daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 13th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #1801
LCIII

Likes (Received): 811

But those came AFTER Nirvana, Pearl Jam and all the others. Grunge wasn't just a sound it was a style too and Seattle was it's home. There's a reason MTV brought Real World here a hundred years ago- it was music. Greys and Frasier certainly added to it but they aren't the first major run-in Seattle had with mainstream pop culture.
LCIII está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 13th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #1802
Nutterbug

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyagentguy View Post
I hate being able to list on 1 hand all the reasons why Seattle has finally become a household name (I wish there were thousands of reasons)
It's actually achieved quite well for a city its size. Take Phoenix Arizona, for instance. What is it known for, other than foreclosures and underwater homes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyagentguy View Post
but I think Frasier and Grey's Anatomy and Sleepless in Seattle, etc, have made Seattle famous enough.

Both shows have been ridiculously successful, Frasier easily being one of the most successful comedy's of all time and likewise Grey's with drama. I realize a bazillion shows take place in NYC, etc, but you have to think about how Seattle actually matters in Frasier and Grey's. There is ZERO mistake where those show's took place, the pride in the fake cast to live there, the amazing shots of the city, etc.

It wasn't just another show set in another city. These shows PERMEATE Seattle, and Frasier in particular.
Was the location for Frasier so chosen because of the common need for psychiatric help there (with the dreary weather and all)?

Anyways, here's a show we have to show for ourselves here in Vancouver:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davinci%27s_Inquest

Not a mainstream pop hit show by any means, but critically acclaimed with a worldwide cult following. It's based on the life of a real life coroner who went on to become a former Vancouver mayor.
Nutterbug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #1803
Nutterbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajer View Post
I heard about that Pickton character but you have to understand serial killers are old hat in Seattle. We had Ted Bundy and the Green River killer in the 80's wreaking havoc here.
What's funny here is that we're having a dick waving contest over which city has the better serial killers.

Here's an utterly despicable and loathesome character that should bump our city up a few notches on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford_Olson
Old March 13th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #1804
cityviewer

Likes (Received): 12

what? No recognition for Kenny G & "Here come the brides"?
cityviewer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #1805
Black Box
Black Box

Likes (Received): 118

I like Da Vinci's Inquest. I haven't seen it in a long while, but it's dark and intriguing. Very much a show that takes place, not just shot, in Vancouver.
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:38 AM   #1806
LCIII

Some of you may find this as interesting as I did:

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/art...ns-cities/883/
Old March 15th, 2012, 07:49 AM   #1807
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 255

This is a tower I would love to see in Seattle, the 'approved' PNC Tower in Pittsburgh

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...3&postcount=29

(Sorry, too lazy to save and link images)

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.
http://www.sonicsgate.org/
Seattlelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #1808
LCIII

I like that one too.
Old March 15th, 2012, 08:57 AM   #1809
old_smithy

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajer View Post
... you have to understand serial killers are old hat in Seattle. We had Ted Bundy and the Green River killer in the 80's wreaking havoc here.
And don't forget our first: Dr. Linda Burfield Hazzard. She was sentenced in 1912 for the death of Claire Williamson, but was accused of killing over 20 of her patients by purposely starving them to death. At the time of her death, Claire Williamson was 30 years old and weighed 47 pounds. Doctor Hazzard usually performed her patients' autopsies herself and then had the bodies cremated at the Butterworth mortuary in Seattle. (Dr. Hazzard's office was on Fourth and Pike.) She served a brief prison sentence, and upon her release relocated her medical practice to Olalla Washington, and then starved about 15 more people to death. Oddly, most of her patients changed their wills right before they died and left their entire estates to Dr. Hazzard. One of her earliest victims was Ivar Haglund's mother. Ivar was 11 years old when she died.
old_smithy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #1810
Nutterbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityviewer View Post
what? No recognition for Kenny G & "Here come the brides"?
Sweep under the rug with Ted Bundy and Microsoft.
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #1811
jessejb

Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_smithy View Post
And don't forget our first: Dr. Linda Burfield Hazzard. She was sentenced in 1912 for the death of Claire Williamson, but was accused of killing over 20 of her patients by purposely starving them to death. At the time of her death, Claire Williamson was 30 years old and weighed 47 pounds. Doctor Hazzard usually performed her patients' autopsies herself and then had the bodies cremated at the Butterworth mortuary in Seattle. (Dr. Hazzard's office was on Fourth and Pike.) She served a brief prison sentence, and upon her release relocated her medical practice to Olalla Washington, and then starved about 15 more people to death. Oddly, most of her patients changed their wills right before they died and left their entire estates to Dr. Hazzard. One of her earliest victims was Ivar Haglund's mother. Ivar was 11 years old when she died.
Ive been fascinated by that story for a long time.

