daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Economy, Infrastructure and Transportation > Urban Transport

Old March 14th, 2012, 08:30 AM   #2141
Diggerdog

Likes (Received): 738

Well maybe if its moved, it will be looked after. The middle of a road is not the best spot for it to begin with.

Personally, regarding the actual monument - I dont think nearly enough respect or attention is given to our wartime contribution and the lives lost.
Probably because our history is so rich, and we have had many wars, and because of apartheid and our current state of affairs, it kind of slips into the background.

But man, from defeating the Germans in WW1 in German South West Africa, to East Africa, to the Battle of Delville Wood, and our famous fighter squadron in Korea - South Africa has a proud history in combat outside our borders, and it should be remembered here at home.

Sponsored Links

Old March 14th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #2142
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Rambler View Post
Yes. Mediocrity is the Cape Town way.

As for the monument, I don’t care for it or what it stands for but it brings some diversity to Adderley Street, so I’d prefer it to stay where it is. The MyCiTi station could be built on the median closer to Strand Street.
Why? Nobody can enjoy it or marvel at in the middle of a busy street... Would it not be better placed and more admired in a pedestrian-friendly street or square?
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #2143
Lydon

Likes (Received): 1804

Quote:
Originally Posted by annman View Post
Why? Nobody can enjoy it or marvel at in the middle of a busy street... Would it not be better placed and more admired in a pedestrian-friendly street or square?
My problem with the new location is that the Grand Parade isn't exactly pedestrian friendly. It's dirty and run down, and the memorial will likely sooner be the target of urine rather than admiration from the crowd that tend to hang around there.

I think this would be a great opportunity to incorporate the memorial into the station somehow. With a little imagination, everyone can win. Used as the centrepiece or as an entrance to a busy station, it'll catch the sight of far more eyes that may appreciate it.
Old March 14th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #2144
Andrew_za

Likes (Received): 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydon View Post
...stupid things like staff not being ready with the remote to open the doors upon docking in stations is getting annoying...
What happened to “station doors automatically open, when bus and station doors are aligned.”

While the war memorial does add some character to Adderley Street, moving it to the Grand Parade gives an opportunity to make proper use of the space. Improved security amongst other things, will allow people to visit the parade and get a true sense of history.

It is important that they examine the precise location at the parade, so that it causes minimal obstruction should the space be used for large events.
Andrew_za no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #2145
annman
Annman

Are they not planning on addressing these issues on the Grand Parade and giving it some TLC and implementing the bylaws to clean it up? If the Grand Parade is looked after and turned into a true pedestrianised space, I'd love to have the Cenotaph as the centrepiece.
Old March 14th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #2146
Urban Rambler
The man in the street

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by annman View Post
I don’t disagree with this. I just think it looks cool on Adderley Street. Lol. And it’s nice to have monuments and statues scattered around the city.
Urban Rambler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #2147
Mo Rush
life.love.everything else

Likes (Received): 49

I added a poll to http://www.futurecapetown.com about the operation of rail services moving to cities. Please vote

Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #2148
annman
Annman

I vote: F**k PRASA... there was no F**k PRASA option?!? I'm disappointed. HEHE

Know I'm being a bit crass, but holy crap, PRASA actually defending themselves and saying they should not surrender control... I mean, what anemic, broken leg do they possibly have to stand on. How can you argue in favour when you use their track-record of management, when you argue in favour of a non-consolidated urban transit system?

Last edited by annman; March 16th, 2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old March 16th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #2149
Cape Town Lover

Likes (Received): 0

Inner City routes have changed. http://www.capetown.gov.za/en/MyCiti...City030912.pdf

Only 2 routes will now be making use of the Gardens Centre station which seems like such a waste to me. It would make sense spending all that money to build a station of that capacity if 3,4 or 5 routes were going to be making use of it. Now they're going to be building a closed feeder station in Hout Bay of all places! Where as the closed feeder station at the Waterfront has been scrapped even though 3 routes go there. I don't see any logic in any of this or maybe I'm just being over dramatic and ranting about something pivotal...

Last edited by Cape Town Lover; March 17th, 2012 at 09:31 PM.
Cape Town Lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #2150
Andrew_za

Has Granger Bay station officially been shut down?
Old March 17th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #2151
Urban Rambler
The man in the street

Likes (Received): 16

I don't think the MyCiTi people know their asses from a hole in the ground.
Urban Rambler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 08:15 AM   #2152
RYebreAD

Likes (Received): 3

http://www.capetown.gov.za/en/MyCiti/Pages/TopupyourmyconnectcardclosetohomeMyCiTi.aspx

Top up your myconnect card close to home, MyCiTi stops & stations

As part of the further roll-out of the myconnect card MyCiTi passengers can now top up their myconnect cards at shops, garages and restaurants in and around the Table View area.

myconnect cards can be bought and loaded with money at kiosks at MyCiTi stations. The top-up facility at retail outlets is aimed at providing a service to MyCiTi passengers who cannot easily get to a MyCiTi station, or as a top-up point when a station kiosk may be closed.

