daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #641
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 103

When you add lining for the cars coming from outside the roundabout, it visually looks like they have right of way, which they don't (talking about those black lines added on the image). Also, the angle of making that turn to the right is way too sharp for it to be a logical option to a driver. I personally prefer not having any arrows on the "straight" and "right" directions on those lanes, but an overhead sign telling people to use that lane for a certain destination. This is of course only useful for big and complex roundabouts, not the regular ones with 2 lanes.

Sponsored Links

Old March 6th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #642
tradephoric

Likes (Received): 15

Here's a short video of a confused motorist traversing a roundabout in the wrong direction.

Last edited by tradephoric; November 14th, 2012 at 06:00 AM.
tradephoric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #643
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 2066

lol, how do you even do that not on purpose?
Old March 8th, 2012, 05:44 AM   #644
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Maybe its a British pensioner.... or woman.
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #645
AtD

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by geor View Post
For better understanding it is necessary to have additional similar vertical signs too
I think given the number of roundabouts, the size of them and the volumes of traffic many of them carry, that's a bit of overkill.

Really you just need some of these:

And some of these:

...and plenty of <<<< signs.

There's plenty of two lane roundabouts in Australia with no advance warning at all - you may not realise its a roundabout until you actually get to the intersection. These definitely need better warning. There's one near where I used to live where the only advance warning that it was a roundabout (and not just a general hazard) was a single direction sign: http://g.co/maps/qa7r8 and then a completely wrong right turn sign! http://g.co/maps/tazpr

Last edited by AtD; March 8th, 2012 at 10:40 AM.
AtD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #646
joshsam
JR

Roundabout near where I live:

http://www.kumpen.be/new/images/dbim...puntstayen.jpg
Old March 19th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #647
Nexis
Greetings form New Jersey

Likes (Received): 1591

Washington State has gone mad with rounabouts...

image hosted on flickr

I-5, D Street roundabouts in Blaine by WSDOT, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

SR 539, River Road roundabout near Lynden by WSDOT, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

SR 539, Ten Mile Road roundabout near Bellingham by WSDOT, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

I-5, Portal Way roundabout in Ferndale by WSDOT, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

SR 542, SR 9 roundabout in Deming by WSDOT, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

SR 539, SR 544 Roundabout near Lynden by WSDOT, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

SR 548 Roundabout - Aerial by WSDOT, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

10 of 11: Aerial view of truck driving through roundabout by WSDOT, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Aerial view of roundabout in Anacortes by WSDOT, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Aerial view of roundabout in Anacortes by WSDOT, on Flickr
Copy and Paste the code from the Photo onto the forum.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #648
joshsam
JR

They look good. Fit in well. It will reduce travel time and avoid a lot of collisions
Old March 19th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #649
joshsam
JR

IKEA, Liège, Belgium

http://www.eloy.be/media/cms/travaux...ns/619_web.jpg
Old May 1st, 2012, 02:22 AM   #650
dmjar

Likes (Received): 0

This is a good hybrid between a junction/dual carriageway and a roundabout.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=stre...d+Kingdom&z=17
dmjar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 01:50 PM   #651
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjar View Post
This is a good hybrid between a junction/dual carriageway and a roundabout.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=stre...d+Kingdom&z=17
Looks more like a dog's breakfast to me.

Here are some not-very-good photos of the Emory Village roundabout near Atlanta. It replaces a notorious traffic light at this five-way intersection, and it seems to be an aesthetic and operational success, combined as it was with a variety of streetscape improvements for this walkable retail/restaurant district.

There are very few roundabouts in Atlanta, but here there are two within a couple of blocks of each other-- I think the western Lullwater roundabout was the first true roundabout in metro Atlanta. When it was first built, the left lane of westbound North Decatur Road was terminated before the roundabout by means of a surprise compulsory left turn into an apartment complex, but the Emory Village roundabout project also restriped that part of North Decatur Road from four lanes to 2 + 2WLT + bike lanes, eliminating the surprise compulsory left turn.