SSC-related factoid: In the book, it mentions the British girls coming to Seattle on a boat from Victoria and taking a streetcar to a house on Capitol Hill. If only we had cool stuff like they did!
jessejb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #1812
xyagentguy

Likes (Received): 7

Isn't there a kilt shop along 1st ave downtown? I can't seem to find it.
xyagentguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #1813
LCIII

Utilikilt- it's at like 1st and Cherry I think.
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #1814
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 213

yup, 1st and Cherry. Just look for the manequin flashing you.

The French are the chefs
The Italians are the lovers
The British are the police
The Germans are the mechanics
And the Swiss make everything run on time

Hell is Where:

The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police
BoulderGrad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #1815
RMacherat
Buy used books

Likes (Received): 335

Don't forget the A-Y-P. Seattle becomes a household name about one time each generation, then we fall into obscurity (where we probably belong.) Our serial killers are always with us however.
RMacherat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #1816
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 683

I don't agree with that at all. Seattle punches above its weight in terms of image. Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Detroit, and Philly are all much larger but I don't see them being more prominent overall. Or at least we're not far off from the top one or two there in whatever regard.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #1817
xyagentguy

Quote:
Some of you may find this as interesting as I did:

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/art...ns-cities/883/
Now that really in interesting. Not only was Seattle FIRST in terms of positive association out of ANY city, it also remained in the highest percentile even when you break down how every region of the US associates Seattle.

For example, Denver is second to Seattle in terms of general positive association, however, when you break it down into how the Northeast, Midwest, South, and West separately feel about Denver, Denver slips. It remains in the highest perfentile except if you ask North Easterners how they feel about Denver, then Denver is dropped down a notch.

Seattle doesn't drop down a notch at all, from any region's opinions of the city. Seattle is the only place where every region of the US gives the highest score in terms of positive association. San Francisco, in 3rd place in overall positive association, drops a notch in both the eyes of Midwesterners and Southerners.

I'm sure this was no amazing or perfectly accurate study by any means, and might not mean a damn thing at all in the end, but it is at the very least, a bit interesting.
Old March 18th, 2012, 12:23 AM   #1818
xyagentguy

Addendum: I just sifted through a ton of the comments and bloggers on the article, of course expecting a ton of people calling foul or arguing why this can't possibly be true or why that is unequivocally accurate, etc. You see a ton of fighting, and loyalties, and hurt feelings pouring out, but I haven't really seen ANYTHING such as " . . . and how is SEATTLE number ONE? That rainy, awful, depressing place, CANNOT be number ONE. Impossible . . !"
Old March 18th, 2012, 12:42 AM   #1819
xyagentguy

Quote:
This is a tower I would love to see in Seattle, the 'approved' PNC Tower in Pittsburgh

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...3&postcount=29
I'm from Pittsburgh. PNC is almost like the Amazon of Pittsburgh. The growth is just incredible (not like Amazon's, though, which is ASTOUNDING). PNC has become one of the premier US Banks that was never affected nearly as strong during the whole bailout fiasco. In fact, I wish we had them out there, they are wonderful to work with.

They JUST finished building a beautiful, green- glassed skyscraper in downtown Pittsburgh a few years ago, and now they've scooped up another large plot in the downtown area.

http://www.jetsongreen.com/images/20...3pncplaza.jpeg

If they get their way, they want this new building which you linked to be the worlds greenest skyscraper.

I'm so happy for Pittsburgh, my entire family is still there. They just opened the new hockey area in the last year, and the city is really doing so well for itself. I think it is easily the most transformed and beautiful "rust" belt city. That's why Obama chose Pittsburgh as the site for the world economic summit during the great recession, it was to use Pittsburgh as an example and beacon on how a place can be devastated by the loss of it's unequivocally most important industry (steel) and over time, transform, and rebirth to an assumed healthy (albeit slow and steady) level of growth and prosperity.

Last edited by xyagentguy; March 18th, 2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old March 19th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #1820
geoffloftus

Likes (Received): 1720

I remember reading an article a few years back by Paul Goldberger (architecture critic for the NY Times or the New Yorker, I can't remember which) noting something like, "If Pittsburgh were a city in Europe, people would go 300 miles out of their way to visit it."

I've always thought that Pittsburgh is great and gets shortchanged in the public view of it (a legacy of all the steel mills, I guess).
geoffloftus no está en línea   Reply With Quote