #34
Dhuks

Likes (Received): 703

Next time you spend a whole day wondering why your internet connection is crawling, dont blame the gods.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old May 1st, 2012, 02:11 AM   #35
KaiserSoze

Likes (Received): 240

Vandalism of metal fixtures is similar to poaching.In the case of poaching, the dealers are foreign, hence it's practical for the KWS to enact a shoot to kill policy when it comes to poachers.So long as there are scrap metal dealers willing to pay for stolen goods, this form of crime will continue. Go after the metal dealers and put them out of business completely!

Somehow I think that the scrap metal dealers cant be that many in Kenya which means that they make a lot of money with enough left over to bribe the police to look the other way. If the punishment for dealing in this illicit trade is multiplied tenfold & enforced, you will see less & less of it. Cause & effect.
KaiserSoze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:22 AM   #36
Dhuks

The madness is not stopping anytime soon, these thieves have taken to looting anything on site and the town authorities are beginning to wake up, the trade has been banned in Nakuru and webuye towns, how i wish Nairobi was awake to the danger posed by these merchants
Old June 17th, 2012, 03:48 AM   #37
KaiserSoze

Quote:
Originally Posted by donddon View Post
They need to ban all those businesses that deal in scrap metal.Or they could introduce a regulatory body that oversee's this jua kali businesses.For intance the "shops" that sell used car parts(lights), we all know most of those come from cars waiting in traffic, how about issuing serial numbers for legit second hand parts, should also be extended to the scrap metal dealers.

The Kenya Police were curtailed by the new laws and can't do much against the scrap metal dealers who still operate feverishly at the expense of the taxpayer.
The Police wanted an across the board ban on the business or strictly regulate it but the legislators in some of the most affected areas are against the restrictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royco mchuzi View Post
yaani zinabebwa mchana!Something is really wrong!
They pose as construction workers during the day when they cut it and then come back at night to haul it away when the cops aren't vigilant.
Old June 17th, 2012, 04:07 AM   #38
KaiserSoze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arzedu View Post

Vandals struck on Wednesday night and cut down over 40 street light poles along the stretch of road leading from the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport to Mombasa road.

Source: The Star (http://www.the-star.co.ke/national/n...oad-vandalised)
It takes a long time to cut down over 40 electric lighting poles... Considering that the vandals were cautiously avoiding getting electrocuted, they really took their sweet time to accomplish that! That means that there wasn't a single police patrol on that stretch of road for over 3 hours OR the cops stopped by the crime scene and took a bribe and went on their way. The road from the country's main international airport has to be one of the most policed roadways in the country..... but sadly, not in Kenya. Disgusting.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:30 PM   #39
Dhuks

Kiambu road vandals have no mercy on the copper cables

Photo credits to Kenha
Old October 3rd, 2012, 02:25 PM   #40
Malaika254

Likes (Received): 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhuks View Post
Kiambu road vandals have no mercy on the copper cables