daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old March 15th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #1041
Demystifier

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I've been looking for a £300.000 Dayus square development in and around Albion street, only to discover I walked right through/over it and did'nt even notice it...money well spent???
There's always one negative so-and-so isn't there. What did you expect? fountains, cherubs and a 50 foot gold plated statue of Kathleen Dayus?

Before:

After:

Bespoke, innovative design
Granite & other premium heritage materials
Solid bronze public artwork
Minimal lining and signing
In keeping with the Conservation Area
Reduced traffic speeds and enhanced pedestrian safety.

Looks like 300k well spent to me.
Demystifier no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 15th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #1042
Spread
Brummie & Proud

Likes (Received): 96

Article in the BP today saying that the heritage body are split on the merits f the Camden Street, Sloane Street and Camden Drive scheme due to the loss of some of the buildings.

I personally like this scheme as it is just the sort of thing the JQ needs rathert than UCB who seem to want to knock most of their buildings down on Legge Lane.
Spread no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #1043
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 175

RE: Dayus Square.

More like Dayus junction.

It's a nice cobbled road junction, not a square.
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 12:58 AM   #1044
Demystifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoody View Post
RE: Dayus Square.

More like Dayus junction.

It's a nice cobbled road junction, not a square.

Nope, definitely a square.
Demystifier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #1045
nigeman

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demystifier View Post
There's always one negative so-and-so isn't there. What did you expect? fountains, cherubs and a 50 foot gold plated statue of Kathleen Dayus?

Bespoke, innovative design
Granite & other premium heritage materials
Solid bronze public artwork
Minimal lining and signing
In keeping with the Conservation Area
Reduced traffic speeds and enhanced pedestrian safety.

Looks like 300k well spent to me.

Well a few £100 trees and £20 shrubs and some night time lighting might have impressed me a bit more, whilst of course not upsetting the "conservation" status
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #1046
super1duper
Michael

Likes (Received): 8

Application for change of use from factory to visitor attraction for the silver factory in Albion Street

54-56 Albion Street, Birmingham, West Midlands, B1 3EA
Proposal Note: Planning application submitted for the change of use from a factory (use class B2) to a heritage visitor attraction (use class D1).
Development Type: Change of Use
Uses: Leisure - (D2) General Leisure
Reference: 2012/02085/PA
Applicant: English Heritage
Applicant Address: 23, Savile Row, London, Inner London, W1S 2ET
Applicant's Agent: Rodney Melville And Partners Limited
Applicant's Agent Address: 10, Euston Place, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV32 4LE
super1duper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #1047
PSS1980

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by super1duper View Post
Application for change of use from factory to visitor attraction for the silver factory in Albion Street

54-56 Albion Street, Birmingham, West Midlands, B1 3EA
Proposal Note: Planning application submitted for the change of use from a factory (use class B2) to a heritage visitor attraction (use class D1).
Development Type: Change of Use
Uses: Leisure - (D2) General Leisure
Reference: 2012/02085/PA
Applicant: English Heritage
Applicant Address: 23, Savile Row, London, Inner London, W1S 2ET
Applicant's Agent: Rodney Melville And Partners Limited
Applicant's Agent Address: 10, Euston Place, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV32 4LE

Exelllant news a nice addition to this area.....
PSS1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 01:33 AM   #1048
NeilM
Mmm, Chocolate, woohoo

Likes (Received): 20

Some bastards have stolen the name plaque from the front of the Assay Office

http://www.assaynews.co.uk/bao/help-...bVyEw.facebook
Old May 10th, 2012, 01:12 AM   #1049
Gazprog77

Hi all, First post...

I have been living and a business owner in the JQ for a number of years now and I love living here.

Recently, however, I have been looking for an old derelict/unused building to convert into primarily 3 or 4 residential apartments. Soon after I started looking, I obviously ran into the issues surrounding planning and the associated restrictions that apply. Lately, I seem to be becoming more and more infuriated with the blanket approach to the planning restrictions and it is making my project seemingly impossible.

This has lead me to investigate other buildings in the area and investigate the planning applications that have been refused against them all. Initially, I thought key parts of the JQ were run down due to the general state of the economy, but I've come to believe that its largely the planning restrictions that are stopping any development.

I was even willing to offer a commercial aspect to my development(s) and willing to be very flexible in meeting the awful live/work permission. But the 50/50 live/work permission has to be per plot rather than split over the total project.

I am completely in favour of conserving the heritage of the JQ and the last thing I'd like to see is a load of bland apartments spring up everywhere, but surely there needs to be some changes made here because it seems the development is going backwards. I cant help thinking that with just a little flexibility, the area would benefit so much.

I've heard that a lot of developers have moved away to areas such as Eastside and Brindley Place etc because of the restrictions in place. for the record, I was looking a restoring a Grade II listed building that is practically derelict... A building that will otherwise never be brought back to life. There are a lot of this types of buildings that businesses will not want to buy and trade from nowadays.

I'm just interested in everyones opinion and if anyone has been in a similar situation or can offer some advice.

Many thanks
Gary
Gazprog77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 03:17 AM   #1050
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Likes (Received): 180

I agree and part of the reason why I was dead set the area becoming a UNESCO world Heritage site. The restrictions therefore become solid and make development of any kind extremely restrictive and for developers - pretty much non-profitable.

