daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Delhi

Delhi Project News from the National Capital Region - Delhi, Gurgaon, Noida, Greater Noida, Ghaziabad, Faridabad, Manesar, Yeida



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 21st, 2012, 06:55 PM   #561
Cosmicbliss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,799
Likes (Received): 234

http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-F...e1-813983.aspx

Nobody’s baby: NCR dream left in tatters

The more things change, the more they remain the same. Alphonse Karr's observation has already been quoted to cliché. But nothing sums up the state of affairs in the National Capital Region better.

Five years since I wrote on the NCR woes in this space, things have changed. Delhi Metro has reached even Ghaziabad, radio taxis have started plying across the borders, and the Delhi stretch of NH-24 has turned eight-lane.

But to get to the Metro, one still has to depend on rickety eight-seaters, unmetered autos and cycle rickshaws. Radio taxis have been a godsend but the service is plagued by limited availability of the cabs. Thanks to Commonwealth Games infrastructure boom, the drive from the Nizamuddin Bridge to the UP border is smooth before cars pile up at the chicken neck on the other side of the UP Gate.

Despite its problems, the NCR is growing. In the last 10 years, when Delhi's population grew by 21%, NCR towns registered a growth of 55%. For the new migrants and the old residents who got priced out of Delhi, the NCR's "affordable" housing is tempting. But outside these gated communities, public facilities resemble that of a mufassil town. Bus service is non-existent. Except for 200-odd autos run by private companies in Gurgaon, autos in the NCR do not have fare meters. Shortage of power and water is acute. Barring Noida, absence of a garbage disposal system frequently leads to clogged sewage and stinky, flooded roads.

The NCR dream could have come good with some uniformity in the physical and social infrastructure - transport, housing, law and order, water, power, telecom, etc.

Delhi and all its satellite towns need a common development authority and a system that allows the police overlapping jurisdiction. To be fair, the Centre started planning well in time with the formation of a National Capital Region Planning Board (NCRPB) in 1985 for inter-state coordination, approval and execution of projects. But poor funding mechanism and no enforcement powers have crippled the board. No member state pays heed to its plans and recommendations.

As a result, proposals remain on paper even as the new ones are announced. Planners talk about high-speed train networks to ferry people from Meerut to Delhi under an hour but they have not yet ensured a simple three-wheeler ride across the NCR without passengers having to change autos and walk across every state border.

One half of the peripheral expressway, a ring road outside Delhi, is ready. The other half waits buried in the files for five years because the road ministry cannot decide what toll rates to charge. Cost escalation apart, the number of heavy vehicles that could have used the road to bypass Delhi, and hence decongest Capital's roads and connecting highways, has gone up from 80,000 to two lakh. Another project — the 18-km-long Northern Peripheral Expressway connecting NH-8 to Dwarka, bypassing the Gurgaon Expressway — is well past its deadline.

Centre-state and inter-state quibbling have meant that the NCR has too many barriers. Coordination still remains a casualty in spite of the fact that three of the four NCR states —Delhi, Haryana and Rajasthan — have Congress governments, and two are ruled by women chief ministers who should not have found it difficult to agree on certain civic and safety issues. Unless NCRPB is strengthened, possibly with better representation from the states, as a decision making, rather than mere planning, authority within the limits of India's federal structure, the NCR will remain a sum of disparate parts, dysfunctional, without a soul.
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old February 21st, 2012, 07:01 PM   #562
Cosmicbliss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,799
Likes (Received): 234