The cards can now be loaded with value at following retail outlets.
myconnect cards will also be available from these outlets soon:

Wimpy, Paddocks Shopping Centre, Milnerton

Engen Rietvlei, Table View Centre, Table View

Wimpy, West Coast Village, Sunningdale

Sasol, Parklands (corner of Raats Drive and Parklands Main Road)

Total, Parklands (corner of Wood Drive and Parklands Main Road)

Total, Paarden Eiland (Section Street)

Spar, Table View (Flamingo Square)

Sunset Beach Convenience Store, Sunset Beach (corner of Otto du Plessis Drive and Ocean Way)

Table View Butcher, Table View (264 Blaauwberg Road)

Most of these outlets are open after normal business hours, and service stations are open 24 hours a day.

More retail outlets will make this facility available as time progresses, and the cards themselves will also be available at these outlets in the near future.

The myconnect card costs R22 from MyCiTi station kiosks and independent retailers, but an extra 1% is charged for loading value onto the card at a retailer (3.5% total), while 2.5% is charged at the MyCiTi station kiosks. The 1% covers the retailers cost for providing the service.

Another added benefit for customers is that Absa clients can load money onto their myconnect card online through internet banking. There is no extra fee. You only pay the 2.5% load fee, with a R1.50 minimum as per the standard fees.

The introduction of retailers for the myconnect card is part of extending the MyCiTi service, which will become increasingly more convenient and accessible as each new element of the smartcard system is added.
RYebreAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #2153
RYebreAD

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Town Lover View Post
Inner City routes have changed. http://www.capetown.gov.za/en/MyCiti...City030912.pdf

Only 2 routes will now be making use of the Gardens Centre station which seems like such a waste to me. It would make sense spending all that money to build a station of that capacity if 3,4 or 5 routes were going to be making use of it. Now they're going to be building a closed feeder station in Hout Bay of all places! Where as the closed feeder station at the Waterfront has been scrapped even though 3 routes go there. I don't see any logic in any of this or maybe I'm just being over dramatic and ranting about something pivotal...
I agree, the new station at Gardens is quite big and could accommodate more routes. I have no doubt that more will be added in the future. It seems like Adderley St is about to get a WHOLE lot busier though...

I think Hout Bay definately needs at least one closer station as there aren't many places to hide from the elements, whereas somewhere like the V&A already has undercover stops and areas you can stand unaffected by the weather.
RYebreAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:25 PM   #2154
Citywalker_CT
C A P E T O W N

Likes (Received): 484

MyCITI civic centre hub construction images 22/03/2012:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Citywalker_CT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:14 PM   #2155
Andrew_za

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citywalker_CT View Post
MyCITI civic centre hub construction images 22/03/2012:

image hosted on flickr
Love this. Looks similar to Airport Station. Hope to see some red paint to brighten up the place.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 02:50 AM   #2156
Marsupalami

Likes (Received): 74

pretty cool! - so is the Civic Centre building finnished its repaint? - it look like more of a beige now than the pink colour it had before. what your opinion ?
Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:24 AM   #2157
Lydon

Likes (Received): 1804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupalami View Post
pretty cool! - so is the Civic Centre building finnished its repaint? - it look like more of a beige now than the pink colour it had before. what your opinion ?
There's a thread for it

Nowhere near complete, but they're progressing nicely and it looks much better!
Old March 23rd, 2012, 11:12 AM   #2158
Diggerdog

Likes (Received): 738

Guys, I know we whine and moan about some things in Cape Town, and things can move slowly etc etc BUT honestly, I think we are seriously in danger of becoming a World City!

And actually, the Civic Centre in its new paint job, with it's new IRT stop and it's pasta drainer, will be quite at home when Cape Town is WORLD design capital in 2014!
Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:11 PM   #2159
Earthrider

Likes (Received): 0

Bud, seriously if this is the most intellectual response you can come with you're an idiot. Do you even know what MyCiTi is all about. Do some reading, that is if if you know how to read, or shut up, you are embarrassing the rest of us, if you can't do that go find another forum for imbeciles.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 05:12 PM   #2160
MrChavcore

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthrider View Post
Bud, seriously if this is the most intellectual response you can come with you're an idiot. Do you even know what MyCiTi is all about. Do some reading, that is if if you know how to read, or shut up, you are embarrassing the rest of us, if you can't do that go find another forum for imbeciles.
huh? who is that in response to? a bit harsh no?
MrChavcore no está en línea   Reply With Quote