I think some thought into the current regime needs to be put into what to allow developers to do with their buildings. My personal view is that the original building be retained, and any refurb should incorporated it's character in some way. The interior, certainly in cases of derelicts should be up to the individual developer - again provided it doesn't have a detrimental effect on the exterior.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #1051
bpnarchitects

Gazprogg, in planning terms the Jewellery Quarter is split into a few separate areas, there is no blanket approach to planning, other than the fact its a conservation area.

The quarter is split into smaller fragments in terms of planning policy (See Jewellery Quarter Design Guide). Each fragment has a specific planning goal. For example Vyse St and Warstone Lane policy is focused on encouraging retail and business. The only area i recall as having a residential restriction is the industrial middle, which encompasses the area north of St Pauls Sq to Warstone Lane. The planning policy is aimed at keeping this area as a working industrial Jewellery area for manufacturing. Is the building you were looking at in this area? That could explain why you are having such a rough time of it.

Being based in the Quarter and having done a fair few residential projects in the quarter, both new build and Grade II, i would be interested in knowing more about your project and the problems you are facing.
bpnarchitects no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #1052
Gazprog77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpnarchitects View Post
Gazprogg, in planning terms the Jewellery Quarter is split into a few separate areas, there is no blanket approach to planning, other than the fact its a conservation area.

The quarter is split into smaller fragments in terms of planning policy (See Jewellery Quarter Design Guide). Each fragment has a specific planning goal. For example Vyse St and Warstone Lane policy is focused on encouraging retail and business. The only area i recall as having a residential restriction is the industrial middle, which encompasses the area north of St Pauls Sq to Warstone Lane. The planning policy is aimed at keeping this area as a working industrial Jewellery area for manufacturing. Is the building you were looking at in this area? That could explain why you are having such a rough time of it.

Being based in the Quarter and having done a fair few residential projects in the quarter, both new build and Grade II, i would be interested in knowing more about your project and the problems you are facing.
Hi, thanks for your response.

I am aware of the planning zones in place... There are live/work restrictions in the Golden Triangle and The Industrial Middle, which literally takes up 80% of the JQ and leaves a small strip around St Pauls and the Icknield St areas.

One building was in fact in the Industrial Middle. This is the building that I was willing to develop a commercial unit at ground level, as long as we could develop 2-3 apartments above. The wasn't allowed as the live/work suggests a commercial aspect to every plot, rather than a portion of the total building area. There would be no way of renting/selling apartments based on live/work.

Its so limiting and it has practically stopped ALL development in these areas. The JQ could be so much more than it is...
Thanks
Gary
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #1053
SuttonBluenose
All Hail Carl Chinn

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpnarchitects View Post

BPN? I'm assuming Bryant Priest Newman right?

Henry George, Progress and Poverty (1879), Book IV Chapter II
SuttonBluenose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #1054
SuttonBluenose
All Hail Carl Chinn

Anyone know if the Bloc hotel got planning permission for their extension?

Old May 10th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #1055
Gazprog77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuttonBluenose
I saw the planning application but don't know if it has been passed yet. Have they started work yet?
Old May 11th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #1056
SuttonBluenose
All Hail Carl Chinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazprog77 View Post
I saw the planning application but don't know if it has been passed yet. Have they started work yet?
I don't think so. Don't really know tbh.

Old May 12th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #1057
nigeman

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuttonBluenose View Post
I don't think so. Don't really know tbh.

Nope no building taking place yet Im afraid
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #1058
sefton66

Likes (Received): 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuttonBluenose View Post
Goes to committee 24th of this month
sefton66 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #1059
sefton66

Quote:
Jewellery Quarter firms vote for business improvement district
By Cilian O'Brien May 25 2012

COMPANIES in the Jewellery Quarter have voted in favour of creating a business improvement district for the area.

The vote for the district – an area where businesses pay an additional tax or fee in order to fund improvements – was passed after winning 80 per cent support.

Organisers said the "yes" vote – which creates the city’s 10th business improvement district (BID) was secured on a 45 per cent turnout of more than 500 businesses.

The BID was led by the Jewellery Quarter Development Trust (JQDT) in partnership with Birmingham City Council, with the aim of attracting investment, increasing visitor numbers and encouraging a more vibrant economy, while making the area a better place to work and live.

It will see businesses with premises with a rateable value of £10,000 and above pay an annual levy of two per cent to fund additional investment for the benefit of the area.

David Mahony, chair of the JQDT, said: "We are absolutely delighted. It is what we have got to do to get the Jewellery Quarter moving.

"It has been hard work. It has been the biggest in the Midlands in terms of area and it has not been the best time to drive it in terms of asking people for more money.

"It is a real endorsement."

Over the past six months the JQDT has hosted a series of consultation meetings and a drop-in day to enable business owners and potential levy payers to find out more about the plans.

The ballot started on April 17 and ran for five weeks until May 24.

The Jewellery Quarter BID area is bounded by the Jewellery Quarter side of Great Charles Street, Livery Street, Great Hampton Street, Key Hill Drive, Icknield Street, Sandpits/The Parade and Summer Row.

Birmingham was described as the "BID capital of Britain" earlier this year after it emerged that the city was home to ten per cent of all business improvement districts in the UK.

There are BIDs for Broad Street, the City Centre Retail area, Colmore District, Southside, Sutton Coldfield, Kings Heath, Erdington, Acocks Green and Northfield.

Read More http://www.birminghampost.net/birmin...#ixzz1vuuqdj8i
Old June 6th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #1060
sefton66