The big problem is that while Delhi Metro is expanding within Delhi, connectivity between Delhi and adjoining areas needs to be expanded vastly, both through DMRC and bus services. In addition, Gurgaon, Faridabad, Manesar, Noida, Greater Noida and Ghaziabad all need transport services within them. The problem in NCR is that Metro gets you to the station but its difficult to move around the NCR without your own vehicle. Gurgaon for example has virtually no public transport system. The challenge is three fold: expanding Metro throughout Delhi proper, better connectivity between Delhi and its adjoining regions and within those regions. RapidMetro Gurgaon is a good step but given how fast GG is growing, 7 km metro will be inadequate soon. They need to extend it at least 15-20 km. Of course there is already talk of that but we have to wait and see how it pans out. Too much of Delhi's transport development has focussed on building more flyovers, which eventually often doesn't have that much impact because public transport needs to focus on moving people, not vehicles. The goal has to be to make it as easy, convenient, safe and cheap to move around Delhi/NCR by public transport throughout the day. The whole focus should be on making it attractive for people to use public transport, not get cars to move faster.
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #563
Cosmicbliss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,799
Likes (Received): 234

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...agdish-mamgain


[B]Win-win situation for East[/B]
Risha Chitlangia, TNN Mar 6, 2012, 03.50AM IST
Tags:
TYADB|MCD|CWG|Arvinder Singh Lovely
NEW DELHI: On the face of it, the East corporation cannot boast good revenue generating areas vis-a-vis its sister corporations, North and South. It also doesn't have assets like the two other civic bodies. In fact, when the plan to split the Municipal Corporation of Delhi took shape, there were speculations that the East corporation would be the weakest of the three. But as the dynamics of the split became palpable, it appeared that this corporation would profit the most from the trifurcation.

Under the unified MCD, irrespective of whichever political party called the shots, the trans-Yamuna area had been neglected for long; but post-trifurcation, it is likely to attract a lot of attention. It is going to be a win-win situation for the residents of east Delhi whether the Congress or the BJP comes to power in this corporation. The Congress has a stronghold here by virtue of its two MPs, Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee president J P Aggarwal and Sandeep Dikshit. Then there are cabinet ministers Arvinder Singh Lovely and AK Walia, and several of chief minister Sheila Diskhit's confidants like Narender Nath, who belong here.



in the last few years, especially during the Commonwealth Games, majority of the development work in the area has been done by the Delhi government through the Trans Yamuna Area Development Board (TYADB). "In the last five years, BJP has not been able to do much work in the east. All developmental work in the areas has been done by the Congress,'' said JK Sharma, leader of the Opposition in the present MCD.

But MCD councillors say that with large parts of the area unauthorized, BJP couldn't use much of its fund in carrying out development work in the area. "A large portion of the councillors' fund couldn't be used in the area, as there were several unauthorized colonies. Only MLAs could carry out developmental work in these colonies. MCD is responsible for maintaining basic civic amenities only," said Dr VK Monga, BJP councilor from Kishna Nagar.

For the BJP-led MCD, east had been of little importance as the Delhi government had been pumping in a lot of money into the area. "MCD had carried out more developmental work in south, central and west Delhi," said a Congress councillor. "MCD spends 10% of its total funds in this area. A majority of the work sanctioned by TYADB is carried out by the MCD. Due to unauthorized colonies, MCD councillors are not able to use a good percentage of their funds in their wards," said Jagdish Mamgain, chairman of MCD's works committee.

With the Assembly and General Elections scheduled in the next two years, the Congress and BJP are likely to pump in funds for development. With the Metro link, flyovers, underpasses, renovated sports complexes and the like, the Congress has already taken the field aggressively. Residents say that the developmental work so far has been only in the outer region. But it is likely that if the Congress wins in the East corporation, then it will start developmental activities in the interiors, too. And if the BJP comes to power, it will do everything to take the area out of Congress' grip. "We have done a lot of work in the last few years. During the Commonwealth Games, a lot of projects were taken up that benefitted the area,'' said a Congress councillor.

