daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Sri Lanka > Construction Projects

Construction Projects Updating construction projects be it proposed, u/c or completed

Old February 26th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #61
Amal

Likes (Received): 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
I am sure all the economic advisors, business advisors and various pandiths have done lots of studies before starting this project. But it gives me a sort of an un easyness. 650+ rooms hotel is a Las-vegas hotel. While I am all for the idea of "Thinking Big" I am little concerned if we have room for 650 rooms of 5 star ++ accomdation in colombo.

Its best that Sri Lanka start taking few lessons from Dubai and other big-tourist-development bubles and start controling the future hotel room pipeline.

K.C
I think the 600 includes all the apartments as well. Also if I am not mistaken it is Shangri La that is building this hotel, not the government and I'm sure the company must have done some research before committing itself to building this.

Last edited by Amal; February 26th, 2012 at 04:36 PM.
Amal no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 26th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #62
Ashok

Likes (Received): 967

See that is what happen when you do things at 1 in the morning. If I have time I will get back to the drawing and change it.
Old February 26th, 2012, 06:50 PM   #63
FazilLanka

Likes (Received): 1

Shangri La is another addition to Colombo Skyline that will make a awesome beauty to Gale Face area.
FazilLanka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 04:33 AM   #64
Amal

Another pic:

http://www.dailynews.lk/2012/02/27/bus01.asp
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #65
dramirez

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amal

I think the 600 includes all the apartments as well. Also if I am not mistaken it is Shangri La that is building this hotel, not the government and I'm sure the company must have done some research before committing itself to building this.
Agreed and it's great to have a top quality hotelier in the country. Shangri-La really know a thing or two about service and product quality. Unfortunately most Sri Lankan hotels hit patrons with high taxes and room rates with little in the way of service or product quality. Recently I was in Thailand and Oman and you really get much more "hotel" for your dollar compared to Sri Lanka. Hopefully the Shangri-La will set the trend.

In addition, 600 rooms for a city hotel is quite big, and much needed for Colombo. Vegas style hotels have rooms in the order of 2000-3000 ... Some even having 5000 rooms.
dramirez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #66
fleaby

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanini View Post

Shangri La's 300 room resort in Hambantota according the The Island newspaper

http://www.island.lk/index.php?page_...de_title=14940

I'm highly skeptical of this illustration.
Does anyone know who the architect is for this Hambantota development?
fleaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #67
fleaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraprobe View Post
The much-anticipated construction of Shangri-La hotels in Sri Lanka worth $ 500 million will commence soon with the groundbreaking ceremonies of both properties being scheduled for later this week.
The groundbreaking ceremony of Shangri-La Hotel Colombo will be held this Friday at 10:28 a.m. under the patronage of Economic Development Minister Basil Rajapaksa, while the ceremony for Shangri-La Hambantota Resort and Spa will be held on Saturday at 11:22 a.m. under the patronage of Speaker of Parliament Chamal Rajapaksa and Hambantota District Development Committee MP Namal Rajapaksa.

Shangri-La Lanka is said to have invested US$ 125 million for the land facing the Galle Face Green promenade and another US$ 120 for the Hambantota Sitrakala Estate.

The Colombo development will feature a multi-use complex with high end retail facilities, deluxe apartments and a 650 key luxury hotel to be opened in 2014. The second property in the southern part of the country will be a 161 room and 20 villa beachside resort to be launched in 2013. Investment for both hotels is said to exceed US$ 500 million.
Hong Kong-based Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts is one of the world’s premier hotel companies currently owning/managing 72 hotels under the Shangri-La, Kerry and Traders brands with a room inventory of over 30,000. The group has a substantial development pipeline with projects in Canada, mainland China, India, Malaysia, Philippines, Mongolia, Qatar, Sri Lanka, Turkey and United Kingdom.

FT
Do you know who the architect is for the Colombo Shangri La?
fleaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #68
mrpanini

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaby View Post
Do you know who the architect is for the Colombo Shangri La?
Pretty sure they are not Sri Lankan. Search through the threads, there are a few posts somewhere about who we thought the possible architects might be. Sorry, can't remember when or where those posts are.
mrpanini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 05:05 AM   #69
sujaw

Likes (Received): 26

yesterday i was passing by the the area but still i don't see any construction work in the land. no crane or anything . i thought they started a week back but no sign of any construction though. anybody know when there going to start the construction work ?
sujaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #70
K.C.

Likes (Received): 52

Found this rendering of Shngrila. So far the best one I've seen
K.C. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #71
sujaw

Likes (Received): 26

i thought they build only one building. whats the other 2 buildings in the background?. shangri la going to build that too ?
sujaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #72
galtb

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaw View Post
i thought they build only one building. whats the other 2 buildings in the background?. shangri la going to build that too ?

I don't think so.. I guess they are some other buildings in background..
galtb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #73
Ashok

Likes (Received): 967

Lets be more optimistic. ;-)
Old March 18th, 2012, 03:12 AM   #74
ramendu.ganguly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecureilx View Post
Shang- or Shangri-lah, in the region, has some mixed developments, and in Singapore, it is a Hotel + service apartment, 5 star, and in another nearby country, they are on 5 star as well, with a mall, serviced apartments, non-serviced apartments and hotel.

Still i am a bit perplexed about the '7 star' thing .. well, as a matter of fact, not to be funny, but most 5 star hotels in CMB will struggle to get a 4 star rating elsewhere ..
I stayed at Hilton Colombo, and it was fantastic, definitely 5 star. But I remember being told many times that it was the only "international" 5 star hotel if that means anything. I heard that Taj Samudra is also supposed to be very good.
ramendu.ganguly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 03:33 AM   #75
ramendu.ganguly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

We have 5 Shangri La hotels in India at the moment, though they are building more. I've stayed in a couple and I would say they are very good.

If these hotels are completed on time, I will definitely head to Lanka in 2014 and make a visit to both Hambantota and Colombo.

Btw, aside from Colombo, which other cities in Lanka have domestic airports(if any)?
ramendu.ganguly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #76
lordvader

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by galtb View Post
I don't think so.. I guess they are some other buildings in background..
I was under the impression from the picture that the project consisted of the main hotel building + 2 apartment towers. Im probably wrong though.
lordvader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #77
saraprobe

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramendu.ganguly View Post
I stayed at Hilton Colombo, and it was fantastic, definitely 5 star. But I remember being told many times that it was the only "international" 5 star hotel if that means anything. I heard that Taj Samudra is also supposed to be very good.
Cinnamon Grand considered to be the best in Colombo not Hilton
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:36 AM   #78
claireyamashita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeel View Post
This is another location's existing hotel with similar layout. Concrete plans will help to affirm their intention.
AGREE!!
claireyamashita no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #79
Amal

Looks like nothing much is happening at the site?

Image: Islandlooks, March 19 2012
Old March 25th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #80
saraprobe

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amal View Post
Looks like nothing much is happening at the site?

Image: Islandlooks, March 19 2012
Hmmm

Tags
colombo, tourism