daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Northern Ireland

Northern Ireland For projects and construction in Belfast and the North

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 83 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 13th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #3721
PJRODP

Likes (Received): 1

[QUOTE=BeanieNI;88455096]
Quote:
Originally Posted by belfast exile View Post

Also - is there an extension or something going onto the Musgrave St. police station of Victoria St? - large glovers crane on site and about 4 floors worth of steel framework already up.
That will be the next phase of the Police station ie. carpark part.
PJRODP no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 13th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #3722
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 2103

[QUOTE=PJRODP;88505601]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanieNI View Post

That will be the next phase of the Police station ie. carpark part.
Yeah it's the secure carpark for police vans and vehicles. I think some judges and high profile court personnel will have access as well.

Atlantean Empire SC4 City Journal :: Northern Ireland Forum :: Perseus SC4 City Journal
belfastuniguy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #3723
BeanieNI

Likes (Received): 0

Cheers guys.
BeanieNI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #3724
hypnotoad24

Likes (Received): 40

Another hotel! I wonder where exactly this is... i assume it is some part of the area of what would have been the Lincoln Centre development?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17029953
hypnotoad24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 10:40 AM   #3725
G2GAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnotoad24 View Post
Another hotel! I wonder where exactly this is... i assume it is some part of the area of what would have been the Lincoln Centre development?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17029953
It is this one at the back entrance to the train station:

http://www.futurebelfast.com/st-andr...are-hotel.html
G2GAP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #3726
thevanishin

Likes (Received): 9

Considering the depths of recession we find ourselves in, the first two months of 2012 have been pretty good for developments in Belfast.

That's the second hotel in Dublin Road/Great Vic Street area announced this week. We can look forward to seeing two less car parks! It is shocking, however, that the St Andrew's Square hotel has been waiting on planning permission for over two years. How different would the city look now if there had been no delays?

I tried looking for a more detailed design for the hotel, but I couldn't find it. Instead, I found a proposal for this:

I think that instead, the city was bestowed with this monstrosity?
thevanishin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #3727
hypnotoad24

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevanishin View Post
I think that instead, the city was bestowed with this monstrosity?
Speaking of that, it bears more than a passing similarity to the St Andrews Square hotel proposal image on futurebelfast! Hopefully whatever plans they come up with are a little better.
Old February 15th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #3728
plank007

Likes (Received): 23

If that had of been anywhere else in the UK (Leeds, Manchester etc) it would be aluminum clad and horrible. At least it uses brick and concrete.

Would you prefer these leeds monstrosities...

plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #3729
Ripper_Roo_NI

Likes (Received): 2

Its a great shame that the lincoln centre seems to have gone down the tube, that part of the street needs something more than a few car parks. Hopefully this new hotel gets other proposals moving in the next few months.
Old February 16th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #3730
citybus

Likes (Received): 55

I like the Ibis hotel and the adjoining block of flats, I think it looks 50 times better than that render for the new Etap hotel a few posts above. Though it's hardly helped by this:

image hosted on flickr

I don't really get that trend in architecture where they says "sure it doesnt matter if it's shit looking round the back, no one will see it", only the 'back' of the building is out for everyone to see.

Incidentally what is going to be in this vacant spot in Chichester Street

image hosted on flickr
citybus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #3731
hypnotoad24

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybus View Post
I like the Ibis hotel and the adjoining block of flats, I think it looks 50 times better than that render for the new Etap hotel a few posts above.
Yeah, it does add a good bit of bulk to the view as you drive down Great Victoria Street, and it does an excellent job of hiding the Castlecourt car park.

Speaking of ETAP- i just did a quick image search of ETAP UK, to see what they tend to look like. The results are not encouraging:

Ones abroad are, astonishingly, ever worse:

I can't wait to see what load of arse gets landed on Dublin Road. If it turns out to be shite- and, frankly, the omens are good- it would be interesting to ask the planners how it got passed, while Aurora got rejected. As a building of that design is surely just as "out of character" in the area. I know it's a budget hotel chain, but this is a city centre site, and should not look it was designed by a drunk on an etch-a-sketch.

Obviously, I could be wrong, and we could get a decent design.... but i'm not putting any money on it!
Old February 18th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #3732
PJRODP

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2GAP View Post
It is this one at the back entrance to the train station:

http://www.futurebelfast.com/st-andr...are-hotel.html
It's a pity st.andrews square couldn't be used as an open space with buildings built around it forming a square
PJRODP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 01:16 AM   #3733
belfastboy08
belfastboy08

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Leeds_Etap_hotel.jpg

This isn't too bad :/
belfastboy08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:22 PM   #3734
thevanishin

Likes (Received): 9

Fence and scaffolding was being erected around the Carlisle Methodist church earlier. Has anyone heard what's going on inside, or is this just a short term measure to keep it standing?
thevanishin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 04:15 AM   #3735
cmcc11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevanishin View Post
Fence and scaffolding was being erected around the Carlisle Methodist church earlier. Has anyone heard what's going on inside, or is this just a short term measure to keep it standing?
Historic city church to be saved

(UKPA) – Feb 9, 2012

A derelict church building in Belfast is to be saved from collapse.

Dense foliage and tree branches climb up the side of the stone facade at Carlisle Memorial Methodist Church at the edge of north Belfast, which enjoys international recognition of its endangered status.

Experts will be drafted in to secure the 1875 building, which has lain empty for 30 years, and prevent it from deteriorating further using £400,000 of Environment Agency money.

Shane Quinn, development officer at the Belfast Buildings Preservation Trust, said: "There is clear evidence from the local community that this building is valued by them, there is a sense of loss, it is important that it be built up long-term."

Carlisle Memorial was named after Lord Carlisle, former viceroy of Ireland, and James Carlisle, the Belfast builder who constructed it in memory of his son.

Once the heart of a thriving Methodist community, the neo-gothic style church suffered a body blow when the Westlink motorway was built alongside it in the mid-1960s.

This, together with the outbreak of violence which was at its most intense in the local area, helped prompt the closure of the church in 1982.

The World Monuments Fund in 2010 recognised it as one of the 100 most endangered historic buildings in the world. Others on the list include the Taj Mahal and the Great Wall of China.

Mr Quinn added: "We have no definite planned use for the building. We are at the beginning of a process of working with the local communities so that we can evolve a solution."

Environment Minister Alex Attwood said: "Carlisle Memorial is a jewel in our historical crown and after its conservation it will have a great beneficial impact for the economy, tourism and for health and well being."
cmcc11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:57 PM   #3736
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 2103

Very pleased! Absolutely detest fly posting.

Quote:
Belfast City Council to make venues tackle fly-posting

Belfast City Council is set to make entertainment venues responsible for removing fly-posters in the city.

The licensing committee has approved plans which would see conditions on fly-posting attached to entertainment licences issued to pubs and clubs.

The venue would be required to ensure that fly-posting was not used to advertise the premises and to remove any fly-posters which did go up.

The committee's decision will come before the full council on 1 March.
BBC NEWS

Atlantean Empire SC4 City Journal :: Northern Ireland Forum :: Perseus SC4 City Journal
belfastuniguy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 02:37 PM   #3737
hypnotoad24

Excellent news.

Article updating on the progress of the offshroe wind turbine assembly point at Belfast harbour. The article also mentions that Belfast Harbour is in serious discussion about a number of related high profile projects. Good news!

http://www.agendani.com/belfast-harb...ffshore-energy
Old March 12th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #3738
Northern Irish guy

Northern Irish guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #3739
Northern Irish guy

Northern Irish guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #3740
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 126

Fantastic photos. What an impressive city Belfast has grown into. I can't wait to visit again.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: