daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 6th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #141
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 60

I can see what the architect's are proposing but I'm not sure if I really like it. The cladding is overdesigned and spoils it IMO

Look at how good the new build on Baqot Street has been, what's wrong with making it a single colour? Is another 'shouty' building needed between the Cube, Libray and V?

I personally feel that random panel cladding is only successful is it is truly random or if they're very, very subtle tonal variations. Similar cladding approaches to this building were done with the cube and Bournville college and both have spectacularly failed to get it right.

Last edited by U475 Foxtrot; March 6th, 2012 at 08:07 PM.
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old March 6th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #142
U475 Foxtrot

I've just check the RAL colours and sadly the photos Stiggy posted are a pretty good representation.
Old March 6th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #143
sefton66

Likes (Received): 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Stiggy- View Post
May be worth a new thread?
Here you go...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1494504
sefton66 no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2014, 05:32 PM   #144
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 1178

I'm just putting two and two together here, no concrete evidence or facts, however someone mentioned the other day that Hodders and Partners could potentially be taking on the V Building and a potential redesign.

The V Building site is still owned by Dandara and the same partnership (Dandara & Hodder and Partners) seem to have relighted the fire at a 40 storey scheme in Manchester.

With the housing market on the up and being part of the Enterprise Zone along with the news that the Birmingham City Council and The HCA are to enter into a loan agreement and act as the accountable body for administration purposes to facilitate a LIF loan to Arena Central Developments - could this be rising from the ashes again??
Birmingham no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2014, 06:03 PM   #145
Harborne Ultimatum
The One

Likes (Received): 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
I'm just putting two and two together here, no concrete evidence or facts, however someone mentioned the other day that Hodders and Partners could potentially be taking on the V Building and a potential redesign.

The V Building site is still owned by Dandara and the same partnership (Dandara & Hodder and Partners) seem to have relighted the fire at a 40 storey scheme in Manchester.

With the housing market on the up and being part of the Enterprise Zone along with the news that the Birmingham City Council and The HCA are to enter into a loan agreement and act as the accountable body for administration purposes to facilitate a LIF loan to Arena Central Developments - could this be rising from the ashes again??
I really hope so, but only if they lose the 'demented Lego' look. It would look so much better if every 5x2 block in that render was just one colour each instead:

Harborne Ultimatum está en línea ahora  
Old April 28th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #146
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Are you talking about the hotel or V Tower?
Old April 28th, 2014, 10:08 PM   #147
U475 Foxtrot

The demented lego building is the Sedus warehouse in dogern and it does look really good in real life.

Personally I'm not keen on Plot F / Holiday Inn Express as I think it will date badly and will look cheap unless the detailing, finish and workmanship is brilliant.

image hosted on flickr

Harborne Ultimatum liked this post
Old April 28th, 2014, 11:25 PM   #148
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 714

When is this kicking off anyways?

ReissOmari no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2014, 12:04 PM   #149
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 123

Dandara is reviving its portfolio now the economy is picking up so I am sure they are looking at this. It might only be to bolster their balance sheet though.

I have also seen a 20-ish storey office tower planned for the middle of Arena Central but I'm not getting too excited yet.

Mercurius liked this post
Biosonic no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2014, 12:11 PM   #150
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Either way there seems to be a bit more movement on it. They will have taken heart from 1 Hagley Road selling 200 apartments off plan and also the thriving rental market.

Interesting about the potential office tower.
Old April 29th, 2014, 04:28 PM   #151
Mercurius
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 49

Cheers for that snippet Bio, I am only glad Arena Central may actually be on the cards once more. At long last.
Mercurius no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2014, 04:48 PM   #152
Harborne Ultimatum
The One

Likes (Received): 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by U475 Foxtrot View Post
The demented lego building is the Sedus warehouse in dogern and it does look really good in real life.

Personally I'm not keen on Plot F / Holiday Inn Express as I think it will date badly and will look cheap unless the detailing, finish and workmanship is brilliant.
Agree. Unless the workmanship is exceptional that thing is going to look like it was built by communists on a budget.
Harborne Ultimatum está en línea ahora  
Old April 29th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #153
brum2003

Likes (Received): 112

Interesting the Manchester one is first out of the blocks - hope they don't spend so long getting it through planning that they kiss the housing boom - again....
brum2003 no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2014, 05:21 PM   #154
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Fortunately the housing boom is more down to shortfall which isn't going to change anytime soon unless we treble the number of houses we're currently building.

It was the salable returns and yields for investors that prevented many significant schemes. I think with the current market and future trends more and more stalled schemes will be revisited.

Dandara is a northern company so it's no real surprise they are starting closer to home. Seven Capital are doing it in Brum for us.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:20 AM   #155
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Quote:

Quote from ACD - 23/05/2014

..."Wallis added that developer Dandara, which bought a proposed 50-storey residential scheme at Arena Central in 2004, was close to unveiling scaled down plans for a tower scheme “soon”."...

Note, It's still a tower - I suspect something thinner, cheaper, but not much shorter.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:43 AM   #156
joshwebb

Likes (Received): 34

Any idea of when we can expect an app for it?
joshwebb no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:55 AM   #157
djay
Chartered Town Planner

Likes (Received): 166

Just states soon in the article

Two Weeks Notice
djay no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:08 AM   #158
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

I'm actually looking forward to this. I liked the V Tower but I thought it was a bit boxy. I hope it's something that's designed with a pinnacle. Anything 10-20m taller than Alpha would be nice.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:41 AM   #159
Bachy Soletanche

Likes (Received): 1556

Quote:
I'm actually looking forward to this. I liked the V Tower but I thought it was a bit boxy. I hope it's something that's designed with a pinnacle. Anything 100-200m taller than Alpha would be nice.
Improved it for ya..

Brum Knows Best liked this post
Bachy Soletanche está en línea ahora  
Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:48 AM   #160
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 142

i hope for taller than Alpha tower....

Closed Thread