daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Baltimore / Washington DC

Old March 1st, 2012, 08:51 PM   #1721
FrankieSez

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch View Post
Bottom line, it's something one of the city's best neighborhood desperately wants more of, and a tax break could be given to help turn a site that would have developed by now if there was the market into a garage. Part of what makes Baltimore great is it's so close to so many things. You can drive to OC, DC, Philly, Columbia, Annapolis, Towson all pretty easily. This isn't NYC, people want cars. Mass transit is great, but it can turn a 5 minute car ride to Mt. Vernon into a half an hour. Adjust to what your city wants, don't force them to fit into some unrealistic mold.

Also, there are a ton of jobs that fuel this economy that are impossible without cars... Real Estate, Sales, Freelance anything, Construction, could go on forever.... so mass transit is great, but cars are essential.
This. I will take this a step further and make it a neighborhood specific problem. Yes, the overwhelming majority of this city is carless, which is why updated, efficient, reliable mass transit is a priority. HOWEVER, this specific neighborhood, along with Canton (which is NOT on a Circulator/Light Rail route) is conducive to be inhabited by young professionals, who as Kevin mentions, often NEED cars for their careers (which, by the way, usually differ in transit requirements from the city worker who lives in Poppleton, or Reservoir Hill, etc....goes to 'work', STAYS at work, comes home from work).

These neighborhoods I mention are hotbeds of tax base for the city. Property taxes, consumption spending, INCOME TAX PRODUCING (let's be honest, most of Baltimore doesn't fit into this...and yes, the city has its own FRIGGING INCOME TAX THAT WE PAY) residents are huge parts of these neighborhoods, so yes, I would like to see the city start showing a little love to those that fund its 30-year bureaucrat at city hall budgeted spending.

Sonny Morstein was huge in getting the West St. garage built (and I believe, subsidized). Maybe he's a good person to talk to about a cntrl-c, cntrl-v of that closer to Fort Avenue and Light St.

Lets wake up and realize that a homeowner driving around for 30 minutes (who by the way, has the disposable income to pay for a monthly spot if available) is not a good thing for a liveable city. More mass transit is not the answer to the problems of these gems of neighborhoods.
FrankieSez no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 5th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #1722
SoBoRez

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawhere View Post
I completely disagree, and most studies will back my disagreement. Unless you want to install some performance pricing robotic garages, this is a complete waste. And tax breaks? Seriously?

Expand the hours and frequency of the circulator if anything. What area in Federal Hill is inaccessible to that line? Who is driving to Federal Hill that can't take the light rail or numerous bus routes to their destination?
The CCC and no regular bus go to my Grandchild's school. So I guess I would be one of those that can't take the light rail or numerous bus routes to do pickup duty.

When the row home next door was rehabbed 3 unrelated tenants moved in. Soon it was 4. When the boyfriends visit there are now 7 cars to park. I'll give them your suggestion to take the bus and train. I can imagine where they will tell you to park it.
SoBoRez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #1723
atct86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBoRez View Post
The CCC and no regular bus go to my Grandchild's school. So I guess I would be one of those that can't take the light rail or numerous bus routes to do pickup duty.

When the row home next door was rehabbed 3 unrelated tenants moved in. Soon it was 4. When the boyfriends visit there are now 7 cars to park. I'll give them your suggestion to take the bus and train. I can imagine where they will tell you to park it.
Parking is a serious issues, even in the permit parking zones. I am not going to go to the grocery store, hardware store, etc and ride the city bus.
atct86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #1724
atct86

Has anyone ever dealt with the MHIC and a contractor who left without finishing work?
atct86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #1725
delawhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by atct86 View Post
Parking is a serious issues, even in the permit parking zones. I am not going to go to the grocery store, hardware store, etc and ride the city bus.
I do. It isn't all that bad.
delawhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #1726
tbrown956

I agree with the fact that parking and traffic are becoming an issue. I've only lived here 4 years and have already seen a major increase. My parents are from Baltimore (now reside in NY) and last time they were here they said traffic on Light St on a Saturday was worse than Manhattan.

On a side note, according to their Facebook page The Reserve is re-opening this Thursday as 1524 Gastropub. Wouldn't be surprised if that's pushed back though after walking by there lately.
tbrown956 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #1727
pfd103
Bmore

Likes (Received): 6

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore...s.html?ana=fbk

Caves Valley Partners pitches plans for Key Highway project

Caves Valley Partners is nearing construction on an office and retail building along Key Highway, but drew some initial criticism on Thursday from a city panel regarding the design of the project. The developer in December 2010 paid $2.6 million for the former home of Main Steel Polishing Co., which closed in 2006. The Baltimore development firm has since demolished the warehouse, across from the Baltimore Museum of Industry.

Current plans for the South Baltimore project, called Riverside Wharf, include a Walgreens Co. pharmacy and other yet-to-be-named retailers on the first floor, with medical offices on upper floors.

more available by clicking the link above...
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #1728
pfd103
Bmore

This plot of land is up for sale...$899K. I wonder what will actually be built when it's sold...

Old March 16th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #1729
Dirk Ironside

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfd103 View Post
This plot of land is up for sale...$899K. I wonder what will actually be built when it's sold...