I saw an 18 wheeler get stuck in the roundabout, though it wasn't a fair test: the truck apron had just been poured and was blocked off from traffic. Fortunately one of the construction workers explained to the truck driver that he could get to where he was going by making a right turn and using a side street to bypass the roundabout.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 01:57 PM   #652
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 4844

Atlanta appears to be a somewhat hostile environment for roundabouts. It has a lack of a dense freeway network, which means the arterials are wide and busy, unfavorable for roundabouts. Though metropolitan Atlanta is less dense than nearly all other major U.S. metropolitan areas, which means there could be more space for roundabouts than in say Dallas or Miami. The main problem with fitting roundabouts in an existing road network is acquiring a right-of-way. Roundabouts simply require more space than traffic signals.

my clinched highways • highway pictures @ Flickr and Youtube
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 03:34 AM   #653
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 83

Business WIS-29 and WIS-124 in Chippewa Falls
image hosted on flickr

Courtesy of Dougtone
Image link

Google Maps:http://goo.gl/maps/E6KA

Last edited by brewerfan386; June 7th, 2012 at 06:53 AM.
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 05:06 AM   #654
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 5

I recently returned from a trip to Israel, and it seems like almost every intersection in my home town was replaced with a roundabout. They are everywhere. In general, in Israel there are probably thousands of them now outside of dense city centres (like Tel Aviv), where there isn't a lot of space for them.

This was also my first time driving outside of North America, and I must say, I loved the roundabouts for the most part. Very efficient and reduce the annoyance of frequent stops at unnecessary stop signs and lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtD View Post
There's plenty of two lane roundabouts in Australia with no advance warning at all - you may not realise its a roundabout until you actually get to the intersection. These definitely need better warning. There's one near where I used to live where the only advance warning that it was a roundabout (and not just a general hazard) was a single direction sign: http://g.co/maps/qa7r8 and then a completely wrong right turn sign! http://g.co/maps/tazpr
This seems like it could be really dangerous, but I suppose that it depends on local regulations and road layouts.

In Israel, there are "circular" intersections that look very similar to roundabouts (although usually the approach angle is not as narrow), but they actually are not - some approaches inside the so-called roundabout have yield signs.

In Israel, if upon approaching an intersection, a sign like the one below is not present, one must continue without yielding to anyone, even if the intersection looks like a roundabout:

(The sign would be in the opposite direction of course, since in Israel driving is on the right side)

Also, yield signs at entrances to roundabouts are usually not present, and are not necessary - the above sign is enough.

I may post some pictures that I made on my trip later on.
Old June 9th, 2012, 01:49 AM   #655
solchante

Likes (Received): 786

A German roundabout

solchante no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 04:08 AM   #656
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Atlanta appears to be a somewhat hostile environment for roundabouts. It has a lack of a dense freeway network, which means the arterials are wide and busy, unfavorable for roundabouts. Though metropolitan Atlanta is less dense than nearly all other major U.S. metropolitan areas, which means there could be more space for roundabouts than in say Dallas or Miami. The main problem with fitting roundabouts in an existing road network is acquiring a right-of-way. Roundabouts simply require more space than traffic signals.
Not necessarily true.. I mean the intersections with 3x3 lanes and the 2 lanes for turning left and possibly another lane for right turns can get pretty wide.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #657
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You can't replace intersections with 9 lanes at traffic signals with roundabouts anyway. The upper limit for a roundabout is about 25.000 vehicles per day.

Old June 9th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #658
geor

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
You can't replace intersections with 9 lanes at traffic signals with roundabouts anyway. The upper limit for a roundabout is about 25.000 vehicles per day.

Roundabouts capacity depends on many factors (balanced or not traffic flow, entry capacity, circulating capacity, existence of shortcuts, number of lanes, lane width, diameter, driver behaviour, design, …….etc.).
Applicable parameter is veh/h not AADT. So, capacity range of roundabout varies from 1300 to 5000 veh/h (from 1 lane - 3 lane roundabouts).
geor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #659
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Multi-lane roundabouts don't work as well as turbo roundabouts, so for regular roundabouts, 2 lanes is about the limit, 3-4 lanes at so-called "turbo squares", which are often traffic light-controlled, where traffic flows in a roundabout-like manner, but function as traffic light-intersections.

Like the "Polish roundabout":

Old June 10th, 2012, 03:40 AM   #660
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerfan386 View Post
Business WIS-29 and WIS-124 in Chippewa Falls
image hosted on flickr

Courtesy of Dougtone
Image link

Google Maps:http://goo.gl/maps/E6KA
Why would one want to drive into the lake? Wouldn't 'Eau Claire' be a better 'control' for that sign?

Anyways, that roundabout replaces a very NASTY trumpet interchange that was used by WI 29 (WI 29 made a turn there) before the WI 29 bypass freeway was built a few years ago. In fact, IMHO, that roundabout replacing the trumpet there would have been a HUGE improvement - even without the WI 29 bypass freeway.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
ideas