The Congress will play the development card, but BJP is banking on the anti-incumbency factor against the Congress to win East corporation. "The Congress has failed miserably in honouring their promises. They have not been able to regularize the unauthorized colonies. Price rise, CWG scam will definitely haunt the party. With more than a lakh Poorvanchali voters with us, the BJP is going to win the East. The Congress has developed the main areas, but the int
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #564
Cosmicbliss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,799
Likes (Received): 234

http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-...e1-814972.aspx

Hi-five for flyovers


The most visible developments in the city during Sheila Dikshit's 13-year-old tenure are the flyovers and overall improved road infrastructure, according to most resident welfare associations (RWAs) in Delhi.
"It used to take hours to reach any part of south Delhi from west Delhi a


decade ago but flyovers have made our lives much easier," said Gulshan Rai of Janakpuri RWA.
PK Roy, Secretary, EPDP Association, CR Park, agrees but says the BRT corridor is a minus point.

Roy said Sheila Dikshit's government has performed satisfactorily in comparison to many other states and also keeping in mind the limitations posed by multiplicity of authorities in the Capital.

"The main problems we face are related to agencies like the Delhi Police, MCD and DDA where the Chief Minister doesn't have much role," said Pankaj Aggarwal of Delhi RWAs Joint Front.

On the government's Bhagidari Scheme, which sought to rope in RWAs in development work, there is a mixed reaction.

"The government is more citizen friendly and listens to people but Bhagidari has not worked well, despite good intentions of the CM," said Roy.
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #565
livelyfire
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 95
Likes (Received): 5

Property rates rising in Noida Sectors 76 and 78

Property rates are on the rise in Sectors 76 and 78 in Noida, due to its proximity to the Metro station and connectivity to the NCR through NH-24. A proposed Metro project and connectivity to other parts of the city are other factors propelling demand here.

Quality infrastructure is attracting major investments in this part of Noida. The capital value for apartments in these sectors is about Rs 3,000 to 5,000 per sq ft. Sector 78 has seen a rise of 5% in capital values in the October to December period compared to the July to September period. Sector 76 has seen a steep rise of 19% in the capital value of apartments in the same period.
livelyfire no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 05:50 AM   #566
UDHL
Registered User
 
UDHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Delhi, NYC
Posts: 353
Likes (Received): 145

Dirty place (ex: Govindpuri)

I dont know if this is the right place to bring up this topic...but I was wondering if Delhi government or private builders have some plans for places like govindpuri (located in south delhi). I have been to this place several number of times and it is nothing better than a filthy village. The bus stops are dirty, roads are cranked up, there is cow shit and dog poop all over, no sign of cleaners, extremely dirty parks, animals everywhere, pools of black colored water, red colored spits, dirty buildings, extremely narrow alleys, huge amounts of dust, hundreds of illeagle street vendors, etc (list can go on for ever).
Its just hard to think how do people live there...afterall its the best city of our great country...just pathetic how they collectively keep making that place more of a shithole day by day when it could have been something completely different. I know that govindpuri at one time used to be a part of kalkaji, kalkaji extension, c.r. park (all collective known as kalkaji back in the days). Ever since mcd/delhi govt decided to split it up, situation has become worse.
As long as we have places like these in the city how will we ever be able to claim the title of a modern city (let alone the most livable city).

Last edited by UDHL; March 12th, 2012 at 05:52 AM. Reason: forgot about heading
UDHL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 08:48 AM   #567
devendra1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune/Mumbai
Posts: 1,425
Likes (Received): 342

Quote:
Originally Posted by livelyfire View Post
Property rates rising in Noida Sectors 76 and 78

Quality infrastructure is attracting major investments in this part of Noida. The capital value for apartments in these sectors is about Rs 3,000 to 5,000 per sq ft.
Its good that the property rates in Noida are relatively less.
In fact I am surprised that they are lesser than outskirts of Proper Pune which is good, or is it just that these rates are limited to some specific sectors
devendra1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #568
livelyfire
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 95
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by devendra1 View Post
Its good that the property rates in Noida are relatively less.
In fact I am surprised that they are lesser than outskirts of Proper Pune which is good, or is it just that these rates are limited to some specific sectors
I agree with you as the prices are on an average high in NOIDA region.
livelyfire no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #569
UDHL
Registered User
 
UDHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Delhi, NYC
Posts: 353
Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by devendra1 View Post
Its good that the property rates in Noida are relatively less.
In fact I am surprised that they are lesser than outskirts of Proper Pune which is good, or is it just that these rates are limited to some specific sectors
Low prices are limited to certain sectors where land has recently been acquired and has minimum development in the area.
UDHL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #570
Cosmicbliss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,799
Likes (Received): 234

Devendra, while parts of Delhi have prices on par with expensive areas in Mumbai, parts of Delhi-NCR have property prices below Pune. Ghaziabad for example has property prices less than Pune/Bangalore though it has direct Metro connectivity. This disparity is on account of facilities being very unevenly distributed.
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #571
Cosmicbliss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,799
Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by devendra1 View Post
Its good that the property rates in Noida are relatively less.
In fact I am surprised that they are lesser than outskirts of Proper Pune which is good, or is it just that these rates are limited to some specific sectors
The disparity in development in Delhi is too high and governments have to look into the issue.
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #572
devendra1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune/Mumbai
Posts: 1,425
Likes (Received): 342

thanks all for the info.
devendra1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #573
bhasud
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by livelyfire View Post
Property rates rising in Noida Sectors 76 and 78

Property rates are on the rise in Sectors 76 and 78 in Noida, due to its proximity to the Metro station and connectivity to the NCR through NH-24. A proposed Metro project and connectivity to other parts of the city are other factors propelling demand here.

Quality infrastructure is attracting major investments in this part of Noida. The capital value for apartments in these sectors is about Rs 3,000 to 5,000 per sq ft. Sector 78 has seen a rise of 5% in capital values in the October to December period compared to the July to September period. Sector 76 has seen a steep rise of 19% in the capital value of apartments in the same period.

Will it be possible for u to list down some of the good projects in sec 76? M sorry if I am gng off track here...
bhasud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #574
Cosmicbliss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,799
Likes (Received): 234

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDHL View Post
I dont know if this is the right place to bring up this topic...but I was wondering if Delhi government or private builders have some plans for places like govindpuri (located in south delhi). I have been to this place several number of times and it is nothing better than a filthy village. The bus stops are dirty, roads are cranked up, there is cow shit and dog poop all over, no sign of cleaners, extremely dirty parks, animals everywhere, pools of black colored water, red colored spits, dirty buildings, extremely narrow alleys, huge amounts of dust, hundreds of illeagle street vendors, etc (list can go on for ever).
Its just hard to think how do people live there...afterall its the best city of our great country...just pathetic how they collectively keep making that place more of a shithole day by day when it could have been something completely different. I know that govindpuri at one time used to be a part of kalkaji, kalkaji extension, c.r. park (all collective known as kalkaji back in the days). Ever since mcd/delhi govt decided to split it up, situation has become worse.
As long as we have places like these in the city how will we ever be able to claim the title of a modern city (let alone the most livable city).
UHDL, one of the challenges in Delhi is that the government is quite focussed on big ticket projects and sometimes misses smaller things. Building a flyover or signal-free corridor or even Metro Line is not the same as urban planning or planning for the city. Planning is not just about projects. What happens is while big projects get all the media attention, smaller aspects get ignored. For example, a swanky new airport terminal has been built and kudos to it. But taking your area as an example, there are many areas like the one your referring who even within the Delhi-NCR growth story, are filthy and decrepit. Who is to blame here? Is it the MCD, councillors, Delhi government or someone else? Certainly the government is to blame. These bad areas have the problem of neglect. People in those areas are so used to bad conditions that they remain bad and since no tries to make a big issue of it, things don't improve. The media will focus on Delhi airport/railway station but problems of people in your area may never make it to the media spotlight and so they never get looked into. Theoretically there are elections but elections happen once in 5 years and often people get used to living in bad conditions that even elections don't make a difference. I am not very familiar with the exact area you're referring to but as long as people think things won't change, they won't. If there is some way of encouraging people to demand better amenities, that has to be the starting point.
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #575
Cosmicbliss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,799
Likes (Received): 234

First people's apathy has to go down, they have to be aware of their rights as citizens. They need to feel that we deserve better, we need better amenities. Then the elected representatives also have to want to improve things. Third, once both parties desire to do so, the councillors have to ensure that the government officials also work properly. All three are challenging in Delhi or India's scenario.
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #576
UDHL
Registered User
 
UDHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Delhi, NYC
Posts: 353
Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicbliss View Post
UHDL, one of the challenges in Delhi is that the government is quite focussed on big ticket projects and sometimes misses smaller things. Building a flyover or signal-free corridor or even Metro Line is not the same as urban planning or planning for the city. Planning is not just about projects. What happens is while big projects get all the media attention, smaller aspects get ignored. For example, a swanky new airport terminal has been built and kudos to it. But taking your area as an example, there are many areas like the one your referring who even within the Delhi-NCR growth story, are filthy and decrepit. Who is to blame here? Is it the MCD, councillors, Delhi government or someone else? Certainly the government is to blame. These bad areas have the problem of neglect. People in those areas are so used to bad conditions that they remain bad and since no tries to make a big issue of it, things don't improve. The media will focus on Delhi airport/railway station but problems of people in your area may never make it to the media spotlight and so they never get looked into. Theoretically there are elections but elections happen once in 5 years and often people get used to living in bad conditions that even elections don't make a difference. I am not very familiar with the exact area you're referring to but as long as people think things won't change, they won't. If there is some way of encouraging people to demand better amenities, that has to be the starting point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicbliss View Post
First people's apathy has to go down, they have to be aware of their rights as citizens. They need to feel that we deserve better, we need better amenities. Then the elected representatives also have to want to improve things. Third, once both parties desire to do so, the councillors have to ensure that the government officials also work properly. All three are challenging in Delhi or India's scenario.
Cosmicbliss, I think you have made an excellent point here...people should first have the desire for clean environment. We have seen similar things happen in other sectors such mass transit...people were/are really fed up with the traffic situation in the city, mess caused by blue line buses, etc. I wonder if we can have some NGO's go to these places and try to educate them about their rights and also the urgent need to maintain cleaniness around them
UDHL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #577
Cosmicbliss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,799
Likes (Received): 234

Let's also remember that even in NYC there are some pretty rundown areas. I mean really really rundown and Ive seen them with my own eyes so I am talking from experience. Of course we want Delhi to be "the" city in India. We all do but to do so means more than just building swanky airports or Metro stations. For that the efficiency and utilisation of money by civic authorities has to be excellent. Its not just big projects, the small things often go ignored.

For example:
1. What it will take to have proper pavements/footpaths across the city?
2. Wherever FOBs are there, how to ensure people use them?
3. How to clean up areas like the one you are talking about-also what specific things do we want?
4. How to ensure 24x7 water supply or at least ensure water equivalent to Mumbai even in poor areas?
5. Garbage disposal-how to ensure that the civic authorities collect garbage regularly?
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #578
Cosmicbliss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,799
Likes (Received): 234

All these things don't require 100s of crores. But you need a government which not only has money, but can use it efficiently-in a word you need 'governance'. Otherwise you land up with swanky airports but clogged drainage, AC buses but poor garbage disposal, modern Metro but inadequate feeder services, the list goes on. You can buy or build 'assets'. Its much harder to build systems
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #579
sixsigma1978
PRAETORIAN
 
sixsigma1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,629
Likes (Received): 173

Yep- Even Old delhi is much better compared to Newark Harlem and Bronx anyday. Some of the Worst districts in NY - and oddly - all black majority!! And these places are rundown Not just in looks, your also courting death if attempting to wade many of these hoods alone!!
sixsigma1978 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #580
Cosmicbliss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,799
Likes (Received): 234

Sixsigma, are you from Bangalore? How long were you in New York out of curiosity?
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu