daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Miami > Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 11th, 2011, 05:59 AM   #41
bigswingingschlong

Likes (Received): 10

Last edited by bigswingingschlong; March 1st, 2012 at 06:25 AM.
bigswingingschlong no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 13th, 2011, 02:39 AM   #42
Architek

Likes (Received): 85

Since we're talking of Pei, here's his firms (Pei, Cobb, Freed) last completed skyscraper, Palazzo Lombardia...
Architek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #43
South Florida

Likes (Received): 545

Is this proposal still alive?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
South Florida no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 02:42 AM   #44
Jay

Likes (Received): 551

probably not
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 06:29 AM   #45
casamagda

Likes (Received): 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida View Post
Is this proposal still alive?
Short answer, yes.
It is a project, and developers are working through the development process...it takes time.
They aren't really proposing anything. Espacio owns the land, and they know what they want to do with it. Now they work through the myriad of steps and tasks that are necessary to make it happen.

This project is ambitious and beautiful.
casamagda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #46
FTL Beach Bum

Likes (Received): 292

Whatever it is, it won't/can't be 744 feet.

FTL Beach Bum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #47
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 13997

Quote:
Originally Posted by casamagda View Post
Short answer, yes.
It is a project, and developers are working through the development process...it takes time.
They aren't really proposing anything. Espacio owns the land, and they know what they want to do with it. Now they work through the myriad of steps and tasks that are necessary to make it happen.

This project is ambitious and beautiful.
With Espacio behind it, it sounds almost like a given along the lines of Brickell Citicentre, but FTL Beach Bum is right. It probably will not be approved at 744 feet.

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #48
casamagda

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
With Espacio behind it, it sounds almost like a given along the lines of Brickell Citicentre, but FTL Beach Bum is right. It probably will not be approved at 744 feet.
It is a terrible thread title.

One thing is remains unchanged in skyscraper development and that is that just about everything changes.

Heights, floors, uses, owners, architects, completion dates, tennants, designs, owners, development partners, tenants, etc.

For now, it would be best to name the thread:
1400 Biscayne Blvd - Espacio USA

Those two facts probably won't change much in the next 3 years.
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #49
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

1400 Biscayne Blvd - Espacio USA

New thread title!

My photo threads:

Old February 15th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #50
UrbanImpact

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by DShoost88 View Post
I agree with the points made by you and others that it may be counterintuitive to move the airport and that it is one of the largest economic engines in South Florida. But I'm somewhat offended that you would assert my only reasoning for a relocation of MIA further west would be to increase the height(s) of a few buildings downtown. Allow me to explain.

MIA is encroached by development on all sides. There is little (if any) available land left for the runways to be extended and widened to accommodate the larger aircrafts that will be demanded by future air travelers. Furthermore, he terminals at MIA are only a few face-lifts away from becoming outdated, obsolete, and unable to meet the potential traffic demand that could enter Miami. (Now that I think about it, all of these problems are affecting FLL airport as well).

After personally flying to Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, and Bangkok and witnessing the jaw-dropping gateways they've erected for their cities, it has struck me how short-sighted and unprepared virtually all American airports are to compete with the global economy. Those cities have all built brand new mega airports in the last 15 years with gargantuan international terminal entries and countless acres of available space for runway/terminal expansion. They've also constructed the infrastructure necessary to transport passengers quickly from their airports to their central business districts, via high speed rail or even MAGLEV trains... making the trip in as little as 10-15 minutes.

Call me crazy, but I'm just trying to think outside the box for a change.
How is it going to get paid for? If I were to have my taxes increased for a grand transportation project, it would be for a better mass transit system in South Florida that involved lots of rail instead of a mega airport over the Everglades or in the sea.

UrbanImpact no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 04:08 AM   #51
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 732

Yeah really, MIA may not be like those grandiose airports in those countries you might like to brag about, but I'd be willing to bet a dollar you wouldn't want to live in any of them (For example I love how both the far left and far right, as well as everyone in between loves to showcase different aspects of how China does things, while their basic morals are the polar opposite of their general natrure; right-communism; left-child labor, income inequality, supression of poor, etc).

I certainly don't hear too many complaints about MIA.

Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 04:27 AM   #52
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

If we did things the way the Chinese did them, Americans would think we were trying to bring back slavery. China has lots of cheap labor willing to sacrifice for the good of the new China. Rather than moving the airport to the Everglades or putting the damn thing out in the ocean, it is much more expedient to develop the 79th Street business district and simply have it be uptown Miami. There we could build as tall as we wanted.

My photo threads:

Old February 26th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #53
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami High Rise View Post
Yeah really, MIA may not be like those grandiose airports in those countries you might like to brag about, but I'd be willing to bet a dollar you wouldn't want to live in any of them (For example I love how both the far left and far right, as well as everyone in between loves to showcase different aspects of how China does things, while their basic morals are the polar opposite of their general natrure; right-communism; left-child labor, income inequality, supression of poor, etc).

I certainly don't hear too many complaints about MIA.
You are missing the point. China is not the issue. HK does not have China's justice or political system, and their airport is beautiful. Have you seen the new Haneda airport in Tokyo, it is beautiful too. Check out LHR terminal 5 too. All those airports destroy the airports in this country. That is because airports in this country are built with the 'bottom line mentality' rather than building something beautiful for the people to experience. MIA is a travesty.

If you noticed he posted pictures of Bangkok and HKIA which are not in Mainland China and kill anything we have here. Of course, Asians are very concerned with creating a good impression for visitors. When you let an airline like AA try and build a terminal you get cost-cutting and utilitarian design rather than a grand gateway to your city. They should have built MIA with a south florida feel to it, rather than another boring grey heavy feeling terminal building that could have been from Detroit or Chicago.

TBH, even small airports like FLL have a nicer more open terminal feeling than MIA.

Last edited by aquablue; February 26th, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #54
casamagda

Quote:
New thread title!
Well done sir!
Old February 27th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #55
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by casamagda View Post
Well done sir!
So chances are pretty good that we will see a 600-feet tall tower here at some point in the future?

My photo threads:

Old March 4th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #56
casamagda

Quote:
So chances are pretty good that we will see a 600-feet tall tower here at some point in the future?
Close to it, now it is looking like a small office building and a 54 story tower.
Old October 18th, 2012, 02:17 AM   #57
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 18541

I.M. Pei's Old Firm Does Two 80s-rific Towers For Biscayne Blvd

Quote:
The firm of retired iconic 20th century architect I. M. Pei has designed two towers - a little one and a big one - for 1400 Biscayne Boulevard, just north of the Arsht Center, for spanish developers Espacio. Designed with lots of 45 degree angles, muted colors (is that a marble facade or exposed concrete). and a large slab-like form, the tower just screams.. well, it screams a few things. First, it's kinda Brutalist. Second, it's very 80s (like, oh yeah, the Miami Tower, that wedding-cake shaped building Pei built in Miami in the 80s). Third, there's a very 'Miami in the 80s' aspect about it. Is it not reminiscent of the Intercontinental?

To be built in two phases, the project will consist of a ten floor office tower rising to 173 feet, and a 65 floor residential/office tower of 651 feet, which sounds a bit low for 65 floors. Yes, the norm for a skyscraper is 10 vertical feet per floor, but what about mechanical, superstructure, and all that jazz? The lower building will be closer to the Arsht, so as not to overwhelm it. Plazas will face the buildings on two sides, and the garage and amenity deck will be pushed to the back, kind of hiding that tower-on-pedastal look typical of Miami.

http://miami.curbed.com/archives/201...i-building.php

Last edited by desertpunk; October 18th, 2012 at 02:23 AM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #58
dave8721

Likes (Received): 3420

Looks like a 650 foot version of the Stephen P Clark building:

dave8721 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #59
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 926

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Looks like a 650 foot version of the Stephen P Clark building:
^ I hope not!

Bobdreamz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #60
CF221

Likes (Received): 581

well, actually guys, I'm not very fond of brutalism, but I really like the Stephen Clark building, mainly because it looks so much more civic and formal than so many of the other usual condo towers which clutter downtown. However, I don't think 1400 biscayne should revert to the 80's... just look at the complex, it looks dated. You kind of wonder how long this building will be considered "up to par" with neighboring constructions...

CF221 no está en línea   Reply With Quote