$90K per lot seems way too steep given it is across from railroad tracks and a bge plant. Given what other similar sites are going for, I would be surprised if it goes for more than $750k.
Dirk Ironside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #1730
dogpark
wishing for a dogpark

Likes (Received): 1

127 W Fort Ave isn't Federal Hill.
dogpark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #1731
KLynch

Likes (Received): 128

I'm getting sick of these developers who buys something, zone it, sit on it, and then many months later decide to sell. Every new town home development we have seems to have the same fate. You are still seeing new town homes built like crazy over in Canton, probably because they are built with investors that finish. If the new owner makes any changes which I'm sure they will, there is a lot more delays.
KLynch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #1732
Dirk Ironside

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch View Post
I'm getting sick of these developers who buys something, zone it, sit on it, and then many months later decide to sell. Every new town home development we have seems to have the same fate. You are still seeing new town homes built like crazy over in Canton, probably because they are built with investors that finish. If the new owner makes any changes which I'm sure they will, there is a lot more delays.
Actually, the last five small townhouse subdivisions I've seen done in Canton/Fells also followed the same pattern (and had been on the market or delayed for years). Most builders don't want to deal with the brain drain of dealing with neighboring homeowners during the planning and zoning process. That creates a niche for small local developers.
Dirk Ironside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #1733
KLynch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Ironside View Post
Actually, the last five small townhouse subdivisions I've seen done in Canton/Fells also followed the same pattern (and had been on the market or delayed for years). Most builders don't want to deal with the brain drain of dealing with neighboring homeowners during the planning and zoning process. That creates a niche for small local developers.
Gotcha. Well though Canton is definitely bigger, I've seen very few new town homes go up in SoBo in the last 5 years or so, but many in Canton. Rallo's Court and the old CVS claim they are starting soon... so we'll see!

As long as stuff is priced under 400k, I think it will move.
Old March 17th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #1734
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 26

Locust Point

another apartment getting ready to launch at Locust Point
By: Melody Simmons

At the city’s emerging new hotspot, Locust Point, the new apartments and retail at McHenry Row are filling with tenants and retailers. Spies there say about six of the 250 apartments in the development are being rented each week, with tenants paying rents that average nearly $2,600 a month for a two-bedroom pad.

The development by Mark Sapperstein unofficially opened Dec. 7 with the ribbon cutting for the Harris Teeter grocery store, the 61,000-square-foot anchor of the commercial side of the project that also includes a strip of shops, salons and restaurants and a Greene Turtle bar.

In the meantime, another project is getting ready to launch.

A 200-unit apartment development with street-level retail at near Lawrence Street and Fort Avenue is in the planning phase, with a ground breaking in the near future. That’s the former site of the General Electric plant. The development will be considered by the Locust Point Civic Association this spring.

Around the bend of Key Highway, Under Armour is getting ready to embark on a massive expansion at the Tide Point complex.

This week, a company executive testified before a City Council committee about the expansion project in a hearing about changing the planned unit development there for the office expansion and rename the PUD Under Armour Headquarters. The full City Council will hear the proposal Monday evening.

fanofterps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #1735
rockin'.baltimorean

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfd103 View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore...s.html?ana=fbk

Caves Valley Partners pitches plans for Key Highway project

Caves Valley Partners is nearing construction on an office and retail building along Key Highway, but drew some initial criticism on Thursday from a city panel regarding the design of the project. The developer in December 2010 paid $2.6 million for the former home of Main Steel Polishing Co., which closed in 2006. The Baltimore development firm has since demolished the warehouse, across from the Baltimore Museum of Industry.

Current plans for the South Baltimore project, called Riverside Wharf, include a Walgreens Co. pharmacy and other yet-to-be-named retailers on the first floor, with medical offices on upper floors.

more available by clicking the link above...
i wish they'd build this thing, already!!!!!! Personally, I love it and I think it would be a great attribute to the community....

Old March 17th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #1736
CU_rak

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'.baltimorean View Post
i wish they'd build this thing, already!!!!!! Personally, I love it and I think it would be a great attribute to the community....

Quote:
“The Kalwall’s kind of feminine ... in contrast to what you’ve done with the brick,” Emily Eig, a member of the panel, told Burton.
M.J. “Jay” Brodie, president of the Baltimore Development Corp., agreed with Eig’s impression of the Kalwall, adding the current design includes too many features and materials.
“My sense is [the architect is] just trying too hard with this building,” Brodie said, adding UDG should “calm it down and let it be more one or two things than four or five things.”
Anyone else think the urban design panel should just shut up and let them build it already? This is one of the impediments to development - amateurs trying to nitpick designs that professional architects have spent time and effort on. If it meets the standard criteria of good urban design and does not detract from the neighborhood, it should be approved.

Then again, we wouldn't want the city to look too "feminine."
CU_rak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #1737
GrayMatter
Throw some Boh's

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU_rak View Post
Anyone else think the urban design panel should just shut up and let them build it already? This is one of the impediments to development - amateurs trying to nitpick designs that professional architects have spent time and effort on. If it meets the standard criteria of good urban design and does not detract from the neighborhood, it should be approved.

I think it looks great. That office space with those huge windows would be awesome.
GrayMatter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #1738
rockin'.baltimorean

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU_rak View Post

how do they get "feminine" out of this building?.......lol. Someone, please tell me...
Old March 17th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #1739
pfd103
Bmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'.baltimorean View Post
how do they get "feminine" out of this building?.......lol. Someone, please tell me...
I thought the final rendering hasn't been released yet...wasn't that one above just an early concept?
Old March 18th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #1740
KLynch

They have full plans. But they have to make some changes now. I liked it, but I guess the panel didn't.

25k office, 14k Walgreens, 150 parking spots

Tags
development summary