daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure

Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure Shaping space, urbanity and mobility

Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:24 AM   #661
Ashtonian

Likes (Received): 312

How popular was the guided busway as shown in the photos?
Ashtonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 23rd, 2012, 01:36 PM   #662
Jon10

Likes (Received): 192

The guided busway, in 2005:

Jon10 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 04:22 AM   #663
R.K.Teck
Pure East Coast

Likes (Received): 387

Are there bits between Leith and City Centre that are completed? If so will the tracks just be left in for 15 years before they think about expanding the system? Presumably they could leave them in, because they have a long life span, and it would save ripping them up to relay many years down the line (pardon the pun).

2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7
2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7

Dundee, UK City of Culture, Candidate City

V&A Museum. Dundee Waterfront. Kengo Kuma. 2015
Jute, Jam, Journalism... and Japanese Award Winning Architecture.

Old February 24th, 2012, 05:00 AM   #664
maccoinnich
smalltown boy

Likes (Received): 47

I was only ever on the guided busway once, but I remember the ride quality being pretty terrible.

@maccoinnich
maccoinnich no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #665
Aaronj09
Not a Registered User

Likes (Received): 675

Edinburgh Tram has been a total shamble, costing much more then originally cost - but a least you're getting a tram system in just a few years, which is more then what we're getting in Leeds!
Old February 24th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #666
[unique]y1k3s
observer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.K.Teck View Post
Are there bits between Leith and City Centre that are completed? If so will the tracks just be left in for 15 years before they think about expanding the system? Presumably they could leave them in, because they have a long life span, and it would save ripping them up to relay many years down the line (pardon the pun).
No. Some utilities were diverted and upgraded, and that's all what was done there.
[unique]y1k3s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #667
R.K.Teck
Pure East Coast

I've had a read through some of the earlier stuff on here, and looked at maps of Edinburgh: the axed route Line 1B follows has the hallmarks of an abandoned old railway between Haymarket and Crewe Toll.

Currently just seems to be a cycle path or walkway, and all of the bridges are in tact. Doubt very much there would be many utilities to shift on this route! Possibly the simplest part of the planned routes to turn into tram line, apart from the guided busway. Shame it wasn't utilised.

2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7
2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7

Old February 25th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #668
leadensky

Likes (Received): 12

I am in no doubt the city will love trams and new lines will follow. 1B is currently part of the citys cycle network utilising old railways - the aptly named Inner Tube. I think they are constructing the junction with line 1B to aid future expansion. Forward thinking from Edinburgh trams, progress indeed!
leadensky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #669
Ashtonian

Likes (Received): 312

Do you refer to the Edinburgh Suburban and Southside Junction Railway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinbur...nction_Railway

Ashtonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #670
R.K.Teck
Pure East Coast

Green: Airport to York Place line.
Yellow: York Place to Newhaven.
Blue: Roseburn to Lower Granton (Phase 1B).
White: Granton Link (Phase 2).

The blue and white lines are on cycle routes, which for about half of the blue line are on old railway routes.

2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7
2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7

Last edited by R.K.Teck; February 27th, 2012 at 02:21 AM.
R.K.Teck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #671
Think Tank

Likes (Received): 2

February photo updates including the airport, Edinburgh Park, Princes St and St. Andrew's square:

http://www.edinburghtrams.com/includ...ruary_2012.pdf

Progress being made on many fronts!
Think Tank no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #672
cle

Likes (Received): 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadensky View Post
I am in no doubt the city will love trams and new lines will follow. 1B is currently part of the citys cycle network utilising old railways - the aptly named Inner Tube. I think they are constructing the junction with line 1B to aid future expansion. Forward thinking from Edinburgh trams, progress indeed!
I think you're right and that lessons have been learned. Trams definitely give cities a buzzier, more European feel (certainly more than all those buses!) - not to mention air quality.

The Leith route would be great as a big bus trunk route - the aim should be replacing buses. Hopefully will still be next.

I think radial routes southwards towards Morningside, Newington etc... would be great too. Would be hard heading south from the City Centre to Newington though - maybe lines radiating West from Haymarket is more feasible or at least down Lothian Road first.
cle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #673
Think Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by cle View Post
I think you're right and that lessons have been learned. Trams definitely give cities a buzzier, more European feel (certainly more than all those buses!) - not to mention air quality.

The Leith route would be great as a big bus trunk route - the aim should be replacing buses. Hopefully will still be next.

I think radial routes southwards towards Morningside, Newington etc... would be great too. Would be hard heading south from the City Centre to Newington though - maybe lines radiating West from Haymarket is more feasible or at least down Lothian Road first.
The route down the bridges and through Newington was worked up as the original "line 3". It makes excellent commercial sense (more so than an under-developed leith waterfront). If I recall correctly the line 3 land is protected- any developments have to leave room for the planned lines! Sadly given the farce mishandling of the project it will be a generation before any public money is committed to Edinburgh trams.
Old March 8th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #674
[unique]y1k3s
observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Tank View Post
Sadly given the farce mishandling of the project it will be a generation before any public money is committed to Edinburgh trams.
Not necessary. It's a political choice. Obviously no one would say now that there will be more work with trams after current line is, because general public is bashing the project (and they do it deservedly). Once the current project is done, and if general public likes it - who knows what may be next.
[unique]y1k3s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #675
leadensky

Likes (Received): 12

Trams: we’re back on track

Construction works are progressing well along the length of the route

2012 is an important year for the Edinburgh Trams project, which is now going through its most constructive period to date.

In December 2011, the first major milestone was reached with the handover of the Gogar depot to the Council.

The depot will be home to the entire fleet of 27 trams and testing work on the new carriages continues on site until summer 2014.

Major works are now under way across the length of the route from Edinburgh Airport through Haymarket and to St Andrew Square.

Princes Street road and track works between South Charlotte Street and Waverley Bridge are expected to be completed by this summer while work in St Andrew Square should be clear by Christmas.

The project has gained fresh momentum due in a large part to the new close working relationship being enjoyed between the Council, contractors and Transport Scotland.

The construction process is under constant review and if there is a better way to do something, it will be taken on board.

We are confident that the trams project will be completed by summer 2014.

Continues at Edinburgh Outlook
leadensky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #676
Furfaggotry! :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I was only ever on the guided busway once, but I remember the ride quality being pretty terrible.
The problem with the busway was that the council insisted on doing it as cheaply as they possibly could - meaning that the quality of the finish was shite. The sidewalls of it were bad enough that quite a few buses had guidewheels ripped off them, and in the short time it was open, the bloody thing had to be resurfaced twice because it had been built so badly.
It was the same story when they laid the tracks on Princes Street the first time round. They were built as cheap as possible, so within months of the road being reopened, they had sunk, rendering them useless and causing the current closure of the road to relay them.

It's a real shame, I've lived in this city my whole life, and I love it. But the council seem to have spent the past few years trying to systematically ruin it to the best of their abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronj09 View Post
Edinburgh Tram has been a total shamble, costing much more then originally cost - but a least you're getting a tram system in just a few years, which is more then what we're getting in Leeds!
No we're not.
We're getting a tram line.

Hopefully they will finally have learned their lesson and will not try to expand it. The only reason the whole bloody thing hasn't been cancelled is as a face saving excercise.

Interestingly, as an example of what the council are like, when the scheme was originally thought up, they promised Lothian Buses that the trams would be nothing to do with us.
We took full control a month or so back.

However, I suppose it does at least mean that Lothian is now even safer than it was previously, as the council wouldn't want the trams to end up in the hands of a private operator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadensky View Post
I am in no doubt the city will love trams and new lines will follow.
Well, so far, we hate them, and they are going to be completely useless for the majority of us anyway.
I will be very surprised, and probably quite angry, if they try and extend it further in the next few years. The whole thing has been a farce, and any extensions will no doubt be handled in the same manner.

flickr

All views expressed are my own, and may not represent those of my employer.
90019 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #677
Think Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90019 View Post
Interestingly, as an example of what the council are like, when the scheme was originally thought up, they promised Lothian Buses that the trams would be nothing to do with us.
We took full control a month or so back.
I'm fairly sure integrated ticketing was in the original plan with a single bus/tram company.

Trams have been hugely unpopular during the construction phase everywhere, followed by being very popular. Edinburgh will be no different, but I agree funding for extensions is unlikely for a generation.
Old March 29th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #678
WatcherZero

The ticket machines they installed on the street some years back were to be dual purpose for the buses and the trams.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #679
Think Tank

April Photo Update:

http://www.edinburghtrams.com/includ...April_2012.pdf

Only 26 months to go! Progress across the route.
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #680
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 219

will this saga ever end.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
edinburgh